Menboong

Infi The Infinite Infant

 

 

 

 

The rest of the week flew by as chaotic as the first half - as Sungjong refused to let up on (at least) Infi's mandatory dance classes, singing lessons and Baby Genius Hour. Or, the fact that she was only allowed to eat nutritionally balanced meals made from organically grown produce. Which were then pureed together in a blender, and as a result tasted like...well.... Henceforth, Infi's constant hissy fits during...Every. Single. Meal.

And because of it, Jong had taken quite a few smacks directly to the head, too. Be it: the spoon, Infi's bottle, Infi's fist, or even his hyungs' fists. The entire bowl was considered Infi's weapon, too, if she could get her hands on it.

Thankfully, his hyungs had secured a deal with Junghwa to supply a secret network of sweet yogurts and grapes. Plus the occasional popcorn. Otherwise, she'd starve...

And, even playtime had become a complete mess. She'd throw her toys and scream at him everytime he tried to get close to her. It was so bad that Junghwa had to put her in timeout. Then, do it all over again the next day. 

This new Infi was Jongie's "sworn enemy." On the opposite spectrum, she'd become inseparable from Junghwa. She's even escaped from her (improperly secured - Jongie) crib and into Junghwa's bedroom one night. 

 

**********

 

"Ya! Infi, do you like hurting daddy?" Jong cried as he rubbed his sore ankle, "Do you hate me that much?" 

Infi shrieked and huffed. Turning her head to find something else to throw at him, "Go away, I'm playing castle with Mommy!"

"Omo! Infi!" Junghwa shook her head, "We can attack the big ugly troll after we finish building the tower, ok?" 

"Mmm," Infi puffed out her cheeks and crawled int Junghwa's lap, "I'll sit here and he'll go away." She ignored him and continued stacking blocks into a large pile on the floor and stuffing animal figurines into the holes.

"Ah.." Jong sighed, "What did I do to deserve this?"

"Ohh we're building a castle!?" Woohyun popped out of nowhere and asked. "Can I play too?"

"Hyung, why are you here?"

"To check on you. Why else?" Woohyun chuckled, finding his lie amusing. 

"Yeah...Somehow I don't believe that," Jong crossed his arms.

"But it's true," Woohyun lied again, turning to look Jongie in the eye for the first time in five days. "Ya, Lee Sungjong, who told you it was a good idea to grow a beard!?" he shouted upon realizing how disheveled Jongie's appearance had become.

"Shut up, hyung! I haven't slept in four days!"

"I know," Woohyun laughed, "You look terrible!"

"Well sorry, but Junghwa needs her beauty sleep! So I'm being selfless and staying up with Infi every night, hyung! I'm too exhausted to shave!"

"You're being a drama queen, "Woohyun rolled his eyes, "Infi's a little angel. She's not that hard to put to bed every night." 

"Aaaahaha," Junghwa wailed, "Just go to sleep oppa! I can take care of her by myself. Besides, Woohyun Oppa's here to help." She was perfectly capable of it. 

"But I can't! I physically can't sleep! What if Infi needs me? What if she needs her diaper changed, or-or--"

"Shh," Woohyun got behind him and rubbed his shoulders, "rock-a-by baby, in the tree tops~"

"Stop that!!" Jong smacked his hands away.

"Oww!"

"Ugh...Hyung tell me the truth...Have I aged 10 years...?"

"Do--do you really wanna know?" Woohyun joked. 

He didn't sleep.

 

**********

 

Until the last day, he insisted, "Ya, I know that it's an acquired taste, but you'll grow to love kale."

Infi stared at Junghwa with her tear stained eyes, "Mommy, why won't you stop this?" 

"Ahh...Nononono. That's enough. Sungjong Oppa, can't you see that she hates it? Let's not make her eat it. Let's give her something tasty. And then," she pleaded, "Oppa, she'll start liking you again." She pulled Infi out of her highchair and onto her hip, "Right, Infi? If Oppa stops feeding you yucky foods, you'll be nice to him again?"

"Mmmbbmmbb," Infi clutch onto her and tried to climb up to attempt to feed, "I'd rather have these."

"Waa~ Infi, no! I don't have anything for you!" Junghwa momentarily panicked, "Ah! What about formula? Mommy will give you some strawberry flavored formula. Would you like that?"

*Konk* Jong headdesked the dining table, before throwing his own little crying fit, then laying there lifelessly. 

*Crack*

"I know, I know," She attempted to calm him while feeding the hidden pouch to Infi, "She'll thank us when she's older. But right now she's a baby and what else can we do? You tried oppa. You really tried, but it's time to give up. You did your best."

"I give up..." Jong groaned. Took his 7 days. Seven grueling, sleepless days.

"Ah--."

"No! I won't give up!" Jong promptly cut Junghwa off and stood up with determination, "You will eat this kale! Or so help me, you little!" he gritted his teeth to keep himself from cursing, "Just one bite! One bite and I promise I'll stop!" He shoved a fresh spoon full in Infi's direction.

"Ya! Sungjong Oppa!" Junghwa backed up to keep some distance between the two, "Ya! You need to calm down! Ya! Stop it!" Fearing that he'd gone postal, she quickly ran out of the kitchen and into the main living room. "She's not eating it! I won't let her!" She had considered negotiating for a second, but seeing that wild look in his eyes sent shivers down her spine, "Have you lost your mind!? Help!! Sungjong oppa's gone crazy!!"

Hearing the ruckus from outside, Woohyun and Dongwoo both came running.

"What the hell's going on out here?" Woohyun asked first, as Junghwa forcibly passed a crying Infi off to him.

"Sungjong oppa's gone postal over kale!" she frantically explained before running to hide behind Dongwoo.

"What? Po--po--postal?" Dongwoo stuttered.

"Yes! He's gone completely crazy because Infi won't eat kale!"

"What the ?" Woohyun cursed just as Jongie ran out of his apartment with a jar of mashed kale. Some of it smeared over his face and hair (curtsey of Infi), making him look even more deranged.   

"Hyung, give her to me!" he demanded.

"No way!" Woohyun turned away from him, "You're insane!"

"But it's only one bite! How much harm can one bite do?" he screamed, "She may even like it!"

"No, she won't! She's crying!" Woohyun shoved Sungjong away from him as Dongwoo ran up to restrain him.

"Breath, Sungjong, breath!" Dongwoo ordered as he held Jong's arms behind him - forcing him to drop the jar.

"I will not! She is going to eat kale! Even if it kills me!" Jong continued screaming and kicking like a madman.

"Ooook everyone, relax," PDnim cautioned as he slowly walked up to the boys, flagged by two cameramen. "Dongwoo, can you pass him off? We'll take it from here," he suggested.

"Is everyone ok? Junghwa?" PDnim asked them after the cameramen grabbed Sungjong up and took him into another room to tie him down before someone got hurt.

"Ne...I'm fine.." she replied, "but Infi's terrified."

Woohyun tried his best to soothe her, but not even their treasured technique helped this time. She was wailing so bad that she couldn't even breath properly. "Hyung, what do we do?" Dongwoo didn't know either, but he tried his best as the rest of Infinite slowly ventured out (whether just now waking up or coming out from hiding). 

 

**********

 

That afternoon was heartbreaking as Infi cried herself to sleep, only to wake up again just as Junghwa had to leave.

The boys didn't know which was worse. Her sheer fear from earlier, or now as she desperately wouldn't let Junghwa step out the front door.

"Mommy don't go!" she screamed, squeezing a death grip on Junghwa's dress.

"I'm sorry Infi. Mommy has to go now. I have to go back home," Junghwa pleaded as she fought off her own tears.

"Waa~ Infi, it's ok, Mommy will visit us, right?" Dongwoo negotiated, hoping that she could understand him. 

"No!!" she screeched, "I want to go with Mommy!" 

Yeol tried to distract her, "Hey Infi, look at Daddy. Daddy's a gorilla!" he yelled as he threw his arms and jumped around.

"No!!" 

"She never screamed like this when we left her with the others..." Woohyun pouted at Gyu.

"No, she didn't," Gyu was just as shocked as him.

"Maybe we shouldn't have invited Junghwa...?" Woohyun quietly mouthed.

"No, that's not true. Infi needs female role models too," Gyu reasoned, "I guess... Junghwa reminds her of her real mom."

"I guess," Myungsoo sighed from behind them. "Hey," he walked over to PDnim, "Have you heard anything back from Social Services? Have they found Infi's parents?"

PDnim shook his head, "We're already planning to talk to you boys about that, but not just yet." 

"What's that mean...?" Myungsoo was left speechless as PDnim left the room. 

Inevitably it had to happen, Junghwa escaped out the front and Infi was left in a pile of her own tears on the floor.

Not wanting to upset her anymore the boys didn't try to carry her away from the front door. And instead, simply laid down next to her while she let it all out and banged on the door.

"Aren't we all pathetic..?" Hoya asked after a while.

"PDnim?" Gyu sat up and called out after a good while, "Oh? Where'd he go?" He looked around to no avail. "Hey," instead signaling a director and some cameramen down to ask if Junghwa could be a more permanent member. Even if it meant experiencing another one of her mandatory morning yoga classes. The answer was no, though. She was already way too busy with her own group's activities.

 

**********

 

Everyone gathered around the kitchen table after PDnim called an emergency meeting later that night.

"After careful deliberation," he spoke, "the staff and I have decided to temporarily admit Sungjong."

"Admit him?" Yeol questioned first, "Did he get into a new school program?" 

"No," PDnim rubbed his neck, "But, in any case, Sungjong will be inactive for a while."

"Ooooh," Gyu realized, slowing nodding his head, "So, we'll act like nothing happened. But if anyone asks, Sungjong's visiting family far away. Haha."

Hoya snickered, holding his hand out in Myungsoo's direction, "Pay up."

"..." PDnim suspiciously eyed the space between them.

"I hate you..." Myungsoo pulled his wallet out and handed Hoya a wad of cash.

"Thank you~" Hoya pocketed it.

"What? Wait! Ya!" Woohyun shrieked, "You had a bet going!?" 

"Yeah," Hoya laughed as he collected money from Yeol, as well.

"..." Gyu frowned. 

"Ya! But," Myungsoo switched subjects as he recalled what PDnim told him earlier - and chose to call him out on it with the others present, "What did Social Services tell you?"

"Myungsoo! I said that we'd call a meeting about that later," PDnim scolded him.

"No, tell us now," Gyu took his cue as leader, "Did you hear anything? What did you hear? Are Infi's parent's ok?"

PDnim sighed, "Nothing's confirmed yet. Right now we're waiting for confirmation."

"Confirmation on what?" Dongwoo stood up to demonstrate his eagerness to know.

"Social Services...might know who Infi's mother is," PDnim stressed caution.

"Well, who is she?" Yeol didn't care for caution.

PDnim groaned, "I can't tell you."

"WHY!?" the boys each shouted.

"You know something, and you're not telling us?" Hoya scoffed.

"We can't tell you anything right now." That's all PDnim would say over and over again, as the boys attacked him with more questions.

"Why not? We have a right to know whose baby we've been taking care of!?" Myungsoo finally snapped.

PDnim held his head in grief after what felt like an hour of being mercilessly attacked, "Fine..." 

"So, you'll tell us?" Woohyun's ears perked up.

PDnim took a moment to carefully choose his words, "Social Services have identified a woman who shares DNA with Infi, but we do not know for absolute certain that this woman is Infi's mother. She is the appropriate age, however. But..."

"But? But?" Gyu urged him to hurry it up.

"But..."

"Dammit! Stop saying but! Do you have a - like Dongwoo, too!?"

PDnim took a deep breath, "She's deceased."

 

**********

 

The following morning Infi woke up in Woogyu's apartment to the smell of waffles and eggs, "Mmmm~ I know this smell," she smiled.

"Kya!" she giggled to alert them of her conscious state, "Daddy I'm hungry!"

Woohyun quickly greeted her, "Morning baby~ Did you sleep well? Do you want waffl--?"

"Achoo!" Infi sneezed on him.

"Oh!?" Woohyun yipped because of the unexpected sound.

"Hahaha," she giggled happily - as if she wasn't a huge mess the previous day.

"Aww~ aren't you happy this morning?" Woohyun wiped his face with his shirt and carried her to her highchair. 

"Ngh," She hugged him tightly, "I love you~" she cooed.

Once there, he already had her sunnyside up eggs and waffle ready, "Nom nom nom nom nom nom." He instinctually began singing again - as per feeding ritual.

"Nom nom nom."

"Nom nom--nom," Woohyun froze mid-song, "Nom nom nom nom nom...nom"

"Nom nom noooom," Infi coherently imitated as she shoved a piece of waffle in .

"HYUNG!! HYUNG!! HYUNG!!!" Woohyun jumped up and freaked out, "Hyung get in here! Infi said her first word! She--she spoke to me!!" He ran around the whole apartment in a frenzy.

"What!? What is it?" Gyu slammed his bedroom door open.

"Infi said her first word!!"

"What!?" Gyu ran over to stand by her. "What? What did she say?" he excitedly asked.

"She said nom! Hyung, I heard her! She said nom nom nom!"

"..." Gyu deadpanned, "Nom nom nom..?" He didn't know whether to hit Woohyun for playing a prank on him or storm off.

"She--" Woohyun saw the dissatisfied look on his hyung's face, "See.. See hyung." He sang the song once more.

But, Infi didn't finish it this time.

"Very funny, Woohyun..." Gyu sarcastically noted before turning to leave.

"But--but she did...She did say it.." He sat down next to her, "If...why didn't you say it this time?"

Infi had full but giggled at her crazy daddy.

"Hmm," he glared at her, "One more time. Nom nom nom nom nom nom?"

"Nom nom nom."

"AHA!! Hyung, she did it again!!" He jumped up, "I'm not hearing things!!"

"SHUT UP!!" was all Gyu'd give him, though.

"..." Woohyun pouted.

"Achoo!" Infi's sneezed into her eggs, splattering yolk all over the place.

"Omo!" Woohyun exclaimed again.

"Hyung... Infi keeps sneezing..." 

"Achoo!"

"Really!?" Woohyun whined, "She's sneezing a lot this morning.."

"..."

"Hyung...?"

Gyu opened his bedroom door, "...Have you checked her temperature?"

"..No.."

"Then...?"

"...I'll check her temperature..."

 

**********

 

Of course, Sungjong's mental breakdown got edited out from that episode.

 

+++++++++++

 

"Achoo!" Uh oh looks like someone's a little sick.

I could have left it on a sad note, but what fun would that be? 

COMEBACK COUNTDOWN: 10 Hours left from the time I upload this chapter! "Tell Me, Tell Me!"