We Bought a Doggie!

Infi The Infinite Infant

Note: It's so choppy, I know...But I primarily wrote it out as a list of all of their potential options. 

 

++++++++++

 

For their first walk through the shelter, the boys opted to leave Infi with staff members in the waiting room. They didn't want her to make too much of a fuss. Especially if any of the dogs barked too loud or scared her with their enthusiasm. From there they'd narrow down which dogs get to meet her and decide from there.

"The puppy, the puppy!" staff pointed out a cute little Golden Retriever puppy to the boys before they passed her by. She was one of the few puppy-aged dogs available and only one of a handful of pure breeds up for adoption.

"Ngh, I don't know...Everyone's so cute~" Dongwoo whined back as he knelt down to greet her. "Waa~ her name's Sunny~ Like from Girls' Generation," he laughed, "Hi Sunny."

"Oh, aww~" staff cooed as the puppy jumped up and all over Dongwoo's hand. 

"Ah!" Hoya was quick to leave the adorable puppy for an older dog's cage a few feet away, "I like this girl over here!"

"Ne, what is she?" Dongwoo asked without looking over. Too busy playing with Sunny through the bars, "Omo, omo, omo." 

"Ne," Hoya grabbed the board, "It says she's a Pitbull mix. One year old. But, it also says that she's chill and loves being lazy."

"Really, a Pitbull? Are you sure?" Dongwoo got up to see. 

"Yeah, just look at her, Hyung," Hoya begged Dongwoo as he walked over to check her out, "Just look at those big blue eyes. She's a sweetheart."

"Aww," Dongwoo agreed. Reaching his hand in-between the bars for the puppy to sniff him, "Oh yeah, you're a big softy, aren't you?"

The Pitbull instantly perked up and Dongwoo's hand. Headbutting and pawing at him for more attention. Her tail wagging like crazy.

"See, she's sweet," Hoya defended himself further when he saw the staff clearly vetoing his pick.  

"Ok ok, let's see who else is up for adoption," PD-nim pushed the boys away from the pup and rushed them to the next one.

"Aish," Hoya glared at him - until Dongwoo pointed out another little cutie. A Beagle.

"Let's check this guy out! Oh, whoops, girl!" Dongwoo corrected himself after reading the board. "She's the same age. Playful and great with children," he recited the information. 

"I guess..." Hoya frowned. Going from Pitbull to Beagle wasn't that exciting... "She's cute too..."

"Ne~," Dongwoo chuckled, taking the hint. Mentally he submitted the Beagle into his own personal list, but he backed away and looked for a more interesting dog. "Whoah, this boy's huge!" 

"Huge?" that caught Hoya's attention.

"Ne, over here!" Dongwoo waved him over towards a cage with an enormous Great Dane. "His name's Chuck!" he laughed.

"Aigoo!" Hoya took one look at the boy and smiled, "He's...too big."

"Ah!? Too big? Too big?" Dongwoo stuttered. 

"Ne, for our apartment, Hyung.." Hoya clarified.

"Oh...right," Dongwoo hadn't considered that, "But, he's cute, right?"

"Of course he's cute," Hoya shook his head at Dongwoo as he looked over Chuck's board, "Whoah, he's only five years old! Wait...that's old in dog years, right?"

"Ne. Whoah, he's pretty old then," Dongwoo gasped.

"But..." Hoya scanned down the board further, "It also says that his owner abandoned him because he was too expensive, and he had to move into a smaller house."

"What!?" Dongwoo looked like he was about to cry, "How could he abandon his baby like that?"

"...I don't know..."

The poor thing looked dejected and didn't bother getting up from his bed to greet them.

"Hey, if we don't get this guy, do you think that one of the guys will want him?" Hoya wondered out loud. "It's not like we're strapped for cash...and he looks so sad..."

"Mmm...Maybe Jong will take him."

 

**********

 

After an hour of walking around the shelter, the boys decided to sit down and discuss their options. Overall, they comprised a list of 12 dogs who really grabbed their attention. 

A: The Golden Retriever puppy (Girl) - Sunny. Taken from a puppy mill.

B: The Energetic and Loud Chihuahua (Boy) - Dongwoo's pick. 2 years old. Just as loud and annoying as he is. 

C: Beautiful black and white Collie mix (Boy) - Sweet and chill. Approx. 1 year. Found wandering the streets. 

D: German Shepard-Akita mix (Shepkita) (Girl) - Sweet and energetic, but a bit irritable. 5 months. 

E: Pitbull mix (Girl) - Chill and lazy, but doesn't know her own strength. 1 year old. Owner forfeited after moving away.

F: Playful Beagle mix (Girl) - Adorable and chatty. Missing one back leg. 1 year old. Her previous owner couldn't afford her medical bills after she got hit by a car. 

G: Relaxed Poodle (Boy) - Relaxed yet high-maintenance. 4 years old. Taken from an unlicensed breeder.

H: Australian Kelpie-Australian Shepard mix (Girl) - Playful, and may get irritable if left alone too long. 2 years old. Found in a dumpster.

I: Chill Great Dane (Boy) - Depressed. 5 years old. Owner forfeited due to debt.

J: Rottweiler (Boy) - Rambunctious. 2 years old. Got caught stealing fish from a market. 

L: Bichon-Pomeranian mix (Bichon-A-Ranian) (Boy) - Sweet, energetic and chatty. 2 years old. Brought in after various attempts to adopt his own family.

M: Raggedy-furred Mixed Terrier (Boy) - Extremely energetic and bizarre. 2 years old. Found stuck in a drain pipe. Mistaken for a large rat. 

 

"OK!" Hoya shouted as he cracked his knuckles, "Now let's narrow it down even further."

"More!?" Dongwoo whined.

"Yes, more," Hoya groaned, "We can't show Infi all 12 dogs!"

"But! But!!" 

"No buts, let's at least cross out the chihuahua, Hyung. You know Gyu going to kill it." Not really, but he was certain that they'd leave home one day and never see the yappy little guy ever again. Sometimes he was genuinely surprised that Dongwoo'd survived an entire day with Gyu.

"No..agh...fine..."

"And I'll...take out the Rottweiler. He's too dangerous..." Hoya struck out one of his picks as well. "I don't think Infi will be safe playing with him. He might knock her over on accident." Adding, "I'm taking out Chuck too," sadly, "He's just too big...and we don't know if he'll trip over her. She might crawl between his legs and get kicked in the head." 

All the while, Dongwoo quietly nodded in agreement. 

"Who else should we eliminate? We should at least get it down to five. So four more..." Aish, this was harder than he'd imagined.

"The Beagle needs extra attention," Dongwoo noted, "Maybe we shouldn't take on anyone who might need more care than Infi?"

"...That's true..we'd have to take her to get check-ups a lot..." Hoya nodded, "She's out," and crossed out her name.

Dongwoo took the sheet of paper with all of their options next, "Poodles are notorious for being high-maintenance. Two more."

"I agree, now scratch out..." Hoya thought long and hard, "Ah, I don't want to do this, but take off the terrior."

"What!? The terrior?" Dongwoo gasped, "but he'll be hours of entertainment!" and protested. "He's so cute and quirky!" When they'd arrived at his cage the little guy was going bananas over a squeaky toy.

"I know, but that's exactly it. He'll trash our entire apartment - going crazy like that - and he'll rip apart all of Infi's stuffed animals. I mean, he plays rough. What if he plays too hard with her?"

"Ah! I understand," Dongwoo didn't need any more reasoning. "He's off." 

The next one was even harder for Hoya, "I can adopt my own Pitbull later..."

Except, "No," Dongwoo vetoed him, "I'm keeping her." He knew how badly his lover wanted that sweet little girl so he'd keep her. For the final round, at least. 

"What? Hyung, why?"

"Because I really like her. You were right, she's a little angel." It didn't matter that every staff member crossed their arms in defiance. If they picked her she'd be Yadong's dog. Not the staffs'. 

"Then..." Hoya chewed on his bottom lips, "Then who do we eliminate next?"

That was already clear to Dongwoo, "I don't want the puppy. Golden Retrievers are too typical." What Dongwoo meant to say was, 'Everybody wants the Golden Retriever,' and that he wasn't everybody.

"Ah, really?" Hoya smiled, "Then I don't want her either."

 

**********

 

THE FINALS!

 

1: Pitbull mix

2: Shepkita

3: Bichon-A-Ranian

4: Collie mix

5: Kelpie Mix

 

"Alright, I have everyone here for you," the worker announced after she'd taken all five dogs out of their cages and lined them up in a separate - larger unit. "Ok, this is how this works. I'll introduce one dog at a time into the play area and all you have to do is get to know him or her. Until you're ready to meet our next friend." Adding, "Make sure to keep a good hold on them for the first few minutes because we don't know how each dog will initially react. They're very nervous right now, too, you know. They'll be all jittery, so be careful. Especially with your adorable little daughter in the room."  

"Right!" Dongwoo cheered, "Who's first?"

"Let's see. Who do you want to meet first?" she asked coyly. 

"Someone easy," Hoya perked up, "The Collie."

"Wonderful. I'll go get her."

At first, the beautiful boy timidly kept his nose to the floor, but he quickly warmed up to the boys. Playing with Dongwoo first, as Hoya stood behind him and held onto Infi. 

"What? What is that?" Infi eyed the new creature. She'd seen toy dogs and dogs on TV before, but she'd never seen one up this close. Squirming in Hoya's arms, she wanted a closer look. 

"Oh? You want to play with him too?" Hoya asked her out loud so that Dongwoo could coach the dog to come closer.

"Kya~" Infi replied, squealed while slapping her hands together - as if she understood.

Chuckling, "Come here, honey," Dongwoo cooed as he scratched the back of the Collie's ear, "Do you want to meet Infi?"

The dog Dongwoo's face so he'd keep scratching his ear. Following him for more attention, as Dongwoo coached him closer. 

"Hahaha ok, ok. I'll keep scratching," Dongwoo laughed as the Collie headbutted his hand again, "Come over here. We want you to meet our baby."

But then Infi squealed again, and the Collie stopped in his tracks.

He didn't like it, her high-pitched noises frightened him. So, he retreated back to the other side of the room and tucked his head and tail in.

"Uh oh..." Dongwoo frowned.

"Ooh..." Hoya locked eyes with his hyung, "Infi, I'm sorry. I don't think this friend likes you very much..."

"Un um," Dongwoo shook his head and raised his hand to signal the lady to change out the dogs. 

"Huh?" Infi stared up at her daddy and back towards the dog. "Why'd the furry run away?" she babbled. Unsure whether to cry or not. She certainly wasn't happy to meet him anymore.

Next, the worker released the Australian Kelpie-Australian Shepherd mix into the room.

A 180-degree difference, the Kelpie ran straight up to Hoya and jumped up his leg to check Infi out. She'd never seen a human this tiny before. She was interested. 

And so was Infi, as she reached down and touched her cold wet nose. "Omo," she squeezed and hit the curious object - resulting in a faint yelping noise. 

It didn't hurt. It just shocked the Kelpie. Seconds later, she jumped right back up Hoya's leg. This time to  Infi's foot. Where Infi's shoe and sock went, neither boy knew. They hadn't even realized they'd vanished. 

But the look on Infi's face was incredulous. 

Next thing they knew, the Kelpie ran off and returned with a rope toy. Begging, tail wagging, as she carried it back to Infi.

"Ah," Hoya pouted, "I don't think Infi's--" 

"Is this mine?" Before Hoya could distract the Kelpie with another activity, Infi'd grabbed onto the rope. But, the Kelpie didn't start pulling immediately. She looked like she was waiting for some sort of cue. Almost as if waiting to see if "tiny humans" play this game too, as she cocked her head and quirked her ears.

"Oh?" Dongwoo shook his head in disbelief, "I think she wants Infi to play tug-of-war with her? What? What?" It took a second to process it all in his head, "Ah, no," before reaching for the rope himself, "What about playing with me?" 

Gladly. The two were rolling around with each other in no time at all, as Hoya and Infi laughed at them.

Dog 3, was a riot! The Bichon-A-Ranian was having the time of his life.

He'd immediately darted all across the room the second the lady unlatched his harness. And, within seconds he was pouncing all over Hoya while shaking like a hysterical tambourine. Bark bark bark! 

"Bark bark?" Hoya laughed, dumbfounded. This little guy physically reminded him of the puppy from Reply 1997. But, his big personality was nothing like that sweet little puppy. 

...Good thing he'd passed Infi over to Dongwoo a few seconds earlier...Otherwise, they'd have a problem. Considering this tiny 3 kg (~6 lb) torpedo just decked his 63 kg (140 lb) .

For once Dongwoo couldn't even laugh, his boyfriend's predicament was too ridiculous. As Hoya sat up covering his face in shame, "He surpri--he surprised me. It was an ambush attack. Guerilla warfare." 

"Next!" Dongwoo shook his head. No way. Never happening. This pup may be the closest to Infi's size, but he just took out a full grown man. There's no telling what'd happen to a baby.

"Oh dearie, I'm so sorry!" the worker quickly ran into the room before the little guy tried to take out Dongwoo and Infi too. "Oh come here! Come here! I swear he's usually not this excitable," she pleaded. Yes, he was.

It took a while to finally snatch him up, with Hoya's help. Exhausting the both of them.

"Agh...I guess he was just so happy to meet you," she panted with the now sleeping dog in her arms. 

"Oh really?" Dongwoo laughed, after secretly filming the entire incident on his phone. "Agh, I can understand now though. This is the little guy who was so excited to find his own family that he barged right in and made himself right at home, right?"

"Ne..." she sweatdropped, "Several times, with several different families...but then he ran them all ragged.." finally admitting the truth. "Agh, I wish we could find the perfect home for him, but he's just too much." So much for trying...They'd just have to try again another day. "I need to pair him with a family with lots of young kids to play with - in a big yard. But, that type of family almost always goes to the pet store. They never give him a chance..."

"Hmm," Hoya frowned, "I guess so...too bad, though. We can't chance it with Infi. Maybe if she was a little older. Poor little guy." 

Number 4: The Shepkita.

This puppy was only five months old but fairly well trained. She was excitable but sweet and gentle as she rolled around in Dongwoo's lap.

"Aww~" Dongwoo cooed as he tickled her stomach and she flopped around.

"Hey," Hoya asked, "Are you ready?"

"Huh? Oh, right. Yeah," Dongwoo's one track mind always amazed him. One cute puppy. A butterfly, anything really and Dongwoo'd daze off into another realm.

"Alright Infi, what do you think? Do you like her?" Hoya knelt down and closed the gap between her and the puppy in Dongwoo's lap. "Do you want this puppy?" he hesitantly asked - after how the Collie had reacted.

"Puppy!" Infi squealed, "Finally!" This was the second dog that she got to pet today. They hadn't let her anywhere near the tiny white blur bouncing from wall to wall. 

"Bark!" the Shepkita instantly replied. Perking up and cocking her head.

"Oh?" Dongwoo looking down at the two girls, "Bark?"

*Squeal* Infi giggled again, prompting the puppy to bark back at her again. Not aggressively, but certainly with interest.

"Hyung, I think they're communicating."

"Bark bark," the puppy sat up and sniffed Infi's face - making her squeal on cue. "Bark!"

Now giggling, Infi reached both of her arms out and played with her fur. Slightly irritating the puppy as she moved her nose, lips, and ears around. 

"Ooh, they're quite a pair," Dongwoo whispered to Hoya.

Hoya nodded, "Yeah. I think they're a good match too." They may have just found their new dog.

*Squeal!*

"Bark bark bark" the puppy leaned in closer to sniff and Infi some more. Only this time when Infi squealed in delight the puppy lifted up her paw and bopped her on the face, and then ran off.

"Ah?"

"What the?" time froze. Hoya swore to it, the clock didn't even make a sound.

"..." Infi couldn't process what'd just happened, but the puppy was now clear across the room, "Mine!" So what if she hit her, Infi was up and chasing her down to play some more.

Time re-instated itself. The clock clicked as the seconds ticked by. "Hyung..she booped her.."

"I know...I saw it..." dumbfounded.

Last but not least: The Pitbull mix.

As foretold, she was the sweetest baby imaginable - resting her sleepy head on Hoya's thigh. 

So sweet that she'd allowed Infi to crawl on top of her and make herself right at home.

"This is my new bed," Infi smiled as she pressed her cheek against the dog's chest. "Omo, I hear something," her heartbeat, "...It's like daddies."

"Wow, she's so calm now," Dongwoo complimented as he laid down next to her and scratched behind her ear.

Then, "Oh, uh oh," Infi slipped and fell off of her back, "Oooof!" She puffed as she fell on her .

"Infi, are you ok, baby?" both boys instinctively asked her, before she stood up and looked behind her to inspect her little tooshie.

"Still there," she reassured herself. No clue where she got the idea that she could lose her , but she thought she could. Maybe it was because Daddy Gyu doesn't have one. 

"Mmph," the Pitbull also lifted her head to look back at her. But surprisingly to both boys, the dog didn't casually lay her head back down in Hoya's lap. But rather waited until Infi'd crawled back on top of her - before going back to sleep.
 

**********

 

"Hyung, I can't choose. You choose."

Dongwoo made the final decision.

 

**********

 

Paper's filled, adoption finalized. The boys had a great idea.

"PD-nim! Let's film the teaser now!" Hoya pulled the man over to them.

"The teaser?" the man cocked his eyebrow.

"Yes! The teaser, but not with clips from the show, but like an infomercial!" Dongwoo shouted.

"What hyung said," Hoya elaborated, "Why don't we film us playing with all of the pets at the shelter and promote adoptions here? You know, like with Birth of A Family!"

"..I see.." PD-nim slowly nodded, "You feel bad for leaving them all here.."

"Yes!" Dongwoo frowned, "Of course we do! How could we not!?" Especially that Great Dane. They'd called Jong a few minutes earlier to ask him if he wanted to come down to meet him, but Jong's phone went straight to voicemail.  

PD-nim thought about for a few seconds, but really, it was a no-brainer. "Call! Let's do it!"

"Yes!"

They stayed an extra hour just to film everyone: dogs and cats, and various other animals living there.

 

++++++++++

 

Ok, you have your options. Now vote!

The sweet pitbull, the sassy booper, or the curious foot-er? I posted the poll below.

 

Note: I didn't put too much description into the dogs because there's too many of them. I'll be more descriptive once we know which dog to focus on. Personality over physical attributes was my goal here.

And I know, not much good content in this chapter. But I intentionally wrote it to narrow down my options. My thought process in action. lol Literally, the lists here are the lists that I wrote up for myself. lol

Now you guys get to choose!