Chapter XXVII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Well I’ve been thinking. I think I really want to get married soon.”

Kai shut his eyes as he let the loud music and the alcohol numb his senses. He clenched his fists as the heat from the alcohol stung his throat. Despite that, he still poured himself another glass and downed its contents in seconds.

Girls were obviously leering at him, trying to get him to invite them to his seat. But he didn’t care at all. He didn’t want them, he wanted somebody else.

The ticking in his head turned to a light thudding, but he still went on. Alcohol was his only best friend when it came to his heart.

“Stop it, you’ve had enough.” He heard a curse as the glass was taken from his hand. He tried to clear his eyesight and looked up at the intruder. “Mwoya?” He mumbled as he was effortlessly lifted up from his seat and escorted out of the bar.

He managed to struggle free. “What the fu—“

“Will you just ing get in the car, Kim Jongin?”

Kai stared at Sehun who was glaring at him, arms crossed. He looked pissed, angry even, but Kai didn’t flinch. Being Sehun’s best friend made him immune to his cold man approach.

“Why… you’re supposed to be..”

“When will you get yourself together?” He muttered and pulled his arm. Kai tore his arm away in protest and leaned on the hood of the car. He pinched the bridge of his nose, the thudding in his head now turned to pounding.

Was he imagining people now?

“I’m really here, if that’s what you’re thinking.” Sehun said flatly, observing the drunk mess he had become. Kai opened his eyes and stared at his friend, barely managing to stand still as he walked to him. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming home?”

“I didn’t know that I had to.”

They stayed there in the parking lot for some time, before Kai finally rubbed his face with his palms, shaking his head to get rid of the alcohol buzz. “I’m in deep , Hun.”

“I know.” He simply replied.

Kai sighed and massaged his temples. “I was with Sera a while ago, and I barely managed to get by. Everything is just so ed up. Why can’t it go on the way I want it to be?”

Sehun glanced at his friend. He knew Kai was a spoiled son of a , but he was his friend, and deep inside the façade Kai tried to show everyone, he was just a lost kid. No one knew him better than Sehun. He knew everything; even why he was trying to be someone he’s truly not.

“You should go home.”

Kai shook his head and let out a frustrated cry. “I want her, Sehun-ah. I really do.”

Sehun tugged on his arm and helped him on the passenger seat. Before Kai could enter, he turned and faced his friend. “You really don’t understand, do you?!”

“Jongin, please contain yourself.” He said calmly, but Kai grunted, his previously unfocused eyes intently staring back at him. “I want Sera,” He whispered, but when Sehun was just looking at him with his emotionless face, he sighed and pushed him away.

 “You don’t understand, Sehun-ah.” He chuckled bitterly. He took a step closer to Sehun and let each word carefully escape his lips. “I ing love Park Sera.”

 

 

 

Jungkook shot his brother a questioning look when the latter kept kicking his foot underneath the table. They were eating breakfast with their parents and there he was, being childish.

“You came home late last night, Jungkook. Where were you?” Mr. Jeon asked as he ate his omelet. Jungkook took a sip of water before responding. “Oh, I picked up Sera from a friend’s. She wasn’t feeling well so I stayed for a while at her house to make sure she’s okay.”

Mrs. Jeon couldn’t hide her happy smile. “You should really bring her something warm today. I can ask the maids to pack porridge for you!”

“It’s okay, Mom. Knowing her, she prefers to sleep-in all day.”

“You and Sera got pretty close real quick, huh?” Junghyun in, a sly grin plastered on his face. Jungkook shot him a warning look, but he ignored it. “Don’t try to deny it bro, I know you have late night chats with her. I can hear you talking to her on the phone.”

“She’s a good friend.” Jungkook simply stated, and Junghyun shook his head. “Are you sure, little brother? If you ask me, that is certain—“

“Could you please pass me the salt, Hyun?” Sekyung muttered in an instant, and Junghyun was obliged to stop talking and pass her the salt. The topic changed to company works, and upcoming events.

Mr. Jeon took a sip of his coffee. “So Sekyung, how about the project in Ilsan?”

“It’s all been handled well, Abbeoji.”

Mr. Jeon nodded in satisfaction. Junghyun cleared his throat and smiled at his family, placing his utensils down and clasping his hands together. “So, I guess you’re all wondering why I suddenly showed up here?”

Mrs. Jeon rolled her eyes. “Just tell us, adeul-ah. Don’t beat around the bush.”

“Well,” He exhaled, glancing at Sekyung who just responded with a meek nod. “Do you remember Sekyung’s friend from Shanghai? The daughter of Song Enterprises?”

“The lawyer, Song Haena?” Jungkook asked and Junghyun nodded vigorously. “Yes, the lawyer.”

“Haena and Sekyung were inseparable as little kids!” Mrs. Jeon gushed. “Where is she, is she busy? Aigo, I miss that girl.”

Sekyung forced a smile and hid her clenched fists under the table.

“Anyway,” Junghyun went on. “I… I’ve been seeing her for almost a year now.”

Mrs. Jeon started bombarding him with motherly questions. Mr. Jeon was just listening as his wife did the talking. Jungkook looked at Sekyung who was just silently eating.

A year ago? He thought. That was when Sekyung noona and Hyung reportedly broke up.

“And I asked her hand for marriage.” Jungkook looked up as his eyes widened. Junghyun grinned proudly at his parents. “She said yes!”

“I’m so happy! It all wouldn’t happen without Kyungie here!” He gushed and pulled Sekyung closer, ruffling her hair. Little did he know, there was a lot more to her forced smile.

 

 

Flashback

 

“Oh, Haena-yah!” Sekyung grinned as her tall friend jumped in front of her. They embraced each other for a while before looping their arms and prancing out the university.

Haena suddenly stopped walking and held her friend’s shoulders. “Ya!” She tilted her head and touched the necklace on Sekyung’s neck. Her eyes widened at the diamond embedded on the silver pendant, her lips parting in amusement. “Daebak, is this new?”

Sekyung just smiled sheepishly, biting her lower lip. She tried avoiding her friend’s inquiring gaze, but Haena knew her too well for that. She grinned widely and socked her shoulder. “Wow, this is from him again?”

“Well…” Sekyung giggled, and turned away. “Let’s go, I’m hungry!”

Haena looped her arm back on Sekyung’s and poked her cheek as they walked. “You’re really lucky. And, you both know each other so well, what a match!”

“Ah, stop it! No one knows except for you and Kookie!” Sekyung muttered, blood rushing to her cheeks. Haena just smiled and dragged her to the nearby restaurant. “You’re so funny being all shy, Kyungie! But whatever, I’m your number one fan, okay?”

Sekyung rolled her eyes, but nevertheless gave her friend a brief but sincere hug.

 

End of Flashback

 

Junghyun sneaked into the balcony with a sly grin plastered on his face. He saw Sekyung there, leaning on the edge, staring at the estate’s vast view. He relaxed and decided to just join her there without making any unnecessary jokes.

She looked too at peace for that, he thought.

“Hey,” He stepped out and smiled at her. “Are you okay?”

She returned the smiled and nodded, her eyes returning to the view. “Of course, when was I not?”

Junghyun sat on the bench set up there and shrugged. “I never know what you’re thinking, Kyungie. You’re so good at your emotions.”

Her lip twitched at that. She took a deep breath and sat beside him. “I’m not hiding anything, really. I was just enjoying the view.”

“You should get some rest.” He frowned and brushed the strands of hair on her face. She looked away and closed her eyes, as she leaned on her seat. “Why does everyone always say that?” She muttered.

Junghyun sighed; she was stubborn and helpless. “Because it’s true. You’re overworking yourself. You used to be really outgoing, Kyungie. I miss that side of you.”

“That was before.” She replied instantly, fighting the urge to glare at him.

Before everything changed, and my life crumbled, she thought. “Things change. I love working.”

“Okay, I won’t protest to that.” He chuckled. They stayed there wordlessly, enjoying the cool wind, when Junghyun spoke again. “Anyway, Haena wanted me to give you this.”

He handed her a light blue envelope with her initials neatly written on the surface. He gave her one last smile and left, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

She reluctantly opened it, sliding out the elegant paper inside.

I miss you. You’ll be my maid of honor, right?

She unconsciously crumpled it, hot tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

 

Jungkook bit his lip as little creases formed on his forehead. He was finishing the last parts of the paperwork assigned to him.

He signed the last page and grinned to himself. He let out a satisfied chuckle and tapped his shoulder.

“Good job, Jeon.” He mimicked her voice, and suddenly jolted up in his seat as he realized what he did.

Damn I have to get my mind straight. He squeezed his eyes shut but the same face appeared. Releasing a helpless sigh, he got his phone and dialed her number.

“Hey.”

“Hmwhat?” She groggily replied.

Jungkook spun his chair and rested his feet on the table. “Did you sleep in the office again?”

“Yeah. Are you working?”

He smiled a little. “Just finished everything for today.  Up for some burgers?”

“Pick me up in ten. See you.”

He bit his lip as the call ended. The struggle inside him intensified. He needed answers, he needed clarity.

But he also needed to be with the cause.

 

 

“What the is this? I told you to be careful!”

The door burst open and Namjoon stormed inside, throwing stacks of newspapers on the coffee table. Sera looked up, a little dumbfounded. Her brows furrowed as she picked up one.

“What are you…” She trailed off, her eyes doubling in size at the pictures on the front page. Her breathing hitched as she looked up to meet her cousin’s eyes. “H-how… how…” She mumbled, returning her attention to the newspapers, looking all of it one by one with shaking hands. Some were of her standing on table tops, downing bottles, dancing, being wild, surrounded by people of the same state she was in. “This was long ago! I didn’t know these even existed!”

“That doesn’t matter.” Namjoon replied, pinching the bridge of his nose. “This is too much attention. Bad attention. We can’t let—“

He was cut off when she abruptly stood up, one of the newspapers crumpled on her hand. She closed her eyes briefly to compose herself, her body evidently shaking. When she opened her eyes, she was composed.

“Someone’s behind this.” She seethed, and Namjoon sighed. He knew too well she was under too much shock and pain right now, but she was hiding it all under her façade.

“Sera, I already contacted the media outlets, okay? I’m trying to find ways. As of now, keep a low profile, don’t make any more news.”

She smirked, a biter chuckle following. “My whole life is news already. I’m not afraid of what this ty world of corporate politics can do. I can handle it.”

He wanted to tell her that it was okay to be scared, that it was okay to be the teenager that she was. But he knew she wouldn’t give in to that, so he just stepped closer and enveloped her in his arms. He felt Sera hug him back, her breathing turning from stable to unstable in a second. “Don’t worry too much, ara?”

He felt her nod, and somehow that was enough.

“Young Miss, the Grand Ma—“

The door burst open again, but now Mr. Park trudged inside, a frown on his face. Sera pulled away from her cousin and exhaled, facing her Dad. His lips were set into a thin line, his eyes firmly boring into hers.

Mrs. Park stood behind, looking at her daughter with a worried expression.

“I won’t ask you to explain.” He started. “But I will oblige you to fix this.”

Sera nodded firmly.

Mr. Park turned to leave, but Sera held his arm. “Abbeoji, I’m sorry.”

He was unresponsive for a few moments before he turned around and shrugged her hand away. “I was happy that you came home, already ready to help with the company. You know how big this merged project is, but somehow you manage to mess it up with your wild past? You’ve always been a disappointment.” He snickered, and she stepped back, biting her lip. “I… I didn’t know who took those—“

“That doesn’t matter, Sera. What matters is how you handle this situation. You’ve done enough damage by showing off how much of an irresponsible girl you are. Do something.”

When the adults left, Namjoon held her shoulder and squeezed it lightly.

“Do you want me to bring you somewhere? Home?”

She shook her head and turned away to face the glass walls. “I’m fine. I just want to be alone, Oppa, if that’s okay with you.”

Namjoon nodded and hesitantly left, leaving her alone with the silence and her thoughts.

 

 

Jungkook rushed out of the car and pressed the button several times. When the elevator finally opened, he stepped inside and tapped his foot impatiently. As soon as he reached the top floor, he rushed out and proceeded to her office.

“Sera? I heard about…” He muttered really quickly, but when he saw the newspapers on the coffee table, he trailed off.

He saw her chair turned back from him facing the view from the glass walls, her head resting leaning on it. He reluctantly approached her, only to find her eyes closed, little creases on her forehead as she slightly frowned.

He bent his knees, leveling his face to hers. When he brushed away the hair on her face, her eyes fluttered open.

“J-jeon? You’re here.” She managed to say, sitting straight. He frowned when he saw her lips quiver as she spoke. While not known to others, it was evident for him that she was trying to be composed.

He was aware of that even if others couldn’t see.

Maybe before, when they were still just high school kids who didn’t know they would be arranged, he wouldn’t be able to read her. She was just so cold and uninterested and different.

But now, he knew that there was more behind that unaffected front.

“So,” she stood up, crossing her arms and looking at the view. “You heard?”

He nodded, even if she couldn’t see. He heard her chuckle a little. “Funny that pictures of me three years ago could be spread all throughout South Korea in seconds. How bizarre.”

“Sera.”

“I know I had a childish and irresponsible past. If that’s what it takes to be able to live up to people’s expectations, then fine. If I have to show everything about me, then I’d do it. After all, that’s what they want. That’s what they need. They need to see me weak, but I won’t let that ing happen.”

“Sera.”

“I knew that being the Park’s only daughter carried heavy responsibilities. Fine. If they’re so doubtful if I can really manage a company then—

She felt his arms wrap around her from behind. She tried to struggle free, but he was strong. Finally, she turned around and faced him.

Jungkook stared at her as she tried to look away. “It’s okay to be scared, Sera.”

She looked up to meet his eyes, and finally tears started pooling on hers, until they started lining her cheeks and her whole body started shaking. She buried her face in his chest, her quiet sobs muffled by his tight embrace.

“It’s okay to cry.” He whispered, and she wept even more.

The strong and willful Park Sera had limits, but no one could know that. She didn’t trust anyone that much to let them know that.

Except for one.

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

so a peek of what's coming

and a little of Sekyung

and Kai

and Sekook

- i like that couple name, thanks to the reader who commented that ;>

 

sorry it took me long, i had a tough week in school damn

anyway bye