Chapter LXI

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

Sehun fixed his tie and dusted the lint off his coat. Kai was sitting at the divan, brows furrowed with worry.

“Why are you sulking?”

Kai exhaled. “I’m just… I don’t want to hurt Sera. And Jungkook.”

“Just bear with it.” Sehun hummed and looked at the mirror. “We’ll catch her today.”

“How are you so sure it’s her, Sehun? I mean aside from the fact that she has the motive, we don’t have concrete evidence.”

“I just know.” Sehun replied curtly.

“How?” Kai pressed, standing up.

Sehun exhaled and faced his friend. “Not all bad people need a motive. Sometimes, they just enjoy seeing others suffer.”

 

 

“You went through my stuff!” Sekyung gripped Haena’s wrist and dragged her to the living room. Haena grunted as Sekyung’s grip tightened. “L-Let me go, Sekyung!”

“How dare you. You have Junghyun already, so why are you ruining my life? I’ve respected you—“

“Let her go, Noona.”

Sekyung froze in her place. She let go of Haena’s hand and slowly turned to meet Jungkook’s cold glare. “Enough.”

“J-Jungkook.”

“Is this what this is all about? Because Haena noona got together with hyung and not you? Because your father died instead of Sera’s?”

“J-Jungkook, it’s not like that.” Sekyung stuttered. “I did—“

“I don’t want to hear your lies.” Jungkook replied.

“No, Jungkook. Listen to me. It’s not like that.” She helplessly looked at Haena who was already crying. “I’m not jealous of her!”

Haena closed her eyes and the tears started to stream down her face.

“Haena Noona, please go. Hyung is waiting for you outside.”

Haena obliged and left the room in a hurry, holding her red wrist. Jungkook’s eyes never left Sekyung. “I’m not sure of who you are anymore, Noona. I don’t know what you’re capable of.”

“Kook.. I really—“

“I won’t expose you.”

“W-what?” Sekyung croaked, her vision getting blurry with tears.

“I’m giving you the chance to come forward with all your mistakes. Apologize. Then pay the price.” He said before leaving the room.

 

 

“Where is he?” Sera muttered as she rubbed her hands on her bare arms. She was wearing a sleeveless gown, and it was getting cold waiting outside the hall.

“Hey there kiddo.”

“O-Oppas!” Sera couldn’t help but smile as the rest of the boys appeared before her. “We wouldn’t let out baby girl be alone at a party, won’t we?” Jimin lightly hugged her, to which she chuckled.

She pulled away, looking around. “Where’s Jeon?”

“He’s going to be a little late, so we’ll keep you company, okay?”

She puffed her cheeks and nodded. “He’s not… mad, right?”

“Why would he be mad?” Jin asked as they walked inside.

“Well… I was a to him yesterday.”

Yoongi snickered. “You’re always a , Sera.”

“Hey!” She protested, to which Taehyung raised his hands up. “Okay, okay. No one is a . Let’s enjoy the party, okay?”

“I see the buffet table. Let’s go.” Hoseok giddily danced.

 

Jungkook heard Sekyung’s car leave the estate. He fought back the tears that threatened to fall a while ago as he confronted her.

He was her sister. It pained him to talk to her like that.

“Young Master, your car is ready.” The butler handed him the keys and he nodded. “Thank You, Ahjussi. I’ll be leaving in a few.”

He went to the bathroom to wash his face, looking at his reflection.

“I need to protect Sera. She’s my world.” He mumbled.

He was about to leave when he noticed something odd on the trashcan. It was like a crumpled piece of paper that was protruding. He carefully fished it out and unwrapped its contents.

Underneath was the familiar orange container of pills. His brows knitted together as he struggled to read the small words.

Antipsychotic Medication. Two tablets daily.

His eyes widened as he read the name it was prescribed for. Jungkook stood there for a moment before everything processed in his mind. He went out dashing for the door and soon after, his car was careening out of the estate.

 

 

Sehun nodded at his secretary. “Good. Make sure they receive it before the party ends, okay?”

“Yes, Young Master.”

Sehun smiled at the guests who were crowding the vast room. He went to the podium and said his part of the speech, thanking everyone for their time and presence.

He soon after scanned the room, relieved to see everyone he needed. Sera was eating and laughing with the boys, Haena and Junghyun were chatting with some businessmen, Kai was at the corner watching Sera, and Sekyung was at the far end corner of the room looking at him.

His brows furrowed.

“I… I need to talk to you.” Sekyung fibbed as Sehun descended the podium. He led her to a corner and raised one brow. “What is it, Sekyung-sshi?”

It was evident that she had been crying. He could see traces of tears on her cheeks, and the slight redness on her eyes.

“Sera believes you. I need you to tell her that I’m not who she thinks she is.”

“And how do I know that you’re not lying?” Sehun crossed his arms.

She exhaled. “I just need one person to believe me, and everything will fall into place.”

“What will? Sera and Jungkook apart?”

Sekyung looked at him, speechless.

Sehun took the opportunity to press harder. “Why do you want them apart, Sekyung? Why do you not want Sera to be associated with the Jeons? What are you so afraid of, and what exactly do you know that we don't?”

“You don’t know anything.” She breathlessly replied before walking away.

 

 

“Sera please, can I talk to you?”

“Jongin this is not the time to talk about—“

Please.” He pleaded.

Sera sighed and looked at the boys. “Oppas, I’ll just be with Jongin for a moment.”

He led her to the garden outside the hall. Sera tapped her foot impatiently as Kai paced back and forth, looking around him.

“If this is about what you told me that night…”

“Sera, I’m so sorry.” He said, pain painted on his face. He felt his phone vibrate and took it out distractedly.

I’m watching you.

He exhaled and placed his phone back in his pocket. “I just want to protect you.”

“Jongin. Please. You’re my friend, but you’re being unreasonable. We talked about this. Jeon is not harming me, so why do you need to protect me?”

Kai shook his head. “No, not from him.”

“What?”

Kai took her shoulders and pulled her close.

“J-Jongin—“

“I’m sorry.” He whispered before crashing his lips on hers.

 

 

“S-Sera!” Jungkook panted as he stepped outside the garden. His eyes went wide as a mix of emotions went through his head and heart at the same time.

Sera pushed Kai away from her and looked at Jungkook. Her lips were trembling just as her hands were. “J-Jeon… It’s not what you think.”

“I… Wh…” Jungkook’s lips parted, but no coherent words could escape his lips. He managed to look back at Sera’s brown orbs. “Sera I…”

“We caught her.” Kai breathed out.

Sehun stepped out of one of the pillars. Kai looked at the sliding doors and stared at Sekyung who was looking at them. She was standing there, fists clenched, looking directly at Sera and Kai. Her expression was unreadable, but in her hand was a paper. Sehun recognized it immediately.

It was the same paper that made him realize who the real culprit was.

“S-Sehun-ah, we finally caught her.” Kai said once more.

Jungkook realized what was happening. He pulled Sera close to him and protectively encircled his arms on her. Sera looked around, confused.

Sehun exhaled and met Jungkook’s glance. He saw the orange container in his hand.

 

“Yes, we finally did.”

He whispered, looking at the balcony overlooking the garden. A pair of eyes looked back at him.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

 I'm baaaaack