Chapter XI

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Sera was about to speak when Jungkook started.

“Yes, I am. Who are you?” He looked at Kai from head to toe and looked at Sera. She sighed and stepped between the two. “Kai, this is Jeon, my… yeah you know. And Jeon, this is Kai. He’s a friend from the US.”

“Oh,” Jungkook muttered and looked away. Kai grinned and tapped his back. “Nice to meet you, man. And I’m really sorry.”

He looked at Kai and raised a brow. “Why…?”

“You get to be stuck with this…” He looked at Sera and continued. “Monster, I mean, beast, oops, I really meant girl.”

She socked his shoulder and he winced in response. Jungkook watched the two bicker like children and hesitantly turned around to face the cashier.

 

 

“Maknae-yah!” Jimin opened the door and grinned like a child. Jungkook trudged inside, threw his backpack to the floor, and lazily fell on the couch.

Hoseok plopped beside him with a bowl of cereal. “We’re mad at you.” He chuckled, and Jungkook couldn’t help but roll his eyes. “And you guys are smiling?”

Yoongi walked out of the kitchen with his emotionless face. “I am mad at you.”

“Now that’s believable.” He muttered.

Jin appeared wearing an apron and carrying a bowl of ddeokbukki. Taehyung trailed behind him, carrying the small plates and forks.

“Awwe, you didn’t have to, Jin Eomma.” Namjoon teased but when Jin shot him the look, he looked away and pretended nothing just happened.

Yoongi sat beside the maknae and slapped his leg, to which the latter winced. “Hyung!”

“Where were you last night?”

Jin placed the bowl on the coffee table and they all huddled around it, sitting on the floor. Taehyung distributed the plates and sat down too, smiling contentedly.

“Yeah, Mr. Jeon didn’t look happy, but when we lied about Sera probably spending quality time with you, his mood lightened up.” Jimin explained, his mouth full. Jungkook smiled at his hyungs. “Thanks.”

“So, where were you?” Jin prompted.

Jungkook filled his plate with the food and shrugged. “We just drove around Seoul and ate some street foods at Myeongdong.”

“So you did spend quality time~” Taehyung grinned.

Hoseok ruffled Jungkook’s hair. “Our maknae’s growing up!”

Jungkook was utterly confused. “What?”

“You know, ditching your parents and going out with a girl.” Yoongi explained. Jungkook tilted his head and frowned. “B-but she’s my fiancé!”

“You just made it worse, you know.” Namjoon muttered.

Jungkook ignored everyone else and went back to eating. He wondered why it was so bad, and what his hyungs meant with their tone.

“Where did you go earlier, anyway? I was calling you.”

And who was that Kim Jongin? Was he really close with Sera that she lets him hug her just like that? He wasn’s really prying, it just shocked him. After all, the Park Sera he knew was not particularly friendly.

“Ya, Jeon Jungkook!”

Jungkook looked up from his plate and blinked. “What?”

Yoongi flicked his forehead. “We were asking you where you were earlier. We went for some Thai food and we were calling you but your phone is unreachable.”

“Ah. I went out for ice cream with Sera.”

“Just the two of you?”

He shook his head. “Her… close friend from the US arrived.”

“Is she pretty?” Taehyung urged excitedly. Jungkook took another bite of his food and snickered. “It’s a he.”

“Oooh, is he pretty?” Taehyung revised his question, and the other boys just looked at him with those what-is-wrong-with-this-person looks on their faces. Taehyung’s smile vanished and he frowned. “What did I say?”

“Really V? Like really?”

“Boys can be pretty too. I was just asking.” He shrugged. “Are you gay?” Jimin chuckled, and Taehyung finally realized what was happening. “What? No! I asked because I wanted to know if Jungkook’s rival is good looking!”

Now it was Jungkook’s turn to frown. “R-rival?”

“You know, like competition.” Taehyung explained, when Namjoon threw a pillow at him. He glowered at his hyung. “Hey!”

“Let’s eat.”

Jungkook’s brows furrowed as he looked at his hyungs. “I see what’s happening here.” He started, and they all looked at him. “You guys are teasing me with Sera.”

“Uhm, duh?” Jimin replied.

“Not gonna happen. We’re friends, okay? We happen to be good friends because we’re playing roles our parents expect us to play. Don’t get ahead of us and play cupid.”

He stood up and turned to leave, his hyungs looking at him with baffled expressions.

“And how many times do I have to tell you, Sera’s weird in all ways possible.”

With that he left.

The boys looked at each other before Hoseok turned to Namjoon.

“So hyung, who’s that friend?”

 

 

“Hi Jang.”

Jang bowed a little and smiled. “She’s inside her room, Young Master.” Jungkook nodded and pushed the doors open. She was lying down the bed on her belly, typing on her laptop. Hip-hop music was blasting off her speakers.

“Nice mixtape.” He commented and plopped on the couch on the foot of her bed. She looked up and acknowledged his presence with a nod. “Wassup?”

He took the remote and turned her television on. “Bored.”

“Sera.”

“Hmm?”

“We’re good friends, right?” He turned his head to look at her. She looked at him incredulously. “Why are you asking that out of the blue?”

“I also don’t know.” He said. She her chin. “Yeah, I’d say you are my good friend even if you get really annoying at times. I mean, I have to bear with you for I don’t know how many years so yeah.”

He shot her a glare. “Wow, just wow.”

“What?”

“Nothing.” He replied. She was the bluntest person he had ever met, and well, she was right. They had to bear with each other so might as well be good friends.

“Did you meet with the Oppas?” She asked and shut her laptop close. She sat beside him and handed him a bowl of popcorn. “I kind of… talked back to the hyungs. I have nowhere to go. They’re in my house.”

She chuckled with full. “Why did you do that?”

“I was annoyed? I don’t know, ugh.” He threw the remote beside him and closed his eyes, his forehead creased and brows knitted together. She poked his shoulder and he faced her.

“What did they do?” She prompted and he flinched. “Do we really have to talk about it?”

She stood up and got a cartoon of chocolate milk from her bedside table. She sat beside him again and downed her drink straight from the carton. “I figured you’d want to talk about it since you went here.”

She passed the carton to him and he gladly took it, taking a gulp of his own before speaking. “I want to just… chill, you know.”

She nodded as he passed the carton back and she drank again. They passed the carton back and forth until it was empty. “I still want to try that restaurant in Gangnam, you know.” She mumbled, and he looked up. “Should we try it tomorrow dinner?

“I can’t. I’m going out with Kai.”

“Oh,” He murmured.

“How about this Saturday?” She suggested, and he gave her a thumbs up. “Sure, whatever you want.”

They remained silent for a few minutes, watching a re-run of the Friends TV show. When the episode ended, they both slouched even more on the couch.

“I want to eat, . Aren’t you supposed to be a good friend and bring some food over?”

“Fatso. I’m not your butler.”

They looked at each other knowingly.

“Jang!” They both shouted, when the door opened and Jang walked in carrying a box of pizza. They grinned and attacked it in an instant, with the old man looking at them and shaking his head.

 

 

Sehun pinched the bridge of his nose. Kai was on the other line, talking endlessly. He put the call on loudspeaker and jumped to the bed.

“She never told us she got into some arranged engagement.”

“She’s just following her parents, Kai.” He sighed. Kai released a frustrated sigh. “I know, but, it's just...? She could’ve told us. It’s a shocker.”

Sehun sat up and shook his head. “Why are you so bothered, anyway?”

“I don’t know, Hun. When Sera left you know how everything changed. We used to be like the inseparable trio. I guess I just miss those days.”

He looked at the phone as his brows furrowed. “Kai, she needed to go home. You know that. And you’re there already, what’s with all the fuss.”

Kai was silent for a moment before he spoke. “I don’t know too, Hun. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I’ll go to sleep now.”

The line went dead and Sehun closed his eyes.

Is he… no, no he can’t possibly.

 

 

_________________________________________

uh-oh