Chapter 9 - First day at work

Revenge

Monday finally comes. Her first day of work finally comes. Today marks a new step of her plan. She should be happy since the exciting revenge is waiting for her in that big corporation. However, her heart is heavy. Today, she will see him again – that man – the one that keeps haunting her even in her dream every single night after that dinner. Despite how much she tries, he is still there, grinning handsomely in her head and refuses to leave. After that night, he texted her many times but she didn’t reply. She wants a clean cut. She can’t involve with him. He is too big of an obstacle for her revenge plan. She needs a cold head and cold heart to be able to execute the revenge. But when she is with him, her head is clouded and her heart is too warm. She can’t keep being like that. She can’t be weak.

She stands in front of the mirror, takes a deep breath, checking her attire one last time before leaving the house. She looks good. The suit fits her very well. It is tight enough to show her curvy figure but conservative enough to stay professional. She checks everything before leaving. She has her purse, her keys, her laptop; the only thing she will leave at home is her heart. She doesn’t need that, especially in front of that man …

She arrives at the company, 8 A.M sharp. She comes to his office first just as he asked her. He is already waiting for her with a smile since 7 in the morning or actually since the night that they had dinner together. He has been waiting to see her since then. It’s only a few days but he feels as a decade long. She, the robber of his heart, has been cruelly ignoring him but somehow he can’t bring himself to hate her. Oppositely, he craves the thirst of seeing her even more.

 Every morning, he sent her a “good morning” message and waited for her response all day long. Miracle has never happened so she never responded. But at night, when he rested his back on the bed, he couldn’t stop himself from texting her “goodnight”. He waited for her reply to sleep. Then in the middle of the night, he would wake up and check on his phone, she still never responded. He was sad but he never lost hope. He didn’t allow himself to give up, not on her. He holds on his helpless hope from just a little spark he found in her eyes that night. He believes she has feeling for him. He doesn’t understand the true reason behind her rejection but he will keep being consistent. He will have her heart someday, he believes that.

“Good morning, CEO Kim.” – She greets him, emotionless. Ice is in her voice, so cold that he freezes, for a moment.

Then he smiles, warm as he always is – “Good morning, Ji Hyo. You look lovely.”

His smile is warm as morning sunshine. She is almost melted but she looks away, quickly. She takes a deep breath. She needs to stay strong – she keeps reminding herself that.

“Thank you. Where should I start?” – She tries to go straight to the point, avoids as many unnecessary talking as she can. She has to stay on professional path.  Being socialize with him is dangerous, too dangerous. She feels as he can push her to the red zone any time.

“Well, I will introduce you with your section chief.” – He says and picks up the phone to ask his assistant let the section chief in.

Here it is. She is about to face him in the company for the first time. It is all in her plan but she has to act surprise and both of them have to believe that she is truly surprise.

“CEO Kim, did you call for me?” – The section chief steps in Jong Kook’s office. Yes Choi Jin Hyuk is walking in, just as Ji Hyo expected.

“Yes, I want to introduce you to your new vice section chief, Miss Song Ji Hyo.” – As Jong Kook done his introducing, Ji Hyo turns around to look at Choi Jin Hyuk.

“Omo, Choi Jin Hyuk –ssi.” – She spreads a big smile, her pupil dilate wide. Perfect surprise act!

Jin Hyuk seems to buy it – “Song Ji Hyo – ssi? What are you doing here?” – He of course is truly surprised seeing her here. They definitely have too much of fate to be next door neighbor and working at the same company now.

Jong Kook is the most surprised one out of three – “You two know each other?”

“Yes, she is my new neighbor.” – Jin Hyuk tells Jong Kook.

“It’s good that you two know each other. She will be your vice section chief from now on. Please work well together.” – Jong Kook tells Jin Hyuk but somehow he feels uneasy

“Whoa! What a coincidence!” – Jin Hyuk says in amaze.

“I know. How can there be so much coincident.” – Ji Hyo smiles brightly at Jin Hyuk. She doesn’t want to but she has to. To make he believe that she honestly believes in coincidence even though there is no such thing is coincidence since the day they met. They are all a part of the plan, of her plan.

Jin Hyuk is excited with what he thinks “coincidence”. Ji Hyo is excited as Jin Hyuk falls into her “coincidence trap.” Only Joong Kook stands there in wonder. The way Ji Hyo interacts with Jin Hyuk somehow seems abnormal to him. She was cold as ice a minute earlier toward him but instantly turned bright and warm as summer when she saw Jin Hyuk. He hopes there is nothing between Ji Hyo and Jin Hyuk because not only that he likes her but Jin Hyuk is his younger sister’s boyfriend. He tries to ignore all the negative thoughts. He has to hope for the best because it would be tragic if the woman he loves is the third person in his sister’s relationship. He trusts her to make the best judgement.

“Oh well, let’s work well together, vice section Chief Song.” – Jin Hyuk offers a handshake with a bright smile.

“Please take care of me, section chief Choi.” – She smiles, brilliantly, and shakes his hand, firmly.

Jong Kook stares at their handshake. To him, it is too long for a handshake. He wants to yank their hands away from each other but with a little sanity left in his brain, he stays calm, grips tightly on the side of his desk.

“You two can get to work now.” – He demands, tries to hide his frustrated voice, also tries to beak their hands apart.

“Right, let’s me take you to our office” – Jin Hyuk says and leads Ji Hyo out of Jong Kook’s office. Both of them forget to say goodbye to Jong Kook.

 Actually only Jin Hyuk forgets because he is too excited and amazed from the fact that his beautiful neighbor is working side by side with him from now on. Ji Hyo doesn’t forget about Jong Kook. She is aware of his existence very well. She also sees the suspicion and frustration in his eyes in just a quick glance. She has to be careful from now on. It seems like Jong Kook will have a close look on her and Jin Hyuk. It is not a good thing for her plan. The least thing she needs is someone watching her closely, especially that someone is her rival’s brother.

“Whoa! How did you apply in this company?” – Jin Hyuk asks as he still hasn’t been able to get over his amazement.

“It was a few weeks after I arrived here. I was kind of bored of sitting at home all day long so I decided to search for job. I found the job ad online by accident for this position and I tried my luck. Then here I am.” – She says but of course there is no accident. She had patiently spied on the company website for the entire month to wait for the job opening. She aimed on his department but they were not always hiring She almost lost her patient and was about to take whatever job available. However, even luck was on her side. The vice section chief position finally opened at the last minute and she applied without hesitation. She got the job, obviously, as she expected. The only thing she didn’t expect was meeting Kim Jong Kook that day. Thing would be much easier if that man wasn’t Kim Jong Kook. However, she can’t change reality so she has to work her best to compromise with the situation. She will not let herself waiver. The race is only begun.

“Don’t you think that there is too much coincidence happen to us?”

“I think it is fate, not coincidence.” – She says, smiles shyly. She almost throws up hearing what she just said. Fate? Coincidence? Ridiculous! But she has to make him believe in that; believe in how amazing their fate is.

“I don’t believe in fate but I think I start changing my mind.” – He smiles, handsomely at her.

Yes, he should, he better believes in it. She worked too hard to set that “fate” up.

She smiles at him in response, sweeter than honey. He likes that smile of her since the first time they met. Her smile is so innocent, so sweet that he can’t have enough of it. He has wanted to knock on her door all week long to see her, to make her smile again but he didn’t mainly because his girlfriend stuck close to him the whole week. Even God is on his side, now he can see his beautiful Goddess every day needless making any excuses. He has to watch out for his girlfriend who is also working at the same company but the thrill only makes it better. Even though he plans to settle with his current girlfriend but meeting Ji Hyo makes him want to change his mind. She somehow fits his ideal style perfectly. She is pretty, innocent, smart, and sport enthusiastic. She even seems too good to be true but he is too blinded from her. He believes in the existence of the girl that she creates. He never can expect that behind that sweet innocent smile is the hell that await for him to fall in.

She will make sure he falls in that hell. She will push him down there, if necessary. Because it is where he beongs to …