Chapter XII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

“Jungkook! I’m… surprised to see you here so early.” Mr. Park scratched his head as he slipped his coffee. Jungkook rubbed his eyes sleepily and bowed. “I’m sorry, Mr. Park. We were having a movie marathon last night and we didn’t notice the time. Jang offered me the guest room. My driver wouldn’t pick up his phone and Jang insisted—“

“Come here, young man.” Mr. Park chuckled and waved him to come closer. He motioned for him to sit as the maids served him a cup of hot chocolate. “Take a sip, that’s Sera’s favorite.”

Jungkook did and smiled as the sweetness spread through his mouth. “It’s really good.”

“How’s school?” Mr. Park asked, and Jungkook politely smiled. “Everything’s good, Mr. Pa—“

“Stop calling me Mr. Park. Call me Abbeonim.”

“Uh, well, yeah, everything’s good, abbeonim.” He stammered. Sera’s father smiled and tapped his shoulder as he stood up. “Take care of my little girl, will you? She’s a little reckless sometimes.”

“Ne, abbeonim.” With that the elder man left, a smile lingering on his lips.

Jang walked in with Sera trailing behind.

“I already called your household help, Young Master. They’re sending your car and your uniform here.”

“Bacons?” Sera mumbled as she took her seat groggily. Jang motioned for the maids to serve the food and as they did, Sera’s mood started to get better. “Jeon, what did Dad say to you?”

“That you are reckless and that I should take care of you.” He mumbled, eating his toast. Sera stopped chewing and protested. “I am not!”

He just shrugged and continued eating.

“I don’t need anyone taking care of me.” She spat out. “I’m not a child anymore.”

“What about Jang? He’s taking care of you.” Jungkook replied, and Jang suppressed his smile. Sera looked at Jang and shook her head. “No, Jang is like….”

“Shut it, Sera. Just eat.”

She grumbled and went back to eating, but underneath the table she kicked his leg hard.

“Ow!”

He looked up angrily, still writhing in pain. She stuck her tongue out and ignored him completely. Again, Jang was on the corner shaking his head. He wondered how the two could even manage to not kill each other sometimes.

 

 

Kai stepped out of his white Aston Martin and waved at Sera who was walking out the school gates with Jungkook.

“Hey cupcake. Hey Jeon.” Kai extended his fist towards him and Jungkook looked at it for a second before bumping his fist against it. “I’ll borrow her for a while, okay?”

Jungkook coolly nodded. She tapped his cheek goodbye and got in the car. He watched as it sped away and looked around.

It’s weird that he calls me Jeon…

“Now, where should I go?” He muttered.

 

 

Kai stopped the car on a hilltop. He reached out the back to get the basket he prepared. Sera looked around and frowned. “We’re in the middle of nowhere, Kai.”

“Exactly. Here,” He handed her the basket and she hesitantly took it. Her eyes sparkled at the sight of all her favorite American junk food stashed inside, together with the cream soda that she loved.

She grinned and poked his nose. “This is why we’re friends, Kkamjong.”

“I know you love me.” He winked teasingly and got out the car. Sera watched him for a while and bit her lip. This was harder than she thought would be.

They sat down the grassy hill. Sera had a blanket on her legs, her head leaning on her knees as she sat. Kai was lying down, propping his head up with one elbow. “How do you like Seoul?”

She chuckled and opened another bag of chips. “You make it sound like I never lived here before.”

“Well, it’s different now.” He muttered and she looked at him. He had his eyes closed, feeling the wind on his face. His lashes were long, like they always were, and his lips were pressed into a small contented smile. She loved seeing him like that, so serene and just… him.

But that’s the main reason she left. It couldn’t happen. She couldn’t feel that way.

I can’t risk losing this friendship.

“Why did you come home?”

Kai opened his eyes and smiled at her. Her heart did that skipping a beat thing she always heard about, and it made her hate herself even more.

“I missed you. I missed us.” He sat up and scooted closer to her. She could feel his weight lean a little on hers, and she closed her eyes briefly to take it all in. It was wrong, but it felt so… different.

“What?” She managed to snap, showing a little of her bratty self. He chuckled and leaned his head on his knees too. “I miss the three of us together. But you know, being with Sehun bores me to death sometimes. So I decided to come and pester you here.”

“Wow, such an .”

He nudged her rib playfully. “I know, that’s why we’re friends.”

“So how’s… Monique?” She asked, and he chuckled dryly. “It was just a fling. You know, hang out here and there. That ended months ago.”

“Really?” She asked, and she cleared after realizing her pitch went a little bit high unlike the usual. Was it happiness?

Kai leaned his head on her shoulder and hummed a yes. “You know, I’m a little annoyed at you, cupcake.”

“Then get your heavy head off my shoulder.”

He chortled and played with her hair. “You didn’t even call to tell us you got engaged.”

“It’s all arranged, Kai.”

“I know, but…” He trailed off, looking at the view. “I don’t know.”

She turned to face him and held his chin. “You’re acting really weird. What is wrong with my playboy friend?”

He managed a laugh and flicked her forehead. “I’m here, idiot.”

“Weirdo.” She mumbled as she rubbed her forehead. “Sometimes I wonder why I’m even friends with you.”

“Do you like that Jeon guy?” Kai blurted out, his head facing the view. She looked at him for a second before replying. “What, no. He’s a really good friend to me.”

“Okay.” He grinned and kissed her cheek. Sera froze on her spot and bit her lip. That happened often in the US. Kai was the skinship monster of a friend. It never bothered her before.

But now, what the hell.

“Can you take me home?”

He frowned at her. “But you promise we’d go to the arcade after!”

“I’m… tired, Kai. I have this company party I need to attend tomorrow and I just had a long day at school. I’ll… make it up to you.”

He nodded reluctantly and stood up, extending a hand to her. She took it and hit his chest playfully. “Come on, lighten up. The night is young. I heard about this new club in Gangnam. You should check it out.”

“But you’re not there, idiot.” He muttered as they got in the car. She just sighed. “I’m just really tired. What’s so hard to understand with that?”

He was a bit baffled with her snapping but he figured out maybe she was just really tired. He smiled and ruffled her hair. “Arraso, ma’am. I’ll get you home.”

She leaned on her seat and closed her eyes.

“Sera?”

“What?”

“How come you never call me Oppa?

She shot him a glare before turning to the passing view. He didn’t know what he was doing to her. And she hated herself for feeling that way.

 

 

“Hey.”

Namjoon snuck in under the sheets and poked her back.

“Go away, Oppa. I need to sleep.”

He recoiled a little with the tone of her voice. Of all the people in Sera’s life, he was the one who truly knew everything about her. And he was aware of that. He could read her like an open book, unlike others who found it so hard to do so. Even her parents.

And if her little cousin was in pain, he’d instantly know. Her strong and ill-tempered façade never got in his way.

“Sera, please. I know you’re crying.”

She didn’t respond, so he pulled the sheets away and forced her to face him. Even in the dark, he could see the tears lining her cheek. It pained him seeing her like that.

“I told you to never get hurt again.” He chided and pulled her into his arms. She snuggled in her cousin’s chest and quietly let the tears fall. “I never thought it’d hurt again.”

“I hate seeing you like this.”

She closed her eyes. “I just don’t want to lose him, Oppa. But it’s so hard to be so near him.”

“Can I ask you a favor?” He pulled away and tapped her head. She didn’t respond again so he just said what he wanted to say. “Don’t bottle everything in. I know you are who you are. You’re our strong little girl who has an ill-tempered attitude but I know you more than that. And sometimes, it’s good to let some of it show.”

She looked away. “I… want to sleep, Oppa.”

“I know.” He sighed. He knew she didn’t like hearing those things, but at least he tried. He kissed her forehead and pulled up the blankets to cover her body. “Sleep well, princess.”

She waited for him to leave and closed her eyes.

I’m Park ing Sera and nothing, no one, can make me weak. Power is my middle name.

She felt the tears coming so she bit her lip so hard her jaw clenched. Slumber took over with the taste of blood on her lips.

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________