Chapter XXIII

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Jungkook’s POV

 

 

Sera waved at the kids who were already waiting inside the house. They pressed their faces into the windows and grinned happily.

I walked a little ahead of her, turning back to offer her my arm. She took it and looked at me hesitantly. Seriously what is with her?

We entered the hall where the kids were playing. Some ran to us as they spotted us there. I could feel Sera’s grip on my arm tighten. She was still smiling, but the unease was clear.

A little girl tugged on my shirt, and I smiled and carried her in my arms. She giggled and spread her arms to Sera, but she shot me a warning look. I tilted my head curiously and she bit her lip, looking around the volunteers who were watching us closely.

“Don’t worry, I’ll hold the both of you.” I whispered, getting a hint of the situation. When the kid jumped to her, Sera flailed her arms around that it almost looked funny.

What would she do without me?

I supported the kid’s weight with my arms, still holding her body. She clung on to Sera’s neck and played with her hair. “Just hold her and don’t let her fall.”

She glanced at me. “I’m… I can’t.”

I saw the hint of worry on her eyes.

“Lean on to me.”

She did, resting her side on me as the kid poked her nose. I enclosed my arms around her, holding the kid’s weight with my arms. I looked down to see Sera smile a little as she conversed with the little girl.

She met my eyes for a moment. “Thanks.” She mouthed.

 

 

 

Narrator

 

 

The kid playfully competed as they lined up for the toys that Sera were distributing. Jungkook was sitting on the floor, playing with the kids. He glanced at her, and had the utmost urge to roll his eyes. Just a while ago was this jittery girl, but at the moment she was all smiles.

“Are you two married?”

He woke up from his thoughts and looked at the little boy curiously looking at him. He chuckled and ruffled the little boy’s hair. “No, but we’re gonna be married soon.”

The little boy nodded and played with his toy. “Well, do you love her?”

“What?” Jungkook’s eyes widened a little.

The boy looked at him once again and tilted his head. “People marry for love, right?”

He managed to laugh a little. “Uh, yeah, of course.”

“So you love noona?” He followed up, blinking at him innocently. Jungkook bit his lip and panicked a little. Was he to answer some kids with made up life lessons?

“Oppa! Play with me!”

Jungkook pinched the little boy’s cheek. “You know what, why don’t you ask noona?” The little boy nodded and joined the line for toys, jumping excitedly. Jungkook exhaled in relief and turned his attention to the other kids.

 

 

“We’re very thankful for your presence, Young Master and Young Miss.” The lady that was in charge of the center bowed, but Sera immediately stopped her by holding her shoulders. “Please, we’re only teenagers.”

The lady smiled unsurely. “Y-you—“

“She’s right. Just call us by our names, Noona.” Jungkook shushed her with a tap on the shoulder. The lady nodded and smiled at the two. “You two really suit each other.”

Sera chuckled a little as Jungkook put his arm around her shoulder. “We do, right?” He playfully pulled her closer, and the volunteers watching them squealed in delight. Sera lightly hit his stomach and pushed him away. “Sorry, he gets really weird sometimes.”

“Eonni! Oppa! Are you going home already?” A little girl in her pajamas ran to them, followed by her assisting volunteer. She tugged on Jungkook’s pants and pouted a little bit.

“Hyejin-ah, you don’t just run away from your eonnis like that.” Jungkook kneeled and lightly chided her. She clutched her toy close to her chest and stomped her foot. “But you told me we would play!”

Sera smiled at the little girl’s stubbornness. Jungkook chuckled and ruffled her hair. “But noona and I… we still have work tomorrow. We promise to visit again, right, Sera?”

The little girl looked up at Sera who smiled. “Of course, we will.”

“B-but… can’t you stay the night?” The little girl’s voice quivered a little. Jungkook and Sera glanced at each other unsurely.

The lady stepped forward and carried the little girl in his arms. “Hyejin-ah… you should go to sleep, okay?” She her cheek and handed her to one of the volunteers. She then faced the two with a warm smile. “I’m sorry for saying this, but our Hyejin has a point. It’s pouring outside. I think it will be safer for you both if you stay.”

Jungkook nodded in an instant. Sera looked at him, and he just smiled good-naturedly. “She’s right, Sera. We should stay the night. We’ll get back first thing in the morning.”

“O-okay.” She managed a smile, and Jungkook pumped his fist in the air.

 

 

“I hope you can sleep comfortably.”

Jungkook nodded and thanked the lady. He laid out the mattresses on the floor and arraged the blankets. Sera placed the pillows on them and sighed. He looked at her and immediately knew.

“Worn-out?” He asked. She nodded and rummaged her bag. “Exhausted. The kids were great and all, but it’s still tiring.”

She fished out some wipes and began cleaning her face. Jungkook got the pack and did the same. “Did you enjoy it, though?”

She looked at him absurdly. “Of course. I haven’t had this kind of… activity in years. The kids’ energy is refreshing. It feels so light to look at them, you know. They don’t worry about anything. No responsibilities and such.”

“Free.” He whispered. “Free to do what they want in life.”

She looked at him and saw the flicker of sadness on his eyes.

“Ya, you’re not cleaning your face if you’re just applying it on your nose!” She clucked her tongue and pulled out another sheet of cleansing tissue. He looked at her hesitantly as she wiped it over his forehead, to his cheeks, to his chin.

He smiled a little at the creases on her forehead as she frowned. He could perfectly make out the words she was muttering, although the appeared incoherent. They were all curses in English. So Sera-like to curse in a facility full of innocent children.

“Such a useless idiot.” She muttered, dabbing his cheeks with the tissue. He watched her closely, examining her eyes. Even in the dark, they were bright. Her nose line was soft and delicate. His eyes fell to her lips, and he knew he was being strange.

“Such a waste…” She continued to mutter.

His hand held her wrist tightly, and she stopped, meeting his eyes. “Ya, what’s wrong with you?”

He didn’t reply. Instead, he tilted his head and pulled her closer. Sera looked away, clearing . “You know what, we should probably sleep.”

His fingers lightly held her chin to make her face him. Her eyes widened a little as those fingers touched her lower lip. She could suddenly feel the heat of the room, and the proximity between their faces unnerved her.  “Ya, Jeon Jun—“

“I just noticed,” He said, meeting her eyes. “You have a little mole on your lips.” He chuckled and pressed his index finger on her lip. “It’s like a dot!” He laughed and pinched her nose.

She moved away and crossed her arms. “What the hell were you thinking?”

He caught his breath and shrugged. “Nothing. It was just interesting, you know. A mole on the lips.” He pulled the blanket over his body and lied down. “I’m sleepy. Goodnight, sweetie.”

She kicked him but he just laughed. She lied down and turned to the other side so that they were back to back.

“Idiot.” She mumbled, her fingers touching her lower lip.

 

 

“Sir, please turn all your mobile devices off or in airplane mode.”

Kai nodded and watched the attendant leave. He quickly dialed Sera’s number and waited, but there was no response. He tried a couple more times but it always ended up in voicemail.

He bit his lip in worry and dialed the Park residence.

“Jang!” He almost shouted as the old man answered. Jang tilted his head on the other line, trying to recognize the voice. “Oh, Young Master Kim.” He said in recognition after a few seconds.

“Hey, I’ve been calling Sera but she wouldn’t pick up. Is she home?” He tapped his fingers on his leg, trying to keep himself calm. But he was so excited to see her, it was hard.

He wanted to hear her voice. He wanted to joke around with her. He wanted to hear her laugh, of all things.

“She’s in Gwangju, Young Master. She attended a charity event with Young Master Jeon.”

“Oh,” He paused. “What time is she going home?”

“She’s spending the night there, because of the rain.”

“With… Jungkook, right?” He asked.

“Yes, Young Master.”

Kai blinked and stopped tapping his fingers. “Okay, thanks Jang.” He finally said and turned his cell phone to airplane mode. He looked out the clouds from the window beside him and sighed.

 

 

“Wow, I haven’t tasted soup this tasty since Ahjumma!” Jungkook happily brought the bowl to his lips and drank the soup. Sera’s lips twitched as she observed him.

“Wah, so tasty!” He sighed dreamily as he wiped his lip with the back of his hand.

She shuddered and threw a tissue at him. “You’re so dirty.”

He pouted a little at her attitude and wiped his lips with the tissue. “Since you’re being upright, why don’t you wipe my mess if it bothers you?”

“What am I, your wife?” She snickered and rolled her eyes.

He chuckled and leaned closer. “No, but we’re kinda engaged, you know.”

“Stay away from me.” She pushed his forehead away and stood up. “I’m going to play with the kids. They’re so much better company.”

He tilted his head in confusion as she stormed away.

“Period…?” He muttered to himself as he fixed his plates.

 

 

A man in a light blue dress shirt and faded denim pants descended the private jet. He slipped on his sunglasses and smiled as the cold wind hit his face.

“It’s nice to be home.” He breathed out as he walked across the hangar. A Range Rover was already parked there, with four men in suits waiting.

He grinned as one man handed the keys to him. “Thank you!” He gave them a salute and whistled some tune as he hopped to the driver’s seat. He quickly drove away, the smile never leaving his face.

“It’s good to be back!” He shouted in joy.

 

 

Jungkook joined Sera and a little girl play with two puppies. She frowned a little when he sat beside her on the grass.

“Why are you here?”

“Are you fighting?” The girl asked as she carried the puppy. Jungkook laughed and shook his head. “No, that’s just how Noona shows her love!”

“As if.” She said through gritted teeth when the girl turned away for a second.

“Oh, kids, let’s play!” Jungkook called out and more kids ran to play with them. They ran around the small garden as the puppies tried to chase them. Sera laughed as some kids toppled over the soft grass in an attempt to be quick. Some kids were already chasing each other, playing tag.

“Let’s catch Noona!” One kid shouted and they were all running around to get Sera. Sera stuck her tongue out, quickly dodging the little hands reaching out to her.

“Oppa, help us!”

“Aye, aye!” Jungkook grinned and joined the chase. They were all running around, big grins plastered on their faces.

Sera skipped over the puppy and laughed as one kid failed to get her. “Too slow, Junho!”

“Gotcha!”

She squealed as Jungkook caught her by the waist, securing his arms around her. She tried to struggle away from his grip, but he was strong. “She can’t escape now!!” He hollered.

The kids clapped and ran to her, hugging her legs. “We got Noona now!” We got Eonni now!

“No, that’s cheating! You let Jungkook help you!”

“I’m with the kids!” He chuckled and let go of her waist, only to put an arm around her shoulders. “Now kids, what do we do to her?”

“We tickle her!” One kid shouted, and they were all tackling her to the grass. “Don’t be too hard on her, okay?” Jungkook chuckled as he stood up to let the kids do the tickling. She met his eyes and tried to reach his hand. “Jeon, I’m … I’m ticklish!” She said in between laughter.

“H-help me… up!” She giggled, extending her hand. He shook his head and was about to take her hand, when someone else did.

He looked up and his eyes widened.

“Always the ticklish one, cupcake.”

Sera blinked in surprise and glanced at Jungkook. They shared a look before she spoke, her voice cracking a little.

“K-Kai? Why are you here?”

 

 

 

___________________________________________________

Hi guys! 

I can't believe it's 2016. woah.

asdfghjkl I'm in love with Jungkook and Rapmon's cover of Fools. 

And oh much love you guys for commenting! I love hearing from you, and it always cracks me up lololol you guys r da best