1.28 - Part 1 of Channel Switch - Hello Baby Edition

We Live Together!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So who’s going shopping and who’s staying here with the baby?” Jennie asks.

“How many people do you think it’ll take to make sure the baby doesn’t die while we’re gone?” Jimin asks.

“Realistically two,” Rose answers, smiling at the cute toddler. “Do you think he can walk yet?”

“Only looks big enough to crawl,” Namjoon observes. He then backs away with his hands up, “I can’t be left alone with it, I’ll accidentally kill it.”

“That’s true,” The boys agree. Namjoon sighs in relief.

“Let’s just pick straws or something.” Jungkook suggests.

Receiving a positive response from the group, Jungkook heads upstairs to the pantry to find straws. He carefully cuts them so they’re each a different size and then brings them downstairs to be hand out. Namjoon doesn’t get one, though, since it’s already been declared he can’t be with the baby.

Jungkook passes out the straws, revealing, ‘coincidentally’, Jennie and Yoongi’s shortest straws. Rose looks at Jungkook accusingly and he responds with a shrug and a grin, obviously guilty of giving them the short straws on purpose. Jennie grips her straw tightly, refusing to look at Yoongi, and him doing the same with her.

“I really think I’d make a better asset to the team if I were out shopping,” Jennie argues with Chanhyun still in her arms. “Rose, you’re good with kids, how about you stay?”

“Oh, unnie, I, uh,” Rose looks around, desperately hoping someone will save her. When they don’t, she glares at them before turning back to Jennie. “But you’re already good with Chanhyun, I think he likes you.”

Jennie rolls her eyes, “Forget it, make sure not to forget anything we’ll need though. Diapers, baby powder, baby wipes, powdered milk, toys, clothes, blankets. Don’t forget anything!”

“We won’t, don’t worry,” Jimin assures as the group migrates towards the door.

When they’re gone, the room is filled with tension. Tension that Chanhyun obviously can’t pick up and continues to babble while on his thumb. Without looking at Yoongi, Jennie looks in the crib and finds a baby bottle along with a single diaper and one-time use baby powder packet. She scoffs, “Wow, how generous.”

“If your arms are tired, I can hold him.” Yoongi states.

Ignoring him, Jennie takes a seat on the couch with Chanhyun in her lap and the stuffed animal in her hand. She smiles to Chanhyun and waves the stuffed toy in front of him to get him to play. As she does, she can hear Yoongi heading upstairs. Probably trying to get away from her. But to her surprise, he comes back holding the baby bottle filled with water. He holds it out to Jennie, but she hesitates to take it from him.

“Take it. We can’t have the baby die of dehydration.” Yoongi says impassively. Jennie makes the mistake of meeting his gaze.

Why is it so expressionless? Before, she had thought he was just as miserable as she was, but maybe she was wrong. Or maybe she’s doing the same thing, putting up a wall between the two.

Jennie takes the bottle and mutters quietly, “Thanks.”

It’s still very, very awkward. While Jennie plays with Chanhyun, Yoongi stands and watches only a few feet away. There are so many questions Jennie wants to ask him, but she holds her tongue. She just can’t bring herself to start up something. Who knows, maybe he’ll get annoyed and leave... But she’d rather he stay.

“Do you think this is like a warning from YG?” Taehyung inquires as the group piles into their small bus, the same bus that drove the group to the restaurant way back at the beginning of the show. “‘Don’t get into relationships or sleep together because this is what your consequence will be’?”

“Who knows. It’s a little extreme,” Namjoon answers.

“But you have to admit, it’s kind of scary,” Jimin says from the backseat, next to Taehyung and Namjoon.

“We haven’t even started taking care of the baby yet and you’re scared?” Hoseok asks Jimin. "Come on, guys! It can't be too bad."

Next to Hoseok, Jin comments, “I’m scared, I know that for sure.”

“Calm down, once the Channel Switch is over then we’ll be alright.” Jungkook says across the aisle from Jin and Hoseok.

“Alright boys, I have a list of items we’ll need to buy,” Rose swivels in her seat that’s in front of Jungkook. She reads off a paper, “Jisoo unnie, Lisa and I will buy the clothes, Namjoon oppa and Jin oppa look for milk powder/baby formula and diapers and baby powder and wipes, Hoseok oppa and Jimin oppa look for those baby-proofing things like the styrofoam things people attach to the corners and edges of furniture to make them baby-proof along with those baby gates we’ll put on the stairs and to the entrance of the washrooms and balcony, then finally, Taehyung oppa and Jungkook will buy toys.”

“Got it?” Lisa asks, turning from her spot next to Jisoo to look at the boys.

“Got it,” The boys repeat.

Once the bus stops in front of the department store, Rose faces the group, “If anyone has any questions, text the group and we’ll try our best to answer. We’re a team, right?”

“Let’s go!” Taehyung exclaims to one of the many cameras pointed at them.

Each pair is followed by a cameraman as they search for their specific items.

“Hyung, which one of these diaper brands are we supposed to buy?” Namjoon asks, squatting down to the bottom shelf and sifting through the large packs of diapers. Namjoon pulls one out, “I think this one might be okay.”

Jin looks over his shoulder and scolds, “Yah, that’s for newborns! Chanhyun is definitely in the 7-10 months range.”

“Oh, really?” Namjoon asks, embarrassed. He places the pack back while looking for diapers that will fit 7-10 month olds.

Jin turns to the next aisle over and laughs to himself in despair before calling out to Namjoon, “Yah, RM, we’re done for. There are so many different kinds of formula! What if we pick the wrong one?” Jin looks at the cameraman who’s started to chuckle from Jin’s dilemma. Jin asks sweetly, “Mister, which one would you choose?”

“Me? Go with the blue container,” The cameraman advises.

Jin beams a smiles and picks up the blue container. He reads the labels and nods his head in approval before turning back to the camera, “As expected, Jin and Namjoon team will be successful.”

“Hyung, are these the baby wipes?” Namjoon asks, looking at Jin over the aisle.

Jin joins him on his side and after a few seconds of the two staring at the selections in silence, he turns to the cameraman again. He can’t speak without laughing as he asks, “Mister, which one would you choose?”

Namjoon laughs as Jin selects the wipes that the cameraman points to. Jin bows in gratitude, thanking the cameraman before laughing along with Namjoon.

“That’s it, that’s it, we’re done, let’s go,” Jin exclaims, hurrying to get out of their section. Namjoon trails behind in laughter.

On the other side of the kids store, Hoseok and Jimin are searching intently for baby-proofing devices.

“Hyung, would it be bad if we used dog gates instead of baby gates? Are they really any different?” Jimin asks, having trouble finding the gates Rose requested them to search for.

“They’re probably not too diff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter