Decision

Still Believe

“Where?” Jinyoung muttered.

“I’ll be there, thanks.” Jinyoung said and he slowly removed the phone from his ears while his tears continue to fall.

Mark held his hand. “Baby, what happen? Why are you crying?”

Jinyoung slowly turned to look at Mark, he burst out crying and the older hugged him while caressing his back.

“What happen Jinyoung? Who called you?” Jackson asked him this time.

“We need to go to the hospital.” Jinyoung said in his sobs. “Mom was rushed to the hospital.”

Their eyes widened and Mark suddenly pulls away and looked at the younger. “What?! W-what happened to her?”

“T-they said that she had a h-heart attack.”                                

Jackson immediately stood up and gets his car keys. “Let’s not waste time sitting here. Lets’ go.”

They all stood up and went to the parking lot. Mark was hugging Jinyoung who kept on crying along the way while Bambam caressed Jinyoung’s back saying everything’s going to be alright. When they arrived at the hospital, they immediately ran to the information.

“Excuse me, is there a woman that was rushed here because of a heart attack.” Jackson asked one of the nurses in the information.

“Mrs. Park? She’s in the emergency room.” The nurse answered.

Jackson hissed before thanking the nurse and they made their way to the emergency room.

“MOM!” Jinyoung shouted as soon as they arrived in front of the emergency room, he tried to let go from Mark’s gripped.”Mark, let me go! I need to go to her!”

“Jinyoung you‘re not allowed to go inside!” Jackson said as they tried to stop him.

“Why not?! She’s my mom! MOM!”

“Baby, please calm down.” Mark finally said.

Jinyoung turned to looked at him and he saw Mark’s dreadful face. Jinyoung looked down as he tried to calm himself, he sat on one of the bench and Mark followed and sat beside him. The older hugged him and he sobs in Mark’s shoulder. “I will never forgive myself when something bad happen to her, it’s all my fault.”

Mark shook his head. “No, it’s not your fault. No one is at fault, okay? Don’t blame yourself.”

Jackson sat beside Mark while Bambam sat beside Jinyoung and they hugged the two.

They turned their heads when the door from emergency room suddenly opened and Dr. Lee came out from the room. They all stood up and approached the doctor.

“Are you the relatives of Mrs. Park?” Dr. Lee asked.

“Me! I’m her son? Where is she?” Jinyoung spoke.

“She’s now in a stable condition. You can see her after we transfer her to a normal room.”

“What happened to her?”

Dr. Lee didn’t say anything he just looked at Jinyoung then to the others and he let out a loud sigh.

 “Follow me.” Dr. Lee ordered as he started to walked to his office.

Jinyoung looked at Mark and the older held his hand. “I’m here.” Jinyoung nodded and they followed Dr. Lee.

“Please have a seat.” Dr. Lee offered when they arrived in his office. “Jinyoung, right? Park Jinyoung?”

Jinyoung furrowed his eyebrows. “How did you know?”

“Your mom and I were schoolmates when we were in high school. You’re mom was the best friend of my late wife. She always talked about you every time she went here.”

“She always comes here?”

Dr. Lee nodded his head. “Ever since she knew about her illness. Jinyoung, I know she hid her illness from you and I know that I’m not in the position to tell everything to you but after what happened, I guess I must tell you about this.”

Jinyoung frowned and he tightened his gripped to Mark’s hand. He needs to be strong.

“Your mom had a coronary artery disease.”

“W-what’s that?”

“Coronary artery disease is the most common type of heart disease. It happens when the arteries that supply blood to heart muscle become hardened and narrowed, this is due to the build up of cholesterol and other material we called plaque. As it grows, less blood can flow through the arteries. As a result, the heart muscle can't get the blood or oxygen it needs and this can lead to chest pain or a heart attack. She’s also suffering from emotional stress and pain that’s why it occurs and I’ll tell you Jinyoung, your mom’s illness is getting worst. The plaque is getting bigger and it’s already blocking the flowing of the blood. There’s a possibility that another heart attack will occur and when that happens I’m afraid that she can’t handle it anymore.” Dr. Lee explained to them.

Jinyoung’s heart sank after hearing it all, he’s mother was fighting with an illness and he didn’t even notice it? What kind of son he is? He’s blaming himself to what happen to her mom, he just can’t help it. He looked down as he face palmed, tears threatening to fall while Mark wrapped his arms around the younger as he rubbed Jinyoung’s arm.

