No. 14

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“There’s a movie I want to go see, come with me” Baekhyun asked over the phone as he grabbed an apple from his kitchen countertop.

“Ah…I’m not sure if I have time” Mina said quietly, looking around her empty room. She had nothing, but time. She wasn’t sure if it was smart to see Baekhyun at the moment she had decided, Sehun’s words still fresh in her mind. Was she getting her hopes up for nothing though? That seemed to always be the case when it came to Sehun.

“Oh come on, it’s just a little while. I promise to have you back before your chaperone notices” Baekhyun said, the laughter following light and teasing.

Mina smiled and chuckled to herself. She was going to reply when her phone beeped in her ear. She pulled it away as she stared at Sehun’s number on her screen.

“Can you hold on a sec? I’m getting another call” Mina asked.

“Sure thing” He said simply as Mina accepted the call and sat up in her spot.

“What’s up?” She asked coolly.

“Good morning to you too” Sehun said dryly and not waiting for her response continued, “I left something at home, I need you to bring it to me”

“Can’t your assistant come pick it up?”

“It’s confidential files”

“So? He’s picked up confidential files before” Mina asked.

“He’s not available” Sehun lied.

Mina sighed as she made her way towards his room, “Where are they?”

“They should be on the dresser, manila envelope”

“I got it, I’ll be there soon” She said and not letting him say anything else, she hung up on his line and switched back to Baekhyun.

“No movie for me, I’ve got work to do” She said as she grabbed onto the envelope and went to her car.

“Work….? Ah, is your husband summoning you?” He asked, Mina frowned at the slightest edge to his voice.

“I’ll talk to you later” She said simply, before hanging up.

Summoning you… the word itself rubbed her wrong way, as if he controlled everything she did. As if she was simply a puppet. She drove over to the company that her father had created from little else, but dust. The company that was never meant to have landed into her hands and she couldn’t help, but feel a shudder down her back. Guilt was only part of the reason that she hated coming to this place. Most of all, she wished that she didn’t have to be reminded of her past, of her family whenever she walked in. As soon as Mina stepped foot into the tall and intimidating building, she instantly wished she could walk right back out when she ran into Yura.

“Oh my, Mina! What a rare sight! You never drop by!” She said with a grin.

Mina smiled and kept walking, forcing the woman to fall into step with her.

“Just bringing some things for Sehun” Mina said.

“Wow, and they say you don’t care enough!” Yura said, coming to a stop when she did.

“Who says that?” Mina asked, turning to face the woman, a little annoyed by the comment in and of itself.

She didn’t care? Who even had the right to say that? What did they know?

“Oh well, I’m just saying there’s lots of women who routinely drop by to see their husbands and we just never see you around aside from social functions” She said with a smile.

Mina fought the instinct to roll her eyes, “Some of us have other stuff to do outside of leisurely bothering their husbands at work” She snapped, walking into the elevator, even more annoyed when she followed her in.

“Well I certainly would never say something like that. It’s just that with a big empty home, is there really that much to take care of? I mean, you two don't even have kids and it’s been 3 years already—“

Mina had a brief flash of fantasy in which she went off on Yura and called her out for possibly being one of the nosiest and most annoying woman she had ever met. It brought to her some inner peace, a calming effect that she could not have achieved otherwise.

“We’re taking our time, but thanks for your concern” She said with fake happiness as she stared the woman down, “Now if you don’t mind, I know you don’t have anyone to see on the executive floor so did you just want to ride to the top with me or were you planning on stopping on a different floor?”

Yura’s face burned red as she cleared and pressed the button for the upcoming floor.

“That’s what I thought” Mina added smugly, knowing full well she wasn’t being exactly gracious about the situation and not really caring either.

Yura seemed to want to say something else as she stepped off the elevator, but for once the elevator doors closed fast enough and Hyemi was left alone. She let out a tired breath and slumped along the wall of the elevator. Dealing with women like that was exhausting. Too exhausting to try to do daily. She didn’t know how Sehun managed the act every single day. Something about the fact that he preferred to do that over coming home to her managed to make her even more tired. She stared at the manila envelope in her hands and frowned. She should have just sent it with a courier, what was the point in missing out on a movie just to play delivery girl?

Don’t you mean missing out on Baekhyun?

She shook her head, shaking those thoughts from her mind as the elevator finally arrived at the top floor. Mina hesitated before she stepped off and walked further in. There was a woman leaving Sehun’s office. She was tall, taller than Mina anyways and pretty. Really pretty. Mina had enough sense to be able to admit that the woman’s proportions must’ve been a gift straight from god. The woman walked past Mina without so much as a second glance. Mina frowned as she approached Sehun’s assistant’s desk.

“Joohyuk, who was that?” She asked.

The younger man blinked, “Oh, her? The real estate representative for the land the company is looking into buying”

Mina tried to keep her face completely passive as she nodded, “I’ve got Sehun’s papers, I’m gonna go drop them off” She said and walked into Sehun’s office.

She had no problem admitting that she a bit put off, to put it nicely. She also had no problem admitting to herself, and herself alone, that the woman was the cause of it because suddenly Mina was left to wonder, was she the one? The one who had borrowed her husband from time to time. It bothered her far too much. The fact that it bothered her so much angered her, because she shouldn’t be in that position, she shouldn’t have to stand there and wonder if any woman that walked past had slept with her husband. She stared at Sehun and pushed those thoughts from her head, unwilling to expose them so easily.

Instead she paid attention to how different the office was from the last time she had been in there.

“I made changes to it” Sehun said, reading her mind with an uncanny accuracy as he stood from behind his desk and walked over to her.

“It’s nice, did you do it yourself?” She asked casually.

“I did. I remembered what you told me the first time we came here, about clearing out all that unnecessary furniture” He said.

She nodded and smiled, momentarily forgetting that she was supposed to be mad, “I told you, there was no need to have a million chairs cluttered around. It looks more spacious without them,” She turned to face him and recalled the reason she was here, “Here” She said, handing him the envelope.

“Ah, thanks” He said as he took them from her. They both stood awkwardly for a moment, neither having anything in particular to say to the other.

“Well, if that’s it, then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter