What Do We Do?

Infi The Infinite Infant

Note: I wrote this first chapter in two hours on a whim. Jumped right in, too. Let's see where it goes. ;P 

EDIT: Apparently past 30 chapters! lol

 

+++++++++++

 

“Is that a puppy!?” Dongwoo screamed in excitement upon noticing a small white fluffy thing crawl underneath the table set next to them - in the middle of the outside cafe area of a small restaurant. Finally, something to brighten up this long boring day.

“Wha?” Woohyun got up and walked over to check it out, “Ah, it’s not a puppy!” He reached down and picked the little creature up, “It’a baby! Hyung, someone lost their baby!”

“A baby?” Dongwoo ran over to take the small boy from Woohyun, and indeed it was a giggling infant in soft fluffy pajamas.

“What do we do, hyung?” Woohyun looked around to find the restaurant’s owner, or a staff member at least, but no one was still around. The place was empty this late at night.

“Maybe someone’s still inside. Here hold him, I’ll run up and find someone.” Dongwoo tried to run back inside the main establishment, but the owner had already locked up for the night.

Uncertain of what to do next, Dongwoo remembered that there was a police station about a block away, “Let’s take him to police. I’m sure his mother is worried sick about him.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea, hyung. Let’s hurry.”

 

*******

 

*Yawn* The solo night watch police officer hung his head from exhaustion. This part of town wasn’t too riddled with crime, but understaffing took it’s toll on the poor man. Four more hours to go until sweet relief.

“Excuse me,” Dongwoo walked in first, “I’m sorry to bug you, but has anyone reported a missing infant?”

The man lifted him head, “A missing infant?” He flipped through his paperwork, “Not that I can recall, but let me double-check… A three-year-old went missing a couple weeks ago but that seems to be a custody battle between his parents. So, he’s likely hidden at a relative's house,” the man rambled, adding,” Ah, and most likely not in any real danger.”

“Oh..no babies then?” Dongwoo altered his question, after realizing that he didn’t know how old their infant was.

“No--no babies have been reported. Did you find one?” The officer cautiously asked.

“Uh..yeah.. he was crawling around outside, but we can’t find his parents anywhere. I--I think he’s only a few months old. My friend has him outside.” Dongwoo held the door behind for Woohyun to walk inside.

Seeing the balled up infant in Woohyun’s arms, the officer went to grab the phone off the wall to call headquarters to see if anyone else had heard anything yet. “Nothing, I see. I’ll write up the report and have flyers circulating in the morning, yes sir.”

Woohyun worriedly bit his lower lip, “I guess your mom hasn’t realized that you’re gone yet?” at least he hoped.

“Don’t worry like that, i’m sure your mommy and daddy are still trying to find you on their own before bothering the police,” Dongwoo stated more for Woohyun’s sake that the baby’s.

“Yes, i’m certain,” the officer added, ”It’s best to stay positive in times like this.”

“So, what do we do now?” Dongwoo asked, “Do we leave him with you, or—“

“Ah yes, I’ll call child services to see if anyone can take care of him until his parents come get him.”

Several long seconds passed before a groggy voice answered. “Sorry to bother you this late, but two young men just brought a lost infant in and we need to quickly find a temporary home for him.”

“Nnnh, this late? What kind of mothers are there these days..?” *cough* realizing her shrewd remark the social worker quickly collected herself, “i’m sorry, but I can’t do anything this late. I can try to relocate him in the morning, but I can’t guarantee that we have a spot for him. Especially since he’s a baby. We’re already past our capacity, right now.”

“I see, but i’m sure that it will only be for a few days,” he weakly pleaded, knowing all too well how overwhelmed child services constantly is.

“I’m sorry. There’s not much I can do here. Maybe those two young men can take him in, if it’s not too big of a burden?” Not really protocol. They’d need to be certified caregivers first.. but given the circumstances, and her fleeting good faith in humanity, she was willing to overlook that.

The officer sighed, “Ok.. i’ll ask.” He looked to Dongwoo and Woohyun, “I know that you two must be overwhelmed, but it seems that there’s no one willing to take care of this poor guy. And, i’m in no place to take care of a little one either…” He sighed, knowing the obvious outcome.

“We’ll do it!” Dongwoo instantly shouted.

“What, hyung? Are you serious? We’re way too busy to care for a child. Besides, Gyu will kill us if he finds him!”

“But, Hyun, no one will take him. We can’t just leave him out on the streets. Look at him” Now completely awake and crying - from all the yelling - “He’ll die on his own!”

“But, but..I know that, but ahh. You’re the one who gets to explain this to Gyu and the managers..”

“Deal!” Dongwoo took the screaming infant and hugged him tightly, “Dongwoo daddy will care for you, so don’t worry!”

