Chapter XLVII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

 

Kai closed the door and went straight to the couch. Sera was still burying her nose with all the paperwork she had to finish, and he was extremely hungry. He heaved a deep sigh and observed her, thinking of how his friend turned out to be one major workaholic.

“Done?” He asked, and her brows furrowed. She didn’t even spare him a glance. Rude.

“I told you, just eat with Sehun or someone else. I’m really busy.”

“I know.” He stood up and walked to her place. “But I also know that you have to eat. I heard from Jang that you skipped breakfast. Come on.”

She placed the pen down and looked at him. “Jongin, please. I… It’s not a good idea to be seen out with you especially after… after…”

“We’ll order in, then!” He grinned and poked her cheek. He knew she was still extremely hurt by what happened with Jungkook, and she was doing all these paperwork to distract herself. If it was up to him, he’d go straight to Jungkook and tell him what he just lost.

He stopped at that thought and looked at Sera. Why couldn’t I?

“I’ll send food here so don’t go anywhere, okay?” He mumbled and went for the door.

“Okay.” She muttered, focused on whatever she was reading.

 

 

The man glared at Namjoon, but Namjoon remained unfazed.

“Who hired you to follow Sera round?” He asked, clasping his hands together. The smirked, looking away. Namjoon sighed and cracked his knuckles. “I’m asking you politely, who hired you?”

“I don’t know.”

“How can you not know?!” His voice echoed around the room as he stood up. The chair he was sitting on fell on the floor. “How can you not know who was paying you to ruin an innocent girl’s life?!”

“Namjoon, please.” Sehun stepped forward and tapped his shoulder. “Let me do the asking.”

He took a step back, clenching and unclenching his fist.

“Why don’t you know?” Sehun started, his eyes staring right into the man’s. The man looked hesitant for a moment. He looked at Namjoon who was fuming, and Sehun who was still waiting for his response. There was no point on prolonging this inquisition.

The man sighed and finally loosened up. “I never know who hires me. My superior does all the negotiations and he tells me what to do. I’m just doing this to survive.”

Sehun nodded. “Tell us the whereabouts of your superior.”

“I don’t know where he resides. He contacts me when to meet and where to meet. Uses a different number everytime. He gives me the details, and when I succeed, he pays me. That’s it.”

Namjoon grunted in annoyance.

“Then give us all the numbers that he used.” Sehun went on, unsatisfied.

“I already did. You have all my belongings.”

 

Namjoon walked out of the room, with Sehun trailing behind him.

“This is pointless.” He hissed, to which Sehun just exhaled. It would be hard catching this superior. Their business seemed to be really secure. He honestly didn’t know what to say. He was as frustrated as Namjoon was.

The two looked at each other when a phone started ringing. They looked at the bag where the man’s belongings were kept, eyes wide.

 

 

Sera stood up and stretched her arms. She turned the television on and sighed, mindlessly changing channels. Her mind was a mess, but working made her focus on something. It was a form of escapism. It made her forget what she just lost— the person she could never get back.

Kim Corporation’s heir, Kim Jongin, just appeared at the Park Industries meeting yesterday. This meeting was the announcement of its decision to cease ongoing merged subsidiary operations with the Jeon Group, as well as the end of Park Sera and Jeon Jungkook’s engagement.

Last month, news of Park Sera and Kim Jongin surfaced among netizens, making the people doubt her sincerity to her fiancé. Could there be a dee—

She turned off the television and closed her eyes. Her image was broken. For the people, she was the traitor. She would’ve been affected if all these were false allegations, but truth be told, she knew she was.

She was a traitor. In her own way, she turned away from what she promised. She promised to tell him everything— she didn’t.

“Sera!”

She jerked up, looking at Junghyun who was looking back at her with wide eyes. Her brows furrowed for a second before she stood up. “Oppa… what brings you here?”

What the is happening?”

She winced a little at his tone. Junghyun was always the cheerful and playful one. 

“I’m sorry… Jungkook and I… we should’ve told you. There were—“

“Bull.” He shook his head and took a seat. “It would be useless telling me lies. You know what you should’ve done?” He looked up at her and she looked away.

He sighed. “You should’ve stuck together.”

“You don’t understand…” She said softly. She was getting tired of all these people telling her what to do. She had her reasons and she believed in what she did. No turning back.

Junghyun stood up and walked to her place. “Sera, look at me.”

When she didn’t even attempt to meet his gaze, he gently held her shoulders and made her face him.

“I’m not dense. I know you two feel something more than what you are supposed to, and it’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with that. You don’t have to step away. Let my brother be by your side. Let us be by your side.

“It was Jungkook’s decision.”

“Then you shoud’ve told him that you didn’t want it. He makes hasty decisions when he thinks it’s the best for you, Sera. We all know that. But he was wrong. It wasn’t the best for you. For the both of you. For everybody.”

Sera turned away and shook her head. “I’m really sorry for disappointing you, Oppa. There are things that I can’t explain right now.”

“Sera.”

“Please, just leave me alone. I’m sorry.”

Junghyun looked at her once more before turning to leave.

 

 

Jungkook twirled the keys on his finger as he looked at the view of Han River. He looked around the happy couples and the children running around, wishing he could feel the same way.

But he was thinking that what he did was for the best. Of course it was.

He let out a sigh as he watched the sun set. The city lights were slowly overpowering as night took over. To be honest, he tried working on his music. He tried eating his favorite snacks. Heck, he even tried to study. Still, he couldn’t get his mind to stop thinking about her. Everything he saw, he could relate to her.

It was getting tiring and bothersome, but he did what he needed to do.

He shook his head and stood up, stretching his arms.

“Ya, Jeon Jungkook.”

He turned around to see Kai approaching. A wave of mixed feelings washed over him, from jealousy to regret.

He couldn’t utter a word so he just nodded. Kai offered a small smile. “Can we talk?”

“O-okay.”

“Why did you do it?”

Jungkook knew what he meant, and he didn’t want to beat around the bush. “To make her happy.”

It took Kai a moment before he replied. “That is the biggest mistake of your life.”

Jungkook was getting irked at Kai when the latter shook his head at him. Is he here to gloat? He has her now. What could he possibly want?

“What do you really want to tell me, Jongin-sshi?”

“That you have to take her back. You have to be with her. You have to love her, because I know for sure that you do. Why did you put an end to something that makes both of you happy?”

With that, he stepped back. Kai was delirious and clueless. She loves you, idiot. You and only you.

“I think you’re getting the wrong idea here, Jongin. I… I don’t love her, and she doesn’t love me. We were arranged, and now it’s best that we put an end to it. The interests of our companies come first.”

Those words felt like poison. He clenched his jaw and maintained his firm façade.

Kai closed his eyes briefly. He had this disappointed look on his face, and exasperation was evident on his demeanor. “I don’t know why you’re doing this, but I won’t pester you anymore. I just want you to know that you lost the most beautiful thing that you could have in your life.”

He watched Kai walk away, and was about to go himself, when Kai stopped on his tracks and looked back.

“You’re telling me that you don’t feel anything for her, and she doesn’t feel anything for you? Well, you’re wrong. Park Sera is known for being unbreakable. When you shun her away, even if she masked it all, we all knew she was breaking inside.”

 

 

The Jeons were having their dinner quietly when the youngest one arrived. He took his seat beside his brother after greeting his parents.

“Where have you been?” Mrs. Jeon inquired, breaking the silence.

“I needed to pass by somewhere.” He simply replied, and the silent dinner ensued until Junghyun slammed his fists on the table.

“I can’t take this anymore.” He hissed. “What is happening to this family? What are we doing?”

“Junghyun—“ Haena reached out for his wrist but he shook his head and turned to his parents. “The Parks are like family to us. Dad, Uncle Park is your best friend. I remember going to your golf club and seeing you being so genuinely immersed in conversation with him. Why are you just backing out of everything when things get ty for them? Is everything just for the company’s image?”

He turned to his brother with a cold glare. “And you! Don’t tell me bull that you just had to end things with Sera because I know you have feelings for her. In this time of need, you suddenly step away?”

He clenched his fist and shook his head. “I never thought we would reach this point in our lives where we put the company above the people we care about.”

“I’m sure it’s not like that, Hyun. The Parks wanted us to step back.” Sekyung said softly.

“He’s right.” Mr. Jeon muttered. He looked up and sighed. “Sera talked to me. She offered me a way out. She didn’t want us involved in all these attacks against them. She pleaded, and I agreed.”

Sekyung nodded. “See, Hyun? They wanted us—“

“But you didn’t have to do that!” Junghyun retorted, looking at his Dad with pleading eyes.

“I know.”

Jungkook remained silent on his seat.

“I know.” Mr. Jeon repeated in a whisper. “I’ll make things right. We will be there for them in their time of need.”

Haena briefly met Sekyung’s eyes from across the table. The latter looked away immediately and went back to eating. Jungkook excused himself and went out of the hall.

“When you shun her away, even if she masked it all, we all knew she was breaking inside.”

He clenched his fists as he strode to his room

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________

 

 

 

look who's back

sorry exams week huhu

but hi