No. 36

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Maybe it was the silence of the night that woke her up.

That all too familiar silence that reminded her of lonely nights. She sat up, the blankets pooling around her waist as her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness around her. She shuddered, the cold air caressing her bare arms softly. She shuffled the blankets off to the side and went for her closet, staring at the rapidly disappearing selection of clothes hanging there.

She either had to do laundry, or had to bring the clothes she moved out back here.

One foot in, one foot out is the mantra she had been following and clearly, even her closet was sick of it. She supposed she was wasting money too, paying rent on an apartment she was barely using anymore she decided as she pulled out somewhat older sweater and drew it over her head.

She flipped on the lights, it was only 11 pm. She had barely been asleep for an hour and she had woken up already. Mina ran a hand through her hair, turning back to her bed. By chance, she glanced at her phone and grabbed it, frowning at the missed call from her dear sister. She made a face tossing the phone aside, deciding that she didn’t need to hear whatever she had to say in the least. Another shudder ran through her and she paused before climbing back into bed.

The heat probably needed to be turned up.

Her steps were steady as she went for the thermostat in the hallway and quietly turned it up. She glanced back at his bedroom and bit her lip, quickly turning around and making her way down the stairs.

They will be there. She knew they would.

Please let his keys be there.

The small glass bowl where he usually threw his keys was empty and she let out a quiet breath. Nothing worse than not knowing, she supposed as she looked towards the stairs, a strange emptiness and void filling her as she arrived at his bedroom. It wasn’t right, to feel as if she was lifting a weight with her wrist when she knocked. The silence that responded did nothing to her, not until she opened the door to find him gone, his room empty.

Every instinct in her begged to run, to leave, to disappear.

She didn’t. She swallowed back her assumptions and worries and went downstairs. There was a tight feeling in as she sank into the sofa and faced the door. Any minute now, the door would open and he would walk through a perfectly rational explanation in hand she told herself.

The night moved slowly and the front door never opened.

The cold wrapped itself around her as she tried to call him. The call went straight to voicemail and she sank further into her worries.

The chime of the clock striking 2 in the morning snapped something in her. Swallowing her pride she called Min Ji’s number. It rang and rang, echoing loudly until it too went to voicemail. She stood dumbstruck at somehow being in the same situation that she had always been, left behind, waiting for someone who never ceased to disappoint her. A small part of her begged her to stay and continue to wait, but she was done with it. She was done waiting for excuses after excuses, she was done waiting for Min Ji to destroy her over and over again. She was done trying she told herself, as she went for the door and left.

 

~~~~~~

 

“You’re Mina’s boyfriend right?” She asked.

Baekhyun choked slightly on his drink, looking around quickly to make sure no one overheard the question.

“No, what on earth are you talking about? She’s married” He snapped, facing the woman who he immediately recognized.

There were hints of Mina in her. Their face shape, nose, and eyes were similar. The faint resemblance all, but faded by the differences in their demeanor. Where as Mina was more reserved and quiet, the woman in front of him exuded an aura of arrogance and self-importance. She made you watch her if only because you had to wonder who she was. Their gazes were different too, Mina’s was kinder, softer, it held a warmth and spark that may have been something Baekhyun alone noticed. This woman’s gaze was sharp, calculating, cunning. As if every word that came from her had been carefully planned.

It mostly was all planned out though.

“I’m good at reading people, believe it or not” She began, falling into step besides him as he tried to walk away, “You love her”

He froze and her smile widened.

“Before you uselessly try to deny it, I’ve seen the way you look at her”

“What do you want with me?” Baekhyun snapped.

She laughed, another stark difference. The sound was low, holding a distinct edge to it that he had never heard in Mina’s laughter.

“To help”

He paused.

“Help with what?”

“Help so that everyone gets the happy ending we want”

“Really? You want to be selflessly helpful? I’ve heard stories about you, it doesn’t sound like you Min Ji”

“It just so happens that my hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter