No. 29

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I know I shouldn’t be calling. I just… this was the only way to hear your voice. I miss you….”

Mina closed her eyes, replaying the message just once more. She memorized the words, trying to imagine that the voice on the message was besides her.

It didn’t work. The empty space remained, besides her and in her heart.

She sat up and pulled out her computer. Articles had steadily disappeared over the day, some being taken down as soon as they were posted. She thought about the dress waiting for her at the boutique minutes away from the company. Was this enough of an excuse to see him, she wondered? She picked at her blanket quietly, what exactly was she hoping to achieve by seeing him? She knew though, she wanted to know what he was thinking. Was he mad? What did he think when he saw the photographs?

Most importantly, if he asked her if nothing was going on, would she really be able to say no?

She thought of the kiss from the night before, her face heating up from the memory. She groaned in embarrassment and drew the blankets over her head before collapsing back into bed. Idiot, she was an idiot. She should’ve simply stayed at home.

It was stupid and reckless, but before she knew it she found herself at the dress shop picking up the rose colored dress. She ignored the way the cashier stared at her curiously, clearly having read the article from before. Standing outside she faced left to where she knew Sehun was probably in his office. She didn’t really want to see him, she decided, but walking away when she was so close was so hard. Her phone rang with Baekhyun’s call. She hesitated before finally answering.

“Where are you?” He asked casually.

“Came out for some fresh air”

There was a moment of silence in which she was almost sure he knew she lied before he replied, “I figured we could do something tonight, to keep your mind off that fundraiser” He offered.

“I don’t really need a distraction again” She shot back.

“Come on, I have a surprise, I promise it’ll be fun” He paused for a moment, “Give me a chance”

“Fine, whatever. I’m gonna go, I have to head back home”

“See you tonight then”

She didn’t say anything before she hung up. That’s right, she should just go. She turned the opposite way and went back to her car before she heard her name being called.

“Mina! Did you come to see him?” Jonghyun asked excitedly, breathless as he approached her. She noticed the cups of coffee in his hands and realized he must’ve made a run for a few people in the office.

“Ah, no I just came to pick something up” She said quietly, holding up the dress in her hands.

Disappointment crossed his face, “He seems to be worried about you. You are coming to the fundraiser tonight right? He’s been under so much stress from the board of directors, especially with those… um… rumors, you know?”

Mina glanced down, “I know, I’m sorry”

He shook his head, “No, I’m not judging! I’m just saying…. If you wanted to see him. He is right over there. Maybe you should just stop in? Especially if you’re not coming tonight, just showing up would help him I think…”

“I guess… I could” She found herself agreeing as she grew increasingly nervous, following him in.

He spoke casually, keeping their conversation light as she followed him in. The stares from the people there could not have mattered to her less. The only thing in her mind was what she would say when she saw Sehun. She found herself at the door to his office, alone, all too soon. She knocked, there was a pause before his voice echoed from inside to come in.

She didn’t say anything when she walked in. She watched him, focused intently on his computer, keys clicking away as he typed something out. He seemed tired, stressed out. His hair was messy from where he probably continued to run his hand through it. She wondered if he was sleeping properly, if he was eating well.

“I was nearby so I thought I’d stop in” She finally said, not missing the way he stilled at the sound of her voice.

He said nothing, sitting behind his desk, eyes unsure if they were actually seeing her or if the lack of sleep had finally gotten to him.

“Mina?” He asked quietly.

“Yeah?”

Relief washed over him when she replied back. It wasn’t some crazy illusion, she was actually here. He stood up, momentarily speechless. All thought processes paused, all he could hear was his heart pounding in his ears. He motioned towards a chair awkwardly.

“Seat?” He cleared his throat, “I mean, take a seat”

He seemed nervous, it was the first thing Mina noticed as she clutched the black garment bag to herself and took a seat. If he wasn’t nervous then she certainly was. He said nothing as she watched him, both falling into an awkward silence.

“Those articles online… it seems like they’re disappearing fast. I’m assuming you’re the one taking them down?” Mina started.

Sehun nodded, suddenly averting his gaze to the paperwork on his desk instead of her.

“The tabloids are going crazy with them. They’re making up all sorts of lies…” He said, catching her gaze daring her to confirm that nothing was indeed going on.

“The company fundraiser is tonight. Is it going to be bad if I don’t show up?” She asked instead.

A look of stress that crossed his face. His forehead furrowed in deep thought, fingers tapping on the desk rapidly as he thought about it.

“I’ll manage”

“I could go… I wouldn't want this dress to go to waste” She offered, holding up the bag.

“You don’t have to” He said quietly.

“What's happening right now doesn't change some things” She said finally after some thought, choosing instead to be more than a little honest.

“Like what?”

“Me. I could hate you or be angry with you, hurt, or whatever, but I don’t think I’d ever want to truly hurt you or what’s important to you” She said truthfully, “at least not intentionally”

He watched her carefully, “You’re a better person than I’ll ever be Mina”

A silence passed over them before Mina finally stood up.

“Don’t worry about it. I should get going now”

“Wait” He said, standing up suddenly.

She stopped, waiting for him to say something, anything. He fell silent, his eyes searching hers for answers she didn’t have. When he didn’t say anything she went for the door.

“Mina” He said once more, stopping her yet again.

She turned back to him, holding her breath slightly.

“Drive safe” He said simply, fingers to his temple. She smiled lightly and nodded before stepping out.

Disappointment colored her emotions as she went to the elevator, not knowing quite what she had been expecting. She stepped in and stared forward, brows rising when Sehun ran out, his gaze finding hers. The elevator doors slid shut as she gasped and placed her purse in between. The doors connected with it, opening on contact. He ran the rest of the way to her, catching his breath for a moment as he leaned against the frame of the entryway.

“You could stop by home, our home” He suggested, holding her gaze firmly once he looked up.

“I’m not sure that’s the best idea”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter