No. 52

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh… I made a huge mistake” Mina whispered nervously, hurriedly hitting the door with the palm of her hand once again.

Her hand trembled as she pulled it back and she waited impatiently. She counted to three, not really giving anyone any time to realistically run to the door before she hit the door four more times in quick succession.

Please, please be home. Please let me in.

“Who the hell— Mina?!” Baekhyun asked, throwing the door open, having had to nearly run at the frenzied knocking and ringing of his doorbell.

Mina pushed her way in, nervously pulling at her dress, “I made a huge mistake and I… I ran away” Mina confessed ashamed, as she turned to face Baekhyun, arms wrapped around herself.

“What on earth happened?” Baekhyun asked worriedly, closing the door behind him.

Mina shook her head, trying to piece together what exactly had happened. She had dissected it a dozen times over on the drive here. Every single minute of it had been spent thinking about him and why she had crossed what had been the only line that had kept her safe. She had torn through it and obliterated every wall she had created to protect herself.

As it was she felt exposed, vulnerable, and worst of all so full of emotions that if she had stayed to talk to him and he had suggested running away she would have done it. She would have kissed him and jumped off that very edge that terrified her.

“I ended it with him” Mina explained, meeting his gaze shamefully, “… and the thought of it tore my heart to pieces so I kissed him and everything spilled over, everything is out, every single emotion I’ve ever felt” Mina whispered.

Baekhyun blinked, “I… that’s ok right? It means you chose him, at some point everything has to come out anyways. You’re human Mina, you can’t keep things to yourself forever. You know your answer”

“I didn’t want that to be my answer!” She cried out, feeling a wave of nausea come over her as she clutched her abdomen.

Baekhyun walked over to her and pulled her into a tight embrace. One of those hugs that was so tight it almost obstructed your breathing, but somehow managed to help, “Sometimes that doesn’t get to be a real choice. Sometimes you just have to go with your heart”

“My heart has betrayed me Baekhyun” She murmured into his chest, “My heart is never right”

Baekhyun smiled, “Give it more credit Mina. It knew more so than you did about how much you loved him”

“I was supposed to hold out longer, really make him work for it, and I couldn’t even do that”

He shrugged, “One answer isn’t the only right answer. Everyone is different. You don’t have to make it any harder than it already is for you two, your happiness doesn’t have to wait just because of some unspoken rule. Part of you must’ve started forgiving him even longer than you realized”

Mina said nothing for a moment, “I really love him Baekhyun” She confessed, feeling like a heavy weight had finally be lifted, “I love him more than I thought it possible. How can I still love him despite everything that’s happened?”

“Mina…”

“There has to be something wrong with me to even consider taking him back just because he seems different, but for the first time in a long time Baekhyun… I really think the man I fell in love with is finally back. The one that saved me so long ago, the one I gave my heart to… he’s back and I wasn’t prepared because I was too scared he would never return” She said quietly.

“Sometimes things do work out Mina, just because things haven’t been right for a long time, doesn’t mean they never will. You just have to keep looking forward, no matter how hard it is, don’t let the mistakes and pain from the past keep you down. Don’t let those bad feelings keep you from being happy”

Mina sighed, “I... he’ll be furious I ran away though… to you of all people” She said as she pulled back and looked up at Baekhyun.

“Give him more credit, call him, tell him where you are and make him come to you. That spoiled brat should have to work a little bit harder right?” He joked lightly, “Talk to him, really talk to him and tell him everything you’ve told me”

Mina grimaced at the thought of it, “Not yet, I’ll… get some rest first. I shouldn’t make any decision like this”

Baekhyun sighed, “Do what you want then. I’m heading to bed; spare room is to the left” He said waving her off with a smile.

Mina walked heavily into the room, surprised to find the bed completely made. She stood for a moment, wondering why on earth Baekhyun even bothered when he doesn’t ever have guests. She regretted not asking him for a change of clothes though, the smell of rain wafted up from her clothes, making her unnecessarily uncomfortable with memories of him. She collapsed back onto the bed, staring up at the blank space before her.

She sat up, startled when Baekhyun burst into the room unexpectantly. He stared at her, conflicted as he set a stack of messy papers on the dresser across the room.

After a moment of silence and confusion he finally spoke, “These were supposed to go in the trash a long time ago. Read it or don’t, it’s up to you. I kept them because I thought that one day you might want to see them and now seemed as good a time as any” He said finally before quietly walking out and closing the door shut behind him cryptically.

Mina had a somewhat bad feeling as she stared at the stack of papers. She laid back down, but this time on her side. The smell of rain once again began to build, giving her a massive headache. Mina sat up and took a deep breath. Part of her begged her to ignore the mysterious pile of papers and she did, managing to simply stare at it for a little over an hour until she finally couldn’t stand it any longer. Deciding to take a simple glance, she approached the papers quietly, staring at it silently.  She could have ignored it and let it be had she not seen her name written at the top of one. She felt a little guilty, just reaching in and grabbing them, but she did it anyways. She sat at the edge of the bed, staring at the papers in her hand in silence. The paper itself had various degrees of wrinkling, clearly, they had been meant to go in the trash and that only served to make her more uncomfortable.

She opened the first one in silence.

“I’m sorry”

Was all it said, but almost instantly she recognized the handwriting. Like many of the things involving him, she went for the next paper in the stack, no longer able to stop herself.

“I don’t know how to begin. I don’t know what the correct words are. I don’t even know if there are correct words to say. There’s nothing I can say. I’m sorry”

Her hands shook now as she reached for another one.

“I don’t know how to show you just how sorry I am. I don’t know how to make you see. I don’t know what else to do but change and be different. I want to be a different man for you and for myself. I wanted to be a man you deserve. I’ve always loved you, maybe from the moment I set my eyes on you. How someone so smart and beautiful could have been so hurt was beyond me. I was confident that my love was enough, but I was wrong. I wasn’t str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter