Thirty Seven

The Mission (Got7 & BAP)

April 3rd

As Jinyoung and Mark were talking over a map, showing Youngjae the places that would be the best for crow’s nests, I looked over the pictures of Junhong Taec had out. I have seen all of them before, but I couldn’t stop looking at them. These pictures were taken here. Junhong was living a double like here. Something just didn’t settle right with me about these pictures. The blurry face hovering in all of them. Not being able to see the emotions in Junhong’s eyes. Something wasn’t right.

Maybe it was the fact that he was on an unknown mission from the DPRK. The fact he was probably killing people right at this very moment. It sent a shiver down my spine. The fact he could kill anyone of us on this mission.

“HyeIn.” It was Khun and I forgot that my name was HyeIn for a good 2 minutes, so he was just standing there.

“Sorry, yeah?”

“Put this in. It’s the way we’re going to communicate with each other.” He handed me the ear piece and retreated back to the video screens that were now all up and ready. The pictures all looked the same. People. Cars. The only thing different was the front of the law office. I’d been staring at the one all night, waiting. Since it was only 4:30, Junhong hadn’t shown up on it once. Tuan tried to make me go to bed at 2:30 when he woke up, but I couldn’t. I couch was a reminder of where we were, and it had a great view of all the TVs.

“Do you know how to put this on?” I looked up at Tuan and gave him a confused look.

“I mean, I’m not that st-“

“Here let me help you, it’s kind of tricky.” He picked it up and twirled it in his hands.

“Kick me.” It was a whisper that only I could hear and I hesitated before he said it again and I felt the gun in my waistband.

“Ow! What was that for?!” He crouched over to rub his shin and in doing so, took out an identical ear piece from his pocket.

“I can put in on myself, thank you very much. I’m not three.” I snatched the new earpiece out of his hand and set it back on the table, faking my irritation. What’s the difference between that one and this one?

“I was trying to be nice, but I guess I should have known.” I rolled my eyes and picked up the water bottle on the table, taking a sip.

“Alright team, video is up!” Taec turned around in his chair, leaning back. That was the sign that we had the right of way to go.

“Youngjae will head out first with the guitar case and walk to the first position. Jinyoung, you’ll drive to the second one in your car. Khun, you’ll be walking around putting microphones and more intimate cameras up while Taec, you stay here and configure them, giving all of us an overall view. HyeIn and I will go out at 5:30 when all of you have confirmed your positions. Check in at 7:30 PM and then we’ll all pick straws to see which duo gets night duty tonight. We’ll all come back at 11:30 PM in the order of going out. Starting with Youngjae and working in 10-minute increments until HyeIn and I get back. Today’s agenda is to just monitor and get a feel of Lee Junhong’s moves. We have two days on monitoring, today and the 4th. The 5th  and 6th are for planning how we’re going to intercept the trip to Hongdae on the 7th. Does everyone know their roles and fake cover stories? Yes? Make sure to send SOS when you need it, and right away. It’s better to be protected in any situation them second guess yourself and get shot or kidnapped.”

“I’ll help monitor situations if needed. Cameras are set up where all of you are. Your earpieces have a button on them to send messages, other than that, you will only be able to hear others.” Taec turned back around and pressed a button.

Testing. Testing. 1. 2. 3.

The earpieces all went off and I quickly put mine in.

“The next one will be in your ear. If you can’t hear it, tell me.” Tuan locked eyes with me and Taec pressed the button again.

There was no message. Tuan did something. He keeps doing things.

“Okay, if that’s all, Youngjae, it’s your time.” Youngjae picked up the guitar case will all of his gear stuffed in it before starting to walk out the door. He stopped at me and put a hand on my shoulder.

“Good luck, Yeon-ah.” I smiled back at his and nodded. Once he walked out the door, Tuan sat in the chair next to mine, pulling out a smaller map.

“We’ll be here,” he pointed to a building labeled ‘café’,” and Junhong’s office is here, a block away.” His other hand pointed to the building 6 squares and a street away.

“Will we see him?” As soon as I asked that question, my heart started beating out of my chest. It was real now.

“Yes, but only when he walks back from work. Everyday he takes this path to go get food after he’s finished. It’s not at the same time, but always around 3:30 or 4. He eats for an hour, then at 6 he meets with the blurry face and walks back home by 7.” He picked up one of the pictures on Junhong’s back. His jacket off and his briefcase slung over his shoulder. His shoulders had gotten so broad, and he’s so tall…

“We’re sitting in a café for almost 9 hours waiting for him?”

“No, we’re going to walk to places he goes to eat to see if we can see anything, maybe get some breakfast at the place he eats dinner. Then we’re going to go to Dankook University to ask people about him and see what his public image is. He’s apparently a TA in the law department. I think it has something to do with the Professor of Law and is connection to the new President. Moon JaeIn was a human rights lawyer before he was president and they have a connection there. Do you also know about Operation Paul Bunyan?” I shook my head and Tuan reached over to grab another picture. This time Jinyoung started to walk out.

“Good luck everyone! Mark, HyeIn, I want noodles for dinner.” Tuan rolled his eyes at Jinyoung before smirking. For once in my life, the smirk didn’t give me an unsettled feeling of wanting to punch Tuan. I don’t know what it did, but it was quiet the opposite reaction.

“Only if HyeIn remembers.” Jinyong pointed to be and mouthed ‘Remember’ before walking out the door.

“Paul Bunyan…No, never. It might have been called something different in the North.”

“It was when two American’s tired cut down a tree in the DMZ and then 2 North Korean soldiers killed them with an axe. Three days after that Americans and South Koreans went and cut down the tree to intimidate the North. Ring a bell? It was in 1976.” He pulled out his phone and typed something in while I shook my head.

“No, I didn’t learn about that. If the North lost, then we probably didn’t learn it.” He laughed and turned to show me his phone. It was a picture of a tree.

“Does this tree mean anything to you?” I leaned in and acted like I was examining the picture. In all realness, I had no idea what the hell this tree was. Or what Operation Paul Bunyan had to do with anything.

“Wait, you know, it does look kind of familiar. In the North we don’t have lots of trees you know, because they die like everything else does, but this tree.” Tuan laughed again but this time louder. He should laugh more. Like this. An actual laugh. It was…cute…? It made him softer.

“Well, anyways. The shop we’re going to for breakfast has an ex-soldier in it. He got dishonorably discharged for selling drugs while he was in the forces. About a year after this whole operation. He was on it and apparently close friends with the president, also on it. Junhong visits this place and talks to the man for dinner. I don’t know why, but if I took a guess it’s because of the connection. His picture with the fuzzy face is taken here. We’re going to see if we can find anything out about the man and why Junhong goes there.” I picked up the picture with the eerily familiar blonde hair. Who is that next to Junhong? I shook my head, clearing that thought. Maybe it was a cover-up. A Yugyeom. Even though Yugyeom isn’t my cover-up anymore.

“It could be an alibi.” Tuan stopped shuffling his papers and looked at the picture I was holding.

“The blonde person?”

“That, or the reason he’s going to the old man’s shop every night for dinner. He has a friend, a constant location, a receipt, and these pictures. They’re all pieces of an alibi he can use. If anything happens after he comes here, he can give a solid timeline. And this old man, he’ll probably protect anything that Junhong said because he built that relationship. He probably has no kids, a deep hatred for any military or police force, and likes the young man who come sin every night, buys food, and gives him an extra tip. The blonde person could be a handler, or it could be a cover-up. When I first met Yugyeom, I had him as my cover-up. A friend who would fight for me.” Taec then turned in his chair, arms crossed.

“Mind telling us what your fake alibis where because I monitored you for all those years and could never crack any of them.” I laughed a bit, but there was something behind his words. The resentment was still there.

“Where’s the fun in that?” I gave him a slight smirk before turning back to the table and dropping my face. He should mind his business.

“Before we go you, should get changed. Today’s concept is cute couple.” I gave him a surprised face and looked down at my leggings. The only pair of pants that was stuffed into that stupid suitcase. They we all skirts and dresses. Nothing to cover my legs up. I planned to wear these leggings 24/7.

“Who’s the couple? You and Taecyeon?” He reached to put his arm around me, but I stood up before he could touch me.

“We are!” I shook my head.

“Today’s concept is the independent girl whose male assistant is following her.”

“You do have to change though; those pants have a hole in them.” He pointed down to my leg and I looked down, giving him time to pull my hoodie over my head and pull me own even farther.

“Go get on clothes and let’s go.” Every word was a tug until my neck felt like it was breaking off.

“And if I refuse?” I tried to pull his hands off of me.

“Kim HyeIn has to go home, Chief. I’m sorry, but she got sicko n the way here and she can’t-“ I can’t believe he’s threatening me… and I can’t believe it’s working.

“Fine!”

“I can’t believe I’m wearing this. The last skirt I’ve worn was my mmiltary uniform and even then it wasn’t this short. When I wasn’t a military operative, my school uniform was never this short! I have never worn a skirt – “

“- It’s your turn to go. Are you taking the car?” Tuan grabbed the backpack he had and handed me mine. I glared at him and followed him out of the door.

“Yeah!” He waited till I was out of the door before shutting it and turning back into harsh, quiet Tuan who pulled girls down stairs. His nails had to be leaving marks at this point because I almost tried twisting his wrist.

“What did you say you needed help studying? Physics?” A lady who was hunched over and had long black hair was walking by us. It had to seem like we weren’t on a mission to extract a North Korean spy. What was the concept? Cute couple?

“No, you said you needed help with physics. The test is coming up soon and you need to pass.” He seemed taken aback by my sudden Seoul accent and casual speech. I think his grip got a bit tighter too, but I smiled right back.

“Your backpack strap is slipping, let me put it back on.” We reached the bottom floor that had the most people. He took the just fine strap and pulled it the tightest it could be, yanking a piece of my hair. I almost turned to slap him, but I only stepped on his foot.

“Ow!” He let out a yell and some people turned to see what disturbed their early morning. I linked my arm through his and it was my turn to cut my nails into his skin.

“Come on, Oppa. We’ll be late!” He stopped moving and gave me a disgusted look, first at my face, then at my hands. He couldn’t pull out of it, but I could feel his want to. I pulled him more so we walked out of the main building into the sun. It was pleasantly cool and people were walking all along the streets, probably getting to their jobs. If I closed my eyes for a minute and listened, I would have sounded just like Pyongyang. That was the dangerous part about cities. It reminded me of home. Of my old home. Before everything was ripped away.

“Where’s your car?” He smirked again but didn’t take his arm out of my grasp… and maybe my grip got softer.

“We’re walking to the college and you’re going to act like a reporter asking about how they like their professors and TA’s.” He started walking, making my follow him since we were still attached. Should I take my hands out of the grip or should I wait till he does it? I mean, he’ll probably do it soon.

“To get peoples impressions of Junhong?” He nodded and hailed a taxi.

“Junhong goes to that old man’s restaurant for breakfast, so we’ll go there for lunch and then head to the café. Objections?

“Why do I have to be the reporter?” The taxi stopped, and Tuan opened the front seat and got in. That’s when he let go of my arm. It was just like when I took off the hoodie or when I was wearing Youngjae’s. It was cold again.

I got in when Tuan was giving the driver directions and turned to look in my backpack. Papers, the map, some pictures… and a loaded magazine. Huh. I quickly zipped it back up and set it next to me.

“Are you two students?” The cab driver had a heavy satori and I barley understood him. Thank god Tuan did and responded.

“Yeah, we’re both Seniors.”

“It’s such a nice day outside, why didn’t you walk?” The man pointed to the sun and I kind of agreed. We could have walked, but maybe we would have run into Junhong.

I honestly haven’t thought about that. What will happen when I see him? Will Tuan have to hold me back? Will I break down? Maybe I won’t feel anything. He might not even look like Junhong anymore. He might not act like him. What if he’s forgotten me? Doesn’t forgive me? Love me?

“My girlfriend has a foot injury, so we can’t. Otherwise it would have been a really nice day. The flowers are blooming early this year.”  Girlfriend. I stuttered for a second before looking down at my “injured foot”. I haven’t been called that since…

“How’d you hurt your foot?” The man looked back in the mirror to try to lock eyes with me. It made me uncomfortable, but it was a formality.

“I work at the library and I was taking reserved books downstairs to one of the professors and lost balance and fell. It’s just a sprained ankle, nothing much.” I smiled and looked back down at the floor.

“Well, I hope it gets better. You still have to walk to all your classes.”

“I’m an English major, so all my classes are near each other. It doesn’t hurt that much anymore.” He pulled over to a curb where people were walking into the school’s gates. I scanned the crowd… no one suspicious.

“Here we are.” Tuan handed the man some money before he opened the door for me. I got out and his arm went back to the position it was before the taxi. I flinched a bit, but he grabbed my backpack and put it on his other shoulder like nothing had happened.

“You lie really well. I guess it makes sense.” I rolled my eyes at him and tried to grab my backpack but he shyed away from me for once.

“Let go and give me my backpack.”

“No, we have to play the cute couple look. Especially when everyone is looking.” I noticed the eyes but didn’t care. They were only interested in the new people who’ve interrupted their daily routine of walking into campus.

“I don’t get why you taking my backpack is being cute, but I want it back.” It was his turn to roll his eyes before letting go and giving me the bag. Again, it was cold.

“Where are we going to ask students?”

“Well, by the way certain groups of people are looking at you, I think it will be easy to stop them.” I furrowed my brow and looked up. I guess they were looking, but what groups of people is he talking about?

“Okay, first, we have to make sure people know who we are. I have this camera and the mic.” He lifted something out of his bag and handed me one of those hand-helds.                         

“What am I talking about? I don’t have the vocabulary for this, especially if I’m talking in Seoul satori.” He shrugged and help up the camera to my face. This got even more people’s attention and they started to stop walking. Now it was getting noticeable.

“Just lie like you did in the taxi. Talking about teachers and TA’s. There was a scandal at Korea University about teachers taking bribes and favoritism. Play off of that. Now, take a few steps to your right so you’re in line with the university’s logo. Good.”

“Why are you actually filming this?” I looked around again. Why are they stopping? Aren’t they used to seeing reporters? They live an hour from Seoul!

“Are you ready, Reporter Kim?” I gave a distasteful look to him and shook my head. Not when everyone’s looking. It wouldn’t normally bother me, but here there could be people watching. People that would know who I am.

“We’re so out in the open! People could see us! Literally, why are we doing this Tuan?!” I was a whisper yell and he only smiled.

“You can do it. You look different with that outfit and your new hair. You actually look like someone who would be a reporter. Chic or something. Just start talking and don’t worry about the crowd. They’re just staring at your handsome camera man.” I took a deep break and tried not to laugh at that. I was not in the laughing mood.

“Alright, ready and action!” The red button and I took another deep breath. Time to bull my way into getting my brother.

“Here I am at another of our nation's universities, Dankook University. Here, we are going to ask students what they feel about their professors and professor’s assistants. Stemming from a recent controversy at Korea University, one of the top 3 schools in the nation, we wanted to see if the others who don’t claim that title have the same experience. Do Professors here also have favorites and received bribes from students just to get that one desirable grade or does this only happen at competitive universities where the pressure to succeed is much larger? Let’s ask students here and find out.” Tuan pressed the stop button and I let out a noise of relief. Speaking in Seoul satori and in South Korea takes it out of me. Competitive? Stemming? Controversy? How did I pull those words out of my ? 

“Now we have to go inside and ask students before calling out law student specifically.” He picked up his bag and walked towards the main gate. As soon as we started walking, everyone else that had stood to watch did too. It made my shoulders rise up having people watching my back. I hated it.

“I got your back, relax.” Tuan must have seen me seize up. He pointed me to a bench and had me sit down.

“If anyone tries anything behind you, I have the advantage, don’t worry. You’re also packing, so…” The last sentence was lower, and I rested my head in my hands.

“This will probably he most interaction I’ve had with anyone. I try to stick to myself and here I am, interviewing college students.”

“You’re getting practice. If you want to be an agent, you have to know how to socialize when you’re invited to benefits and award ceremonies. We go to a lot of those. Now, ask those students standing over there if they want to be interviewed.” He nodded his head to a group of students who were obviously staring and having no second thoughts.

“Why can’t you do it?”

“Who will North Korean’s recognize more? The person they’re trained to kill or someone who used to be in the military too who now has blonde hair and is wearing the shortest skirt they’ve ever worn?” I glared at him and stood up.

“I’m doing this all for my brother, know that. We’re dyeing your hair when we get back so it’s fair.” I walked over to the group of students and gave them my best smile.

“Hello.” “Hello.” “Hi.” “Hello, Unnie.” “Noona.”

“Do any of you have time to be interviewed? We can blur your face and change your voice, but we need your experiences. We’re asking about the recant scandal with professors at Korea University and seeing if other universities also have this problem. Are any of you willing? We’re specifically looking in law students because that’s what happened at Korea, but any of you are able to be interviewed.” One tall kid stepped up with red hair. It was very bright against his pale skin. He was going for that kpop look.

“I’m a law student.”

“Oh, great!” I clapped my hands together and inwardly threw-up, “The rest of you can come over as well.” They followed me the 50 feet to Tuan and sat down on the bench. The law student joined me.

“We’ll blur your face and change your voice, but we want you to speak truthfully about anything I ask you. Can you do that?”

“I couldn’t lie to a Noona like y-.”

“Just answer the question kid.” Tuan cut into the kid and glared at him before pressing record.

“Before I start asking you questions, do you know about the scandal that happened at Korea University?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good. I’m here to ask if you’ve seen any of this around your campus?” The kid leaned back a bit and I put the microphone closer to him.

“I haven’t seen it happen in any of my classes, but there is a hard math class all of us have to take Sophomore year. Apparently, this one kid was horrible at math and failing, but come the final, he’s passing with a 95 percent. Then, next semester, he dropped out. The rumors are that they caught him or someone turned him in and he got kicked out.”

“Is the professor still here?”

“Still here and worse than ever. No one likes him, and he only has a few favorites in his class. I wasn’t one of them.” Tuan moved his head a bit and that was my signal to move on.

“At Korea, there was also a scandal about a teaching assistant being paid in ual acts to grade these students softer than any others. Did you or can you see that happening on your campus?”

“There is one TA who everyone likes and is really good looking, but grades very harsh. Assistant Lee. When he first came to our school, there were rumors that he paid off Professor Im to get that job because he was so young. Then you start to realize how many girls in our class want to go to him for help instead of the Professor.”

“Does he meet any of them personally?”

“No, he doesn’t meet any of them, just refers them to Im. He does have one student he meets with though, but I think they’re friends or something. His name is Choi… Hyung what is it?”

“Choi DaeHui? I’m pretty sure it’s something like that. He’s a graduate student here, though. Chemistry.” A girl answered from our audience.

“Only person we’ve seen him hang out with after school. Sometimes they walk together somewhere… Some of us think it might be, you know, but all the girls refuse to believe it.”

“Is that the only thing that seems to be off about your TA?”

“Yeah, I mean, he keeps to himself a lot. We always seem him walk to where ever he works and lives, but no one other than Choi DaeHui would be with him. There was a few times he’s come into class looking injured, but he’s a criminal and political lawyer, one of the best. Sometimes questioning criminals gets you like that, but there was a video of him one kid got a hold of where some of those black tinted window cars came and someone got out and tried to swing at him. He’s good a fighting for some reason, but we think it’s because he went to the military early. Lee is just an interesting but quiet person who’s nothing but nice to anyone.”

