First Chapter

My Cyber World

Kyunggi High School, how was I supposed to describe it? It was definitely not like any other high school in Korea. You needed to be rich, wealthy to be exact. Or have awesomely good grades. Otherwise you wouldn’t get in.

And what am I?

Someone with wealthy parents or awesomely good grades, you won’t believe it. I’m none of them. Okay I am, but I don’t see it like that. They are not my real parents. They adopted me five years ago, due to that the social workers came to visit our home when I was 13 and finally noticed how I was beaten up, daily by my father.

My mother passed away when giving birth, and thus also why my dad hit me. He blamed my mother’s death on me. If it weren’t for me, then she’d still be alive.

One would think that, since I got removed from my father and placed at someone who where willing to adopt me. It would get better. But it didn’t.

I had never during my thirteen years in this world ever had a real friend; I had always been someone who pulled away when getting too close, mainly because I was afraid to get hurt, both emotionally and psychically.

At first, my new parents, a mother, father and an older brother. They where all nice to me, until I where driving them crazy, but I couldn’t do anything about it. The feeling of having a real family where mostly scarier than having none, because it meant that I needed to adapt to them, something that I never in my life had done.

But the problems didn’t stop there. When I was sixteen my older brother tried to me when our parents where on a vacation. Of course they wouldn’t believe me. And that’s when everything began again. I received my first slap in years that day.

I started to pull away even more. The internet became my world. It was a place where I felt safe and where no one judged me. Because all I was, where a nickname. I didn’t have to reveal my whole life to anyone. I didn’t have to face people eye-to-eye.

And since my new family where influential and highly respected people in the Korean society, they couldn’t afford to see me fail, and thus I where sent to an all girls school in Japan for a year, they wanted me to get away and discover what I wanted to do with my life. Much to their despair it didn’t work out that well. I skipped classes, cursed at the teacher and got into fights with the other students, all that resolute in me getting kicked out and I where soon enough sent back to Seoul again.

When I landed at Incheon I had this huge smirk plastered on my lips. If they thought that sending me away would solve everything, forget that. Though, a month later the nightmare began again, I started a new school, Kyunggi high school.

I hated it and I wanted it to end, but my parents told me that if I didn’t graduate, they would make sure that I never ever would be able to live a normal life. They threatened me, I knew that much. On the other hand, I couldn’t do anything. They had power, I didn’t. No one would believe me if I told the police that I was being threatened and what they’d done, and what they are still doing.

Forget that.

But they don’t really care about me anymore. All they give me is money for food and what else I want to buy. But I barely use them. I save them so that when I get out of high school, I’ll escape this hell.

~~

I don’t have any friends as of now; I don’t want any friends either, I get by on my own more than well. But recently, there have been this two at school. They act weird, towards me. But what scares me the most, is that I have no clue why they are staring at me the way they do.

It’s as if they know, about me and my past.

But I don’t know them. For me they are just like any other stuck up student who think that they are worth more than anyone else.

“Yah, Hwani, come here” it was Go Eun. She was the only child of the founder of Cyworld, believe it or not. Her family is probably one of South Korea's richest families. But that also meant, annoying and stupid , she thought she “owned” all the weak girl students. And that included me. I weren’t really weak, I was playing. I couldn’t get kicked out of school, because then, I would probably be kicked out from home and the people who feed me.

So I had no choice, I had to do what Go Eun say.

I muttered an inaudible coming before I dragged my feet’s towards Go Eun and her two friends, her company. Or slaves as some might say.

“YAH, MOVE IT FASTER” she snarled and I hurried over to her side before she started to explain that a new jacket was being exclusively sold only today. But since she was at school, and couldn’t afford to get reports back home, then my job was to go and get it, during school time. I glared at her, how I wanted to slap her across the face and tell her to do the dirty work herself.

But I kept my mouth shut and preceded towards the door, before I climbed over the wall and ran to the nearest bus stop with my heart pumping.

One day, I’ll show her, that you don’t mess with me.