The officer sighed in relief, and held the phone back to his ear, “It looks like this kid was found by two angels. They agreed to look after him for now. I’ll send you their address, so you can check in on them.”

After they exchanged all the necessary details, the two set out back to Infinite’s dorm. “So, how are we explaining this?”

“I have no idea..” Dongwoo confessed.

*sniff sniff*

“Hyung, by chance, do you know how to change a diaper?”

“No, do you?”

 

*******

 

“It’s not a boy,” Gyu’s bluntly stated.

“What? We thought— It’s a girl!?” Woohyun’s gasped.

“She’s a girl,” Gyu re-affirmed.

“Whoops, i’m sorry little one. I really thought that you were a boy.” Woohyun apologized to the infant.

“Any-anyways hyung, who knew you actually know how to change a diaper,” Dongwoo attempted to lighten the mood.

“It’s not rocket science,” Gyu retorted.

“No, but you’re a real life saver!” Dongwoo glomped him.

“Get off of me!” Gyu shouted, “Why do you have a baby anyways!? And, why bother me with her?”

The two exchanged awkward glances, “Well, you see…we kind of offered to—“

“Stop! Stop right there! I already know where this is going, and the answer is no!”

“But, hyung, he—she has nowhere else to go? She was crawling around outside all by herself, and not even CPS has room for her!”

“That, that’s not our problem! Our problem is our comeback! Which is in a month!”

“But, we already agreed. We can’t back out now!”

“Give her to your mother!!” Cruel, but a feasible option.

*blink blink*

“Why didn’t we think of that?” Dongwoo and Woohyun exchanged looks again. “That’d work too..”

“No absolutely not! I want her! I want her!!!” An over-excited Yeol, who’d been spying on the group since he snuck in a moment earlier, popped out and stole the child.

“What? Yeol, when’d you get here?”

“Just now, and you heard Dongwoo hyung. We have to keep her! She’s so little and helpless! You monster!”

“Did you just call me a monster?” Gyu glowered at the younger.

Woohyun sighed, re-entering the conversation, “Gyu, what would you have done if you found her? You’d have handed her off to be someone else’s problem, right?

“No..i’m not that cruel. It..dammit,” Gyu rolled his eyes, “I’m not being like this to be mean, i’m just worried about us. We’re already stacked with work, and none of us know the first this about raising a baby. We need to find someone who does.”

“I’ll call my mom…” Dongwoo sighed, giving in..

“But aren’t our mom’s busy too..?” Woohyun pondered, “I mean, yeah..ugh” But, before Woohyun could complete his thought out-loud an alarmingly loud gibberish mess burst in through their front door.

“What, whah wow whah whah wohoahohohoho!” Myungsoo came running in, “We have a baby! Whose baby is it? What? Why? How? What’s going on, hyung! Sungyeol sent me pictures!. Kya~! She’s so cute!” Myungsoo took the giggling girl from Sungyeol and kissed her. Soon after Sungjong came barging in, followed by a weary Hoya.

“When did you find time to text everyone!” Gyu grabbed Yeol by the collar.

“Haha just now, while you were talking. That’s when.”

“I will kill you in your sleep,” Gyu whispered under his breath.

 

*******

 

“So… what are we naming her?” Yeol squealed.

“We’re not naming her anything.” Gyu growled, ”we’re not keeping her, either!”

“Well, we can’t just call her ‘infant’ or ‘girl’!” Myungsoo scolded his hyung.

“We need to call her something cute!”

“We also need to buy her new clothes, a bottle, baby formula, and some toys!” Sungjong tickled the girl’s feet.

“WE ARE NOT KEEPING HER!!” Gyu finally put his foot down, “This is not happening. Where would we even have the time to raise a child?”

“But no one else can take her!” Dongwoo snapped, “So we have to!” It’s like Gyu wasn’t listening to him at all.

“Let’s call her May,” Yeol tried, “Seulgi? Bomi? Momo?”

“No, let’s just call her Sweetie. That way it’s not really her name?” Sungjong reasoned.

“How about Puppy?” Woohyun offered.

“You can’t name a child Puppy!”

“Sorry…”

Dongwoo thought long and hard, “Cinnamon?”

*blink blink*

“Where’d the hell that come from?”

“Dongwoo, you been going to clubs recently?” Yeol snickered.

“…How about Infi?” Hoya finally spoke up.

*blink blink*

“Infi? Infi?” Yeol screeched, “Yes, it’s settled, your new name is INFI the Infinite Infant!”

“..dear lord..” Sungjong groaned.

Now sulking in the corner Gyu, “Ugh, the managers are going to kill us…”

 

++++++++++

 

So, tell me, who should get baby duty first?