Chapter XXIX

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

The Hummer parked in front of the Park residence. Jang was already waiting outside, tapping his foot impatiently as creases on his forehead showed with the evident worry.

When Sera hopped out, he rushed to her and held her arm. “Young Miss, the situation is not good. I think you should—“

“Park Sera!”

Mr. Park went out of the main door, his jaw clenched and his brows furrowed in anger. Sera glanced at Namjoon in confusion. She was just gone for a night and something came up again? Or was her father mad she went out?

She honestly didn’t know what to do already.

He stormed to her place, and before anyone could do anything, he slapped her with so much force that Mrs. Park gasped and Namjoon cried out. “Samchon-ah!”

Mr. Park exhaled deeply and seethed. “Face me, young woman.”

Sera shakily faced her father, tears threatening to fall. She clutched her shirt really hard as he opened his eyes to meet hers. “You irresponsible child! What will the Jeons think of you now, huh?”

“Abbeoji… I… I don’t know what I did.”

“You don’t know?!” He scoffed loudly, making everyone wince. “Look at yourself! You’re engaged yet you’re spending nights and flirting with other men?”

“I—“

“I don’t want to see you right now. Get out of my house!” With that he trudged back inside. Mrs. Park looked at her daughter and was about to come closer when Mr. Park shouted once more.

“Leave now, and come back only if you fixed the mess you made!”

 

 

 

Sera locked the door to the room. She was staying at one of Namjoon’s condo units for the mean time. He really wanted to be there for her, but he knew how his cousin was. He sighed deeply and knocked on the door.

“Call me if you need anything, okay?”

She didn’t respond, but somehow that was all the answer he needed. He felt a pang of pain as he heard her muffled cries. He closed the door gently behind him; already dialing the person he knew could talk to her.

Few minutes after Namjoon left, Sera finally had the strength to stand up. She shakily browsed the news and her breathing hitched. Pictures of her with Kai getting out the car, with his arm around her waist were all over the internet.

There were several more of them walking, laughing, and stepping inside the elevator. She threw the phone away and buried her face on her palms.

She didn’t know what to do. Of course there was nothing to it. They were friends.

But the public didn’t know that. No one knew anything about her.

There was a time when she was young that she thought people were talking about her because she was the daughter of the Parks. But she knew better as she grew older. They expected a lot from her. They were waiting for her to make a mistake.

To fail.

And that was what was happening now. She was failing, big time.

“Sera.”

She stopped crying and looked at the locked door. She knew that voice too well.

“Open the door.”

“Leave me alone, Jeon.” She wanted to say it firmly, but her voice failed her.

He was silent for a few seconds. “You know I can’t do that.”

Sera closed her eyes as fresh hot tears streamed down her cheek. She wasn’t just disappointing her parents, she realized. She was hurting Jungkook too, and the Jeons. They trusted her, but here she was making a mess.

“Open it now before I decide to break it.” He said once again with more conviction.

It was no use trying to get him to leave. Jungkook had his ways. And besides, what’s there to hide when he knew every single thing about her already?

Still, she was full of hesitation when she opened the door. He looked at her for a second before pulling her close and again, like always, she collapsed under his strong arms, letting all her tears out. It was the second time for him to see her broken and vulnerable, but it just got more unpleasant for him to watch. It was far from the Sera he knew— the Sera she chose to show everyone.

He sighed as he felt her clutch his shirt shakily. He didn’t know why, but somehow Sera crying was a sight he hated to see. It was hard to admit, but her tears hurt him too, in a whole different way.

But he knew better now. She decided to show him who she really was and he would do the same, because that’s what friends do, right?

“I’m sorry this is happening, Sera.”

“It’s my fault.” She whispered as he gently sat her down the couch. He handed her a glass of water and helped her fix her hair. “No. The media is targeting you.”

“I don’t know how to fix this, Jeon. It’s too big.” She managed to say. Jungkook sighed and looked away. “Don’t worry. It’ll die down.”

She chuckled bitterly. “We both know it would not.”

“Don’t you trust me?” He faced her with a serious look, his tone sharp. Sera bit her lip and sighed. “I do, but you know this is my mess. You can’t—“

“Look.” He held her hand and squeezed it. “I know it’s hard but what we have to do now is act like nothing happened. That’s what the public wants. To see us fine and unaffected.”

She knew he was right, to the point that she envied how he could still think of that.

“We have to attend this charity auction later at the Grand Hyatt. They’re will be a lot of people expecting us there.”

She nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Jeon. I’m sorry I’m showing you how weak I am.”

“No. Tears are not signs of one’s weakness. Just let me help you, okay?”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around him. Jungkook felt himself tense but when she buried her face on his chest, it somehow felt right. He didn’t care about his doubts anymore.

“I don’t know what to do without you, .”

He just chuckled, wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close.

Me too.

 

 

Junghyun fixed his bowtie and checked his appearance on the mirror. He smiled contentedly and turned around only to see Sekyung already in her long gown.

“So dazzling, Kyungie.” He winked. Sekyung forced a smile and approached him. “Too bad that Haena’s not here…”

“No worries. I’m glad to be our Kyungie’s .” He grinned and wrapped an arm around her waist. “She’s excited to see you again, you know.”

“Yeah, me too.” She replied feebly, but Junghyun was too distracted to notice that.

“She’s prepping herself up to work at the company. Always talking about this and that—“

“She’s working at our company?” She tried to mask her surprise, but it was too evident. Luckily Jungkhyun was too excited to tell her more about it. “Yeah! Eomma and Appa thought it best to gift her with significant amount of shares, enough for her to manage a subsidiary. Of course I’ll be helping her, but I also got a lot…”

She wasn’t listening anymore. She could feel all her muscles tense and her jaw clench.

She comes into the family and she’s given everything I’ve ever wanted?

 

 

“Smile for the cameras.” Jungkook reminded her before they got out of the car.

Sera chuckled and flipped her hair to the back. “Don’t worry, I’m back in the game.”

Jungkook first stepped out the car and he assisted her. Loud questions were being thrown at them, about their current situation, the recent pictures, and about her relationship with The Kim heir.

Sera played it well by ignoring all of them and smiling her way to the hall, with Jungkook by her side. She knew it wasn’t over when the attendees all turned their heads to look at both of them with inquiring looks.

She ignored the hushed tones once again and took her seat at their designated table.

“Good job.” He winked, and she rolled her eyes. “Of course.”

She scanned the room and her eyes met Kai’s. He was at the other end, looking at her with the concern evident on his eyes. She looked away and faced Jungkook. “I can’t believe I’m supposed to ignore my own best friend because of this .”

“It’s just for the time being, trust me.” He replied distractedly as he scanned the room, craning his neck. Sera observed him and tilted her head in confusion. “Jeon, are you planning something?”

He snickered and poked her nose. “No. I’m just telling you to act normal and everything will be fine.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” She shrugged and turned her attention to the auction bidding.

 

 

“Oh, Sera.” Junghyun hugged her and tapped her cheek lightly. “I’ve heard about what happened. Don’t worry, business can be a little harsh. Are you okay? Is my brother taking good care of you?”

She smiled and nodded. “I’m fine, Junghyun Oppa.”

“You’ll get through this. The media is usually very sneaky with our private lives, are they?” Sekyung shook her head in disdain. “Don’t worry, they’ll get some lead tomorrow about some other person and it’ll all die down.”

Sera again just smiled. She didn’t know what to say.

“How’s the working going for you, little bro?” Jungyun socked Jungkook’s shoulder and he winced. “Wow hyung, you don’t have to hurt me if you ask something.”

“Such a kid.” Junghyun stuck his tongue out. “Are you stressed with work?”

“You must be, after the stock prices fell this morning…” Sekyung trailed off and squeezed Jungkook’s shoulder. Sera’s ears perked up as she turned to Sekyung.

“The stock prices fell?”

Jungkook and Sekyung exchanged glances unsurely.

“No, it’s—“

“What is it, Jeon?” She demanded.

Jungkook sighed and closed his eyes briefly. He knew he couldn’t hide these things from her. She was a dragon lady when it came to business.

“The Park and Jeon stock prices fell this morning.”

She didn’t look surprised, instead her jaw clenched. “You should’ve told me.”

“I told you to just act—“

It was too late. She was already trudging her way out of the event. Jungkook looked at his hyung worriedly before catching up with her. “Sera!” He held her wrist and she looked at him with her deadliest glare. “Don’t treat me like a ing child, Jeon.”

“I was going to tell you. I was just…”

“What? Were you sparing me from the consequences of my actions? I can handle it, you know! You told me to trust you but you yourself don’t trust me. You think I can’t do it?”

He shook his head exasperatedly and pulled her outside one of the verandas. How could she even think that way? He shut the door close and pinned her to the wall. She tried to protest but he was too strong.

 

 

Kai was watching the auction bidding without much interest. Usually he joined these bidding for fun, enjoying the competition as people fought for random heritages.

But now, he was feeling really lifeless. He wanted to comfort Sera badly. He knew the pictures could tarnish the Park’s merger with the Jeons, and he also knew how important that was to her.

When she looked away earlier, it felt like the whole world poured out all its problems for him to carry. To state it in a different way, he felt like .

“Hey.” Sehun was suddenly beside him. “Not joining the auction?”

He chuckled dryly. “I’m giving other people chances.”

“Wow. Changed man?” Sehun mockingly replied, but he was too tired to reply so he just shrugged. They were silent for a while before he spoke again. “I’m trying to track down who took those pictures, Jongin. I might have a lead anytime.”

“Thanks, Hun.” He smiled genuinely, but the smile vanished when he realized something. “Wait, why are you not showing yourself to Sera? I’m sure she misses you to death. She’ll go ballistic if she finds out you’re here without you telling her.”

Sehun was unaffected. “I’m too lazy. I’ll see her soon.”

“Oh Sehun, you’re laziness is really… daebak.” Kai shook his head and looked away. He scanned the vast hall, when something caught his eye.

“Hey Hun, I’m going to go out for a while.” He didn’t even wait for Sehun's reply and hurriedly left.

 

 

Jungkook took a deep breath before he started speaking. He didn’t know how to tell her. In fact, he didn’t know what to tell her because he still didn’t have the answers himself. So, he just let his emotions speak.

“I trust you, Sera. But I don’t want you to overthink. You have the tendency to overthink.”

She grunted as he tightened his grip on her wrist.

“You have no right to decide what I should and should not know.”

“I do. The moment we agreed on telling each other everything, I gained that right. The moment you let me in your life, you gave me that right.”

She looked away, unable to stare back at those meaningful eyes. He also didn;t know what to do, but he did not let go. He wasn't planning to. They were silent for a few seconds before she finally stared back at his eyes. “I regret it, Jeon. I shouldn’t have.”

The pain was evident on his expression. He in a sharp breath and stared at her intensely. “Well, it’s too late.”

“Just let me go, please.” She said weakly.

Jungkook sighed and loosened his grip on her wrist, but still not letting her go. “I told you I’d fix this, right?”

She was too devastated to reply so he just let her shoulders fall. She just wanted to curl up in bed and forget everything. For him, it was disgruntling to see her like that. Did she not believe that he could fix it? For her?

“Please don’t be mad at me.” He whispered as he placed her hands on his shoulders. She finally looked at him, confused.

She was about to pull away from him but he pulled her closer, their faces mere inches from each other. He stared right at her eyes and she couldn't help but do the same. She didn’t know why, but she felt her grip tighten on the sleeves of his coat.

Instead of saying something, Jungkook closed his eyes and gently placed his lips on top of hers.

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________