The What if and the Would You Question

Seven Days

Dinner proved to be most awkward.

 

Sungjong couldn’t eat anything during the meal.

Sungyeol tried to make simple conversations but got nodding as replies.

Sunggyu keep calm but his nervousness showed when he tried to use fork in his soup.

Myungsoo looked placid but he had been holding Sungjong’s hand under the table.

 

That was by far the longest and quietest meal any of the characters felt they had. Less than an hour later they were on the study and they were being served tea.

 

“I’ll excuse myself first. I’m a bit tired from the travel. I’ll be heading in our room” It was Sungjong who spoke first trying to make space so that the two brother could talk.

 

“ don’t tire yourself out, don’t worry everything’s going to be fine” Myungsoo said in a calm small voice.

 

“ I think I should leave too.” Sungyeol spoke and followed the young boy out finally leaving the two brothers to themselves.

 

Once outside Sungjong started to walk up back to the room he and Myungsoo were sharing.

 

“ Mind if I ask you to join me? I really didn’t eat anything during dinner and I’m starving” Sungyeol offered with a smile.

“uhmm…” Sungjong hesitated. Ever since they arrived this morning Sungyeol made no attempt to avoid Myungsoo or Sungjong but the younger boy can’t help to feel that the former had been cautious of his own actions.

 

“ I insist. There’s a garden at the side of the house we could have tea and desserts instead”

 

“Sure”

 

“ so you finally did it” Sungyeol said as pouring a cup of tea to the younger boy.

 

“ did what?”

 

“ something all of us has been trying for long time to do. For that kid to talk to his older brother. I was surprised among… other things”

 

“ I didn’t do anything. He decided to do this on his own, as a friend all I could do is to support him”

 

“ then you must’ve done something to made him like that. Frankly I’m starting to get tired of this charade. I don’t know how much more I can handle before I burst everything out”

 

“ about… about what happened at the clinic. There’s nothing between me and Sunggyu”

 

The older boy paused and said nothing instead he stared out into the harbour up ahead before deciding to speak.

 

“I met Sunggyu during our middle school. My parents had just gotten out of a messy divorce, my mom gave up the custody and dad sent me off to live with some relatives. I was a transferred student, tall and lanky. I got teased of being a repeat just because I was taller than other kids. I hated everything. But then one day this kid came and during class he walked up to me and asked if I could be his model.

Everyone laughed at him for choosing me as his art pair but he didn’t mind. ”

 

“ I want to be your partner will that be okay with you?”

 

“are you sure? You.. you could find some” the young Sungyeol stuttered.

 

“ I wouldn’t ask you if I’m not and besides teacher said draw whatever is pretty to me”

 

“Later I found out that he wasn’t even in that class and he just happened to pass by and saw me. The teacher really did a number on him that day.” Sungyeol laughed a bit remembering the past.

 

 “ha.. back then I probably fell in love with him. He never judge me based on what I have or who I am. Back then he used to smile a lot, but he smiled the brightest talking about his little brother. He could talks hours and hours about him that sometimes I was jealous and wished I could on his side instead”

 

“ the last time that I saw him smile was when we parted shortly before he was sent to the hospital . I visited him and we promised we would go buy doughnuts with his younger brother. He was still smiling then” the older boy took one deep breathe.

 

Then the accident happened. He was all bandaged up in the hospital, he knew his mom died but all he asked about if how was his brother. I attended his mom’s funeral in his place and met his younger brother for the first time.

 

When he got out of the hospital I knew that Sunggyu had already changed. He grew up and he was only eleven.

 

He quit school here and went overseas to study. After four years he came home and took over the family business brought it to success and continues it until today.

 

I thought taking care of his younger brother would help him. Instead I created another problem” Sungyeol sighed.

 

“Problem?” Sungjong asked.

 

“ Sunggyu was planning to have his brother take over the business once Myungsoo graduates.He even made sure to that he would end up in a business school but then Myungsoo ran away and before we know it he was admitted here. But it was not the reason why he ran away. Myungsoo found out the Sunggyu had been profiling prospect brides for him.”

 

“but Myungsoo… to you”

 

“ When Myungsoo confessed to me the first time I thought he was just joking but when he confessed to me again during his high school graduation* I was so angry. All I ever wanted was to help the person I love but now it seems like I created an even bigger problem. I was determined to make sure Sunggyu’s dreams came true. I wanted him to be happy.”

 

The younger boy looked at Sungyeol, “ but what if … what if Sunggyu never said he wanted Myungsoo to marry a girl and have family. Would you?”

 

“ would I what?” Sungyeol ask not getting the point.

 

“ Would you consider being with Myungsoo. You said it before… you tried, does it mean there’s a possibility?”

 

“ I.. I don’t..” Sungyeol gravely shook his head but his words were hesitating.

 

“ if what you think is true that Sungyeol wanted Myungsoo to marry a girl, then when he knew I was dating his brother he would’ve done things to separate us. Instead we became friends and he even helped me when I was sick.”

 

“ you’re the miscalculation. Sunggyu fell for you”

 

“ no, I don’t think he truly did. From the start he knew it’s clear we can only be friends. Did Sunggyu-hyung really said that he wanted Myungsoo to marry a girl?”

 

“ no he said he wanted him to marry and be happy… and the pictures.

 

“ then if there’s a possibility you would accept him right?”

 

There was pause on the other side. Sungjong was calm waited for the answer but he felt like a thousand needles just jagged his heart.

 

“ it’s impossible now” the older boy finally answered.

 

“ it’s not. You know we’re only pretending right? Sooner or later we had to end this. I too have to go on with my life. I’m planning on applying for scholarship overseas and after I lost the competition. If Myungsoo were able to sort this he will no longer need me.”

 

“ so I asked again, would you?” Sungjong firmly looked at the person in front of him. He fears that if he look away then his tears might gave away.

 

“ you don’t understand what I’m saying is…” Sungyeol was interrupted when he saw someone arrived.

 

“you would what hyung?” Myungsoo asked again what he heard, “you two seemed to be having a good time.”

 

“ we were just passing time, he was asking me if I will accept the acting gig offered to me”

 

“oh right the one with the zombie and train plot?” Myungsoo sat beside Sungjong and took his boyfriend’s hand to gently hold it, “ I thought you’re tired? Should we head up and rest?”

“ did you and Sunggyu?” Sungyeol asked thinking that the brother’s conversation seemed to short but more than two hours had past already since they left the study.

 

“ we did, I gave him some time and I think we’re alright now” Myungsoo walked up to the younger boy and gently run his fingers through Sungjong’s neck.

 

“ I… I’ll head up first and leave you two here” Sungjong said as he abruptly stood up and almost run up to their room when he bumped into Myungsoo’s older brother.

 

“ Sungjong, what happened are you alright? You almost fell down the stairs” Sunggyu said holding the younger boy by the waist.

 

“ I would be glad if you stop touching my boyfriend, hyung” Myungsoo appeared, “ I’ll take it from here…” he said as he took Sungjong and carried him bridal style up to their bedroom ( despite obvious futile protest!), “ as for you mister, you’ll be punished for not waiting for me.No sleeping tonight”

 

“ euh? Wha…what. Yah Kim Myungsoo! don’t joke like that! Put me down this instant or I’ll F*****NG beat you! Yah! don’t this is embarrassing! Stop you…hmmpf hmmpf” Sungjong flailed hid body to get away from his captor but suddenly Myungsoo took his lips. Right in the middle of the stairs with Sunggyu and now Sungyeol watching.

 

“Sheesh, I told him it’s already too late and he won’t believe me” Sungyeol said to himself.

 

“ hrrrrmmm. I suggest you two head back to your room” Sunggyu said leaving in the direction of the bar, “ mind if you join me?” he asked his childhood friend

 

“Sure. I need a drink or two myself.”

 

........................................................................................................IDeviant....................................................................................................

after watching the long ver. teaser of the "Clock" i feel like i gained a whole new level of energy. This is what we've been waiting for!!!! 

I can't help but still watch out for my otp. XD 

as i write i began to realize that the house i kept describing feel smore like the original concept which is the Studio Ghibli When Marnie was there type of house. if you're wondering why  changed the the description of the house is that the original concept looked too extravagant but i still want to retain the concept of the Kim family starting from humble begginings. ^_^ 

if there are inconsistencies along the way I do apologize