Chapter 35

Eternal Sleep

 

Story Thirty Five

You will forget everything that you’re not supposed to know, even if you don’t want to forget it. It will disappear a little by little, the memory of him.

It isn’t that God is cruel, but it’s just a must.

………………………………………………………………………………………………

The sky was already dark. The night breeze pierced the spine. That was really a cold night, but Gui Gui, whose her brain was like won’t be able to work anymore, still walked slowly on the silent street.

She was lost. Everything seemed so blur on her vision. She couldn’t think straight. It was scarier than the death. They disappeared. And there was no trail of them which proved that they ever did exist in this world.

After such a long moment, Gui Gui stood in front of her house. She reached out her hand, wanting to open the gate. But, she pulled back. If she came back, closed her eyes and ended that day, she was afraid that she wouldn’t be able to remember everything tomorrow.

Out of the blue, someone turned her around.

“Where did you go, Gui?”

Hearing Wang Zi’s concern voice made Gui Gui got her consciousness a bit. She looked at him with teary eyes as he held her hands tightly.

“Gui Gui? Are you okay?” Wang Zi asked worriedly.

“Wang Zi…” Gui Gui called him, heard so hoarse because she hadn’t talked for hours.

“Gui Gui? What’s wrong? Tell me,” Wang Zi’s voice was so gentle, made Gui Gui felt secure a bit.

“Wang Zi…I’ve looked for them…but I can’t find them…they disappear…and there’s nothing left, Wang Zi…there’s nothing!” Gui Gui sobbed.

“They? Who?” Wang Zi held her face, asked her to look at him.

“Who?” Gui Gui whispered, asked herself. She looked through Wang Zi’s eyes, tried hard to remember.

Who? Who were they? Who? Who were she looked for?

She racked her brain, tried to remember a small memories about them. But she found nothing. She was really lost now. Nothing was left.

Gui Gui felt on her knees. She broke into cry as Wang Zi just could look at her in confusion. He couldn’t find a way to comfort her. It was the first time in his life he couldn’t think any ways to make her feel better.

It was over now. It was really over.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Four years later, Gui Gui’s point of view…

I looked at my reflection on the mirror. Perfect. I smiled to myself. This was the first day of work. I got a job on a radio station. I couldn’t remember since when I became this interest on broadcasting. I even changed my department four years ago in my college.

I glanced to my watch. Hmm, I thought I better got going now.

I took the last glance on the mirror before went downstairs. No one was home since my parents were on holiday at my grandpa’s house. They wanted to bring me, but I couldn’t let this job fly away.

After I locked my house, I walked to the bus stop. It wasn’t that far. I was used riding bus now. In the past, I usually walked together with Wang Zi since our college wasn’t that far from our house. Sometimes he brought me with his new car. But just sometimes, because not long after that he met Ya Tou and then they were dating.

Hey! It reminded me. I hadn’t got the dress for their wedding next week. I thought I must go shopping after work. Maybe I must also visit them. They seemed so busy this day.

I kept thinking as I crossed the street. Once again, all of sudden, I felt something was missing in my life. Something important, something was forgotten. What was it? I hit my head several times. Ssshh, it was so confusing. I remembered I forget something, but I couldn’t remember what it was.

Out of the blue, I felt a strong pull from nowhere. Due the shock, I shut my eyes tightly. I heard a loud bang as I tightened my eyes. After awhile, I didn’t hear anything anymore. Instead, I felt something on my body and I could felt a breath. I immediately opened my eyes.

The first thing I saw was those brown warm eyes of ‘him’. In a sec, the world was like stopped moving. The voice couldn’t be heard, except the heartbeat of mine.

Suddenly, he got up. He offered me a hand, and like a dumb, I ignored his hand and quickly stood up.

He was really handsome. He was kind of tall cool guy, with that handsome face. He had those beautiful eyes, with long eyelashes, a sharp nose, a pair of kissable lips. The sun shined his smooth hair.

Why? Why was this face so familiar to me?

“Ehem,” he cleared his throat.

I got my consciousness back. Oh God, did I just stare at him for a long time? I was so embarrassed!

“Are you okay, Miss?”

God, why was his voice like a music on my ears?

I shook my head. Stupid Wu Ying Jie! Don’t think stupid think like that!

I felt a pat on my head. I lifted up my head and he was smiling at me. His smile was so warm, and made me safe. Once again, I felt the familiarity of this feeling. Gosh, what was wrong with me?

“Don’t amuse if you still want to live,” he said before he left.

And I still stood there like an idiot.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Wu Ying Jie! How can you come late on the first day?”

Okay, I knew I would get this. But Mrs. Chen didn’t have to yell at me on the first step I took to enter the office, right?

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Chen. I really didn’t mean to,” I apologized.

She sighed. “I know you didn’t mean to, Wu Ying Jie. But I don’t have any choices. Our boss doesn’t tolerate it and you must see him now if you don’t want to get fired.”

“Understand, Mrs. Chen!” I smiled to her and then headed to the Director’s office.

I hadn’t met with the boss, but I heard from the others that he was kind of handsome guy, but he was to boastful to himself, sometimes can be very kind, but arrogant at the same time. I just couldn’t understand how could be a person like him.

I took a really deep breath before I knocked the door.

“Come in,” I heard a voice from inside.

I opened the door slowly, walked inside before closed the door. It was a big room with a work table in front of the window. In the corner, there was a couch with the table for the guest. But what became my attention now was a person who sat on the chair behind the work table. His back was facing me so that I couldn’t see his face. Who was really my boss?

Suddenly, that chair was spun around and at that moment, I almost dropped my jaw.

Was I dreaming?

I rubbed my eyes. But he was still there. I shook my head, tried to clear my mind, but he was still there.

He chuckled. “So, it’s you? Miss Wu Ying Jie, our new employee…”

I tried to say something, but nothing was heard. I heard a chuckle again.

He stood up from his seat and took a few steps towards me. He lent on his work table and smiled to me.

“Wow. Good thing you come here safely. I bet you didn’t amuse anymore after that incident?” he raised his right eyebrow.

“I…” I stopped. What should I say now?

“Hey! I just remember. You haven’t thanked me for saving you,” he lent forward to me and I quickly took a step back. He chuckled again.

I bowed deeply. “Thank you very much for saving me this morning. And I’m sorry for coming late!”

His hands reached my shoulders and forced me to stand straight. “Accepted,” he said.

I sighed in relief. It wasn’t funny if I got fired on the first day of work, right?

“Well, welcome to our radio station, Miss Wu. My name is—”

“Aaron Yan Ya Lun?”

Both of us had our eyes widened. I quickly covered my mouth in embarrassment.

What did I just say?

“I’m sorry. I just…it just slipped out from my mouth. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry,” I bowed to him for several times.

I hit my head a few times. Stupid. Why did I say that? I even didn’t know why I called ‘Aaron Yan Ya Lun’ on the first place.

I stopped when he grabbed my wrists. I looked up at him as our eyes met. That familiar feeling came again. It was just like I knew him for a long time.

He finally let go of my hands and lent back on the table. “Well, you’re actually right. My name is Yan Ya Lun. And my English name is Aaron Yan.”

I looked at him unbelievingly as he moved forward. His face was just a few centimeters away from mine, made me hardly breathing.

“Nice to meet you, Gui Gui. I hope we will get along well,” he whispered.

“Gui Gui?” I whispered back. “How can you know…”

“Maybe…” he stopped, planted a really gentle kiss on my lips, which made my eyes widened, and then continued, “I finally wake up after a long time.”

He straightened his body and shot me a warm smile.

I didn’t really understand what he meant, but I believed it was a start, a start for something new on my life.

(Eternal Sleep: The End)