I'm Sorry I Remember

Seven Days

When forever was just about to start Sungjong stepped out of the bath. As he walked back into their room the curtains were drawn back to reveal the open floor to ceiling window letting the sea breeze in. Myungsoo was sitting on a thick picnic blanket in the balcony strumming a guitar.

 

“ hey… I can only find wine” the older boy said referring to a bottle resting on a bucket of ice.

 

“ hmm… liquor and music. How festive”

 

“ aww, isn’t this what broken hearted people do? At least let me have the right to be one” Myungsoo smiled as he poured the two wine glasses.

 

The younger boy shook his head with a faint forced smile on his lips. He was glad that the balcony had only the moon’s dim light upon them. He’s still not confident on how red his eyes are from crying his heart out in the shower.

 

“ it’s getting colder, let’s go back inside”

 

“ Can we stay in for a bit. This might be the last time that I get to see this scenery with you” Myungsoo said as his breathe freezes into the air. When the younger took a seat next to him he wrapped the warm blanket across Sungjong’s shoulder.

 

“ I didn’t know you know you can play the guitar.”

 

“ my dad used to play one back in the days. I just like to play a few strings”

 

“ yeah.” Sungjong didn’t know how to reply so he busied himself with downing down the glass of wine.

 

“ ah, it started to clear up… Remember back then when he had dinner at the rooftop? I promised to let you see more stars.” Myungsoo smiled as he gaze up the sky and the gibbous moon appeared from the clouds along with the twinkling to dotted lights scattered in the sky, “ Now I can”

 

Sungjong looked at the up but then closes his eyes as if the bleary light of the distant stars are enough to blind him, “ yeah, it’s been awhile since I looked at the stars”

 

The older boy grunted in agreement. “ wonder if we can see some falling, it’ll be fun to make a wish.”

 

“ yeah. I’d be nice” but the night only got colder.

 

“ Sungjong-ah, you have a wish?”

 

“ wishes don’t come true. You have to work on it to come true”

 

“ awww… that’s so unromantic” Myungsoo grinned as he played a few strings, “ come on just one. For yourself.”

 

Sungjong’s lips pursed a one syllable three letter word that starts with “why” and ended with “oh” and “ you” in a small mumble to himself.

 

“ What?”

 

“ nothing… nothing I was just going to ask you if you have any” the younger boy said.

 

“ I have one” Myungsoo smiled looking at his friend.

 

“ hmm… let me guess to be with someone you’ve been dreaming of all this time?” Sungjong said in a teasing sarcastic tone

 

“ Yah Lee Sungjong is that how low do you think of me?!” the older boy shot back acting hurt but the younger boy know better. Myungsoo saw that Sungjong seemed cold so he moved closer and instinctively pulled for the younger boy’s head to rest on his shoulder.

 

“said the guy who followed his first love into the same university and getting drunk each night for being rejected and then had his roommate take care of him every night.”

 

“ Wow. I actually can’t argue with that. Ha-ha-ha god I sounded so much like an idiot didn’t I?” Myungsoo chuckled remembering the old days then his face soften as if he remembered something, “ you know, all this time I keep remembering this dream I had. It was so real I thought it really happened.”

 

“ What?”

 

“ nah, you’re going to punch me if I tell you”

 

“I’ll punch you anyways”

 

“ha-ha touche, well….  don’t beat me okay? But I actually dreamed of kissing you back then. One when I was drunk and kissed you but you were awake and you kissed me back and the other was when you were asleep and I kissed you” a sudden comical splutter of wine can be heard from the victim side.

 

“ Are you drunk?!”

 

“I’m sober… I mean no. I was drunk then but I’m sober now… but I think I’m getting drunk now?? Myungsoo panicked a but thinking the violence that lies ahead but the two of them locked on each other’s eyes before bursting into laughter.

 

“ that was a dream” Sungjong replied with a sad smile on his face after their laughter died down.

 

“ hmm.. well I actually want to confess. I don’t think the other one is a dream” Myungsoo said referring to him kissing his sleeping roommate back then.

 

“ you… you remembered?” Sungjong looked shocked.

 

“ euh? It wasn’t a dream?”

 

…*silence

 

“ Whoah! Really I really did kissed you back then?! I mean whoa really? I thought for sure I was dreaming since you didn’t beat me up!” the older boy looked like a kid with a stupid grinning look on his face.

 

“idiot! How can I beat someone so drunk anyways?!” Sungjong can feel the heat rising up to his cheeks, “ just forget about it, I was in the moment back then and I forgot about it already” I’m lying I remembered everything

 

you’re awake back then?” Myungsoo asked confused by his friend’s reply. “ I kissed you when you were asleep so there’s no way …”

 

*silence

 

Sungjong realized that he and Myungsoo weren’t on the same page and he started to scramble for answer.

 

“ I mean, after that I woke up and see your face close to mine I thought you did it but I was too sleepy so I went back to sleep.”

 

“ oh… that make sense” Myungsoo looked disappointed but smiled.

 

“ yeah.” *awkward.

 

“ yeah… fun time he-he” *le silence

 

Sungjong clears his throat to signal a change of topic,” we better go to sleep. We have to leave early tomorrow.”

 

“ we… we can uhmm…” Myungsoo looked for a way to delay the time but he can’t get anything, “ you’re right, we should wake up early. I’m … I’m gonna have another glass then I’ll follow you”

 

“ okay” The younger boy slightly nodded when he stood up he can feel his himself getting dizzy. He then crawled into the bed over-looking Myungsoo on the balcony.

 

Saying he want to sleep is easy, falling isn’t. Sungjong lie on the bed looking at Myungsoo’s back.

 I want to sleep to forget the pain but I’m afraid that if I close my eyes time will fast forward and we’re no longer together.

 

A few minutes later Myungsoo stood on his chair and wobbled a bit after gulping down two whole glasses of wine. He walked back in and sat on the floor leaning by Sungjong’s side of the bed.

Just as he did the clouds that were once covering the moon clears up and the moonlight entered the room slowly illuminating the room.

 

“ hey, Sungjong-ah are you asleep?”

 

…. *silence

 

“ hmmm… looks like this is probably the last time I will have you here with me like this huh? I … that night” the older boy let out a deep sigh as he looked up at the moon mumbling to himsel, “ that kiss, I remember it.”

Sungjong felt a familiar warmth embracing him. As he turned around Myungsoo had wrapped his hands on the younger boy’s body pulling him closer. He pretended to be asleep but when he felt the older boy’s breathe whispering something in his ears his tears started to flow.

 

“I’m sorry. Please be happy”

 

 

 

.................................................................................IDeviant..................................................................................................................