Chapter LII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Mr. Jeon downed another glass of whisky. “How can that happen?”

“Don’t worry, Appa, we’re investigating all the employees involved in the subsidiary. We will find out who did this.” Junghyun said, scanning through a folder of files.

Namjoon, who was sitting there for a few minutes already, spoke for the first time.

“I suppose Haena already told you about the threats she received before?”

Junghyun nodded. “I’m really sorry, Joon. If I knew about this beforehand, we could’ve taken the necessary precautions. But no one expected it to… repeat. And at this magniture. I’m really sorry.”

Namjoon stood up. “It’s not your fault. Whoever this is… they have a strong dislike for your company being tied to others. Do you have any partners that could have any motives such as this?”

Mr. Park pressed his temple to ease the throbbing in his head. “This is a surprise to us, Namjoon. I can’t think of anyone capable of doing this.”

The door opened and Sekyung walked inside. “You called me, Abbeoji?” She said, smiling a little at Namjoon. Mr Park sighed in relief as he saw her in the room. “Sekyung-ah, thanks god! We need your help investigating the employees involved. We need to find out who allowed that delivery.”

Junghyun nodded and squeezed Sekyung’s shoulder. “I’ll be helping you too, Kyung.”

“O-okay, Abbeoji. I’ll personally go to that department tomorrow to check.”

She looked away and met Namjoon’s eyes. He was watching her keenly, confused as to why she seemed a bit off.

 

 

“Open the door. Please.”

When there seemed to be no reply, Sera leaned on the door and exhaled heavily. Haena looked at her apologetically, stepping forward to squeeze her shoulder. “Give him some time.”

After news broke out that the bomb came from the delivery truck which had the Jeon Group seal on it, Jungkook locked himself in his room. He avoided Sera at all costs. He never thought he’d bring danger to the one he treasured deeply. He hated it; he hated himself.

Sera shook her head and knocked on the door for the nth time. “Jeon… I thought we were past this. Please open the door. I… I need you right now.”

A few minutes ensued without any of them talking. Still, Sera remained on the door, waiting.

The door opened slowly, and Jungkook looked at her with a forlorn expression.

She smiled weakly at him. “Will you let me in?”

Haena, who was watching Sera this whole time, smiled at the two before retreating back to her room with Junghyun. They knew the two needed some time alone.

Jungkook stepped aside to let her in his room. She did, and immediately hugged him as he closed the door. Jungkook stood frozen in his place for a few seconds before slowly burying his head on her hair.

“Don’t you ever do that again.” She warned and he nodded. Wordlessly, they walked to the couch and sat down. He wasn’t looking at her, but he was holding her hand and playing with it.

She sighed. “It’s not your fault, okay? Someone inside your company is manipulating things. Not you.”

“I just…” He bit his lip. “I never thought it would be me who was putting you in danger. If I knew about this, I never should’ve…”

She pulled her hand away and looked at him, annoyed. “What? You never should’ve came back to me?”

He exhaled and looked away.

“We’re done being martyrs, aren’t we?” She mumbled.

He knew he shouldn’t avoid her, but it hurt knowing that it was him bringing all the harm to her. If he had to stay away for her to be safe, he would. But he was right, they were done being martyrs. They had to be strong.

“We are.” He whispered and opened his arms.

She sighed and silently snuggled close to him, burying her head on his chest.

 

 

Kai walked out of his Dad’s office and heaved out a sigh. As usual, he was being set up to another date with some heiress. But the world knew he was going to ditch it, he was Kim Jongin after all.

He slipped into his Audi and looked at his phone. No messages and calls. Again, another sigh escaped his lips.

He couldn’t deny that he was happy. He was happy for Sera and Jungkook. However, another thing he couldn't deny was that he was also sad.

He had this empty feeling.

A beep woke him up from his thoughts.

Hey, wanna get some ice cream after I get out of work? – Sera

He smiled to himself.

 

 

“So these hackers keep changing their address. We all know that some person must be funding their equipment and places. Some company or person with a vendetta not against Sera solely, or Park Industries, but someone against the Jeon Group.” Sehun stated as he walked around the conference room.

One of the men nodded. “However, Young Master, we cannot directly infer that they are against the Jeon Group.”

Namjoon looked up, his forehead creased in concentration.

Sehun motioned for his staff to go on.

“Well, this person targeted two young ladies, and I must say it is not a coincidence that these ladies are bound to get married to the Jeon heirs.”

Sehun bit his lower lip. “So , someone who doesn’t want the Jeon Group to be acquainted with another company?”

“Possibly.”

“Or,” Namjoon muttered, and all heads turned to him. “It could even be someone who wants to protect the Jeon Group.”

Sehun met his gaze before Namjoon stood up.

“I’ll be going. Please update me.” He mumbled before dashing out of the room.

 

 

Kai walked to Sera’s office, whistling to some tune. He went past the empty secreatry’s table and shrugged.

“Hey cupcake!” He happily barged in.

Sera let go of Jungkook's hand, baffled. Jungkook's eyes were wide as he looked at Kai.

“Uhm...” Kai cleared his throat. “Was I interrupting...”

Sera bit his lip and forced a chuckle. “Nothing, you dimwit!”

“Yeah.” Jungkook chuckled and stood up. “I was just visiting and—“

“No need to explain to me.” Kai looked away, embarrassed. “Anyway, Sera texted me earlier and—“

“Ice cream! Yep, I wanted to get ice cream. I actually texted Sehun and Joonie Oppa too, but they ignored me. So, I guess it’s just us three?”

Kai and Jungkook met glances.

“Oh come on you two, I want you guys to be not awkward with each other!” Sera playfully nudged both of them.

Jungkook shrugged. “I’m up for anything.”

“So....?” Sera grinned at Kai. He looked at both of their expectant faces and nodded. “Fine, but no one complains if I order more than once.”

“Who doesn’t? It’s ice cream.” Jungkook chuckled.

 

 

“I’m sorry sir, but you will have to wait. Young Miss is still in a very urgent meeting right now.” The secretary bowed her head and Namjoon sighed.

He walked to one of the couches and sat there, looking around. One whole floor was designated in the Jeon Building for Sekyung’s department. She was chief director, overseeing all the company matters.

He noticed how the secretary was observing him, so he pretended to just play with his phone. A few minutes later, he noticed a man rush out of the elevator and talked to the secretary in hushed urgency.

The secretary looked at Namjoon, hesitating if she should leave him alone. After a few seconds of thinking, she approached him.

“Sir, I’m so sorry but it seems that the meeting is not going to end soon. If you could come back some other time...”

Namjoon smiled and stood up. “That’s okay. But before I leave can you please direct me to the restrooms?”

“It’s that way, Sir.”

He nodded and went to the direction pointed to him. In his peripheral vision, he saw the secretary rush to the elevator with some documents, leaving him alone.

A smile tugged on his lips. He immediately turned back to Sekyung’s office, acting nonchalant as some employees busily passed by him. Very carefully, he slid inside the office and closed the door silently behind him.

First, he walked to the desk and started opening some drawers.

He knew he was being reckless, but he just couldn’t ignore the signs.

He stopped short on a small manila envelope hidden below some stack of papers. He warily picked out the contents, and what he saw confirmed his suspicions.

Pictures of Sera everywhere, from cafes to the office, even from outside the Park’s mansion were there.

His grip on the folder tightened.

Sekyung, you delusional sly fox.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________