Chapter XXXV

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Sera opened her eyes and inhaled the familiar scent. She peeked up and saw Jungkook’s sleeping face, his lips slightly parted with light snores escaping.

She tried to crane her neck to look at the time at the bedside table but she couldn’t see, with him practically hovering over her body.

Her eyes widened at the thought.

His arms were wrapped around her waist loosely, his head inches away from hers. What surprised her more was her arm draped over his body, her head close to his chest.

Why did she even come to him last night? What was she thinking?

She knew he wasn’t just some person in her life anymore. He played a role— a big one. She just couldn’t tell what it was, and if it was right or wrong.

“No, it’s him. Ever since you got into that stupid arranged marriage, you haven’t been the same to us. You’ve sought him, always. You come to him for everything.”

She buried her head on his chest and bit her lip.

“Go back to sleep.”

When she looked up, his eyes were still closed. He adjusted the blanket on her body and pulled her a bit closer to him, as if they weren’t close enough.

She knew she had to figure out whatever was happening. She knew she should be bothered.

Whatever Kai was implying, could he be right?

But still, she went back to sleep like he said, and all she could think of was how comforting his presence was. She’d drown in it for the moment.

Just this time, she thought.

 

 

Sekyung laid down the flowers and closed her eyes. She thought about what he looked like, what would have happened if her dead mother didn’t give her to some orphanage, and what if he knew.

What if he knew she existed? That he had a daughter who wanted him.

She hesitantly left the cemetery, her mind wandering to unanswered questions. She sat on the driver seat for a few minutes, just thinking. A lot had been going on the past few days. She had been distracted. But now it was crystal clear— she was crestfallen. She longed for her true family.

The ringing on her phone broke her train of thoughts, and a sigh escaped her lips.

“Where are you?” Junghyun asked.

“I needed to go to a place.”

There was a short silence before he talked again. “Do you… want me there with you?”

“Hyun, I’m fine.” She smiled. She may have had a complicated history with him, but he was still the Junghyun she knew. “Don’t keep Haena waiting and go to your dress fitting.”

He sighed and nodded, as if she could see. “Okay, but if there’s anything…”

“I know. Thanks, Hyun.”

“Anytime.”

She placed the phone away and reached for the envelope on her dashboard. Her fingers trembled as she held the papers inside it. She skimmed through the paragraphs of information and stopped on a highlighted paragraph.

Death: STY died in a plane crash. STY was on his way to London via private jet to attend a meeting with executive head of Bank of England. STY wasn’t supposed to attend, but he went in place of CEO Park of Park Industries. Reason unknown.

She in her breath as she read the name over and over again.

CEO Park of Park Industries

 

 

Namjoon furrowed his brows as Sera entered the living room. She went straight to the couch and closed her eyes.

He knew asking her if she was okay was useless, so he just sat beside her and tapped her leg. After a few seconds, Sera turned to him, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

Wordlessly, he pulled her to him and her back. I’m here. We’re all here.

“I don’t know anything anymore… I feel… I feel so stupid.”

“You’re not. Stop telling yourself that.”

She pulled away and stood up. She looked at the same spot where Kai argued with her and the feeling eating her inside grew even more. “Did you know that he felt the same way… about me?”

Namjoon didn’t say anything.

“Did you?” She turned to him, tears lining down her cheeks. Namjoon was about to speak, but the door opened.

“I did.” Sehun walked inside.

Sera wanted to run to him, to tell him everything, but she couldn’t. Because amidst all, she felt betrayed. “Well you did a great job keeping it from me.”

Sehun tried to approach her but she held her hand up. “No. I don’t need it.”

The boys glanced at each other, and then Namjoon stood up. He breathed in and out and faced his cousin who was looking back at him with stone cold eyes.

“Are you mad at us for not telling you, or are you just frustrated with yourself?” His words were firm and painful, that silence ruled for some seconds. Sera clenched her jaw and looked at the two men standing before her. “What the are you trying to say?”

“Sera,” Sehun stepped forward. “The cards are all in your favor now. You should be happy. You finally have him. He loves you the way you always wanted him to.”

A bitter chuckle escaped her lips. “You think it’s that easy?”

“Then what is making it difficult? Why can’t you be happy about it?”

She bit her lip, trying so hard to compose herself. “There are things that you don’t understand.”

“Then make us.”

“I… I..”

“You need to figure out what’s happening yourself. We don’t want to spell it out for you, don’t we?” Sehun crossed his arms, raising a brow at her. “You’re still so dense.”

Her fists balled. “You think you know everything, when you just got here? Oh please, you, Sehun. Don’t act like you know everything cause you don’t.”

“That’s the point. Only you know it, Sera. That’s why we want you to tell us. Tell us why you can’t accept Kai. What’s stopping you? Who’s stopping you?” Namjoon urged. He watched her flinch at his words, and a pang of regret ran over his body.

Sera took a deep breath and shook her head. She stormed out the room, leaving the two to themselves.

 

 

Mr. Jeon caught a glimpse of his son running down the staircase.

“Jungkook,” he called out. “Come here for a moment, will you?”

Jungkook hesitantly entered his father’s library. “Yes, father?”

“I have already hired a private teacher for you and Sera. With all the publicity you two are getting, I think it’s best for you to be homeschooled.”

Jungkook nodded. “Okay. Sounds good.” He turned to leave when his father called him again and motioned for him to sit down. He reluctantly sat across him, looking away.

Mr. Jeon examined him for a while before he spoke. “What’s wrong?”

“N-nothing’s wrong, Dad. Just a little stressed.”

Truth be told, he was devastated. He woke up with no one beside him, and he couldn’t stop thinking about what happened to her last night. He wanted answers, but he knew she needed time alone.

“Son,” Mr. Jeon stood up and walked to pour himself a cup of tea. “I don’t want you to think that we are robbing you of your life. If this arranged marriage is—“

“No, Dad.” He replied, biting his lip. “I’m fine with it.”

Mr. Jeon furrowed his brows and nodded. “Okay… but if ever you want to step out, I won’t be mad. We are asking too much of you. After all, I know how important it is to marry for love.”

Jungkook nodded. “I know, Dad.”

“I don’t want you to be unhappy.”

He smiled. “Thanks, Dad. I’m really fine.” He stood up and walked to the door. Mr. Jeon gave him a curt nod. “Just remember, you have a choice.”

He nodded and left the room.

 

 

Sera, we need to talk.

Sera scoffed as she read Kai’s message. No, she didn’t need to talk. She didn’t need anyone.

I’m Park Sera and power is my middle name.

She kept her eyes straight on the road, her hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. She chanted those words over and over, but the more she did it, the more she doubted herself.

How could power be her middle name when she could not even figure out what was going on?

She needed to wake up. She needed to not let this stupidity eat her whole.

“Dad?” She breathed out as the ringer connected. Her Dad sounded a little tired on the other line. “Yes, honey? What is it?”

She stepped on the gas pedal. “Give me anything to work on. Anything.”

“But you—“

“Please.”

“Okay, come to the office.”

“I’m already on my way.” She ended the call and exhaled. The last thing she needed in her life was emotions confusing the hell out of her. She used to live a life of vague emotional attachments and clear focus on her goals until now.

She wanted it back. She needed it back.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________

p

I'm just gonna leave this here...