 “Do any of you have any other things to say? Something to support this interview?” They shook their heads and Tuan almost turned off the camera.

“Actually, sometimes I see Assistant Lee outside of classes, on weekends and holidays. He went on leave for a week or two and when I saw him he just had a hoodie on. He ran into an old lady and he fell to the ground in pain. He had his hoodie up and, I don’t know it didn’t seem like the Assistant Lee we know. Like a gangster or something… and he even has a tattoo on his back, near his right shoulder. Choi DaeHui has a similar one in the same area. We think… well, some people who don’t like Assistant Lee and DaeHui Sunbae-nim think they’re in a gang and are trying to investigate them. They’re criminal justice majors, but some of their evidence is really solid.” I handed the microphone to Tuan and stood up. The girl who just spoke seemed very wary of what she said. Like someone was watching her. She’d seen something. Something more than Junhong getting knocked down.

“Do you know where we can find this group of people?” She nodded and looked at her watch.

“You guys go on ahead to class, I have the next 2 hours off. I can take you two to a few of the people who are investigating.” She had something to say. She wouldn’t just dismiss that whole group after saying something like that. I was afraid of what she had to say.

The rest of the group walked off and Tuan put the camera away in his bag along with the microphone. The girl stood there, waiting, looking around.

“What’s your name?” She hesitated.

“Kim YuRa.” She needed to feel safe is she was going to tell us anything. I hooked my arm with hers and started walking, Tuan following behind.

“Well YuRa, is there any place here that’s a bit loud? A smaller cafeteria maybe? Then you can call your friends over and tell us what you’ve been wanting to tell us.” She turned to look at me, eyes wide.

“How did you know?”

“I’m a reporter, I can see through people.”

“You’re not here to report on professors, aren’t you?” The scrawny kid looked me up and down and I tilted my head a bit. Four of them were sitting across from me and YuRa and Tuan had to buy them food to get them to talk.

The scrawny kid seemed to be the leader. He was tall and annoying and was the one who almost outed us as soon as he walked into the cafeteria. I wanted to hit him the most. The other 3 weren’t anything special either. One looked slightly overweight and was eyeing the food Tuan was ordering while I was trying to ask him a question. The only one that looked like he could do anything with criminal justice was the semi-buff one sitting right across from YuRa and wouldn’t stop playing a farming game on his phone. The last one was short, hadn’t talked, has a backpack that was half his size, and kept tapping his fingers on the table making me want to twist his wrist. These were the people with the trustworthy information…

“What do you mean by that?” I had to put on my happy reporter façade, but, oh, if one of them tried anything.

“You just don’t act like a reporter does. You aren’t, well… you just don’t have the elegant aura of a KBS reporter.” I nodded and took another breath. If Tuan didn’t get over here soon, scrawny one is gone.

“Well what does… my aura tell you I am?” I cross my arms and he squinted.

“You two both are too good looking to be reporters. I mean, you’re not the typical eye and nose surgery, long back hair report and he,” He pointed to Tuan who was finally walking back, balancing two trays of food, “He’s too good looking to be a camera man. It’s like I’m watching that one drama with Park ShinHye and Lee JongSuk, not actual reporters.” Tuan put the trays down on the table and sat down next to me. He pushed both of them in the middle of the table and the boys started eating right away.

“So, you four are investigation Lee…”

“Assistant Lee JunHyun, yes. Since he’s gotten here.” The semi-buff one stuffed his face with kimbap after he said that.

“And why did you start?” The all stopped and looked at YuRa who was staring down at her nail. So, this is what she didn’t want to say.

“The night I saw Assistant Lee was one of the first days he was here. We all thought he was a student at first, but then someone that young got introduced to us as a Teacher’s Assistant and works at the biggest law firm here? We didn’t believe it. So PyoKang,” She pointed to the scrawny one, “searched up about him. Where he went to school, his family, credentials. They all seemed fine until all his family members are dead and his credentials don’t line up. This was all on the night that I saw what I did. I was coming back from the library and I passed this bar. It’s a bar that older people tend to frequent, but one that is known to be run by not so good people. Assistant Lee came out of there, dragging another person with him. He had the hoodie on, but it was ripped…that’s how I saw the tattoo,” She tapped the place where the tattoo was, “I thought I was going crazy! That couldn’t be Assistant Lee, but then he threw that guy against the brick of the building and…” He hands started shaking and I feared the worst. He killed him, right in front of her. Part of me was mad. How could he be so careless? The other part of me told me not to think that. Not now.

“And he killed the man after he asked him for something?” Her eyes went wide again, and the group stopped eating again.

“Unnie, how… He, they, were talking about something and he handed Assistant Lee a small laptop. After that, he told the man that they had no use for him and that’s when Choi DaeHui walked out of the bar. He looked different too. His hairstyle, his clothing. Usually, when Choi is around Assistant Lee, he listens to him and acts like a Hoobae, but the Choi that walked out of the bar…”

“He seemed like he was the ring leader and he told Lee JunHyun what to do.” She nodded again and looked down, picking at her nails.

“How do you know all of this?” The overweight one was the first one to speak up and I glanced over at Tuan. I just outed ourselves, but they weren’t going to tell us anything.

“Look, this stays here and if it doesn’t I’ll arrest you for impeding an investigation.” Tuan slapped down a Seoul police badge before putting it back in his pocket. Why did I have fake badges?

“I knew it!” The scrawny one, PyoKang, whisper yelled and almost knocked over his drink.

“We’re investigating drug trade activity around here and Choi DaeHui is our main subject. Have any of you heard of the gang EXO?” They all nodded and leaned in to listen to Tuan, “We think Choi DaeHui is a branch for them. Sells drugs, illegal weapons, takes care of bad business, all of it. Now, I’m sorry, but you need to show us all your evidence, so we can take photos and send it to our HQ.”

“Wow, we’re actually part of an investigation! We were right guys!”

“Just send us the evidence please?” I cut into their celebration because I did not want to sit here for another 30 minutes listening to my aura.

“We can email it to you, it’s all on a flash drive.” Tuan handed a fake business card to scrawny boy and stood up, taking two kimbap pieces. I stood up as well, getting out of the seat.

“We may have one of our operatives come by and ask for more. He may also check if any of you are talking. I won’t hesitate to arrest any of you, especially because you cost me 50,000 won in food.” Tuan picked up my backpack again and walked out. I started, but YuRa grabbed my hand.

“Unnie, can you keep my name out of your report or anything? I… I’m still afraid. I don’t know if they saw me or not, but I had to run away because they heard something. If they know…” I smiled at her and nodded.

“If anything happens call that number. We’ll be there in 10 minutes max.” She nodded and let go of my hand. I caught up to Tuan and tried to yank my backpack out of his grasp.

“What did she ask you?”

“To keep her name out of things. She’s afraid that they’ll find her again.”

“Who do you think Choi DaeHui is?” We were on the main sidewalk, people still having the audacity to look blatantly. I don't know why it's bothering me so much today, but it kept making me look behind my shoulder. 

“His handler. The way YuRa described him, it makes sense. Someone overseeing and making sure he’s doing what needs to be done. It makes sense that he’d have one now.”

“Makes sense? We’re walking this way, it’s the way to our second stop.” He pulled my arm, so I was closer to him with the oncoming crowd.

“I didn’t have a handler up until I was working at the NIS as a cover. I was a bit wild during those months at Korea University. You usually get a handler if you made them upset or they think you need the extra help or guidance. So that means Junhong has made them mad or he’s done something where they think he needs a strong guidance to do is job correctly.”

“What did you do to make them mad?”

“Try to kill you.”