Chapter XXVI

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

 

Sera sighed as she leaned her head on the couch’s armrest. She stretched her legs and closed her eyes, her brows slightly furrowed. Hip-hop music was playing on her speakers, and somehow it made her relax even more. Thoughts ran wild on her head, from the engagement, to the merger, to Jungkook’s brother coming home, to Kai, and surprisingly, to Jungkook.

That dork, she snickered inwardly, before she fast approached slumber.

 

 

“Young Master, good afternoon.”

Jungkook gave the secretary a meek smile and looked at the door steps away from him.

“Is she in?”

“Yes. Please go ahead. She just finished all her meetings.”

He nodded and held the knob, hesitating for a moment. He didn’t even know why he was here in the first place. He had a lot of things to do in the company, but somehow he ended up here.

Something was really wrong with him, he thought. He didn’t know why but he’d suddenly find himself going to places. And those places always involved her.

He exhaled deeply before pushing the door open. “Hey pig!”

He expected a snarky remark or even a pillow flying straight at his face, but there was only an odd pair of hip-hop music and a peacefully sleeping Sera inside. He almost laughed at how unusual she was with her taste in relaxing music.

He sat on the couch across hers and studied her face. was slightly opened, as light snoring escaped. She was hugging herself with her arms, squirming a little as the song came to a loud instrumental.

Jungkook shook his head as he stood up to drape his coat over her. He moved the strands of hair that fell on her face and her cheek— if only she was as peaceful when she was awake. A smile lingered on his lips as her lip twitched with his touch.

He woke up from his senses with loud buzzing on the coffee table. His eyes darted to the caller id and his jaw unconsciously clenched.

Kim Jonginnie

He turned away to leave. He had to get his mind straight.

 

 

“Jeon?”

Jungkook turned back hesitantly and met her inquiring look. She rubbed her eyes and yawned before standing up to stretch her arms. “Why are you here? We just saw each other this morning. Need anything?”

“I was…”

She noticed his coat on the floor and picked it up. She clucked her tongue and helped him wear his coat. She fixed his necktie, before tapping his chest and smiling in satisfaction. “Now you look better.”

“You should get some rest, you know. And try sleeping with ballads. You squirm a lot.” He muttered and looked away. Sera tilted her head and poked his cheek. “Have you been watching me sleep for a long time?”

“What?” He frowned. “No. I just got here.” She looked at him doubtfully and he bopped her forehead. “Go and check your phone, pabo. It was ringing.”

She nodded and looked at the missed call briefly. “Right, I forgot to tell you, I’m going with Kai tonight. In his new unit in Gangnam.”

“Ah, really?”

“Yeah.” She plopped on the couch and tapped the space beside her. He sat down and relaxed on his seat. “Is that a date?”

She scrunched her nose at the word. “No. It’s not like we’ll ever have a date with this one-sided drama I’m in. I’ll just help him online shop for furniture. He has a really bad taste at interior design.”

He was about to speak when she gently leaned her head on his shoulder. His breathing hitched as she wriggled a little to find a comfortable position. It took a few seconds before he asked. “Sera-ah, are you… gonna be okay?”

She chuckled and raised her thumb. His arm hesitated for a while before he finally placed it around her shoulders. “Then just text me if you get emotional. No one else can see our dragon lady cry. She can be a real mess.” He joked, and she playfully hit his leg.

But she knew he was right. He was the only one he could count on right now.

 

 

Endless phones ringing and busy chatters surrounded the crammed room. People were rushing here and there, lost in their own busy bubbles. The noise seemed already an inherent part of the environment that no one seemed to mind one phone that never stopped ringing.

“Could someone answer the damn phone?!” One man finally shouted as he typed furiously on the keyboard of his pc. A person finally took the initiative and took the call. His brows knitted together for a moment before he nodded and ended the call. He ran to his desk and quickly opened his laptop.

“I just got a tip!”

The chatters halted as everyone stared at him. “What tip? From who?”

“It’s an anonymous tip, but it’s about a big company.” He smiled, and the people inside the crammed room gathered to hear what could be their paychecks for the rest of the year.

 

 

Sera warily looked around the parking lot before she stepped out of the car. She took quick long strides towards the basement elevator. When she arrived on her desired floor, a happy Kai greeted her.

“Hi cupcake!” He enveloped her in a tight hug to which she returned, her heart skipping a beat. He took her hand and pulled her to his penthouse. She scanned the vast space and nodded in approval. “You picked a good place. I like it.”

“Right?” He grinned excitedly and took her coat.

She slipped on the furry slippers he placed beside her feet and chuckled. “But it’s so empty, Jonginnie.”

“That’s why I need you.” He winked and led her to the living room. They stayed on a futon that he set up on the floor. They shared a comforter as she scrolled away on the laptop, browsing different couches.

He chuckled as she scrutinized everything she came across and scrunched her nose when she disliked something. He opened a box of donuts and tried to feed her. “Eat some, Sera. You look like you could use the food.”

She opened and took a big bite. She grinned upon seeing a red velvet couch and faced him. “This! I want this.”

He nodded as she smiled and poked his nose. “What do you think? Kai? Hello, earth to Kim Jongin!”

Kai blinked and nodded. “Y-yeah. Just get what you think would be nice.”

“Okay, whatever you say, mister.” She shook her head and faced the screen again. Kai took a deep breath, the image of her smiling still pasted on his mind.

“Ah, wait.” She muttered and faced him again to take another bite of the donut on his hand. He watched her chew, a big smile on her face. His eyes were just looking at how her lips were so plump and pink.

“Can you get me some grape soda?” She mumbled, and he nodded, grateful for the distraction.

 

 

“Do you remember that time at Disneyland, when you lost your phone?” She bit her cheeks to stop herself from laughing.

Kai frowned and lightly kicked her foot. “I loved that phone!”

She rolled her eyes to mock him. “Only because it had plenty of your girls’ numbers.”

“You never like any of my girlfriends.” He snickered and playfully pinched her cheek. Sera shrugged and took a sip of her grape soda. “If you didn’t change them like you changed clothes, I would’ve had the opportunity to know one of them.”

He grinned apologetically. “Sorry cupcake. Your best friend is a bad person.”

“Good thing you know.” She stuck her tongue out.

He watched her happily eat her plate of nachos before he asked what he wanted to ask for days already.

“How’s your engagement?”

“Same. The marriage date was pushed farther because Jungkook’s hyung came home.”

“Is he treating you well?”

She stopped chewing and looked at Kai. “Jeon? Of course. It’s like I’m the one not treating him well.” He knew she was joking, but he knew her so well that he didn’t miss how her eyes darted elsewhere to hide her worry. He moved to sit beside her and pulled her closer to him.

“What’s wrong, Sera? You know I will always know.”

She sighed and fidgeted with the pillow. “It’s just that I feel bad. You know I always knew I’d be arranged, right?”

He nodded and she closed her eyes briefly. “Well that’s not the case for Jeon. He was really forced into this.”

Kai bit his lip and thought for a while. “Then why don’t you two protest?”

“It’s for our companies, Kai... You of all people should know what it’s like to really want to have something you never thought you wanted, right?”

It was as if she could read his mind that he wondered for a moment if she knew about how he truly felt, but she went on. “Well I’ve been thinking. I think I really want to get married soon.”

His jaw clenched, her words ringing on his ears. “W-what? Why?”

Sera smiled almost apologetically and hugged her knees. “Because it’s the fastest way. If we get married soon, we’d just have to wait three years before we could break it off. I don’t want to be a burden to Jeon. I can see that he really wants to work on his music, and I feel so bad for not being there to help him.”

Kai managed a shaky breath and clasped his hands together. “Let’s not talk about depressing things, cupcake. I’m sure Jungkook understands the situation very well. If he didn’t, you’d be doing so poorly with all the publicity.”

She smiled. He was right, but that was the main point. Jungkook was so kind and understanding that she felt like she was just making life hard for him. She didn’t want that.

“But he doesn’t deserve all this fuss. He does not deserve me.”

“Come on. Let’s talk about other things.” Kai nudged her and she nodded.

“Monique?” She asked hesitantly, and Kai burst out laughing. “Oh please, I don’t want to talk about her.”

Sera knew she shouldn’t ask more. She’d end up getting hurt, but she also knew she was stupid when it came to Kai. “So why did you two break up?”

“It’s different without you, you know.”

They locked gazes before she turned away, laughing nervously. “What?”

“Well, when you came back here, everything felt so lonely. I never thought you brought that much happiness, cupcake.” He smiled softly and ruffled her hair. Sera took a deep breath to calm herself. Her heart was already pounding against her ribcage, ready to explode.

Kai tugged on her arm and pulled her close. “Well, if you really want to know about Monique…” He his chin and nodded. “I don’t like her. She’s just too typical, you know. And I found someone that I really like.”

“Y-you did?” She chuckled. “What’s the name, now?”

He rolled his eyes and pinched her cheeks. “Aigo, always the curious one.” He stared at her for a moment, his hand gently squeezing hers. “I honestly don’t know what to do without you, Sera.”

She broke away and managed a smile. “You greasy man.” She chuckled nervously and clutched the blanket. “Why don’t you get some wine, Jonginnie? I haven’t tasted white moscato for a while now.”

She exhaled heavily as soon as he grinned and skipped to the kitchen. She shakily got her phone and typed away.

“Here, madam.” Kai handed her the glass and she downed it in just seconds.

His eyes widened as he shook his head. “Slow down, missy.”

She asked for the bottle and he reluctantly gave it to her. She filled her glass and started drinking. She smiled in satisfaction after and blinked. “Wow, that was perfect.”

“Miss our secret drinking parties, eh?” He teased.

She nodded and hugged her knees. “I miss Sehunnie.”

“Don’t worry, that lazyass can’t live without us. He’ll be here soon.” His eyes darted her again when she downed another full glass. The bottle which was full a while ago was already half-empty. “I think you’re too overwhelmed, honey. Slow down.” He tried taking the bottle away but she hugged it tight on her chest. “No. I’m okay. Tell me more about… Macau.”

He nodded reluctantly. “Well, Abbeoji is setting me up to dates, as usual. And he called me there to meet some daughter of a Chinese conglomerate.”

“And how was it this time?” She asked, wiping her lips. Kai shook his head. “I ditched it. I told you, I like someone.”

She burst out in a loud guffaw. “Kim Jongin, liking someone? Like, for real?”

He frowned a litte. “What? I can’t have something real with someone?”

She turned silent, her eyes looking everywhere except him. She poured another glass and downed it like it was water.

“So who is she?”

Kai smiled and stretched his legs. “Are you sure you want to know?”

Sera stared at him intently, and he did the same. She crawled closer to his place and touched his face. “Are you really my friend, Kim Jongin?”

Kai felt his jaw clench and his skin tingle with her touch. That was new. “Ya.”

Then it hit him. Sera and her really low tolerance for alcohol.

She giggled and poked his nose. “I don’t want to know. Don’t tell me her name. I don’t want to know!!!” She rolled on her side and giggled uncontrollably. Kai sighed and placed the almost empty bottle away. He pulled her up but she was struggling that they fell back again on the futon, with her on top of him. She tilted her head and touched his lips, her eyes unfocused.

“Kim Jongin…” She sighed, her head gently falling on his chest. Kai took a deep shaky breath and stood up, careful not to hurt her. He placed a pillow under her head and looked at her closing her eyes. He chuckled a little as she murmured. “I don’t… I don’t want to know, okay?”

“Yes, understood.” He smiled and caressed her cheek. “You irresponsible woman, getting dunk with just one bottle…” He muttered, and she laughed, pulling his arm to hug it. “I missed you, Kai.”

“I missed you too, cupcake.” He chuckled, tugging his arm away because the doorbell was ringing. He managed to get away from the drunk mess and chuckled to himself. She was so much honest when she was alcohol-induced.

“Hi.”

Kai stopped for a moment before speaking. “J-Jungkook? What brings you here?”

“Uhm… Is Sera here?” He tapped his foot uncomfortably as he tried to peek inside. He heard Sera’s laugh and his brows furrowed. “I guess that answers it.” He muttered. Kai placed his hands on his pockets. “Yeah, is there something wrong? Something came up with the company?”

Jungkook shook his head. “No. no, everything’s fine.”

“Then—“

“Oh!” Sera grinned, looking at Jungkook. “It’s my handsome fiancé!” She jumped to his arms and hugged him tightly. Jungkook’s eyes doubled in size, even Kai who was watching them both. She pulled away and pulled his tie to near her face to his.

Jungkook scrunched his nose with the strong smell.

“I miss you soooooooo much, Jeon! Do you know that?” She cooed, pinching his cheeks. He held her arms and steadied her. “Did she drink a lot?”

“I couldn’t stop her.” Kai answered, looking at Sera who managed to pull away from Jungkook and was doing a little dance. He swiftly caught her when she stumbled, and she looked up, frowning a little. “Kai, I think you’re floor is a little slippery…”

Jungkook sighed and extended his arm. “I’ll take her home.”

“It’s okay. I can drive her home.” Kai instantly replied, but Jungkook stepped forward. He tapped Sera’s shoulder and she turned to him, the sides of her lips tugging to a little smile. She jumped again on his arms and buried her face on his chest.

“Our Kookie who loves music so much~”

Both men looked at each other intently.

“Why did you go here, Jungkook?” Kai spoke first. Jungkook held Sera firmly on his arms. He noticed that she already stopped moving and was just resting against his chest. “She texted me to pick her up.”

“She did?” Kai bit his lip in disappointment, but he managed to nod. “I’m sorry. It must’ve been a drunk text.”

“No worries.” Jungkook smiled and opened the door. “Then, I’ll take her home now.” He gave him a small nod and supported Sera, who was just walking lazily, eyes closed. Kai stopped him by holding his shoulder. He turned to look at him with a questioning look.

Kai looked at him fixedly. “I know you’re engaged for business. I know that this is all an act. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. You don’t have to… go this far.”

Jungkook heard him clearly. He nodded and smiled. “It’s okay, I’m fine.”

“Really, if this is all getting too burdensome—“

“No.” Jungkook cut him off. “She’s not a burden. I care for her.”

Kai watched as they disappeared on the hallway. He sat on his futon and looked at the glass walls, thoughts running wild on his head.

Downstairs, the driver quickly helped as soon as he saw Jungkook carrying Sera out of the elevator. He carefully placed her on the backseat and sat beside her, his brows furrowing as her head fell on his shoulder for the second time today.

He looked at her sleeping face and felt that feeling again. The same feeling that made him go to her office this morning without any reason at all.

“She’s not a burden. I care for her.”

He closed his eyes as he let his own words sink in.

 

A lot, he thought.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

...