Thirty Nine

The Mission (Got7 & BAP)

I woke up on the couch and almost fell off with the weird change of scenery. The last memory I had was drifting off to sleep, watching the camera over the old man’s noodle shop with Tuan making his 3rd cup of coffee.

My eyes went to look around for Tuan, but I shook my head. We have to stop doing that. Not him.

“Good morning, sunshine. How was your sleep? I know mine was fine before I woke up to 2 laughing maniacs. Coffee?” I smiled sheepishly before taking the cup and a sip. My eyes lit up with the sweet taste. The ratio was perfect.

“Who made us coffee?” Youngjae plopped down next to me and the TV.

“Tuan made you coffee. The rest of us had to slave away making our own because he claimed we were awake.” Goddamn it. Not him. Stop thinking about it MeeYon.

“What time is it? I probably have to change soon.” Youngjae shook his head and showed me his watch. 9:56.

“We start planning at 10. There’s no field work today or tomorrow. Well, that’s what the agenda says. Things usually never go by plan, however.”

“I slept for almost 6 hours.” It was mumbled under my breath, but Youngjae heard it and turned to face me.

“Really? If I recall that’s the longest you’ve ever slept in a while. Did you have any dreams? Nightmares?” I shook my head. For once I had –

“No dreams…” Youngjae blinked and had no comments. He just put his coffee cup down and went somewhere, muttering something. I was again left alone, but now with 2 cups of coffee.

“Alright, everyone. Table now. Bring evidence and anything you think we need. It’s time to plan.”

The table order was a bad mix, but I wasn’t going to sit next to or across from Tuan. I was on his right in the middle of Taec and Jinyoung, looking at Youngjae who would give me concerned glances and had his purple physiatry notebook out over his gathered evidence. The tension between Taec and I didn’t go unnoticed and I felt Tuan glancing over at us as well. Jinyoung and Khun were partially oblivious and arguing about banana or strawberry milk.

“So, what’s the plan?” Taec probably wanted to get out of that chair and go back to staring at nothing. I guess it was better than confronting his want for me to fail.

“We have to lure him somewhere without him thinking it’s us. He’s a trained spy, so we have to play our cards right.” Jinyoung slapped a map down in the middle of the table and pointed at the big red X.

“This is our allotted place, an abandoned warehouse. It’s only 500 feet away from the train station, so it shouldn’t be hard.”

“We have to put him in a publicly compromising situation. Something, that if he didn’t react, it would draw warning signals to him. Pick-pocket him and run. Make it obvious, like when he’s in a queue buying a ticket. Then he’s obliged to run to get his stuff back. We could also do an obvious signal. In the North, the way your shoelaces are tied could mean something. They’re used for dead-drops. I could tie the person’s shoes and then Junhong will see them and follow.” I looked at Youngjae so he could gage the room’s reaction to my plan. He nodded, so that had to mean everyone else agreed.

“What if he doesn’t have anything to pickpocket? Again, he’s a highly trained spy.” Taec leaned on his hand and seemed proud to have challenged me.

“If he gets ran into, he’ll turn to look at who did it. Then, he’ll see the shoes. We’re trained to look at all the possible signals. Shoelaces are a big one.” He shrugged and looked back up at Tuan. I looked down.

After last night, I was afraid of what I would feel when I looked at Tuan. If I pushed it back, hopefully, I’d start to feel nothing. It had to be because I was tired and nostalgic. It was a rough day and that was the only quiet I got. It had to be that. Not him.

“If anyone else has a better plan, speak up now. If not, we’ll start.” There was a moment of silence and no one challenged the plan.

“Okay. Pickpocket is a go. Now, we have to pick who’s going to be the first one up.”

After an hour of arguing about who had better pickpocket skills, who was actually trained in operations, and who was the fastest runner, it was between Khun and Youngjae. Eventually, we picked Youngjae, because he was never apart of the office. If Junhong or his partner where monitoring Tuan, they would monitor the people around him. That included Khun.

I was to be stationed on the second floor of the warehouse, waiting for my signal to come down and talk to Junhong. Taecyeon had been adamant about me being and “if needed” person. He wanted me to stay put until they had Junhong subdued and ready to take back to Seoul. The word subdued also set me and him off into an argument about what they were going to do to Junhong and how they would have to answer to me if he’s hurt. Taecyeon and Jinyoung were then put to monitor Youngjae’s back and see if anyone else was following Junhong and him.

Khun and Tuan were on the first floor of the warehouse, waiting for Junhong to come in after Youngjae. They would get Junhong to not try to kill them and call me in after that to talk. The goal was to get Junhong to come willingly with my influence.

“What are we going to do about the other person? DaeHui?”

“That’s Taec and Jinyoung’s job. If you see someone following, they’re going to try to subdue them and take them with.” Over this hour, I also took a slight glance at Tuan, gauging my reaction. It took a while, but I was able to glance at him when he was talking to me. I didn’t feel anything then. Good. It wasn’t what I thought. It couldn’t be what I thought. There was no feeling in my stomach when I looked at him now. Good.

“Me-HyeIn.” I looked up again, finally being confident in the situation I was in. He was just another face. Nothing special. 

“Sorry, just thinking. What was it?”

“Your phone.” He pointed on the table where the buzzing I just heard was coming from. The fake phone Tuan gave me was ringing. Again. The fake phone is ringing.

“Should I answer it?” It was more of a plead of ‘what the hell is going on?’ than anything. If it was Jackson or anyone else not in this mission, it was a risk.

“Just, um… Go into the other room and if it’s anyone else, tell them that you can’t talk. You’re with Yugyeom or something.” I nodded and quickly picked up the phone, not missing the panicked look in Tuan’s eye. He was never in a panic.

As soon as I closed the door to my room, I answered the phone. It’s Jackson. It can’t be anyone else. Who has this number? There were no numbers but Tuan’s real phone.

“Right now, check if anyone is listening. Close the windows and if you can lock the door. We have someone looking at you.” I squinted, looking out the window. I couldn’t see anyone, but I went right to close and lock every opening. Whose voice was this? Why were they ordering me? I was in a panic. My increasing heartbeat played loud in my ears.

“Who are you?” I tried to hide the waver in my voice. If my prediction was correct, it had to be someone from the North. That means Junhong was near them.

“Someone who could kill you with one flip of a trigger. That dress looks really pretty on you, but didn’t you wear that yesterday to the café.” Vaguely familiar and they did have an eye on me.

. I needed to act calm. If they can see me sweat, it’s the end. My mind went into overload.

“You’re using some voice mask? Something so I don't know who you really are. That has to be it.” I could hear them smirk through the phone and laugh a tiny bit.

“Corporal Ri’s skills are still intact. The South hasn’t ruined you yet.” It was so familiar, but it wasn’t Junhong. I would know if I was talking to my brother.

My stomach dropped when it went to the worst scenario.

“Why did your hand start shaking? Who do you think I am?” The speech pattern was too basic for e to confirm anything, but I sat down on the bed, hoping I wouldn’t give out in any sort of flashback.

When you start to feel light-headed or when things seem like they’re melting together, you need to breathe. That is step one. Ground yourself and breathe.’

-Doctor CHOI

“What do you want?”

“It’s more of what you want to do, sweetheart.” I took another breath. It couldn’t be one of them unless they were masking their speech. Too many things go against it; however, my hands were still shaking.

“Explain.”

“Huh, why would I when I can have my friend do it for me?” There was some cracking and sounds of wind. A rooftop, that was obvious, but one that wasn’t blocked. It was wide open. So why couldn’t I see this person? And if there are multiple people…

“Unnie?! Unnie, help please! It’s YuRa! Kim YuRa! They took me! I was so scared that this would happen and-and I don’t know how they found how help me,” She started sobbing and I stood up, my hands stopping their shaking and gripping the phone hard, “P-please! U-unnie.” The sobbing got harder and I was looking out the window again. Why couldn’t I see them?!

“YuRa, you have to listen to me. Are you hurt anywhere? Did they do anything to you?”

“N-no, I’m just s-so…I’m so scared, Unnie. I knew they were with the mafia.” There was another laugh in the background, but it was masked as well.

“YuRa, can you tell me where you are right now? Something that could give me a marker?”

“There’s a-“A scream cut through the phone and I put my hand against the window, hitting it hard. I had no regard for the people in the other room.

“Now, now, Yon-ah. That’s just too easy. You know what we want. The tracker on this phone will stay on. Come alone or she dies. Junhong would love to rack up his kill list. When you come, I hope you can deal with him and not break down like you did yesterday. Quite disappointing. You might even have to kill him, because I know he’s waiting to put a bullet through you. Who’s the better sibling?”

“Not if I put a bullet through your skull and take him back.”

“Take him back. That’s honestly so funny that you think you’re capable of that. He doesn’t love you anymore, you’ve got to know that. You leave him alone in the North to go some NIS agent? Sounds like a deadbeat sister to me.” I clenched my jaw, trying to not let him get to me. I had no idea who this person was, but he’s trying to get me to act out. Do something rash so it’s easy to kill me.

“Give me a time and I’ll make sure to prove you wrong.” This time the laugh was longer, and I tried to remember it. It was replaying in my mind. I knew that laugh. I had to know that laugh.

‘If you feel yourself start to float away in a memory, talk. Talk about anything in the present. Call out items in the room around you. Do something to distract your mind.’

 -Doctor CHOI

“I need a time, so I can do what I promised. I never break my promises.”

“Well, I’m glad Corporal Ri hasn’t lost her spark. 3 hours. Come alone or I might even put a bullet through the little Ri’s brain. He’s been rowdy lately.” I clenched my fist and hit it against the window again.

“3 hours. Starting when I hang up.”

“Callll,” He exclaimed in a sing-song voice. I closed my eyes and pressed end.

“Siri, set a timer for 3 hours.” I collected myself and quickly looked for that one pair of leggings the communications intern packed me. I didn’t care if I had an onlooker either. I wasn’t going to bust my knees taking out this .

“Who was it?” It seemed like their meeting was done and Taec and Khun were talking by the TVs. I looked up at Tuan, this time with no hesitation. I had no time to deal with whatever was going on.

“YuRa said the boys have some more things to show us. We have to hurry, or they said we’d have to buy them dinner.” Tuan nodded and grabbed his phone. I also took note of where his gun was. The idea formulating in my mind was crazy, and it could get me killed, but if I could knock Tuan’s gun out of his back holster…He needed to listen to me and I also needed to make sure they weren’t going to see me taking Tuan with. If I had a gun to his head, maybe they’ll think I’m trying to ward him off.

I opened the door and waited against the wall to the right of the door. When Tuan walked out and shut it, I could use the opportunity. He’d be exposed. I slip my right hand to grip the gun that hadn’t left my back.

“We’ll have to drive this time to make up for lost time.” He walked out and reached for the door. 3..2.. I closed my eyes and said a silent sorry.

“Hands up and don’t move. You know it’s loaded.” He didn’t even look back, but put his hands up, enough so I could see his gun under his jacket. I grabbed it, still having the end of my barrel on the back of his head.

“What the do you think you’re doing?” He hadn’t spoken to me in that tone for a while and to be honest, I felt it, but that as way less important than the task at hand.

“Say nothing and walk to the vacant room two floors down. Know that I have a gun behind you and am not afraid to use it.”

“The first time I give you a gun willingly and this is what you do with it? You better have a ing amazing explanation MeeYon.” . Even when I have a gun to his head, the way he says my name. I shook my head and pushed the barrel into the small of his back.

“Just ing go.” He still didn’t look back but walked down the stairs. From Taecyeon’s camera, it looked normal. We were just walking down the stairs. The second-floor vacancy had no cameras near it.

Tuan twisted the handle and went in, leaving the door open for me. I closed it behind me, putting my gun up. I knew he was going to try to turn and disarm me. I kept my distance and he noticed, not turning around.

“So, are you going to tell me why the sudden mutiny?” His voice still had a twinge of hurt and anger in it. I wonder what types of plans or scenarios were running through his head.

“How do you track a phone number on this phone?” He sighed and turned around, putting his arms down. Now, he just looked annoyed.

“It was that. I knew it had to be her, because I didn’t give that number to anyone else. What plot did they wrap you up in? Hand me the phone to check if they’re listening, okay?” I shook my head.

“No. I know they aren’t. I just need you to help me and then let me do this on my own.” He took a step forward and I cocked the gun.

“If you’re going to shoot me then do it. It would be easier to do what you want. Here, I’ll even tell you how to track the phone number. There’s an app. Password is 9493. Just put he phone number in and it will give you a location. Now, you can shoot me. Come on. Bang bang bang. There are 3 bullets in there. Just do it, MeeYon. I know you’ve wanted to for so long.” I closed my eyes and didn’t realize how much my hand was shaking. I didn’t need this right now. Not those ing eyes. Or that face.

“Stop doing that!” He took another step forward and I took off the safety, but he just kept coming.

“Stop walking towards me!” He eyes were still soft. All of that anger had dissipated. It’s like he knew he was using that against me.

“Put the gun down. You would have shot me already. We can do this together.” I shook my head and closed my eyes. I knew I wasn’t going to shoot him, but the comfort of a gun was something I missed. I could shoot him.

“He said he’d kill both of them if I didn’t come alone. I can’t lose him again. Not when he’s so close. Not because of you. Not again.” He took the gun from my hands and they instantly dropped. My body put up no fight and neither did my mind.

“He said he’d kill them. I can’t let that happen. Not again.”

“MeeYon. Do you trust me?” I looked up at him. Not this . He can’t pull this out in when I’m in such an emotionally confused state. I wanted my brother. I wanted to end it. I wanted to kill whoever stopped me. I wanted him to just stop confusing me and just let me leave.

“Yes. I trust you.”

“We’re going to get him back. Tonight. We can do it, just the two of us. If it’s two on two, we’re even. If you trust me, then you know we can get Junhong back.”

“No! You don’t understand! They’ll kill them!”

“You need to calm down. They want you to get this rash, this wild. They want to find a way to be above you. To win. You can’t let them win. We have to go out there and get Junhong and YuRa. Do. You. Trust. Me?”

This could be the reason Junhong dies. Me trusting this ing man whose stare is making me so desperately want to say yes. He looks like he can help. Like he will help. But do I say yes? And then Tuan Yi-En will be the reason I lose Junhong again.

Then without Tuan, I’ll have no idea where to go. What to do. I’ll have no backup. If they kill me, I’m laying there for days. Junhong isn’t back, YuRa isn’t back. And then what if they try to take me back to the North? I can’t go back. Never again. I’ll be killed within me crossing the border. Or worse. They’ll take me back to Alpha. With Tuan, I have someone to have my back. To know how much I don’t want to go back to the North.

“! Fine. How do we get them back?”

“Can you give me my gun back? I’ll give you back yours if you promise not to shoot me with it.”  I took his gun out and we traded with a little hesitation. When no one shot the other, we both put them back.

“We go in there, guns blazing, and we get back your brother. You have to be confident in yourself and you have to be calm. If you get yourself worked up, you might disassociate. You have to go in first and give off the illusion, then we’ll have a signal that you can call me in at. Then, you’ll take Junhong and I’ll get any other that’s there. One we have them subdued, we can take Junhong and YuRa and go.”

“What if it doesn’t work?” Tuan shook his head.

“No. It’s going to work, and we’ll be back in Seoul by, latest, tomorrow morning. Do you trust me?” Why is he asking that? He needs to stop asking that.

“Yes, stop asking that.” He smiled at me before breaking his real phone on the floor and picking up the SD card. He then broke both of our earpieces.

“Good, because now it’s literally just you and me.”

/////\\\\\

Hey guys! It’s me. Now that I’m done with my internship and it’s an easy school year, I can start posting regularly. Also, since the story is picking up, get ready for regular updates. I also want to hear more from you guys. What do you think will happen next? How do you want Mark x MeeYon to pan out? I want to hear some of your guys’ predictions and wants. Who knows, maybe if they’re really good, they might end up in the story?!?!?!