Unexpected Family

Seven Days

That night was the most peaceful sleep Sungjong had for a long time. Underneath the blanket their hand held unto one another as if an anchor making sure none of them is going to drift apart.

 

The next morning the younger boy woke up in the smell of pancakes and coffee wafting through the air. Outside the sun was shining through the thick freezing air.

 

Sungjong slowly walked down by the stairs he doesn’t know how to react to this seemingly normal scene after so long.  

 

“ hey, morning” The older boy handed him a cup of coffee which the former took quietly.

 

“ I kept thinking it’s been awhile since things like this happened. Are you feeling okay now?”

 

“ yeah. I am” Sungjong smiled but his eyes kept looking form something he seem to keep missing.

 

“ uhmm…   do you have anything planned today?”

 

“ me? Uh no. Why?”

 

“ then it’s perfect. I wanted to go some place with you.”

 

“ oh. Okay” Sungjong don’t know how to act to this compose and calm person in front of him when his phone rang and Sunggyu’s name came through. He felt nervous feeling Myungsoo’s gaze on him.

“ uhmm… it’s Sunggyu. He probably going to ask about you” Sungjong said

 

“ Tell him I’m here and stop calling you to check up on me. I’ll see him soon anyways”

 

“euh?” the younger boy looked bewildered, is this Myungsoo? Did something happened to him? Did he hit his head?

Hey? Do I have something in my face? Sungjong-ah?”

“ ah what? A nothing I’ll just send him a message since the call went unanswered anyways.

 

“ okay. After breakfast we’ll head out okay?”

“ where are we going?”

“ there are some places I wanna visit.” Myungsoo smiled at Sungjong.

 

“A school?” Sungjong breathe a cold air as they got out of the car. After breakfast they head out about an hour drive into a boat headed for one of the biggest island across the mainland. From there another hour or so drive before they arrive at their next destination. At the back of the car are loads of toys and things for kids.

 

“ this used to be my school when I was a kid. Pretty small huh?” Myungsoo smiled as they took out the large shopping bags on the back, “ though it’s more of a school for orphans now since the actual school got shut down some time ago. Some of the kids here have seen a lot living on the streets so you might find them quite boisterous and rowdy”

 

An old couple went to greet them by the entrance and was introduced to the other three staff members of the school. Somewhere inside the building they could hear the loud frolicking voices of kids.

 

“ the owner decided to open a kid center here years ago but soon some of the kids were left behind and the parents never returned so they took them in and in time it turned into an orphanage. There’s a house at the back of the school and sometimes when I want to think I would come here and stay for a few days.”

“ so you were staying here when you left?”

 

“ yeah, no one knew about this place still being here and Sunggyu doesn’t know about it either.”

 

“ so why did you brought me here then? If you disappear again I know where to find you”

 

“nah, it’s okay now. I won’t be running away anymore” Myungsoo said as they arrived at a small classroom and the sound of young children were louder than ever.

 

“ What do you mean…” Sungjong wanted to ask but the door opened and the loud noise shortly died down.

When the kids saw Myungsoo they dropped whatever they’re doing and run happily shouting at the familiar face.


“ L-hyung!! L-hyung! You’re back” the kids are starting to pile up on the older boy calling our a stranger’s name.

“ Elle?” Sungjong asked with a raised brow towards his friend.

“ ah. They call me L-hyung when I first came here and somehow the name stuck.” Myungsoo explained. “ hey now kids, look hyung is with someone”

 

All the giggling stopped and the kids looked at Sungjong with ogled eyes.

 

“ Hello everyone” Sungjong waved with a smile.

 

“Uwaahhhh… pretty” the kids seemed to have shifted their interest on the new person in front of them and completely abandoned Myungsoo.

 

“ hey now, greet him properly. This is your Sungjong-hyung be nice to him okay?”

 

It seems like there’s no need for introduction as the children started to flock around the younger boy while Myungsoo was left to carry the large paper bags inside.

 

When the older boy was finished carrying the bags Sungjong was already sitting on the floor as the girls were braiding his hair and the boys had formed a circle playing Lego together. Myungsoo was smiling looking at them when Sungjong caught him staring.

 

Ah. He’s turned red. It’s been awhile since I saw that smile  Myungsoo thought with a smile not realizing he’s still looking.

 

“ ah. It’s flat! I told you he’s a guy!” a kid shouted as a matter of fact to the other kids after reaching out to touch Sungjong’s chest, “ but he’s pretty and nice so it  doesn’t matter”

 

“ V! you slime mischievous twerp you…don’t touch what doesn’t belong to you!” Myungsoo picked up the kid and put him at an arms length away from Sungjong, “ apologize to your hyung”

 

“ no need I’ll take responsibility and marry him” the kid said not backing up trying to get closer to the target.

 

“haha you two don’t fight.” Sungjong was containing his laughter seeing how the kid and a grown man looked as though they like two kids fighting.

 

“ Sungjong-hyung I will grow up and marry you”

 

Ha…ha why does this scene felt like a deja vu? Sungjong thought to himself.

 

“ You little punk you.  You’re a hundred years too young to talk about marriage ” Myungsoo smirk as he started a rough and tumble play when the other kids saw them they started to pile up on top of Myungsoo.

“ don’t mind those two. They’re always like this when he’s here” an old lady with a pleasant smile said, “ come with me to the kitchen we’ll cook some lunch if that’s okay with you.”

“Sure I’m glad to help.” the younger boy replied.

 

this is the first time he brought someone to come here” The woman explained as they were cutting up the vegetables harvested on the school’s vegetable patch, “ that kid always comes here alone and would stay for weeks on months end in the past. He comes here whenever something bad happens to him. Last week my husband found him dead drunk on the gate of the school then the next day he acted like nothing happened and left saying he’s a busy and someone’s waiting for him to come home. I guess that someone waiting is you then?”

 

“ oh… I uhmm we’re living in the same house and I was worried when he didn’t come home.”

 

“ I was glad he’s found a friend like you. That kid never talks about himself much. When the kids saw him for the first time they thought he looked like a malnourished anime character they almost made fun of him. You see my husband and I could never have kids for us Myungsoo is like our son and we’re constantly worrying if he’s doing fine. Please continue to look after that troublesome kid of ours.”

 

“ I will” Sungjong answered.

 

After lunch the kid was sent to sleep and the adults prepared to have afternoon coffee. While the coffee was being prepared Sungjong stood by the door looking blankly up ahead.

 

“ hey you might catch a cold out here” Myungsoo came with a blanket wrapping it around the younger boy’s body along with his. “ What are you thinking?”

 

“ hmm.. I don’t know. For the past weeks my emotions have been through a roller coaster. One day I wanted to bury you alive in anger the next I just want you to come back safe and sound. Just when I thought I know about everything you came and surprised me again” Sungjong said still looking up ahead not minding that the older boy was gently hugging him from behind.

 

Myungsoo squeezed the slender frame inside his arm and rest his cheeks on Sungjong’s shoulder, “ you’re the one that surprised me the most. No one has put up with me like you do. The way you react on things always leave me speechless. Every time I thought you’ll give up on me just like the others you turn around and hug me. I know I’m undeserving to met you much as have you in my life but for the first time I was glad of a decision I made to stay in the dormitory. Thank you”

 

Hearing the older boy’s last wordsSungjong felt a gust of warm breathe touch the side of his neck . The heat slowly spread from from his neck to his ears and cheeks as the flushed red colour began to fill his pale fair skin.

“ it’s… it was nothing”

....................................................................................IDeviant................................................................'

Author's note on the last  chapter to be updated today