Chapter 9

Eternal Sleep

 

Story Nine

She was there, in her silent room. She stopped cry since a few days ago, the day when that incident happened. The day when everyone in her college said that’s Ya Lun has passed away. The last day she attended the college.

There was no tears fell on her cheeks anymore. And there was no action that she did. She just sat on her bed, stared blankly. She couldn’t eat, she refused to eat. She didn’t want to talk to anyone, even to her parents. She couldn’t sleep, and she didn’t want to. Because when she closed her eyes, the figure that Ya Lun lied emotionless on the hospital bed always flashes in her mind.

Her parents felt worry about her, because she became weaker and weaker everyday. They scared she would be like this forever. They knew that Ya Lun is very important person for her. They knew each other for years, always together and love each other to the death. But, what can they do if Ya Lun has passed away? They couldn’t reanimate someone who was dead already. They just can put their hope to Wang Zi. They hoped he could bring her out from her sadness.

After the day when Ya Lun died, Wang Zi always visited her regularly. He felt his heart broke when he saw the hopeless Gui Gui in mess. He approached her, tried to talk to her, but she just ignored him. She was like in her own world, waited for Ya Lun.

Wang Zi tried to understand this. He knew Gui Gui loves Ya Lun so deeply. He just could watched her sadly when he visited her the next day and saw her in the same position, sat down on her bed and stared at nothing, refused to sleep, talk, eat, and even drink.

The sixth day, Wang Zi visited her, he couldn’t take it anymore. He sat beside her on her bed, and Gui Gui just ignored his presence like he wasn’t there.

“Gui, look at me!” he forced her to face him. Gui Gui just let him, she didn’t have power anymore. She just let him and stared blankly at him.

“Gui, you can’t be like this! You’re a strong girl. Why you must become like this? Why you can’t face the fact that Ya Lun will never show up again?” he said, but Gui Gui didn’t react. He didn’t give up.

“I know you’re in deep love with him. But you must let him go. He left and…it doesn’t mean that your life is over too. Time still move, you must continue your life although without him…”

Gui Gui looked at him, not like before when her eyes just like died, there’s something in her eyes. Sorrow and painful.

“My life is him, since twelve years ago, since the first time I met him. If there’s no him, my life is over,” Gui Gui said, then turned her face, turned to a ‘statue’ again.

“No! That’s not true! Why your life must him?” Wang Zi forced her to face him again. “Your life is yourself. You can without him. You just don’t want to try!”

“You get the point. I don’t want to.”

Wang Zi stunned. That’s hurts, heard her cold voice said like that. But he couldn’t give up, for her, he will never give up.

“What must I do to make you want to?” he asked. “Tell me what I must do. Gui…you always consider that there’s only him. In these past years, you just looked at him. But you can’t do it anymore.”

Gui Gui didn’t answer. Wang Zi continued.

“Do you know…it still will be okay without him. You still have me. I’ll here, by your side. Even everyone left you, I still in my place, beside you. I…” he paused, tried to hold back his confession. “I’m your best friend. I can’t see you like this. Where is my best friend who always smiles? Always cheers and bring happiness to people around her.”

Gui Gui is just silent. She understood, but she just didn’t want to accept all of these, that she couldn’t meet him again, because he had left her forever. She had her own reason, and she knew none can understand.

“I just forget…how to smile. Because he isn’t here, teach me how to smile,” suddenly Gui Gui broke the silence.

Wang Zi stared at her unbelievingly. He always knows she’s stubborn, but he didn’t know she can be stubborn until like this.

“The let me…to teach you how to smile,” he said weakly.

Gui Gui let out a bitter laugh.

“Just he can teach me. Because I don’t want to anyone teach me. Like I said before, I don’t want to.”

“But he left already…”

“Then I just can wait,” her voice was firm. “I and he promised we’ll go to our eternal sleep together. He’ll never break his promise” she said and then whispered, “He’ll never leave me.”

Gui Gui back to her world again. Ignored Wang Zi’s presence.
Wang Zi felt his blood boiled inside his body. He was angry, more than it, he was mad.

“Gui! You can’t be like this!” he raised his voice. “He is dead. Ya Lun is dead. He left you already! There will no Yan Ya Lun anymore in your life. He died!”

Wang Zi’s words just like destroyed her heart which broke already, made her ‘woke up’ from her world.

“No…I don’t believe this! Ya Lun is still alive! He doesn’t die!” Gui Gui screamed out.

“He has passed away! Why can’t you just accept this fact? Just move on, Gui! Forget him! You must move on!” Wang Zi shouted angrily.

Gui Gui covered her ears and shook her head, “No! He doesn’t die! He is still alive!”

Heard shouted, her parents rushed into her room.

“What happened?” her Mom asked, looked at her daughter who was shaking her head.

“She denies it! She doesn’t want to accept that Ya Lun has passed away,” Wang Zi said, stared at her sadly, yet painfully.

“I think you better to leave,” her Dad said. “She can’t meet everyone now. If you stay, you’re the one who will get hurts.”

Wang Zi just nodded; he even couldn’t take his eyes from Gui Gui as he stepped away.

Her Mom approached her, sat down next to her.

“Dear…” she called, but just like Wang Zi, Gui Gui ignored her.

“Dear…stop to be like this…you refused sleep, talk and eat. You refused to go to school anymore. What should I do when I see you suffer like this?” tears rolled down on her cheeks. Gui Gui felt the tears fell on her hand. She looked to her Mom.

“Mom…” she said. Her Mom surprised when saw she reacted.

“Mom…don’t cry…” she wiped her Mom’s tears with her thumb.

“I’ll back to school,” her words made her parents shock.

Because her parents didn’t answer, she continued.

“But I don’t want to school at Taipei University anymore. I want to transfer…”