No. 50

Bleeding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Mina…” Baekhyun said quietly into the phone, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing… just… I’m… I don’t know” She answered edging on despair.

“Do you need me to go? I can be there in a few hours” Baekhyun promised and she believed him because she heard the clatter of his things moving around.

“No, don’t bother” She sighed for what must’ve been the fifth time, “What do you think about Sehun? Have you heard anything more about him over there, is he different?”

Baekhyun sank back into his chair and glanced at the surface of his desk, “How would I really know Mina?”

Mina buried her head in her arms and sighed, “I know, right? What am I doing asking you?”

“Do you want to hear what I think?”

“Sort of. Maybe” She admitted.

“I think the problem isn’t really whether he’s changed, you need to be able to trust him if you’re considering anything with him again. Lack of trust is what ruined the both of you the first time around, if you think he’s got trust in you, you have to make sure you’ve got trust in him too”

“When did you become so wise my friend?”

“It happened quite suddenly” Baekhyun replied with a laugh, “Did I help at all?”

“A little… it’s just that I’m terrified of making a decision I might regret. Isn’t it silly? To be terrified of something as simple as feelings?”

“Not that silly considering your history”

Mina nodded and absentmindedly pet Nuni, “We’re going to check out this location for a client”

“The two of you alone?”

“It just ended up that way”

“And….”

“And I think… I’m worried something’s going to happen” She confessed recalling how dangerous it had been to just be alone with him in her apartment.

“Do you want something to happen?”

“I don’t know what on earth I want”

“You just have to make a choice Mina and after that I promise everything will fall into place” Baekhyun said gently.

For the first time in a while Mina felt the fresh prick of tears in her eyes. She smiled to herself because they weren’t entirely sad tears, but rather those of relief because no matter what happened, this time she knew she would be ok and that she wasn’t alone.

“Have I ever told you… how much I treasure you Baekhyun?”

“I’ve always known, I’m hard to not treasure” He joked, making light of things, “Aren’t you glad I stumbled upon you that night?”

She smiled despite the tears that slipped out, “You changed me, you know?”

Baekhyun smiled on his own end, “I was only a welcome catalyst, you changed yourself Mina, you never needed anyone to do it, you just needed a reminder you were worth changing”

“Ah…” Mina said lightly, wiping away her tears, “Look at the poet coming out within you”

Baekhyun laughed fully then, knowing that if she was joking around then she was alright, “I’m making time for a trip down to see you. No matter what, I’ll be down there in two weeks, alright?”

She grinned, “I can’t wait, it’s been too long”

“Alright, well get going then. I’ll call you tomorrow”

“Bye” She said, hanging up.

She stood up and stretched before going to take a quick shower, the entire time thinking about the chain of events that led her to this time and moment. More specifically, why she didn’t find it in herself to threaten her manager that she would quit if she had to go with Sehun. She was valuable enough that it would have worked, but she didn’t pull that trick. Maybe she hadn’t wanted to test it, but maybe… she thought as she stared at the water droplets cascading from the wall, maybe she wanted whatever it was Sehun and her were spiraling towards to finally happen.

Part of her wanted the band aid to be ripped off in one fell swoop so that she wouldn’t have to wonder any longer, so that the suspense of things would never bother her again. Maybe then she’d finally be able to complete close the book and start a new one.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Mina found herself trying harder than usual to focus on her job as she jotted the needed information on the paperwork she held in her hands. She tried her best to catch everything, but knew she wasn’t doing her best considering every few moments she would catch herself glancing over at Sehun. Who on the other hand was doing a great job at staying focused. He said nothing about that strange moment two weeks ago and upon reflection, had really backed off since that moment. She had been mildly surprised, expecting him to take that moment as encouragement to come on stronger, but she wondered if when it came down to it, it had frightened him as much as it had her.

She finished filling out the last thing she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter