Chapter LX

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

Jungkook pushed the bowl of ramyun to her. Sera smiled and dug in immediately.

“How do you manage her appetite, Jang?”

Jang chuckled and handed Jungkook a glass of orange juice. “Her appetite varies with her mood, Young Master.”

Jungkook tilted his head in interest. “Really? So what does her appetite say about her mood right now?”

Sera looked up at Jang who avoided her gaze. “She’s troubled.”

Jungkook looked at Sera who went back to her bowl. “Ya.”

“If you’re gonna ask me what’s troubling me, that’s stupid.”

“I wasn’t gonna ask that. I was gonna tell you that I brought ice cream. It’s in the fridge.”

Sera looked up and smiled. “Good.”

I can’t tell you about Sekyung, Jeon. Not now. She’s your family.

 

 

 

“You’re here.” Sehun said flatly as Sera walked inside his office. She sprawled on the couch and closed her eyes. “Is it weird if I tell you that I think already know who’s behind all these? Like I'm... pretty certain.”

“W-what?” Sehun looked up from the stack of papers he was working on.

“Sekyung. She went to me yesterday.” Sera opened her eyes and sat up, crossing her arms. “She had the audacity to go to Namjoon Oppa’s room.”

“And?” Sehun pressed.

“She told me to stay away from the Jeons.”

Sehun clucked his tongue as he stood up. “And you think that’s enough evidence?”

“She hated me from the start, Hun.”

“Shim Taekyung.” Sehun started. Sera looked at him, confused. “What? Who?”

Sehun sat beside her and turned her to face him. “Shim Taekyung was a businessman working under your father. He was Chief Financial Officer of Park Industries. He usually took your father’s place when he was busy.”

“And?”

“When your mother was pregnant with you, your father missed several meetingd to assist her with her doctor appointments. He missed one particular overseas meeting and sent Shim Taekyung instead. The plane crash and he died.”

Sera bit her lip, astonished. “Why are you telling me this…?”

“Shim Taekyung was Sekyung’s father.”

Sera gasped, the color draining out of her face. “Who knows about this?”

“Me. Namjoon. You.”

“Is this why she has been…? Oh my god is she actually... blaming our family?”

“We don’t know, Sera. We can’t just point our finger at someone just because she has a motive.”

Sera stood up and cried in frustration. “But is this not crystal clear to you? She thinks I killed her father!”

“We don’t know that.” Sehun muttered, looking at his fingers.

Sera glared at her friend. “If you won’t help me expose her, then I will expose her myself.”

Sehun sighed as she slammed the door.

I have a plan, Sera. Trust me.

 

 

 

The Parks arrived at the Jeon estate that night for dinner. The families met every now and then to discuss their company’s stakes and the ongoing investigations.

“Where is Oh Sehun?” Mr. park asked as they ate. “He’s been very helpful.”

Sera suppressed her grunt of annoyance.

“Ya.” Jungkook nudged her. She looked at him, annoyed. “What?”

“You’re cranky.”

“Just… drop it. I’m not in the mood.” She whispered, going back to her food. Jungkook watched her eat and shook his head.

“You handled the public well, Sera.” Mr. Jeon smiled at her. She managed a polite nod. “Thank you, abbeonim.”

“Why did you do such a thing, darling? You could’ve consulted with your father~” Mrs. Park lightly chided. Sera sighed a little. “I figured it was time to let the public know that we are not bulletproof. It’s a superficial image to be maintaining for a company whose goal is to work closely with its people.”

“That was brave of you, Sera.” Haena winked. Sera smiled back.

Sekyung pushed back her chair and cleared . “May I be excused? I’m not feeling well.”

“Go on, Sekyung-ah. You’ve been working too much lately. Get some rest, okay?” Mrs. Jeon said, looking at her worriedly. Sekyung managed a nod before meeting gazes with Sera.

Sera looked at her innocent façade. “Rest well, Unnie.”

Sekyung replied with another curt nod before exiting the room. Haena glanced at Junghyun and Jungkook.

“I…” She stood up, gaining attention. “I’ll see to it that she’s okay.” She smiled and politely excused herself too. Sera’s grip on her knife tightened as she looked at the Jeons.

Why worry over someone like her? She inwardly scoffed.

 

 

 

Sehun treaded the Jeon estate’s vast lawn towards the main door. He was late to dinner, but he needed to invite the two families to the Samsung launch.

And he needed to see Sera. She wasn’t exactly happy with him that morning.

“What if someone sees you here? You should be more careful!”

“We disposed the car, S-Samonim. They cannot be traced back to you.”

“You went here to tell me that? You could’ve called me! I cannot risk anyone speculating me, especially now!”

Sehun stopped in his tracks. He bit his lip as he made sure that he couldn’t be seen.

“T-The men are getting scared, Samonim. The police have paired up with Samsung and the Parks. Their investigation is getting more intensive. Our hideouts would be discovered soon. Most of he hackers disappered. W-We don’t know what to do.”

“Bull! Go tell them to keep quiet and lay low for now. I paid you all a lot of money, so you better keep your end of the deal. Besides, the Jeons will believe me no matter what. Stop being cowards.”

Sehun shook his head and immediately went inside.

Keep on pretending to be one of the Jeons. I will expose you soon.

 

 

 

“Where’s Sekyung?” Sehun asked Junghyun as he moved to his side after talking with the elders.

Junghyun’s brows furrowed. “She excused herself a while ago. She’s not feeling well.”

“Did you find anything, Sehun-sshi?” Haena asked as he joined the two.

Sehun shook his head. “Not yet. But Sera… she knows.”

“About Sekyung?”

Sehun nodded. “Yes. She thinks she’s behind all this.”

“Well, she’s not the only one.” Haena exhaled and leaned a little of her weight on Junghyun. The latter rubbed her shoulders comfortingly. “She didn’t tell Jungkook though.”

“She does not know that you guys know. I think it’s better this way. It’s difficult for her to tell him. Sekyung is your family, after all.”

“We need that evidence.” Junghyun muttered. “Did you check up on her?”

Haena nodded. “I followed her to the hall, but she told me to get lost. She went outside for some fresh air, I think.”

Sehun looked out the windows. “She must be scared. I think she knows we’re all coming after her.”

“She lost her father… I think this is how she copes with the pain.”

“But that’s not enough to justify her actions.” Jungkook stepped in and joined them. Just then, Sekyung walked back inside the room, escorted by the butler. She talked for a while with the elders, a small smile on her lips.

“Someone should keep her away from Sera.” Jungkook muttered, about to walk away when Haena stopped him. “I’ll do it, Kook. Stay here. Let’s not give her any more people to doubt. She trusts you and Junghyun the most.”

Haena crossed the room to Sekyung. The latter stiffened with the company, both women tensed as they tried to maintain smiling facades as they talked.

“She has a motive, but why are we not doing anything?” Jungkook groaned in frustration.

“It’s not that easy. She kept her tracks well-hidden.” Junghyun replied.

“That she did.” Sehun muttered as she looked at her across the room.

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Im going on a three-day retreat so I can't update tomorrow :( I still haven't checked my drafts huhu

But I hope you guys are enjoying the daily updates! 

Thank you for the subs too huhu I reached 1000 I never expected that. For such a lazy and irresponsible fanfic author.... damn im speechless i love you guys

Thanks for being patient with me. <3

감사합니다!