“Is there anything we can do about it? To save her?” Mark desperately asked.

“Yes, there is.”

Jinyoung lifted his head, eyes full of hope but it slowly fades away when Dr. Lee continued.

“A heart transplant.”

 

 

Jinyoung was inside his mother’s ward, he was holding her hand until he fell asleep, his head placed on his mother’s bed. Mark came in, he went home to packed some clothes for them. He placed the backpack he brought on the couch and walked towards the younger.

“Jinyoung…” Mark called while shaking the younger’s shoulder.

Jinyoung slowly open his eyes, he lifted his head and looked at Mark. “Where are Jackson and Bambam?”

“After they dropped me at the house to pack some clothes, I told them to go home and rest.” Mark answered.

Jinyoung nodded his head. “You should also take a rest hyung, you still had a work tomorrow.”

Mark pulled Jinyoung’s phone from his pocket and gave it to him. “Jackson said that you dropped this while you’re struggling to go inside the emergency room. Jaebum also called, I answered it and I told him what happened. He said he will come here tomorrow.” After giving Jinyoung his phone, Mark walked back to the couch and sat. “I took a leave from work. I will stay here with you.”

Jinyoung gave him a small smile, he walked towards Mark and sat beside him. He leaned his head on Mark’s shoulder while the older wrapped his arm around Jinyoung.

“Did you already eat your dinner?”  The older asked.

Jinyoung shook his head. “I don’t have an appetite.”

Mark didn’t protest to the younger anymore, he knows that Jinyoung was really not in the mood to eat right now. They stayed like that for a while until Jinyoung broke the silence.

“I don’t know what to do anymore, hyung.” Jinyoung said.

“Do you want to pursue the transplant for her?” Mark asked.

Jinyoung slowly nodded his head. “But it will cost a big amount of money.”

Mark stayed silent for a while, thinking some ways on how to overcome this kind of problem that was given to them. “We can… postpone our wedding first then let’s use the money for your mom’s operation.”

Jinyoung was shocked with Mark’s decision, he lifted his head and looked at the older in disbelief. “Mark…”

Mark looked at him, and he gave Jinyoung a small smile. “It’s okay Jinyoung, your mom is more important. We can’t proceed to our wedding when she’s here in the hospital, fighting for her life.”

Jinyoung starts opening and closing his mouth, unable to utter any words. He can’t let that happen, he knows how much their wedding meant to the older.

Mark held his hands. “The money that we had for our wedding will not be enough for the operation, so I was thinking that maybe we should sell the lot that my father gave to me.”

“No! I won’t let that happen!” Jinyoung shook his head and he pulled his hands from the older. “Are you crazy?! It’s your father’s last gift to you and it’s also our future Mark. How can you say all these things?”

Mark tried to calm him, he held Jinyoung’s hands again but the younger struggle to pull it away so Mark tightened his grip. “Babe, listen to me. It’s the only thing that we can do.”

“No, please Mark no.” Jinyoung pleaded. “I know that lot is very important to you. That is the place where you’re going to build your future, that’s what your father told you and I want that to happen. I want you to fulfill it with me.”

Mark loosened his grip when he saw the younger shed tears and pulled Jinyoung into a tight hug.

“Mark please, don’t do it.” Jinyoung said while he’s sobbing.

“I’m sorry baby.”

“Mark please…”

Mark nodded his head. “I’m sorry, I promise I won’t.”

Mark hugged Jinyoung until the younger fell asleep in his arms.

 

 

Jinyoung woke up when he heard someone calling his name. He slowly open his eyes, he looked up to Mark was still sleeping, arms wrapped around him.

“Jinyoung, sweetie.”

Jinyoung turned around and he saw his mother sitting on her bed while smiling at him. He pulls away from the older and ran to his mom to hug her.

 “Mom! I’m so sorry, it’s my fault. Please don’t leave me.” Jinyoung said while sobbing in his mother’s embrace.

Mrs. Park shushed him. “Don’t cry, baby. It’s not your fault, please don’t blame yourself sweetie.”

Jinyoung pulls away, still sobbing. At the same, Mark stirred in his sleep when he heard someone sobbing. When he opened his eyes, he saw Mrs. Park wiping Jinyoung’s tears. Mark stood up and walked towards them, he sat beside the younger who’s sitting on the bed.

