No.16

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The conflict at the construction site was tiresome Mina realized. In the span of two days, neither side had wanted to budge. She was slightly amazed by how Sehun could stand to listen to such an ignorant man demand a higher payment for subpar work and crappy materials. Regardless of the man’s behavior, Sehun kept his cool and it was only after the man started to get physical that she realized that Sehun had already called security. Still, she could tell he was trying to diffuse the situation as best as he could, but even she could tell that option was far out of the question.

“I’m sorry, then I’m going to have to ask you to leave once again. We will find a different company to finish the job” Sehun said calmly.

“You think bringing your wife around and firing me is going fix anything? We all know she's the one holding the pursestrings right? You can’t do anything” The man snapped, taking a menacing step towards Mina who watched him with an annoyingly serene look on her face.

Sehun stepped in front of her, “Why don’t you act your age and stop trying to attack others instead?”

“You’re both full of bull” He snapped.

Security finally reached them as the man went for Sehun. He moved back with Mina in tow, grabbing her tightly as he kept them both from falling.

“Wait here” He instructed, leaving her as he went to talk to the project manager on the site, the irrational man quickly gone from sight as security dragged him from the property.

Mina watched him and for some reason she felt a little bit like she was back in time. She had watched him back then too. Stealing glances whenever she could so that no one would notice, her heart constricting a little too hard whenever he was besides Min Ji.

This was different and yet felt all too similar. Always within her reach, but just slightly too far away to truly be hers. She had wondered at one point if they hadn’t both gotten wrapped up in the excitement of it back then. If that had been the case though, she was sure that none of this would have hurt nearly as much as it did now. The past few days had felt surreal, their relationship on such neutral, almost good terms, that she wasn’t sure if what was happening wasn’t all in her head. She watched him as he thanked the contractor, the sun glinting off his entire being, somehow shining brighter when he laughed.

He walked over to her and she stood for a moment before she snapped back to it and turned in the direction of the car.

“Watch your step” Sehun said, taking her elbow in his hand, steadying her across the uneven gravel at their feet.

“Thanks” She said simply, her heels momentarily snagging on an uneven surface giving her the opportunity to lean on him just a little more.

“I didn’t know you ventured out of your office so much” She commented as they settled into his car.

“It’s easier to keep things on track when I routinely stop by”

“That guy… he could have hurt you. Does that happen a lot?” She asked, unable to keep the trace of worry from her voice.

“Not really, why? Are you worried about me?” He asked, a cheeky smile on his face.

She laughed, “I just don’t want to be a widow just yet. I’m too young for that, it’d be bad for my prospective dating options” She said pensively.

He laughed, one of those genuine laughs that sent her insides fluttering. He spent the car ride home explaining the reasons as to why the building material was unacceptable. Mina was only half-listening instead choosing to watch the enthusiasm in his eyes, the way in which his hands moved along with his words, animating the points he was making. He brushed his hair back the more technical the conversation became, his own way of focusing on what he was saying. He loved his job she realized with a warm feeling, he was good at it too. It soothed her if only slightly, because it meant something good had come from the mess she had made.

“I have to stop by the office and grab some paperwork, I can drop you off first if you want”

Mina shook her head, “It’s fine, I’ll come with, I can wait in the lobby”

Sehun changed directions and Mina followed him in when they got there.

“I’ll be back soon”

“Ok” She said simply as he nodded and raced off to the elevator. He stopped halfway through and raced back with a grin on his face, "Almost forgot, if anyone asks you why you're here, don't tell them I'm in my office because one thing becomes another and then we're stuck here for 3 more hours!" He said, noting how her eyes sparked with amusement as she agreed and he headed back to the elevator.

Mina shook her head with a smile as she reached for her phone and noticed the battery was dead. She would have to remember to charge it as soon as she got home she decided. A small part of her couldn’t help, but wonder if he had called today too. She had to do something about that too…

“Mina! What’s the occasion, we rarely see you out here!” Seoyoung said with a bright and friendly smile.

“I finally got curious about all that goes on here” Mina said with a laugh. as she turned at the sound of the familiar voice and pocketed the phone without another thought.

Seoyoung was nice, the nicest of the women married to the men involved in her company. She always minded her own business and was just one of tho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter