Simple things in a Friendship

Seven Days

is what makes it all worthwhile.

Chapter II:

The moment Sungjong heard a thud by the window his body shot right up and went in to rescue his roommate who was stuck struggling to get in.

            “What the hell happened to you?” Sungjong exclaimed seeing Myungsoo’s upper body managed to get into the room while the half was obviously left behind.

            “Haha, went bar… hic… hic… saw them… drank...” Myungsoo managed to explain in a gibberish stutter. He did not make any effort to struggle when Sungjong grab his arms and began to pull him in. “Good… hic… guy… my roommate… wish…” before he could even add another drunk word Myungsoo and Sungjong fell on the floor.

            “Augh. You’re heavy jeez, get off you drunk” Sungjong was finally able to breathe after just pulling such a hefty load off the window but now his roommate was lying on top of him.

            Myungsoo, obviously have no idea what he was doing cupped Sungjong’s cheeks, “ Awww, don’t… hic… grumpy… not… cu…” this time Myungsoo cut his own words to stare his roommate’s lips as though for a moment his eyes looked sober and without another words leaned in for a kiss. “ Sungyeol… hyung… he”

            Sungjong could not move, while his roommate had rolled beside him and instantly fell asleep a while ago, he remained wide awake. His lips warm, his cheeks rogue, and his heart is feeling something weird.

Next morning,

            “Sungyeol, you mean Lee Sungyeol? The third year model?” Taemin, Sungjong’s classmate asked upon hearing the name.

            “Probably, you know him?” Sungjong asked.

            “What do you mean, you know him? He’s quiet famous model you know, tall and good looking. I even heard Vogue got him for this month's cover” Taemin informed.

            “Oh, I see. It’s a guy.” Sungjong said to himself.

            “A guy? What do you mean? Anyways what about him?” Woohyun asked. He and Sungjong became friends during entrance exams. He’s quiet loud buy nonetheless a good person.

            “Nothing, it’s just I heard the name and wonder who it might be” Sungjong nervously commented, he couldn’t possibly tell that him roommate kissed him and said the name right?

            “He’s quite a celebrity here at school so you might bump into him one of these days” Taemin commented.

            “Yeah” Sungjong nodded, but something tells him it’ll be more than that.

            “Jong... Sungjong hey”

            “Eugh? Ah Yes?” the owner of the name was surprised to see Myungsoo already standing in front of him. On reflex, his body back out a bit, “Don’t come up and surprise me like that man”

            “Oh sorry, I called a few times but seems you didn’t heard me” Myungsoo said.

            “What do you want?” Sungjong asked.

            “Ah, last night I was pretty wasted I could not even remember how I got home. I assumed you helped me, thanks” Myungsoo made a warm smile. “I was pretty wasted aren’t I, I’ll treat you to lunch later?

            “No need, but next time don’t take in more than you could handle. It’s good that you did not got caught but you if you get into an accident while at it you’re gonna be in a lot of trouble.” Sungjong stood up with a blank expression on his face, “I’ll leave first”

            “Oh, uhmm yeah okay” Myungsoo rubbed his temples while smiling, “see you back in the dorms”

            “Sure” Sungjong nonchalant, left. While his friends, look at each other in question.

Sungjong’s POV

                        He’s too drunk. I know it. It’s only natural that he would forget something like that. But I suddenly felt annoyed. Huh?

                        Annoyed? Why would I be?

                        He’s drunk, it’s only a given. Was I annoyed because I was just sleep deprived? Or that he said he forgot? No, it’s not like that… probably.

                        Was it because up until now I realized that I don’t know a thing about him? I was annoyed seeing the wall he built around him and that I couldn’t get into it? And he choose to get himself drunk every night. The heck, we’re friends right?

                        What should I do from now on, if he continue to get drunk like that every time who knows how long it’ll be till he got caught. As his friend, I can’t allow that.

                        Where this is going, I don’t like it.

                        It’s his life, but if it’s hurting him like that then as a friend I should at least be able to lend him a hand. Even if it means I have to tear down that wall with my bare hands.

                        After here I should head back to the dorms, I should start to mend this little by little.

End of POV

            However work dragged on, it was way half past seven and Sungjong was still in school trying to help the drama club. He was only supposed to make costume designs but he also ended up helping on making the props.

            “Sungjong, someone was looking for you” Kai, one of the drama club members approached him.

            “Who is it?” Sungjong asked without looking up.

            “Hey, I’s me” Myungsoo appeared smiling.

            The latter was surprise and got up. “Myungsoo, what are you doing here?”

            “Well, you’re late. I asked around and wound up here. I tried to call you phone but no answer”

            “Oh sorry, I didn’t notice.”

            “Nah, no problem. You done yet?”

            “Probably in a few minutes, why?” Sungjong went back on his work.

            “Dinner, let’s grab some on the way home” Myungsoo said wlooking happy, “It’s my way of saying please take care of me again too”

            The two friends look at each other for a moment and bursts into laughter.

            “Sorry I kinda lost my cool back then too, I didn’t get a wink since you…” Sungjong just barely slipped on his words. “Since you were snoring like a giant”

            “My bad, then let me treat you to dinner” Myungsoo said.

            “You sure? I won’t hold back myself then.” Sungjong smirk, “I’ll have the most expensive thing on the menu to order later.

An hour later,

Sungjong and Myungsoo walked out of the convenience store carrying two plastic bags.

“Hey, I thought I’m taking you to dinner” Myungsoo said looking at the store bought dinner they were carrying. He thought they would be going to a restaurant but Sungjong just pushed him inside the convenience store.

“You are, I want a quiet place with a 360degree view of the city, so we’re going to my favourite place” Sungjong said as he happily took the lead walking home.

“Of course, why am I even surprised” Myungsoo couldn’t help but laugh as they opened the steel door leading to their dorm’s rooftop.

“Well, I like the view and it’s free” Sungjong grinned. They used an old study table and two wooden chairs, set it up near edge of the fenced rooftop and enjoyed the city lights with their expensive dinner of Onigiri, fried chicken, and kimchi maki along with a pack of cold root beers. For dessert, they had pudding and strawberry short cake all courtesy by the convenience store nearby.

            “Aah! That hit the spot” Sungjong said after emptying a can of root beer. Only the some of the fried chicken survived after dinner.

            Myungsoo chuckled watching his roommate stretching out like a cat, “on the rooftop” he mumbled and couldn’t help from chortling.

            “Why you laughing?” Sungjong asked.

            “No nothing, you just reminded me of something” Myungsoo smiled, when he glanced at his roommate, Sungjong was gazing up the night sky.

            “You know, I used to live in a small town when I was a kid.” Sungjong started, “every night I would sneak out to watch at the stars for hours till mosquitoes practically used me as their blood bank”

            Myungsoo laughed.

            “Then when we moved away because of my dad’s work into the city the stars seemed to have dwindled.” Sungjong opened another can and took a sip. “When I asked my mom why that is, know what she told me?”

            Myungsoo fell silent. He looked at the calm expression on his roommate's face looking up. “What?”

            Slowly his friend looked at him, cleared his throat and in a high pitched voice, “You brat! you still have time to watch the stars when your grades are falling like meteors!!”

            For a split second Myungsoo looked at Sungjong’s face as if confused followed by a thurdering laughter.

            “Shoot, you almost got me there” Myungsoo said, wiping the tears off his face.

            “She practically sent me studying for my life after that. Man, she’s scary” Sungjong shuddered recalling the summer before he went to high school.

            “You’re really funny, no wonder back then your friends always seemed to be having a good time around you”

“There’s more to where it came from, but for now it made you laugh so I guess for nor that’s good enough” Sungjong was unaware of how warm his smile is.

            “What do you mean?” Myungsoo was still trying to calm himself from the hysterical moment they had back there.

            “Nothing, it’s only natural you want to cheer a friend up because his feeling down right?”

            “Ah, I’ve been worrying you a lot huh?” Myungsoo’s made an apologetic smile.

            “Yeah, you’re a real pain you know that” Sungjong smirked, “But it’s only natural since we’re friends. I won’t ask why, just letting you know you can talk it out.”

            Myungsoo had the looked of surprised on his face. “You know just now, that was very manly of you Lee Sungjong.”

            “You looking for a fight? I’m a man of course I’d be one” Sungjong glared at his friend.

            “Haha, well… things is…” Sungjong’s roommate have a habit of rubbing temples whenever he’s feeling reluctant.

            “Well, for now how about he go back down. It’s getting cold up here” the latter knew it’s not the time yet to pry on things about Myungsoo’s life.

            “Got it” Myungsoo looked relieved, “You go back first, I’ll just throw the trash”

            “Sure”

            “Hey, you know. You’re probably the first friend I will ever have” Myungsoo was grinning at Sungjong.

            “I am, I’ll even cancel all my appointments just to have therapy sessions with you”

            “Thanks, I’ll remember that”

            “You better. Don’t stay too long or you’ll get a cold” Sungjong stood up and patted his roommate’s shoulder, “Hang in there”

            Before the metal door closes between him and Myungsoo, Sungjong heard his friend mumbled a small thank you. Later that night, he heard him said good night while he’s half asleep on his bed. Sungjong made a faint smile before drifting into a deep sleep.

 

 

............................^+^.....................IDeviant..................0-0...........................................

Chapter II! I actually at giving chapter titles! hahaha huhu yeah I'm in process of improving xD

The best part for me in Chapter II is the meteor joke, I really don't know much on writing comedy but I've always wanted to try and the oppurtunity just presented itself. Jjang I was laughing at that joke just imagining Sungjong's expression LOL but proably because as a student it's pretty relatable hahaha Oh boy God Bless Us students of the world. 

 

Chapter Trivia: 

1. Sungjong actually had an accent, he grew up in the country side as a kid. His life's sort of a country bumpkin on the big city (haha nice), and I wanted to portray his delinquent side a little bit by trying to make manly expressions (even though personally I always crack up whenever Sungjong acts like it hahaha)