Chapter 20 - The truth?

Revenge

The drive home is much longer than the drive to the beach earlier. The deadly silence is scary. Jong Kook phone keeps on ringing. Some from Go Ara, some from his father but he doesn’t pick any call up. He lets it ring. He doesn’t want to deal with either of them at this moment. Right now he is still sorting through his thoughts, trying to make a conversation with the woman he loves but his brain is blank. There are too many things that he needs to ask but he doesn’t know when to start. He takes some glances at her but only catches her sad eyes looking at some dark vague space. She seems too lost in her thought. What is she thinking about? – He wonders. He never seems to be able to figure her out. He was very close to her just a few minutes earlier but now … he is so far from her again. They are sitting next to each other but it feels as they are separated by Pacific Ocean. He can see her, very well, but he can’t touch her, can’t pull her to his side. She is drifting too far away. Why does she have to build such a distance?

They finally arrive in front of her apartment building.

“Thank you.” – She softly says and steps out of the door.

He rushes out of his car. He plans to chase after her who is rushing inside the building. But he decides to stand still, next to his open car door, looking at her back furthering from him

“Why?” – He yells after her. He needs at least an explanation, the one that she has never wanted to give him. He knows there has to be more than just because he is her boss. Why can’t she tell him? If he knows the real reason, he may be able to move on, just maybe …

She stops her step from surprise. Her eyes are sad, she is about to cry but she takes a deep breath with both her nose and . She tries to calm her painful heart down then turns around, looking at him. She wants to give him a cold stare but it isn’t easy. Her eyes are miserable. His heart sinks looking at those beautiful gloomy eyes of hers.

“Because we met at the wrong place and the wrong time. If you are not you and I am not me, thing would be different.” – Her voice cracks. A big plump chokes . Tears are about to roll out. She has to go. She turns around and walks straight inside the building, before he can talk, before he can chase after her.

Her answer doesn’t give him any clarification. Now he only has more questions than answers. Why does she always have to be so mysterious? Why does she always make him want to know more about her? Does the fact that they can’t change who they are mean they can’t be together? Just what is wrong about who he is and who she is? They are perfect for each other from appearance to family economy. Then why? Why can’t they be together? He sighs tiredly and gets back to his car. He probably will have a sleepless night again …

She is in no better shape than him. Her heart is also painful. It is so hard to control all her tears. It would be so nice if she didn’t have a heart. So she can act according to her brain and not be distracted by her emotional heart. Then her revenge will be much easier. The elevator ride tonight seems to be 10 times longer than normal. There is not enough air in this small box for her to breath. She feels suffocated. Her chest aches so much. She feels as dying.

Finally, the elevator doors open. She tiredly walks to her unit. She needs to lie down. Her body is too weak. She can’t even stand straight anymore. But heaven doesn’t allow her to end her day in peace. From a far, she already sees Jin Hyuk standing in front of her door and his face is not at all happy. She is not ready for this. Her brain is exhausted. She takes a deep breath, tries to force a smile as she standing in front of him.

“What are you doing here?” – She softly asks

He looks at her, eyes angry – “Where were you?” – His voice is husky.

She should expect this reaction from him. He of course witnessed the hot crazy dance earlier between her and Jong Kook and his head probably smoked with anger. However, her energy is seriously low, she isn’t sure if she can be able to put on the act in front of him tonight. She tries to curls her lips to a soft smile – “It’s late. You look tired. Let’s talk tomorrow, okay?” – She says and unlocks her door. Everything can wait, she needs a rest now.

“Why didn’t you answer my question? I asked you where you were.” – He yells, he loses his cool, his patient. He has been waiting for her 2 hours in front of her apartment. His head went wild imagining what might happen between her and Jong Kook. He called her for a thousand times but her phone kept going straight to voicemail. He can’t stand the thought of her being with another man, especially Kim Jong Kook. He is hurt and jealous. He even left the party early even though Min Hee kept on complaining. He was desperate seeing her. For the first time ever, he is afraid of losing a girl.

She stares at him, angry. She doesn’t have the will the deal with the drama right now. She will quit playing nice for the night – “Why are you yelling at me? Do you know what time is it? What if the neighbors wake up?” – She says, coldly.

He is in shock. He has never seen this side of her before. Suddenly, she becomes a stranger, as he has never known her before. – “I’m sorry. I just … worry. Can we come inside and talk?”

She exhales sharply, seems as she doesn’t have a choice – “Fine” – She promptly says and opens the door for both of them.

They sit on the couch. Both are quiet for a moment.

“What is the relationship between you and CEO Kim?” – He asks.

She takes a breath in. This is the last question she wants to be asked. What kind of relationship between her and Jong Kook? – “Nothing.” – She answers and it is the truth. There is nothing between her and Jong Kook, there is no name for the relationship between them.

“Then what with the dance earlier? Why did he choose you? And why were you two so intimate?” – He loses his temper again.

She sighs tiredly. This is seriously not a right time for this drama. She is about to lose her patient as well – “How can I know why he chose me? I was surprise too. And it was tango, of course it is intimate but it was nothing more than a dance.”

He suddenly turns around and grabs her shoulders firmly – “don’t lie to me. I saw the way you two looked at each other. It was more than just a dance.” – He screams.

Now she seriously loses her cool. She hates violent guy the most. She doesn’t like to be yelled at. She aggressively pushes his hands away from her shoulder. – “Then what about you and Min Hee?” – She stares at him, angry.

He is in shock, staring at her in surprise. How can she know about him and Min Hee? – “What … what do you mean?” – He stutters.

“How long more do you want to play this game with me? Do you think that I am an idiot not knowing what is going on between you and Min Hee? You are dating her too, aren’t you?” – She screams, frustrated. She doesn’t want to pull out this card so soon but she seriously lost all her patient.

He is in the mist of confusion. Does she really know everything? His first instinct tells him to lie. – “What are you talking about? There is nothing between me and Min Hee. I only love you. You know that, right?” – He lowers his voice.

She smirks – “Please stop treating me as a fool. Min Hee told me everything. She didn’t know that we are dating so she even asked me to keep an eye on you.”

Jin Hyuk goes from one surprise to another. He is totally confused now. – “What … what do you mean?” – He stutters.

“It was ironic that I became friend with Min Hee before working at the company. I only knew that you were dating her after we became neighbor. I wanted to stay away from you since you were her boyfriend but …” – She is choked, pretends to be choked to be exact. She buries her face to her knees, trying to squeal out some tears – “But I was falling too deep for you. I accepted to be your girlfriend even though he knew you had a girlfriend. I am such a terrible person.” – She cries. She even surprises of her acting. She can’t believe that she is actually sobbing right now. Well, maybe those tears are the result of the frustration earlier that she held up in front of Jong Kook. At last she can put her tears in use.

He feels guilty – the word that has never been in his dictionary. This is not the first time he dates two girls at once but this is the first time he feels guilty, seeing Ji Hyo crying. His heart sinks down to his stomach. He hurts her and he feels terrible. He crosses his arm over her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. – “I’m sorry. You are not a bad person, I am. I am too greedy and I am hurting you. I’m really sorry, Ji Hyo ah.”

She smirks with her face is still buried in her knees. He sounds sincere; she doesn’t know that a player as him can be sincere. Seem as her act is rather effective. She moves her head to his chest. – “So what are you planning to do about us? Do you plan to keep on dating both girls at the same time?” – She sobs

He pulls her tighter to his, his right hand softly caress her hair – “Ji Hyo ah, you know I love you right? I know it will sound as I am a bad guy but I can’t leave Min Hee now. I need her a little more until my position in the company more stable. You know she is chairman’s daughter right? If I break up with her now, I will lose everything. Just be a little more patient. I am doing this for our future. I will be able to take a better care of you when I get a better position. You know that right?”

She smirks. Just as expected, he has explanation for everything. His words are sweet. She would definitely fall for it if she is any normal girl. Unfortunately, she knows him too well but she will play along with him for now. She also doesn’t want him to break up with Min Hee yet. The fun still hasn’t reached its climate. – “Then when? How long more do I have to wait? I want to be with you without hiding and sneaking behind Min Hee back.”

He softly kisses her hair – “Not too long. I have a plan. Just trust me. Can you?”

She sneers. Seem as he does have a plan, she doesn’t have to try too hard to destroy those two. They will destroy each other just fine. For now, she will continue her pitiful girlfriend act.

“Are you sure?” – She softly asks, snuggling in his chest.

“Of course.” – He caresses her, softly.

She smirks, satisfied