Business as it is

THE CALM STORM
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How convenient of you to still remember" Hanbin commented, he was talking about Hayi's concern towards him, but there was some sarcasm tone in it.

When Hayi heard him, she instantly guessed that Hanbin might be wondering if he is still important in her heart. Well the truth is, she's actually concerned because an average person would've done so too to prevent something bad from happening.

However, Hayi seems uncomfortable if Hanbin would instill it in his mind that she is specifically caring over him like she did back then when they were a couple.

So Hayi said "Its no big deal. I naturally said so because I have a lot of friends who are also allergic to seafood and it has become a habit of mine to remind them every single time about it, especially when they make an erroneous order. I could say that it has became a reflex of mine. More over, I myself is allergic to some seafood, so I stay vigilant."

"A reflex?" Hanbin's face went a bit disappointed.

"Yes" she said plainly.

"So that's how it is ..." he murmured to himself.

Suddenly, the atmosphere became awkward again. Both had to look down as they were also both thinking about what's the next thing to talk about.

Apparently, Hanbin was the first to ask abruptly about something, and the first thing that crossed his mind was Hayi's parents.

"How is president and madame Lee nowadays?"

Hayi wasn't expecting Hanbin to ask about them, so she was not prepared. In the end, she decided to tell him facts.

"They're good, but of course my dad lost control of the company, so basically I have to deal with that and help him not to be kicked out of the board. I have been steadfastly doing my best work for  the company, so that they will still hold unto my dad. My mom is still as active in charities and art trade as usual" said Hayi plainly.

Hanbin nodded and said "that's good" then he looked at Hayi again and asked, "I heard Madame Lee recently invited Jackson over for dinner?" 

"Well, yes, she did ... how did you know about that?" Hayi asked, she wondered why Hanbin had to be so nosy these days.

"Jackson and I are acquaintances remember" he plainly said.

Hayi felt embarrassed after thinking that Hanbin was just being nosy around her business. However, she did not know, that in truth, Hanbin no longer contacts Jackson.

"Yes, he went to our house and helped mom with the cooking and he ate with us" Hayi said.

"Oh really? It seems that you are on good terms with him" Hanbin indifferently said, but in his mind, he was thinking 'that guy tsk! he even ate with her family already, its not hard to see that he seemed impatient. I hope her parents thought so too.'

Hayi heard his remark and sensed some sarcasm in it. However, she pulled herself not to react to his sarcasm. 

"Indeed" Hayi only replied calmly.

Hearing such affirmation from Hayi, Hanbin was trully stunned, but he did his best to repress his emotions.

"Ma'am, sir, your food is here" the waiter finally arrived and properly placed the fine dishes on the table. Suddenly, they two had to erase the awkwardness of the atmosphere.

"Let's eat!" said Hanbin, then he took Hayi's table napkin and unfolded it for her, like he always did just like before.

Hayi was shocked for a moment, then Hanbin looked at her and realized his own actions.

So he gave the napkin back to her and apologized "I'm sorry, I was used to doing it for you." 

Hayi just nodded, but there was no smile on her face.' Used to do it for her?' She thought, 'we did not see each other for a long while, why didn't such habit stop?' She asked herself.

In the middle of devouring the sumptuous meal, Hayi opened the topic about the business.

"So Hanbin, what was it that you want to say to me about business?" She tone was clear that she was here for this purpose.

Hanbin suddenly also turned to business mode once the topic was opened.

"Ok, well to be honest, a month ago, Kim Gunho went over to my office and said that he had a proposal for me" Hanbin said as he took a bite of his food.

"Kim Gunho? MS' Kim Gunho?!" she was surprised to know that Kim Gunho secretly aproached Hanbin. Usually, that Kim Gunho would inform the board if he is taking actions like engaging with other powerful businessmen.

"Yes. Who else would he be? There's no other person named like him who is as powerful as him" Hanbin reminded.

"Oh" Hayi forgot, then she just waited for Hanbin to tell the rest.

"He said he wanted a partnership for a certain project between MS and Kim Sang. He said our tourism ventures are attractive and wanted to incorporate MS' hotels and services in that sector" he said.

"He said that?" Hayi asked.

"Yes" said Hanbin.

Her eyes were wide open as it seems Kim Gunho used her own ideas, it was about getting their services become exclusively involved with major tourism business players.

Gunho apparently, much to her dismay, rejected that idea of hers before the board months ago. The reason for the rejection was Gunho's disbelief that major tourism players would sign an exclusive contract with a specific service provider like MS group which asks for the standard price payment compared to other service players nowadays which asks for a cheaper contract. Hayi didn't know exactly why Kim Gunho had such mindest when it is only understandable why MS' price would differ since it gives the top performance in the field.

Hayi mentally laughed knowing now how shallow Kim Gunho was, such as using other people's ideas, and how lucky it is for her to have learned about this without Kim Gunho knowing that she already found out that he used her idea.

Hanbin was looking at Hayi who was silent for a while.

"What's wrong? Do you have something to say?" Hanbin asked as he saw Hayi supressing something.

"No... I have nothing to say. Please continue sharing Kim Gunho's proposal" she said.

Hanbin was so sure that Hayi was hiding something but he lets this one go.

"So, Gunho said it would be an honor for him to work with me and hopes that I'll accept despite my tarnished relations with the soon-to-be former president, your dad, is the one he meant" said Hanbin.

"I would know who he meant by that, even without you mentioning who he is referring to. Anyway, since that is the case, when are you going to accept the proposal?" She asked.

Hanbin gave a smirk after hearing her question.

Hayi got chills from that cold, mischeivous smirk.

"Hmm... what a good thing it would be for him if I'll just accept it easily for him" he coldly said.

"So you won't accept it?! But don't you think its a good proposal" Hayi asked. 

Of course Hayi doesn't care about Gunho's reputation as a failure in front of a big and successful young tycoon such as Kim Hanbin, but she had genuine concern over the company and over her own pride and self esteem, given that what was proposed by Gunho was the fruit of her analytical skills.

She knows that her plan and idea were good, she was confident about its success. Thus, even if she gets discredited for her own idea, she could walk pass that for the sake of the company's performance.

But if Hanbin will reject the project it will also be a big slap on her face, and if such thing will be known by Gunho, she will be mocked.

Hayi cared less about her own credit and cared more for the realization and reaffirmation that her idea is worth a shot.

"Won't accept? I already rejected it." Hanbin was quite proud of himself for his decision. 

As for Hayi, her mood degraded and a frown grew on her face.

"You ... rejected it? Why?! Won't you give it a try?" She asked enthusiastically and disregarded her disappointment for a moment.

Hanbin expected this reaction from her, he showed no emotion on the outside, but inside, he laughed.

"It was a good idea though" Hanbin said with a smile.

"If you think so, then why the rejection?" She asked again.

Such question made Hanbin look at Hayi staright on the eyes. 

"Hayi, a man like me knows a lot of things in business, I know how people in the business world think" Hanbin puts down his fork and knife and focused talking to Hayi.

Hayi knows that for sure, but she was quite confused as to how is that related to the subject.

"What does that mean?" She honestly asked.

Hanbin leaned forward and now had his body closer to her side. This scene made Jaewon jump up from his seat, as he was intently observing the two from time to time.

"It means ... that I know it was not Kim Gunho who originally had that idea" Hanbin sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter