Chapter XXII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Namjoon spun his chair around and popped his lips in boredom. Sera was sitting beside him, playing with a pen on her fingers.

“Why are they taking so long?” She groaned and reclined even more on her chair. Namjoon just shrugged and sighed; he was getting really tired of waiting too. It runs in the blood, he snickered inwardly.

The conference room’s door opened and Sekyung walked in. She gave Namjoon and Sera a tight smile before sitting down. Jungkook followed, his hair disheveled slightly and his tie crooked. He winked at Sera as he walked to the chair beside her.

“Hey sweetie.” He cooed teasingly, but she just ignored him and moved her chair away from him. Namjoon chuckled beside her and clucked his tongue. “You two got into a fight?”

Jungkook smiled crookedly. “No, she’s just on her period, I think.”

“I am not bleeding right now.” She shot him a look.

“But you’re always cranky on your period…” He mumbled, enjoying the fact that she was obviously getting worked up. And he was right.

She stared at him with cold eyes. “No , no right.”

Namjoon shook his head at their early bickering. “Kook-ah, what’s up with you? You look like a mess.”

He shrugged and unwrapped a lollipop that he got from his pocket. “You want?”

She sighed and rolled her chair closer to him. She fixed his hair, muttering curses under her breath. Jungkook just grinned like a little boy. “Can you fix my tie too?”

“Ugh, what did I do in my past life to deserve this?” She mumbled and proceeded to fix his tie.

Sekyung watched them from across the table, one brow threatening to rise.

“The elders won’t be joining you today, but the board will be arriving shortly.” A secretary came in and bowed as he handed them some files. Soon after, the directors one by one piled in the empty seats.

The meeting started with some slides presented on the screen, some questions raised, and some small discussions.

“Before we end, I’d like to open up the matter of the charity events. There are a number of these events that the company has promised to attend, but the biggest among all has been the adoption center for kids in Gwangju. The opening is tomorrow, but there has been no representative decided.”

“Surely, someone of high position must attend to show our sincerity.” One of the directors said. The others nodded in approval as they looked around.

Sera glanced at Namjoon and scrunched her nose. Of course she could deal with kids and all, but taking care of them was another issue. She could help in missions and feeding programs, but to personally deal with them, that was different.

Namjoon suppressed his grin.

“How about we send the Young Miss Park?” Sekyung suggested. All eyes turned to Sera, who couldn’t hide her flabbergasted expression. Namjoon wanted to laugh so hard.

“I…”

“I think it would be best of we send the Young Miss. She’s young and full of life, the perfect image for charity events.” One director smiled and met her eyes.

Sera faked a smile and nodded. “I’d love to.”

“I’ll come with her.” Jungkook said, catching everyone’s attention.

Sekyung cleared . “I think that won’t be necessary. Sera can prove to the public that she’s independent and—“

“But it’s best if I come with her. I love kids. And, we’re engaged, it’s only right that I accompany my soon to be wife.”

There was silence for some seconds before nods of approval surrounded the room. Sera glanced at Jungkook and he winked.

 

 

Sera was about to get in the car when Namjoon snatched her wrist and pulled her to his. She didn’t even protest; her cousin was just as demanding as her.

“You’re in real deep .” He chuckled as he started the engine. She could only sigh as she strapped the seatbelt on herself. “Good thing Jeon volunteered to go. That douche has some use.”

“It would be hell if you came alone. You, taking care of kids?” He burst in a loud guffaw.

She rolled her eyes and reclined on her seat. Yeah, if Jungkook remained silent she’d have to face the kids alone. And she wasn’t really good with that.

A smile tugged on her lips.

“Anyway, the boys are planning a beach trip. I think that’s the purpose of this lunch is to plan that.”

She just nodded. “Cool.”

He glanced at her for a moment, his brows knitting together. “Ya, what’s with that silly smile on your face?”

She turned to him and frowned. “What smile? Just drive Namjoon.”

“N-namjoon?” He scoffed. “You little .”

 

 

The clicking of heels was the only sound that dominated the hall. Sekyung clutched her purse tightly and took a deep breath.

She looked around her surroundings warily before opening the door.

“You’re early, Ma’am.”

She untangled the scarf around her neck and took a seat. “I want this done quickly. So?”

The man handed her a manila envelope. She looked at him for a moment. He gave her a reassuring nod and she opened it quickly. She browsed over the files, and a smile slowly tugged on her lips. “This is actually good.”

She shoved the pictures inside the envelope and stood up.

“I’ll contact you again. Here.” She gave him a thick envelope and quickly walked out.

 

 

Sera kicked off her heels and jumped to the bed. She ped her dress and wore her trusty sweats and oversized shirt.

She burped aloud, snickering to herself after. A meal with the boys was always equivalent to what a normal person could eat in a whole day. She had nothing against it; she loved eating. She exhaled heavily and closed her eyes, thinking of the events of her day. She didn’t know why, but she couldn’t help thinking about Sekyung. She was so reserved and cold to her that sometimes she thought the lady hated her.

Did she?

She shrugged off those thoughts and opened her laptop, dialing someone who could calm her nerves by just his mere face.

“My main biatch!” She waved as Sehun’s face appeared on the screen. He looked sleepy, like he was about to sleep or he just woke up. He nodded disinterestedly as she grinned at the sight of his face.

He placed the laptop on the counter as he rummaged his fridge. “Is there something wrong?”

“I just miss you, Sehunnie.” She sighed and watched him down the contents of a carton of milk. He wiped his lips with his shirt and faced her. “What’s wrong?”

She frowned. “I told you, I just miss you.”

“I know you, honey. You get all clingy when you’re bothered.” He rolled his eyes.

She chuckled dryly and bit her lip. “I don’t know, I think I’m just tired and all.”

“Is this about your engagement?”

She smiled a little. “Nothing’s wrong with my engagement, Hun. I’m not in some Korean drama where I hate my fiancé, and he makes my life a living hell.”

“That’s good to hear.” He actually smiled. The Oh Sehun smiled.

She lightened a bit seeing his smile. “Hun, come home already. I know Kai’s… not here as of the moment, but he still makes me feel all these weird things and it.. I don’t like this feeling. I just can’t…”

He closed his eyes briefly. He hated seeing her like this.

“Namjoon Oppa told me to open up, you know. And I got scared. You know I never really fully opened up to anyone except you. And you’re not here… so I didn’t know what to do.”

He just stared at her, letting her do all the talking.

“But Jungkook’s here, Hun. Even though I hate his guts, he’s all I got who truly gets me. But Kai… he’s everywhere. I don’t hate Kai, hell it’s far from that. But I just don’t know what to do anymore. What I want can’t happen. We can’t happen.”

Kai’s words rang on Sehun’s head. I want Park Sera.

“Sera.”

“Hmm?” She looked up, biting her lip.

“A lot of things may change. Just remember, before you make any decisions, think. Don’t be rash. Know what you really want, what you really feel.”

Her brows knitted together. “W-what do you mean? You’re being really…”

“Just… I need to go. I’ll call you. Take care, love you.”

With that the call got disconnected, and she was left pondering over his words.

 

 

Jang grinned as he watched the Jeon’s car pull up the curb. Lately he had been anticipating Jungkook’s arrival every day. The young man’s presence mitigated the damage of Sera’s attitude and perennial tantrums.

Kid is like a ray of sunshine, he once told the maids as Jungkook pranced inside, whistling to some song.

“Young Master!” He greeted as Jungkook stepped inside. He hurriedly got his coat and led him to Sera’s room. “Would you like anything to drink?”

“I’m good, Jang.” He shrugged. “Why are you so hyped today?” He stopped walking and looked at him suspiciously. Jang shook his head and straightened his posture. “I.. It’s nothing, Young Master. The weather is nice. I think it’s making me extra happy.”

Jungkook chuckled and tapped his back. “You should get out sometimes, Jang.”

“Jang!!!!” Sera’s voice echoed throughout the hall, making the two look at each other knowingly. Jang gave him a little bow and scampered to her quarters. Jungkook trailed behind, shaking his head.

But you have to take care of a brat.

“You done packing?”

Sera looked up from her laptop as her brows furrowed. “We have to… pack?”

He looked at her pointedly and she just shrugged. She was sprawled on the bed, lying on her tummy. She adjusted her eyeglasses as she typed, her lips jutted in concentration.

“What’s that?” He plopped beside her on the bed and poked her cheek.

She moved a little to give him some space. “Did I tell you that I write on my free time?”

He paused and looked at her closely. She was still focused on her typing, her fingers rapidly typing away. She scrunched her nose every now and then, a little frown on her face.

He couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight.

“What?” She snapped, glancing at him. He shook his head and ruffled her hair. She snickered in annoyance. “It’s just that you can do so many things.”

She just smirked and went back to typing. He watched her work, his head propped up by his elbow.

“I contribute articles to this lifestyle website. It’s refreshing.” She said as she pressed a button and shut her laptop close. She turned to him and raised a brow. “What? Are you falling in love with me?”

They both looked up when Jang laughed whole-heartedly. The old man stopped when he noticed the two were staring at him questioningly. He shook his head and bowed a little. “I’m just… it’s nothing. I’ll go.”

“I think Jang is acting weird today.” Jungkook cleared his throat and made himself even more comfortable on the bed by snuggling with one of her plushies. She stood up and walked across the room to fix her things. “What should I bring, Jeon?”

“Essentials?”

“But we’re not spending the night there, right?”

“I don’t think so.”

She nodded and grabbed a small bag from her closet. She threw anything she found necessary inside it, making him shake his head and wonder if she’s really a girl.

“Sera?” He called out.

She was about to enter the bathroom but she halted and turned to him. “Yup?”

“I’m not falling for you.”

She laughed a little and winked at him. “Not yet, Jeon.”

“Your arrogance is overwhelming.”

“You'll get used to it, sweetie.”

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________

Happy New Year to everybody!