Chapter LIX

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

 

“Oh, Sera! I’m happy you’re here.” Junghyun grinned as he rubbed his sleepy eyes. Sera chuckled as she bit her piece of toast. Jungkook was spreading some Nutella on a piece of bread when Junghyun playfully hit the back of his head.

“Good mornin’, bro.” He teased, to which Jungkook groaned. “Don’t make it a bad one for me, hyung.”

“Aigo, these boys.” Haena clucked her tongue as she brought out a plate of fried eggs. She placed them on the table and sat down. “This is great, right?” She smiled.

Junghyun watched her with a dreamy smile. “You planned this?”

“A nice breakfast with special people does not need planning, jagi.” She winked.

Junghyun hummed. “I’m marrying the perfect girl.”

“So, how’s work, Sera?”

Sera shrugged. “I took on Oppa’s current projects. He’s been handling the opening of our Yeouido branch.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Sera shook her head with a smile. “Oppa handles most of the branch openings. But, he never mentions his name as director. He usually works under my father’s name as head. He hates people seeing him as their boss.”

“Young Masters.”

Both men looked up as their butler came rushing inside the dining hall.

“What is it?” Junghyun uttered. The old man bit his lip as he turned the television on. He then stepped aside for everybody to see.

JEON GROUP STOCK RISES AT AN UNPRECEDENTED HIGH AS ANNOUNCEMENT OF ENGAGEMENT OF ELDEST HEIR. HOWEVER, PARK INDUSTRIES STILL HASN’T RECOVERED FROM PREVIOUS DOWNFALL.

Sera managed to smiled and drank her milk. “That’s not new. Let’s not listen to—“

“Ani, Young Miss. There’s more.”

Sera’s brows knitted together as she redirected her gaze to the television.

HEAD OF THE YEOUIDO PROJECT, DIRECTOR KIM NAMJOON OF THE PARK INDUSTRIES, HAS BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT A WEEK AGO. PARK INDISTRIES HAS REMIANED QUIET ABOUT HIS CONDITION, BUT INSIDER REPORT CLAIMS THAT HE HAS BEEN SICK FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW DUE TO OVERFATIGUE.

“Bull.” Sera stood up, fist clenched.

Jungkook held her shoulders to calm her down, but she was fuming with anger. She fumbled for her phone on her purse and cursed incoherently as she did.

“Sera, let’s talk this through. Don’t make any rash decisions.” Jungkook said as he held her arm. She brushed him off and placed the phone on her ear.

“Secretary Baek? Yes, I saw. I want you to release the cctv footage of Oppa’s accident. Do it quick. Also, schedule a press conference.”

“Sera—“

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” Sera muttered as she stormed out of the room.

Jungkook exhaled and looked at his brother. “Hyung, did you find anything about Sekyung noona?”

Junghyun squeezed Haena’s hand from under the table.

“N-Not yet. I will update you if I find anything.”

 “We can’t let him in this plan, jagi. If… if he finds out that we’re planning to expose Sekyung, it’ll break him. I still have hope that this is not her.” Junghyun whispered as Jungkook walked to the far end of the room to look out the window. Sera's car was speeding out of the Jeon estate.

Haena bit her lip, then she looked up. “Didn’t Sera mention that Namjoon doesn’t reveal his position as director on branch projects?”

“She did. Someone involved in the project must’ve leaked it to the media.”

Jungkook clenched his jaw. “Sekyung noona.”

“What?”

He turned to face his brother with anger in his eyes.

“Sekyung noona offered to help Sera with the Yeoudio branch yesterday.”

 

 

 

“You really think it’s Sekyung?” Kai muttered as he looked at his phone with worry. Sehun paced back and forth with crossed arms, stopping in front of his friend. “Apparently, Sekyung signed a mutual aid pact with the Yeouido branch for its internal control requirements.”

“So she could’ve leaked it to the media?”

“Possibly.” Sehun muttered and sat down.

He looked at Kai’s phone and grabbed it. “Contact that person.”

“What?”

“Tell that person, whoever it may be, that you have a game plan.”

“I don’t, okay? It makes me feel bad that I keep on coming on to Sera. I don’t want to drive a wedge between her and Jungkook.”

“Just bear with it until we catch her, Jongin.”

Kai sighed and took his phone from Sehun. “When?”

Sehun bit his lip. “This weekend. Samsung is holding a party for its latest launch. Tell her that you’ll break Jungkook and Sera apart at that night.”

Kai exhaled heavily as he typed.

I’m going to do it. Sera will be mine. Saturday, Samsung’s product launch. See it for yourself.

Sehun nodded at his friend as he hit send. They nervously looked at the phone, waiting for a response. Kai stood up, agitated at the tension. Just then, it buzzed on the coffee table. Sehun was quick to open the message.

Good, you’re not as cowardly as I thought. Park Industries will be free after that night so do your part of the deal. I’ll be watching you, Kim Jongin.

 

 

Sera cleared before stepping out. She avoided the flashes of the camera and proceeded to her seat.

“Young Miss Park will be giving her speech. Until then, please avoid asking questions. She will be answering questions after.”

Sera maintained a straight face as she looked at the cameras.

“I will be brief, so I ask for all of you to listen to what I say. Our company has been experiencing some problems internally, but rest assured that it is being handled. The warehouse bombing weeks ago has been a result of an external party sabotage. As a result of this, we have been partnering with agencies to investigate the matter.”

Jungkook nodded his head encouragingly at the side of the podium. Sera exhaled and stared back at the press.

“We also have been receiving threats from some unknown party as confidential files are being hacked. However, our system has already been re-established with the help of Samsung. My cousin, Director Kim Namjoon, is in the hospital recuperating. He hasn’t been overworked, but has been a victim of a car accident. We still haven’t caught the culprit. However, I believe that this has all been orchestrated by one party. This press conference is to clear all the rumors, and to serve as a warning.”

Murmurs surrounded the room as the young heiress of the Park Industries looked straight into the cameras. Her gaze was hard, her jaw clenched.

“To whoever it is targeting our company— we will not stand by as you do your dirty work. We will find out who you are, and make sure justice will be served.”

 

 

 

“Where is she?”

Junghyun sighed as he hung his head lowly. “No one has seen her since last night.”

Sehun cursed inwardly as he looked around the house. Haena was beside Junghyun, biting her lower lip anxiously. Sehun’s head tilted. “You’ve been friends for quite a while, right?”

Haena met his gaze and nodded.

“So you know her really well?”

“Better than we know her.” Junghyun replied for her. Sehun nodded carefully. “Can you lead me to her room? Is that okay?”

Haena nodded once more and directed him towards Sekyung’s room. He muttered a thank you as he closed the doors behind him.

It was a neat room. Everything was arranged, as if no one lived in it. Sekyung walked around and looked around.

He stumbled upon a drawer on her bedside table. He tried opening it, but it was locked. Luckily, he knew how to get things done when he wanted to.

Sehun smiled triumphantly as he heard the satisfying click. He placed the pin back on his pocket and opened the drawer. He saw Junghyun and Haena’s wedding invitation, torn and crumpled.

His forehead creased.

Then, he saw the same files he saw at Namjoon’s study. It was the investigative report about her father’s plane crash.

What startled him was the piece of envelope laid carefully under all the mess. He gingerly took out its contents and frowned.

Plane ticket. One way.

He took it out and felt another piece of paper. That was when a gasp escaped his lips.

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I’m really sorry. I know you would’ve handled it better than me. I don’t know what to do.” Sera muttered as she held Namjoon’s hand. She watched his peaceful sleeping figure and sighed.

“Wake up soon, okay? I need you with me. I know it’s really selfish… but please. Please wake up.”

She felt a tear threatening to fall from her eye, so she exhaled heavily. A knock on the door woke her up from her moment. “Come in.”

“S-Sera.”

Sera gasped as Sekyung walked inside the room in a hurry. She closed the door behind them and leaned on it.

“Unnie? What are you—“

“I want you to trust me. Please.”

Sera took a step back. “Y-you. You told the media about Oppa, didn’t you?”

Sekyung’s lip trembled. “Sera, please. I-I’m so sorry.”

“How dare you.” Sera hissed through gritted teeth. She glared at Sekyung with menacingly. “Why would you do such a thing?”

“I— I was trying to help. I tried to...”

“What?”

Sekyung exhaled to calm herself. In a split second she was composed, holding both of her hands in front of her. “Park Sera, listen to me.”

Sera snickered bitterly.

“For your own good, break it off with Jungkook. Break all ties with the Jeons.”

Sera frowned. “You started this all, didn’t you? You hate me so much that you would do this?”

Sekyung closed her eyes briefly and stared bak at Sera. “I warned you. Stay away from the Jeons.”

Before Sera could respond, Sekyung already left, slamming the door after her.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

...