No. 19

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina had woken up with a bad feeling. The kind that put her on edge throughout the morning. It didn’t help that she was almost sure that something was wrong with Sehun. He had gotten a phone call late last night almost right after they had come home. He had disappeared in his room and even though Mina said she was going to bed, she stayed up. It wasn’t until she heard the office door open that she quietly snuck to her door. He must’ve grabbed something because it was 5 minutes later that the front door opened and closed and she heard his car pull out.

She went downstairs and paced back and forth. They had been slightly awkward in the car, but she hadn’t thought that he was mad or anything. Nothing seemed particularly strange, until the phone call. She sat on the lowest steps of their staircase and waited. Nearly two hours later the front door opened, Sehun froze, a manila envelope in his hands. His eyes appeared tired and there was an edge of tension to him that she did not miss.

“Where did you go?” She asked quietly.

A moment of pause that she did not like crossed between them. Waiting up late for her husband was not her favorite hobby. It scared her.

“There was some trouble at work, I had to go grab some of the contracts we’ve been working on and make a plan to get things under control” He said calmly, holding up the envelope.

Mina wanted to believe him, she really did, but they knew each other all too well so when she pretended to believe him, he knew she was lying too.

“Oh, alright, I was worried something was wrong, but everything is under control right?” She asked.

“Right” He said as he walked over to her and stopped in front of her.

He held out a hand for her and she took it, allowing him to help her up. He did not let go of her hand until she pulled it free. Somehow, the tiredness in his eyes had worsened.

“Take the day off tomorrow” He instructed.

“Why?”

“It’s going to be busy I won’t have any time for you” He said, that was the truth.

“Ok… are you sure?” She asked.

“I am, now go get some rest” He said quietly, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. There was something conflicted in his eyes and she wanted nothing more than to have him confide in her.

That was what real couples did, they talked to each other no matter what the problem was and Mina was dying for him to talk to her. There was something wrong, she knew that for a fact. Was it that worrisome that he wouldn’t even mention it to her? Desperately, she wanted to believe it was just about some contracts at work and nothing else.

“Sehun, are you sure there’s nothing wrong? You can… you should talk to me” She said quietly, “There won’t be anything to fix if we don’t talk”

Sehun knew what he should do, tell her everything right now, but they were on such shaky ground as it was. It would do nothing to help if he told her what was happening. He watched her and tried to smile. It would all be fine as long as he handled it himself. Then she would never have to know and they continue to work on things, to fix things. It was technically lying, but for the right reasons so maybe it was all going to be ok? No matter what, having this particular conversation with her right now made him sicker than having to deal with it himself.

“I know. We will. Don’t worry” He promised and only because he had the devastatingly bad feeling that things were going to implode on them he leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead.

He lingered, his hand on the back of her head gently. She looked up at him and stared at him with those eyes that seemed to read him like a book and he stepped away.

“Have a good night” Sehun said, his voice suspiciously empty.

Mina went to bed feeling worried and woke up feeling worse so now here she was, sitting in bed wondering what on earth was happening. He had left for work much earlier than usual. That manila envelope in hand as he nearly ran out. Mina decided that maybe she needed some fresh air, so she got dressed and grabbed a book. She opened her front door and paused as a small white envelope laid on the ground. There was no one around though and the feeling in the pit of her stomach worsened. Her name was written on the front of the letter and when she took it inside and set it on the table she had the distinct feeling that she did not want to open it.

She opened it anyways. There was a simple note inside.

‘Ask him what was inside of the envelope last night’

Mina sighed, running a hand through her long hair.  She stared at the note and crumpling it in her hand, she grabbed her keys and went to find Sehun.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter