Chapter 1 - Pilot

Revenge

“Unnie,

I’m sorry that I have to say goodbye to you over a letter. I don’t have enough courage to say goodbye to you in person, unnie. I am such a bad sister. I should listen to you and come back to the States but I decide to stay here for that man. I love that man too much that I chose him over you, the only family that I have left. I guess that’s why heaven punish me now.

 That man left me for my best friend. How did they do that to me unnie? Two people that I love and trust most betray me. I was suffocated seeing they kissing each other. When I confronted my best friend, she didn’t even feel apologetic. She told me that it was because I was stupid. She said it was all my fault because I introduced him to her in the first place.

 Was it really my fault unnie? Was I really stupid to trust my best friend that much? I can’t even breathe anymore unnie.  I’m so tired of this life. Why everybody lie unnie? I love that man so much. He is my reason to live. Now he gone, I don’t have a reason to stay in this world anymore. I have to go unnie. Only death can stop my misery heart.

 I am sorry that I am leaving you in this world all by yourself. Our parents passed away when we were young and you did so well to take care for both of us. However, I never did anything to appreciate you. I am so bad right unnie? I’m so sorry. I will make up for you in my next life but this life, I just can’t this life, unnie.

Goodbye my beloved sister.

I love you.”

That letter is all she has left from her sister. Tear marks are still visible on that letter. Her sister must be devastated writing those last words. She took the soonest flight to get back to Korea after the phone call from the police. However, she is still too late. Now she is standing in front of her sister cold body inside the police station. She shakes her sister’s body so many times but her sister doesn’t response.

She is devastated. Tears can’t stop falling from the corner of her eyes. – “Why did you do silly thing like that, Sung Eun ah. What about unnie Sung Eun ah? How can you leave me like that Sung Eun ah?”

Even the police officers can’t hide their emotion witnessing the devastated woman in front of them. They try to comfort her but she doesn’t seem to be able to hear or see anyone. In front of her is her only family member left who is also leaving her to a faraway place. She can’t accept that fact. She can’t accept her sister death. A half of her soul is gone together with her sister. She is devastated and angry. She is not angry at her sister but at the people that drove her sister to suicide. Those people have to pay the price. She will make sure they pay for what they did. Both of them, once day, will taste the feeling of what they did to her sister. That day will be very soon.

Leaving the police station, she goes straight to her sister apartment. She and her sister actually lived in America since they were young. After their parents passed away, their grandparents who also passed away a few years ago from a car accident, adopted them and took them to America. They both grew up well. She was smarter than her sister so she graduated from Yale while her sister only graduated from a local university. That university was also the place her sister met her boyfriend who was an international student from Korea. She never met her sister’s boyfriend because at that time she studied away from her.

By the time she graduated her Master degree, her sister already moved to Korea to stay with her boyfriend. At that time her sister was very happy, always told her how much that man loved her. She was happy for her sister to finally find a good man. She thought that love would last forever. However, there is really no forever in this world. That man, despite that fact that her sister left America, left her family for him, still at the end, betrayed her. That man definitely paid the most expensive price. Together with that woman, the one that so called herself her sister’s best friend, because of a man, betrayed her sister. That woman definitely can’t escape from punishment.

She walks into her sister apartment with the landlord’s master key. That place is full of her sister and that man picture. He is a handsome man, no wonder her sister fell for his charm. There is a girl in many pictures of them, she guesses that girl is her sister’s best friend. That girl does look pretty. Why is such a pretty girl like that have such an ugly heart?

She sits down at her sister’s desk, a pen is still there. That is probably where her sister wrote the letter. She touches that pen, that desk, trying to feel her sister. A tear can’t help but escape from her eye. She looks around, her sister place is full of lovely memory of her and that man. No wonder her sister was that devastated. How could her sister handle the betrayal, living in a place like this? Her sister place was like an altar of their love. Those lovely memories probably drove her sister crazy.

She stands up, takes those pictures the wall and throws it violently to the floor. Glass shatter all over the place but it is not enough to calm her anger down. She takes out those pictures from the frame, carelessly that her fingers are cut by the broken glasses. Blood spreads out but she doesn’t care. She only focuses on tearing those pictures apart aggressively. She tears that man face to pieces.

She found her sister diary on a draw. Her sister liked to record everything in her daily life on the diary. She opens it, reads it page by page and can’t stop crying. It likes watching a live TV on her sister life in Korea. Everything about her sister, the boyfriend, and the best friend are written carefully in that diary. That man name is Choi Jin Hyuk and her sister best friend name Kim Min Hee. All three of them work at the same company that Kim Min Hee’s  father is chairman – Kim financial corporation. Choi Jin Hyuk is financial session chief and Kim Min Hee is marketing section chief.

In the diary, never even once her sister suspects Choi Jin Hyuk and Kim Min Hee. Her sister trusted them 100 percent. The diary is full of good words about those two cruel people. Her sister was too pure and innocent, always saw the best in people, and probably never expected those two animals did dirty things behind her back. How did they betray a good person like that?  

After a few days, her sister body is returned to her. She makes a funeral for her sister at a good funeral house. She tries to call her sister’s boyfriend and the best friend to inform about the funeral. She hopes to see them come and visit her sister for the last time and show a little bit of regret so she can have an excuse to forgive them but no, they never show up. The funeral lasts for 3 days but she is the only in that funeral, sitting soullessly beside her sister altar.

Those two really have no humanity left in them. They are worse than animal. Her anger keeps building up every times she looks at her sister’s picture. The last day, before the funeral end, she stands next to her sister coffin, looks at her the last time. – “Sung Eun ah, rest in peace ok? Unnie will make sure to bring you justice. Whoever hurt you once, I will hurt them 1000 times more. I will make them suffer so much that they wish they can just die.”

The next day, she goes to a detective agency.

“How can I help you miss?” – A middle age man stands up from his messy desk and greets her.

“Are you a detective here?” – She asks

“Of course, how can I help you?”

She taks out the picture of Choi Jin Hyuk and Kim Min Hee from her purse – “I want you to follow those two people for a month. They both work at Kim Financial Corporation. I want you to report to me their habit, their daily activity, where they like to shop, what they like to eat, everything you can find about them in detail.”

“Hehe it is not a problem but it takes a lot of time so I will need good pay you know?” – The detectives says.

She throws a stack of money on his table. - “Is it enough?”

His eyes wide open looking at the money – “Of course it is.” – He says while counting the money.

“Great. I expect a good result from you.” – She says then walks out of the detective office.

 At Kim Financial Corporation headquarter, CEO office,

“CEO, the candidate that you want to interview is here.” – The secretary reports to the CEO who is working on the report.

“Great, please let her in.” – He tells, eyes still on the computer.

The secretary comes back in the office after a few minutes together with her.

“Annyeonghaseyo” – She politely bows at the man on the chair who she supposes is CEO.

“Annyeonghaseyo” – He looks up at her and smiles – “Please sit down” he signals her to the chair.

“Thank you.” – She says then sits down on the chair across from him.

“My name is Kim Jong Kook. Nice to meet you.” – He offers a handshake

“My name is Song Ji Hyo. Pleasure to meet you.” – She shakes his hand, firmly.