“Mark, sit here.” Mrs. Park patted the chair beside her bed.

As soon as Mark already settled himself beside her, she grabbed Mark and Jinyoung’s hand and held it.

“I know I made a mistake for hiding my illness from the both of you and even if you two caught me clutching my chest because of pain, I still didn’t admit it when you guys asked me. I’m so sorry. I just don’t want you to get worried.” Mrs. Park looked at her son. “Jinyoung, I know Dr. Lee already told you about my illness.”

Jinyoung nodded his head. “You’re going to have the heart transplant.”

Mrs. Park widened his eyes. “Jinyoung, the operation will cost a big amount of money.”

“We’ve decided to postpone our wedding, aunty.” Mark said.

“No, you can’t postpone it.” Mrs. Park disagreed.

“It’s Mark’s decision, I didn’t also like it at first but I guess he’s right. We can’t proceed our wedding while you’re here.” the younger said.

Mrs. Park sighed. “I’m so sorry, you have to go all through this just because of me.”

“As long as you’re going to be fine mom, we’re willing to do everything.” Jinyoung said as he held his mother’s hand.

“But the money that you saved for the wedding will not be enough for the operation.”

“It’s okay mom, don’t worry about it. I’ll find a way.” Jinyoung said, he looked at Mark and gave the older a warn. “Don’t sell the lot.”

 

Jackson and Bambam came to the hospital, they offered to help Jinyoung knowing that the younger will pursue the transplant for his mother. They offered to lend him money for the operation but Jinyoung didn’t accept it. He knows that the two were working on their new coffee shop and they need a capital for it but they insisted, so Jinyoung forcibly accept it and he promised to pay it back.

It was already afternoon when Jinyoung heard a knocked, the door creak open and he saw Jaebum peeking. He motion Jaebum to come in.

“I brought this for your mom.” Jaebum handed him the basket with fruits. “Where’s Mark?”

“She’s sleeping but thanks Jaebum. Mark went out to buy something.” Jinyoung answered.

Jaebum hummed.

“Let’s talk outside.” Jinyoung suggested.

Jinyoung and Jaebum went outside and they sat on the bench outside his mother’s ward.

“Mark told me everything yesterday, how is she?”  Jaebum asked.

“She’s not fine. Her illness is getting worst and another heart attack is expected to happen.”

“What are you planning to do now?”

“I don’t know Jaebum.” Jinyoung sigh. “She needs a heart transplant and I want her to have it but it can cost a big amount of money. Mark even decided to postpone our wedding and used the money for the operation. Jackson and Bambam also lent us money but it’s still not enough.”

Jaebum held Jinyoung’s hand. “Jinyoung, why can’t you just accept the job to LA?”

“Jaebum I already rejected that offer.” Jinyoung said as he pulled his hand.

But Jaebum won’t give up that easily. “But Jinyoung, it’s the only way. I will lend you to complete the amount that you need for the operation. If you’re going to accept the job in LA, you can pay me back, also Jackson and Bambam. You can buy the medicines that your mom needs after the operation. They offer a good salary, just think about it Jinyoung.”

 

 

It’s been a week since Mrs. Park underwent a heart transplant, the operation was successful and she just need to stay in the hospital for some weeks to recover.

Jinyoung rejected Jaebum’s offer but when he saw his mom clutching her chest, he knows that his mom need the operation as soon as possible so he called Jaebum right away and accept the offer but he kept it from Mark. He’s flight is getting near and he really need to tell the older about his decision.

 

Today, he’s going to tell Mark everything. He was in the living room, thinking on how to start the conversation with the older when a finger snapped in front of his face. He looked up to see Mark smiling at him.

“You’re spacing out. What are you thinking?” Mark asked as he sat beside the younger.

“Can I talk to you?” Jinyoung murmurs.

Mark nodded his head. “Of course, what is it?”

Jinyoung gulps, he looked at Mark and he held the elder’s hand. “Mark…”

“Hmmm?”

“I-I’m sorry.”

Mark frowned. “Why are you apologizing?”

“Mark… I just want you to know that, that I’m doing this not just for myself but I’m doing this because of mom, because of you and because of us.”

“Jinyoung, I don’t understand you.” Mark was confused right now.

 

Jinyoung takes a deep breath. “Mark, I’m going to LA.”