Conflicted Hearts

Seven Days

For a short moment Sungjong thought he heard his phone ringing and the unsettling silence that followed was overwhelming he got out of the bath puts on his robe and headed to the bedroom.

Myungsoo was silently sitting on the edge of the bed with with a blank cold expression, the phone lying beside him.

Sungjong instantly knew it’s too late still he quietly went up and took his phone. The call log registered one missed call.

 

“How long has this been going on?” The older boy said in a quiet tone but Sungjong can feel the anger coming off his “boyfriend”. “ That number, where did you get it?”

 

“Myung… I’m sorry I was meaning to tell you…”

 

“How long have you been talking to him?! Dam*** it Sungjong!” Myungsoo finally burst in anger, “Tell me!”

 

“ I… I met him a few days ago” Sungjong drop his shoulders, giving in. “ I’ve been meeting him since”

 

“You’ve been what?” the older boy can’t believe what he’s hearing, “ Don’t tell the reason you’ve been disappearing is because of him?!”

 

Sungjong took a deep breath, “He came to me telling he could help about your condition.” the younger boy was losing his confidence to talk seeing the fury in his partner’s eyes.

 

“Condition?” now Myungsoo just sounded sarcastic and in denial, “ it’s only nightmares, it will go away. Whatever the dam* thing he’s saying it’s not true!I’m doing alright! Why does every dam* move I make he always want to control it!”

 

“Myungsoo, you’re not alright. You’ve been suffering for far too long. He said if you go home he can help”

 

“What the hell you know about me!? Dam**t! You want to get rid of me too?!” Sungjong could only closed his eyes hearing the furniture came crashing on the floor.

 

“No, it’s not like that. I don’t want to see you suffering anymore. Myungsoo it’s not your fault, what happened.”

 

There was a sudden dreading silence inside the room. Myungsoo’s hand was trembling and he was panting from the short outbursts awhile ago but hearing Sungjong he froze like a bucket of cold water dumped on him.

 

“What did he tell you?” He grabbed Sungjong by the upper arm in a tight grip, “ You don’t know anything, You know nothing!”

 

“Myungs… Myungsoo please you’re hurting me. Let go” the younger boy flinched at the growing pain on his arms.

 

“Why do everyone lie! I thought of all people you’re the only one I could trust!”

 

“Trust?” it was Sungjong’s turn to be sarcastic as he forcefully pulled his hands off his roommate’s grip, “ I’ve been waiting all this time for you to tell me. I wanted to ask about the nightmares, about you, about your family I have so many questions but I keep thinking I should wait for you. But did you ever tell me anything? Nothing! I look like an idiot waiting for you to at least trust me!”

 

For Sungjong this is now a do or die situation, “ You know what there are times I asked myself if I really meant something to you or what if I’m just the perfect excuse you need! Trust?! You don’t know sh** anything about that word! We’re friends? So how come every time I thought we are I realize I don’t know a g*****n thing about you!”

 

 “ All I ever wanted was to help you! Is there something wrong with that?” The young man choked on his words as his tears fall. “ Damm*t Myungsoo, you don’t know how painful it is seeing you suffer and I can’t do anything about it.”  

 

“I can’t… I don’t want to drag you further into this hell.” Myungsoo said taking his coat and headed by the door.

 

“Where are you going?!”

 

“Somewhere you can’t see me suffering” saying as he slammed the door.

 

Sungjong felt his strength leaving his knees and slumps to the floor. His energy has been drained completely out of his body yet he feels lighter. If only he could stop his tears from falling on their own.

 

“Hey where were you yesterday?” Woohyun greeted his friend with a tap on the shoulder. The younger boy turns around and the former looked stunned, “ Whoa! You okay? What the heck happened to you? You looked like a walking dead!”

 

“This is nothing, I just didn’t get enough sleep last night” Sungjong nods as he was too weak to move his body. After Myungsoo had left he just sat there on the floor looking soulless he can’t even remember if he slept or just stared at the ceiling till morning comes “ were you looking for me yesterday?”  

 

“ Ah no, it was Myungsoo he was searching for you every where” Woohyun paused, “ did you had a real fight this time?”

 

“Fight huh? Do I even have the right to?” the younger boy made no effort denying it.

 

“Don’t worry about it, couples fight all the time then they make up in no time”

 

Couple? I want to laugh. If we’re only like that then I could have the reason to call him or even send him a message. Sungjong thought silently his mood getting damper.

 

“What did you two fight about this time?” Woohyun asked in curiosity.

 

“He… he kinda got angry about someone” Sungjong said finding the rights words to his sentence.

 

“Wo.ow” The older friend made sure to give emphasis on his word, “ He got jealous? Myungsoo, the guy who up until now girls are still flocking to is jealous of someone?”

“It’s not jealousy” I wish. It’s more like I stepped into the boundary Sungjong sighed.

“  Just let it pass, you’ll make in no time. It’s like you’re cheating or anything right?” Woohyun joked.

“There’s nothing to cheat about hyung” the younger boy said.

 

“Come on! Cheer up will you! Let’s get some food later ”

 

“Nah, I have to go home early just in case”

 

“If you say so. You two will be fine in no time” Woohyun gently pats his friend’s shoulder and bade goodbye

 

Four days passed after Myungsoo left. No phone calls, no email, and he’s not showing up in his classes either. Since their fight Sungjong had made extra measures to avoid Sunggyu. He doesn’t answer nor reply to the latter’s call or messages and he even changed his route to avoid if Myungsoo’s brother might be waiting on the school gate. Each day that passes by Sungjong’s worries grew, he can’t eat nor sleep proper just staring at his phone hoping for a call.

 

He tried writing a message but an hour had gone by and his message box is still empty. He’s running out of the things to do, he doesn’t know where Myungsoo works, and he doesn’t know anyone who’s connected to Myungsoo except Sunggyu and…

 

“Yes, he’s staying at my place right now”

 

Sungjong’s hunch we’re confirmed. He had been looking for Sungyeol and caught him just before fashion model was about to leave school. If there’s anyone who knew where his runaway friend might be it’s him..

 

“Oh, uhmm. Is he alright?”

 

“ This has happened before and I’m used to it. He’ll come to his sense sooner or later” Sungyeol said eyeing Sungjong from head to toe. “ I must say I was surprised you’re willing to go with his insanities. He should pay you extra for what he caused”

 

“pay?” Sungjong felt a sick feeling forming in his gut.

 

“ Yeah, I mean all the pretending about going out with him should deserve extra credit, don’t you think so?”

 

“ he told you?”

 

“He tells me everything but it’s not like I want to know. I don’t really care what he does but... you know I can’t wrap my head around the thought that you’re all doing this for the money.”

 

Sungjong froze.

 

He could feel the cold chill run up his spine, “ As he told you I needed the money. I wanted to tell him that even if he’s not going to go home soon I will still charge him. Kindly pass the message.” Sungjong mustered all his energy to smile and immediately turns around to leave.

                

 

..................................................................................IDEviant............................................................................................

someone's in deep deep trouble....