No. 46

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Her frown only deepened as she heard him laugh lightly with Jimin. She was pretty and young, a serial dater, and clearly very interested in him. He seemed just fine so no hangover for him. He balanced two cups of coffee in both hands casually, talking to her without missing a single beat and Mina somewhat surprisingly bitterly wondered if the second coffee was for that girl. He really did work fast. She pushed her chair closer to her desk, giving herself a bit more leverage so that she could see over the partition between desks slightly better.

“I need to get rid of him” Mina muttered to herself, staring intently.

“Need to get rid of who?” Seohyun whispered, coming up from behind her.

Mina gasped in surprised, “Not who, it” She corrected quickly as she stumbled back into her chair quickly, “Hangover” she explained quickly.

As if to illustrate her point she rubbed her temple lightly. The hangover in this case was very present, but Mina has a sneaking suspicion it was more a stress headache and one that she didn’t have to look far to discover the cause of.

Seohyun’s eyes lit with understanding as she nodded enthusiastically. “Well it’s no surprise” She teased lightly, “We should get you some coffee”

Mina sighed, relieved that her friend had bought it and that the conversation was taking a much-needed turn away from topics she wanted to avoid, “That sounds heavenly”

“Then I bet you’ll be extra happy to see me” He joked from behind her, reaching into her field of vision, the one she had so intensely focused on the center of her desk, with the other cup of coffee he had held originally.

“Oh, I—”

“Wow, way to get on her good side!” Seohyun said with a laugh, taking the cup and placing in Mina’s hand as she stared helplessly at both.

“Actually, I don’t think that co—”

“So, any more outings scheduled for today?" Sehun asked, grinning as he leaned against what was quickly becoming his spot on her desk.

Mina was not a fan of the thought of anything in her life becoming ‘his spot’.

“No!” Mina exclaimed and after composing herself, tried smiling before explaining, “I’m trying to cut back on the drinking so no more outings for me for now” She said with a nervous laugh.

Seohyun nodded solemnly, “I’m proud of you Mina”

Mina blushed and took a sip of the coffee unaware of the pair of eyes watching her expectantly, “Ok… don’t say it like I have some sort of issue. It’s just not worth the headache following it, jeez” She muttered before sighing as the warm liquid worked its way through her system. Her eyes closed in pure bliss. The mix of sweetness followed by the hint of bitter made her smile. Instantly reminding her of mornings before their lives had becoming so messy. Mornings where she would wake up to the smell of hot coffee, made just right.

“You must be psychic; do you have any idea how picky this girl is with her coffee?” Seohyun commented lightly.

The scent of those mornings lingered around them as she opened her eyes and stared up at him. He held her gaze, a faint smile on his face. Those very same mornings replaying his mind. For a split second it just them both once again. Her sitting at the breakfast bar in the old apartment he used to have and him leaning against the kitchen counter, watching her as if she was the center of his universe. With a blink, she remembered suddenly that there had been such a time in their lives… a time when they had been each other’s center of the world. It seemed like lifetimes ago though, as if she was watching two different people entirely. In a way, she was. She pulled her gaze from his and breathed some sanity back into herself, placing the cup of coffee back on her desk she pasted an artificial smile on her face instead.

The faint smile he wore faded away, recognizing immediately the falsity in her motions.

“Thanks for the coffee, I owe you one” She said lightly, before standing up and grabbing some random paperwork, “You get started on organizing the data collected form the past month and I’ll go ahead and print out some of the reports from last month”

She stood up before either could say anything and walked out of the office. She headed for the stairs, her pace quickening as she took the steps one by one before suddenly stopping midway. She took a deep breath before glancing behind her and peering ahead to make sure no one was around. She raised her palm an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter