No. 51

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No, there isn’t” She somehow managed to say without allowing her voice to quiver.

He looked like he wanted to say something else, she braced herself for it, but instead all that came was his vacant gaze as he just nodded and went out into the rain.

The rain hurt only slightly, each drop feeling like small pebbles with the force they were falling as they climbed back into his car. Both sat in complete silence for a moment before he started the car without a word and pulled out. She said nothing as she fastened her seatbelt and sank further into the seat, wishing that she could just disappear. The bumpy roads on the way back home sounded even louder than usual and did nothing to help the tears that threatened to fall. The silence gave her the unwanted time to focus on how tight felt and how much her chest ached.

Out of nowhere, the car jerked violently, the wheels slipping on a particularly muddy path. The car swerved slightly as Sehun managed to keep it on the empty dirt road. There was a sputtering sound coming from the front of the car as it came to a sudden halt, jerking them both forward violently. She tried to collect as much information as she could, unaware that his arm had shot out in front of her instinctively sometime in between and that she had been gripping it tightly. His took his arm back, startling her for a moment as she looked around for an explanation.

“Crap” He whispered.

“What’s happening, why did you stop?”

He said nothing, attempting to start the car again, then again. Each time the engine did nothing, but whine before dying yet again. Sehun sighed, making Mina jump slightly when he struck the steering wheel with a curse.

“What’s wrong?” Mina asked again.

Sehun wanted to blurt out all that was wrong and the last thing on that long list was the car. Everything had gone wrong and he didn’t know what to do. But on top of everything, to be stuck in a car with someone who so very clearly had never forgiven you? That was definitely at the top of the list of wrongs.

Defensiveness had always been her strong suit and this was no exception, her emotions already on edge. After all, misplaced anger was a favorite outlet for anxiety and frustration.

“Just because the conversation back there didn’t go the way you wanted it to, you don’t get to shut down on me, tell me what’s going on so we can both find a way to fix this!”

Sehun took a deep breath, opening his eyes tiredly, “There’s nothing to do, the car’s broken”

Mina blinked and looked around. “Broken? What do you mean broken?”

“I mean, it won’t move. We’re stuck. It’s not working”

“Impossible, there has to be something we can do”

“We can call for help and hope they can get out here in less than an hour” He sighed.

“I… I’m going to take a look”

Sehun rolled his eyes, “It’s pouring and you know nothing about cars, how would that help?” He asked, taking out his phone and finding the phone number for the mechanic.

“He will take forever, what are we supposed to do here?”

“We could always talk” Sehun suggested dryly and Mina had no choice but to be embarrassed at the obvious bite in his tone, deciding she really should have never come out here.

“I’ll just sleep” She shot back, not immune to her own sarcastic moments and not missing the brief flicker of a smirk on his face despite the situation.

Expecting him to say nothing she listened instead as he spoke briefly with the mechanic. From the sounds of things, it would be a little over an hour and so she braced herself for what would definitely be the most awkward hour of her life as she settled in. This was nothing, things were really over. He would probably leave her now, since he’s gotten the answer he’s been so openly searching for. This was it.

She couldn’t help it, the idea of never seeing him again echoed endlessly in her mind. She tried to imagine her life, permanently without him and realized that through it all so far, some small part of her had always assumed he would come back to her. She had never, for one second, fully believed that she wouldn’t run into him again or see him again until now. He wouldn’t stay any longer, he had changed, he would respect her foolish wishes. He would leave now with a settled heart, this was what she had asked for.

This wondrous person he had always been had returned, he had changed for the better and he would fall in love again. He would love someone someday as much as he loved her and if she wasn’t a fool she would love him without any reservations. They would get married and have kids. They would have a happy life.

The tightness in her chest worsened as she turned in her seat so that she was on her side and could face Sehun completely. He said nothing, slightly reclined back in his chair, eyes closed and arms crossed over his chest. She wished she could fold into herself and disappear, it would be easier to deal with pushing him away if she just didn’t have to look at him. But she was looking at him and all she saw was everything she loved, not just the external aspect of it, but every part of him held a memory. Memories she wished so much to live through just once more.

“I loved you a great deal” She said suddenly, the words unwilling to stay unsaid, so quietly she wasn’t sure he had heard her through the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter