Chapter XXXI

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

Sera stepped out of the black Jaguar and lazily trudged towards the school’s entrance. She was dead tired, unable to sleep the night before. To be honest, she preferred working at the office than school. At least with working, she could decide her own time. She could control her schedule.

“Heads-up!”

She looked up and barely caught a can of coffee flying towards her direction.

“I knew you’d catch it.” Jungkook winked and extended one hand to her.

She looked at it with one brow raised. “Jeon, I can walk. I’m not that vulnerable.”

“I know. But we’re soon-to-be husband and wife. Shouldn’t we be… lovey-dovey in front of all these students?” He poked her stomach, urging her to take his hand. Sera groaned and swat his arm away. “What did you eat this morning? You are very weird today. So… childish.”

He grinned even more and slung one arm around her shoulder as they walked. “That’s the point, we’re students again. We should be carefree.”

“I think you’re right.” She hummed, smiling a little herself.

They stepped inside the classroom and noticed the abrupt silence. Jungkook looked around and almost scoffed at the petty stares. Sera, on the other hand, couldn’t care less. She shrugged and strutted her way to her place at the back.

Jungkook was about to get back to talking with her when he heard some kids making kissing noises and looking at them nastily. His face hardned as his lips formed into a thin line.

“Just ignore them.” Sera shrugged and took out her books.

Jungkook wanted to do what he was told, but their nasty stares made him want to storm to their place.

 “I bet they’ve been getting some action during the break… if you know what I mean.”

“And sooner than we think, we’ll get news that she’s preggo.”

Jungkook pushed his chair back as he stood up. The room fell silent once more as heads turned to their direction.

“Jeon.” Sera sternly warned, but he ignored her and glared menacingly at the group of boys. They looked surprised from the way they tensed for a while, but eventually went back to their laid-back postures. “Hey Jungkook, what’s up with that look?” One guy called out.

“Care to tell us more about your semestral break? I bet it was fun.” One winked, and laughter ensued.

Jungkook smirked as he flexed his neck. “I believe it’s none of your business.”

One guy stood up and snickered. “Are you challenging us, Jeon Jungkook?”

“Do I even need to? You look like you’d break any second now.” Jungkook replied. A small crowd was already gathering around, and Sera was mentally cursing. She just wanted to leave with all the attention on them already.

“You son of a bit—“

“My god, can you please ing stop?” Sera finally stood up and stepped in between. She briefly closed her eyes and shook her head. She couldn't find the right words, so she settled with an english insult.

“Pathetic s.” She seethed, looking at the group. “If you think your nasty attitudes can get you somewhere, you’re wrong. Don’t bother us.”

“My, my. The Park dragon lady sure is tough, eh?” The group’s biggest guy stepped forward and looked down on her. Sera didn’t even flinch. Instead, Jungkook stepped forward and pushed her lightly behind him. “We’re clearly the decent and educated ones here, so we’ll let this go. But talk like that to us again and you’ll get it from me.”

He pulled Sera towards the door with him.

“I bet you need to get married cause you got her pregnant, didn’t you?!”

Jungkook stopped in his tracks and slowly faced the crowd. “What did you say?”

“Or maybe, this is all that arranged marriage cause it’s ing good for business, and you two ended up having no choice but to be each other’s toys. Wow.”

That did it. Jungkook lunged himself at the boy, baring his teeth in pure anger. He was about to punch his jaw, but Sera quickly pulled him back and wrapped her arms around his waist. He tried to let go but she tightened her grip.

“Jeon, stop. Let’s go.”

 

 

Sehun shook his head and held his friend’s hand. “Don’t do this, Jongin.”

“I’m just… going to get some drinks from the fridge, man. What’s up with you?”

He let go and nodded, diverting his attention back to the TV show he was watching. Kai watched him and let out a frustrated sigh. He turned off the TV with the remote and faced his friend.

“I don’t ing get it, Sehun. Why?” He almost seethed, his jaw clenching.

Sehun merely glanced at him and snickered. “What are you talking—“

“Why won’t you let me talk to Sera? Tell her I love her?”

Sehun stayed still for a moment before he stood up. “Do you, Jongin? Do you really love her?”

The vase fell as Kai let out his frustration. It fell into pieces, the sound against the marble floor echoing against the room. “You don’t think I’m capable of loving someone in that way? Well, surprise, I am human. And I do love her.”

“Enough to jeopardize your friendship?”

Kai turned silent. He stared at the glass shards, his fists balled and his brows furrowed. Sehun exhaled and shook his head.

“Think about that.” He said before leaving.

 

 

“What happened? Why are you guys ditching classes?” Namjoon asked worriedly from the driver seat. Sera shook her head as she made herself comfortable at the back. Jungkook sat beside her, his jaw clenched.

She sighed and tapped her cousin’s shoulder. “Just get us away, Oppa. Some kids are bothering us, but really, no big deal.”

That was when Jungkook finally spoke. “No big deal? Did you even hear what they were saying about us? About you?”

She stared at him, surprised at how angry he looked. It was the first time seeing him fuming. Some people would be breaking everything that got in their way, but Jungkook was the opposite. He was silent, but deadly. “Jeon… I…”

“I could’ve taught him a lesson there, Sera!”

“No, you would’ve broke his nose and still teach him nothing. Those kinds of people are s. Whatever good you drill into their head, they never learn. They just enjoy the challenge and the fight.”

“You’re wro—“

“She’s right, Jungkook. I’ll send you both at my unit. I still need to finish some paperwork at the office. Will you two be alright with that?”

“Yes. Thanks, Oppa.”

Jungkook just looked away and balled his fists.

 

 

A black Range Rover pulled over the hangar. A chartered plane was already parked, but the doors were still to be opened. Sekyung exhaled and was about to get out when Junghyun stopped her.

“Kyungie, let’s just wait till they open the doors.”

“Oh, okay.” She leaned back on her chair and stared at the massive plane. Junghyun bit his lip. As much as he was excited to see his fiancé, he was worried for the woman beside her. She was the closest thing he could have to a sister.

“I heard you found your parents?”

“What?” She squeaked, looking at him hesitantly. Junghyun took her hand an rubbed circles on it with his palm. “Kyungie, you’re family. I want you to know that I’m always be here for you. It must be hard knowing about your real parents, but we will always be by your side.”

She smiled a little and nodded. “I know.”

“So did you find anything?”

She exhaled and closed her eyes. “Just my father.”

“Is he—“

“He’s dead, Hyun. I don’t know how and when, all I know is that he’s not here anymore. I can’t meet him. I won’t have a real parent. It’s too late for me.” She quivered lightly, but her face was stoic. Junghyun pulled her into his arms and caressed her hair. “I’m so sorry…”

“Don’t be. I’ll be okay.” She muttered.

He waited for her to say something more. He waited for the tears to come but there was none. The plane door finally opened and a familiar figure stepped out.

Sekyung pulled away and smiled at him. “Come on, Haena’s waiting for us.”

 

 

“Jeon, their words meant nothing to me. I swear. Don’t get too worked up, please.”

Jungkook was standing by the glass walls. Sera was trying to tell him that everything was okay, but he remained standing there, unmoving, for almost ten minutes since they arrived.

She sighed and plopped on the couch. “Just please don’t let those s get to you.”

He finally turned to look at her. “Can’t you see, I’m not mad because of what they said to me. But to you— to include you in such dirty accusations— I won’t let them do that.”

They stared at each other for a while before she looked away, biting her lip. “Jeon, I told you… I don’t care.”

He exhaled heavily and turned around again to face the city’s view.

But I do, a lot.

“I understand. And thank you.” She mumbled as she stood by his side. He remained unmoving as he stared at the tall skyscrapers. Sera looked at his side profile, wishing he would somehow notice her, but he was still as a rock.

She didn’t know why, and how, and when, but she realized that Jungkook was always there for her. In every situation, it always ended with him cleaning after her mess and doing what was best for them both.

He was so noble and good, that she thought it was absurd that they were even friends. She never deserved someone to be that good to her. And to think of, they’re just arranged.

“Jeon.” She whispered, taking his hand. He flinched a little, but she intertwined their fingers and gave him a little encouraging squeeze. “I may not be that vocal to you, but I do appreciate you being there for me.”

“I… I don’t know how to say this, but…” She looked down and bit her lip. “I really really really appreciate it.”

He glanced at her and felt his heart pounding against his chest.

“I…”

Before he could say anything she stepped closer and wrapped her arms around him.

“Sera—“

She buried her face on his chest, and he exhaled, letting his own arms wrap around her. He leaned his head on hers, feeling her steady breathing. He wanted to let go, it was just complicating everything for him, but he couldn’t. It felt so right that he couldn’t.

“Thank you.” She mumbled.

He chuckled at that. “No, Sera. Thank you.” He whispered as he planted a gentle kiss on her forehead.

 

 

That night, Jungkook collapsed on his bed. He loosened his tie and threw his coat on the floor. He stared at the ceiling for a while, letting himself get lost in his own thoughts.

He tried to hear nothing— to indulge in the silence.

But even if he tried so hard, he still could hear his heart loudly beating against his chest. It was weird, at some point he thought he might’ve been sick. He realized soon enough that the same feeling always haunted him.

When she leans her head on his shoulder, when she buries her head on his chest, when she shakily clutches his shirt as she cries, when she merely touches him.

Just the thought of her made him feel weird.

Jungkook shook his head to get rid of those thoughts. If only he could enter an autopilot mode where he could think of nothing and just relax.

He tried to deny it at first. He tried to cling on to that thin string of possibility that he was just really sick. That there was really nothing more to it.

But he knew better now. He was far from sick. He was in deep trouble.

Never did he think that the roles he played and the things he were tasked to do would become real and existing.

He was unprepared for this. But he liked it.

He closed his eyes once more and her voice kept ringing on her head. He wasn’t stupid. He knew the reason why he couldn’t really go on with what he felt. It was so wrong.

The first time they opened up to each other was after her little outburst in Nami Island.Back then, he thought she was just undergoing through some pressure from her parents.

But no. As much as his feelings were overwhelming, he knew it simply couldn’t happen. She made it clear from the start that it couldn’t happen.

He could never forget her words.

“I’m in love with my best friend.”

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________