Object Permanence. Yadong's Dilemma

Infi The Infinite Infant

 

 

 

"Hyung, are you sure about this?" Hoya asked Dongwoo.

"I'm positive. Now stop overthinking things," Dongwoo reassured his dongsaeng, "I'm permanently moving into your room whether you like it or not."

"Ah..ok," Hoya sweatdropped, "I'm just still a bit..."

"Nope. We already agreed on this," Dongwoo shook his head, "You can't back out now. Besides, Infi needs a room for herself, remember." He continued, "And, even Woohyun's moving into Sunggyu hyung's room. Do you want Woogyu to beat us?"

"Ah..no..." Hoya sheepishly uttered before shaking his head to knock some sense back into it. "No! Ya, but you already sleep in my room most nights anyway!"

"That's right, but I didn't live there. You always kicked me back out. But, now my room's full of Infi's things too."

Hoya nodded.

"So now you can't."

"But, what If I want some privacy to my--" Hoya attempted to prolong the fight.

But Dongwoo'd had enough of it already, "Then sleep on the couch."

"Ah, ne...I see..." Hoya bit his bottom lip and, darting his eyes around, relinquished his argumentative state. Silently carrying more boxes over to his room.

 

**********

 

"There! All done!" Dongwoo cheered as they'd finished refurbishing his old room into Infi's room. "Oooh! Let's paint a unicorn on the wall too!"

"Hyung, isn't it a bit late to--?"

"No! Absolutely not! We just need to temporarily move the crib over to this other corner and--" Dongwoo blinked," Hoya do you know how to draw a unicorn?"

"...No.."

"Ne..that's ok. I can try my best!" Dongwoo giggled, regardless of his poor (ok, we're underestimating poor) art skills. Preparing himself, he imagined exactly how he'd do it after pulling the crib away and canvassing the pink wall.

Hoya rolled his eyes. There's no way this was ending ok. "Ne, What about this? We ask Myungsoo to draw on the wall? I don't think he can draw a unicorn, but he's better than us. Or!? What about wall stickers? Or a professional painter?"

Dongwoo quietly considered their options while cutely pouting, "Ok, but it has to be unique. Like Infi and us."

"Agreed," Hoya replied, satisfied that he'd saved their poor wall from devastation.

And sure enough, Myungsoo jumped at the idea of painting all over Infi's room, "I should do this in our apartment too! Babies love cute drawings!!"

Soon Infi's new room was covered with happy emoticons, kitties (Byul), puppies, fish, starfish, bears, flowers, and ice cream, all over. A Baymax on one wall, a giant rainbow on another, and a mural of all seven members by the door - stylized like the seven dwarves from Snow White. And of course, a large rainbow unicorn wall sticker above Infi's crib.

When everything was done Hoya couldn't help but snicker at Dongwoo's excitement, "You want your room back now don't you?"

"Ye--No! No, no! Of--of course not!" Dongwoo stuttered when Hoya was right. Then took off running into their now shared room - to scheme what he'd have Myungsoo paint in there.

"Ya? Ya!" Hoya chased after him after he'd realized what he was up to, "Dongwoo, no!"

"Why not? It's my room too!"

"We vote on this! My opinion counts too! You can't!" Hoya shouted back at him. Then turned to Myungsoo, "Don't you dare!" before catching up to his hyung. "Don't you think this is a bit childish?"

"No, it's not! It's art!" Dongwoo pouted, "I want it! I want it!" and fussed like a child.

"No, I won't have doodles all over my walls!"

"But it's only a little~!"

"Only a little? Define only a little."

Dongwoo quickly darted around the room for the perfect compromise, "How about here!?" He swiftly chose his ideal location. Right above the bed. " You won't even see it most of the time!"

"Ok..." Hoya gritted his teeth and waited for more details, "And what is this it that you want to put there?"

"A heart!"

"..."

"Hoya, I want to paint a heart above our bed!" Dongwoo yelled louder this time so that Hoya was certain to understand him.

"..." Hoya continued to just stare at his hyung. He didn't have to ask why. But why did Dongwoo need it?

"So, what's your decision?" Dongwoo griped.

"Ah...Aish, fine. You can have your heart," Hoya rolled his eyes, "BUT, you're the one painting it! I don't need the others knowing about this ."

"Yes! I win! I win!" Dongwoo jumped for joy, tackling his lover to the bed. "And you know what this means right?" he joked, "This is our bed of love~"

Hoya couldn't believe how cheesy Dongwoo could be sometimes. He needed to keep him away from Woohyun at all costs.

Ten minutes later, Hoya couldn't take the whining either.

"Hoya~ Hoya~ Draw the other half! Draw the other half!" Dongwoo was insistent that he join him. "You're half of this heart too!"

"Alright, alright. Give me the brush!" Hoya finally pushed himself up from laying on the bed and kneeled at the headboard, "By why does it have to be so big?"

"Because our love is so big~" Dongwoo happily shoved the paintbrush on his hand.

Hoya suspiciously eyed his hyung, "And you need a physical reminder above our bed to know that?"

"No, but I want the world to know!"

"Ya! Ya! Who said the world had a right to know!?"

"Because I want it too! I want everyone to know how much I love you!"

Hoya frowned, "Can't you not?"

Dongwoo groaned, "It's only in our bedroom so stop gripping and paint it already." Adding, "It's hard enough doing everything. At least show that you're willing to be an active participant in this relationship."

*Gulp* Hoya finally understood where his hyung was taking this, and dutifully painted the outline. He knew that he should at least try to fight off his shyness and actively express his love for Dongwoo. But it was hard. Harder still, now that Dongwoo'd forcefully pushed their relationship to the next level. 

....An enormous heart over their bed didn't seem as gutwrenchingly horrifying after all. If it meant Dongwoo'd put up with him being so un-affectionate in public a bit longer... 

"Like this?" He tried to match Dongwoo's side, symmetrically. 

Dongwoo backed up to get a better look at it, "Looks even to me. Ne, it's close enough. Let's start filling it in." Before kissing Hoya on the cheek for a good job done.

 

 

**********

 

Two days later, Hoya won the final party game and got Infi back.

...To Dongwoo's displeasure, he installed a black curtain over their heart that same day...Arguing that staff would see it on their cameras.

Too late, the cameras already recorded them paining it. But, Hoya didn't need to know that.

 

**********

 

Our three kids sat on the floor to play a game of peek-a-boo again, "Boo. Mmmhhmmm boo." 

But this time to Yadong's shock, Infi grabbed Hoya's hands after the fourth round and instead covered his face for him while giggling.

"What the?" Hoya asked her, "Why'd you do that?"

"I don't know," Dongwoo replied as he laid down next to her.

Why? Because she'd established the concept of object permanence over the last week. She's a growing girl with a growing mind. And..mostly because Gyu adamantly refused to let Woohyun enter her bedroom every time she cried for attention. So instead, he'd secretly talked to her through the door and Infi had to exercise her brain muscles to understand how Daddy's voice was there but not Daddy. (Babies typically understand object permanence around 4-7 months old, so Infi's a slow learner on this one. But, you gotta remember that she was traumatized when they first found her so she's allowed to be a bit slower than usual.)

"Omo, does she know?" Dongwoo questioned out-loud, "Infi, where's your puppy?" Did she know? Dongwoo was eager to search for any signs of comprehension. "Ah, what about this bear?" Dongwoo grabbed a nearby bear and showed it to her before hiding it under his stomach. "Where's the bear?"

"Bear," Infi attempted to reach for, "I want--" She frowned when Dongwoo took it away. But then he said "bear" again and Infi's wheels started turning, "Bear?" as she crawled around to find it. 

"Ooooh, Infi," Hoya tried to help her, "What color is your bear? Is he underneath Daddy Dongwoo?"

Infi was about to give up when she remembered that Dongwoo was holding the bear earlier, and decided to search him instead.

Meanwhile, Dongwoo was ecstatic, "Hoya, Hoya, she remembers bear. She has the image of her bear in her head and she's looking for it. She knows that her bear's still here!"

"I know hyung, she's so smart!" Hoya smiled. "Infi, try looking underneath daddy. Do you know underneath?"

"Hmm," she pulled on Dongwoo's shirt, "Daddy, where's my bear? What did you do with her?" It already upset her that they misgendered her bear, but this was upsetting her even more. "Gimme my bear back," she started to cry. 

"Omo, omo. Hyung, give it back," Hoya began panicking.

"Here you go, baby," Dongwoo pulled it out at once, "Here he is. Mr. Bear's right here."

Infi snatched it from him and hugged her bear tightly, "Why would you do that!?" she shrieked.

"Aww, I'm sorry. Daddy's sorry," Dongwoo tried to soothe her as Hoya ran off to grab some candy. "Hoya, she's not calming down," he whined as he picked her up and bounced her, "Shh shh shh shh." 

"So fussy," Hoya returned with M&Ms, "Here, do you want chocolate?" Sure, Gyu'd murder him later, but candy worked. "Nom nom nom."

"Oohh ok.." she opened for Hoya to feed her.

"See, all better," Hoya her head, "We won't hide Mr. Bear again. We promise."

"Mr. Bear's a girl," she whimpered, "She's a girl." But Hoya only gave her a second M&M.

"Hoya~ I think I need a candy too?" Dongwoo pouted.

"Aish," Hoya poured the bag into his hand and shoved it over his hyung's mouth, "Ne...Hyung...I think Infi needs a haircut.." 

"A ha-cuh?" Dongwoo tried to say as he looked down at Infi's hair. Swallowing his M&Ms, he agreed. "Ne, her hair is getting kind of long. Somebody needs a trip to the stylist. Oh! Let's dye her hair pink too!"

"No!" Hoya rejected, "Only a cut! You can't dye a baby's hair. It's not safe!"

"Aww..ok.." his Hyung pouted.

Later that day Yadong'd convinced the producers to allow them to take Infi to the salon. 

 

**********

 

"Infi, look at me. Look at me!" Dongwoo desperately tried to calm the screaming infant, "Please~ I'll give you chocolate." Ok, this wasn't their best idea ever. The second their stylist had pulled out her scissors Infi'd gone full-throttle tantrum. 

"Agh, Baby. Your hair will grow back. It's ok. She just wants to give you a trim," Hoya begged on his knees.

"No, I don't wanna! She can't She can't!" Infi screamed as loud as her lungs would allow her to.

"Oh! Oh? Ok then," Dongwoo backed off. "Hoya, maybe we should try this again later?"

"No, Hyung. Then her hair will only get longer and it'll further push the idea that crying gets her out of anything she doesn't like. We need to be stern with her. What if her hair gets so long that she trips. Or, what if she doesn't grow out of this attitude and lives as a spoiled brat her whole life?"

"Agh, Hoya, you're the one going off the deep end this time. It's just a haircut..." Dongwoo pointed out.

"Ya! She's getting a haircut! Even if we have to hold her down."

"What!?" Dongwoo gasped, "That's cruel!"

"Alright, alright. Calm down you two," their stylist had to intervene, "There are ways to do this. We just need to be patient. You know, sometimes you boys are a little rowdy while sitting in the chair too."

"What!?" both boys puffed up their cheeks in defence, "We're not like this!"

"I don't whine while kicking and screaming," Hoya protested.

"Yeah, I don't either," Dongwoo added, "Only Woohyun does that!" Ok, once, but it was aegyo.

"No, but you both squirm and complain a lot." Especially if it took too long, or if they didn't particularly like their new company suggested style."

"Yeah..alright..." Hoya groaned, "I guess I can see that... But Dongwoo hyung's worse than me."

"It's not a contest, kids," she shut them up before they started bickering again. "Now, let's focus on the task at hand. I see that Infi really likes her bear." The one she'd desperately clutched to since first arriving. "What if one of you plays with it in front of her as a distraction?"

"No can do, boss," Hoya admitted, "She hasn't let go of that thing since hyung hid it from her. It's permanently attached now."

"Oook, then we need a different distraction. Let's sing her to sleep." Two lullabies later and Infi was still thrashing her bear around over her head.

"Ya!" Hoya was about to lose his temper when Infi'd accidentally smacked him with it, "Stop that. You can't have it your way 24/7." Thankfully he knew better, and didn't try to take her bear away from her as punishment. Instead, he took a deep breath and thought of other ideas, "Where's the TV?"

This time Infi quieted down as she watched a kids movie starring a big white puppy and his friends. She was just calm enough for their stylist to sneakily get a few snips in here and there.

"Whoah, Infi, you see that?" Dongwoo kept her attention fixed on the kids show. While the TV sat on top of a rolling table to their left. Once her hair was finished on that side they rolled the TV to the right.

"Yes," the stylist silently congratulated Hoya's plan. "Now I only need the bangs," she whispered as she carefully pulled Infi's hair up. Hoping she wouldn't notice, "...Perfect. All done. Yay, we did it." 

"You're done?" Dongwoo's attention was snapped away from the movie, "Really? It's over? ...Can we finish the movie?"

"Oh Dongwoo.." she shook her head, "Go ahead. Finish the movie. But Infi here is all ready for a night out on the town to show off her new looks." She tickled Infi's cheeks. Except unlike before, she got no response at all as Infi zoned out staring at the TV.

"Pfft, she's gone," Hoya laughed, "You could tie her hair up into pigtails and she wouldn't notice."

"Ah, what I great idea!" the stylist did just that, "She's so cute!"

"Aigoo," Hoya smiled, "I'm taking a picture." He snapped it and sent it to the others. Using the text, "Our little TV zombie received her first hair cut today. Should our stylist cut the big zombie's hair too?" Because Dongwoo was in the shot too.

Gyu was the first to reply, "Cut it all," implying that Dongwoo should go bald. Woohyun squealed over the pigtails, Yeol sent a million heart emoticons, Jong sent zombie gifs and Myungsoo demanded more photos. 

Which, yeah, Hoya took more photos. He took lots of photos. Many of which had Dongwoo in them as well. He couldn't decide who he wanted to focus on more.

And, of course, he got caught, "If you want pictures of me Hoya, just ask," Dongwoo got cheeky with him.

"Ah! I wa--wasn't.." Hoya stuttered, "I was taking pictures of Infi not you," and denied it.

"Haha, sure," Dongwoo winked, "I'll let you take more pictures of me after we get home. But for now, what do you think about getting Infi a friend?"

"A friend?" Hoya asked, "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Dongwoo carefully re-thought his intentions, "Look at Infi, doesn't she look like she really enjoyed this movie?"

"It's TV, Hyung. She's a zombie the minute we turn it on. It doesn't matter what it is. I've even had it on the Hip Hop station and she drooled over the MVs."

"No, I mean," Dongwoo attempted to explain further, "Look at how she's mesmerized by the pup--YOU DID WHAT!?"

Hoya gulped, "I--I." He hadn't realized that he'd let that slip out. But now it was out. "...I let her watch Rap music video."

"HOYA!!!!!" Dongwoo's roaring voice made it feel as if the entire building shook loose from the Earth.

"I..ah relax Hyung. She's too young to understand any of it anyway," Hoya attempted to protect himself by backing away as Dongwoo got up from his spot on Infi's other side.

"Hoya! You let our daughter witness the depravity hip hop music videos!? The lewd lyrics, alcohol, scantily clad and overualized women? Men rapping about banging multiple girls at once? Getting drunk and partying like dogs!? You let our 8-month-old daughter witness that!!?

"I--I, I can...."

"You're impossible!!" 

"Why--why am I impossible? She didn't understand any of it. She even danced. All she understood was the beat!"

Dongwoo smacked him on the chest, grabbing Hoya by his shirt collar to show that he means business. "Babies are very impressionable! She might think that those MVs represent acceptable behavior! You're setting her up to be a !!" 

"Acceptable? Hyung, you and I are rappers. Are we not acceptable?"

"Ya! We are grown, adults! She's a child!"

"Ai..ne.." Hoya'd do anything to escape Dongwoo's rage at this point, "So..Infi really liked the movie, huh? Was it the puppy? Do you want to buy her a puppy?"

Dongwoo's rage simmered down when he saw how terrified his dongsaeng was of him, "You'll never do it again? You won't show her inappropriate imagery? Or listen to rap music around her? Or dirty RnB?"

"Ah, I get it I get it. I understand. I won't. I promise that I'll only let Infi hear good, clean, age-appropriate media from now on."

"I'm holding you to that..." Dongwoo glared at him. Then as if hitting a switch he flipped back over to his usual gleeful self, "Excellent! You read my mind! Now let's go buy a puppy!"

As they left Dongwoo overheard Hoya complain under his breath, "Aish, coming from the guy who melted in my arms after I let him preview Angel the other night..."

"Ngh," Dongwoo groaned. Tch. If only Hoya knew that Dongwoo'd done more than melt that night. But no~ He knew Hoya's stance on ity, so he didn't try and instigate anything. Back to the bathroom... But, honestly, as long as Hoya kept it away from Infi, Dongwoo was totally fine with it. More than fine with it. 

Staff was fine with getting a puppy too. As long as it cooled down Dongwoo. Truthfully, they didn't like that Hoya's let her watch inappropriate videos, either. But she was only a clueless baby...

 

**********

 

"Puppies!" Dongwoo ran into the animal shelter first, while Hoya was still unbuckling Infi from her car seat. Initially, staff wanted to take the boys to a pet store, but they adamantly refused. Remembering the importance of "Birth of A Family" and adoption. Sure the shelter likely didn't have too many young puppies, but the dog's personality was what mattered most. 

And when they told the attending worker that they had a baby, the lady directed them to the perfect selection of furry friends. "You'll need a breed whose patient and easy-going. It's probably best that you don't get a puppy, but we might have a chill baby that's just right for you. I'll lead you to them, and you can point out anyone who stands out."

Down the hall, she introduced them to both small and large breeds. Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, beagles, Terriers, Golden Retrievers, Pitbulls, Poodles, and of course various mixes and mutts. Some very loud, others quiet and shy. But as much as the boys had their own preferences, it was Infi's selection the mattered most. How much she liked her chosen puppy, and how well that dog behaved around her.

"Now remember, you can always have a trial period. We prefer that you choose this method, so that you and your new pet have a better chance to get to know one another before signing a lifelong commitment," the worker reminded the boys once more before leaving them to make their final decision. 

"Agh, can't we take them all?" Dongwoo fussed.

"Then we'd be the animal shelter," Hoya scoffed.

"Oh you know what I mean!"

After awhile Yadong narrowed it down to five candidates. Both subconsciously knowing that they really were making a lifelong decision for a baby that wasn't 100% their own. Sadly, neither of them wanted to admit it. If only this show never ended and they could keep Infi indefinetly... Or maybe deeper down than that... they hoped their new dog would feel the void when Infi was inevitably taken from them.  

 

**********

 

Later that night as they arrived back home with their new family member, the boys were shocked by the horrific scene they were greeted with. Hoya was forced to shield Infi's innocent eyes.

Sungyeol shouting, "Twerky Jerky, Twerky Jerky!" while overzealously twerking in the main living room to a remix of Red Velvet's "Red Flavor." Where's Myungsoo, you ask? Hiding under the coffee table. Shouting, "No! NO! Stop that!" 

Jong was passed out on the carpet - an obvious victim of Yeol's rampage.

Woogyu hid behind their door - Woohyun carefully peeking out as if to ask if it's all over.

"Hyung, run," was all Hoya said as he took off running to their apartment - unlocking the door for Dongwoo to safely carry Infi and hide their new pet inside.

 

++++++++++

 

What kind of dog did Yadong adopt? Can you guess? I'm still guessing. lol

WTF is "Twerky jerky"? I don't know but it somehow got in my head while at work. And, I needed something to lighten the mood.

And the heart~ Woohyun's so jealous of the heart. He secretly painted a tiny one behind the nightstand in his and Gyu's bedroom. Yes, he did, IN FACT, move into Gyu's bedroom. Yeol attepted to paint one in Myungyeol's room, but Soo insisted that it be black.