Day When It Began to Fall Apart

Days of Ours
 
 
Kai had suddenly felt the cold feet, thirty minutes approaching his turn in backstage. All the things he knew he had his bare, and that was all he could swap in the thoughts, looking to his right then left where the applicants surely had their own style of dancing and clothing. He chose to be in his regular black sweatshirt and pants, where the guy in his side was topless contrasting another one aside with the suits and bowtie. He peeked through curtain to the stage and at front, spectators began to filling up the seats one by one— that’s the thing about open audition though— yet he hasn’t found who he was hoping to see.

 

Sehun came almost late, daunted a turtleneck beneath his denim outer, passing more or less crowd inside the theatre. Thankfully, Chanyeol had secured a seat to the younger next to him, Suzy and Baekhyun. The four of them were lining a bit to the back, because that was they sort of planned to— so that, Kai wouldn’t get their appearance when he was doing the routine.

“Baek, what’s that in your, bag?” Sehun pointed the leathery stuff on the older’s armrest, when he was letting loose the jacket before snatching the cola on Chanyeol’s grip, which apparently was Suzy’s.

Baekhyun flashed the crumpled thing, whereas he was folding it to fit into the carrier. It was a banner he had specially made to Kai, complemented with beautifications, everyone knew it was made by Baekhyun. And he recently dyed his hair to strawberry blonde— mainly for this special occasion— said the metallic color was starting to bore him.

“And you still wonder why Kai has never told you about this, even for such long time you guys have been friends…" Sehun snorted.

Yah… Chanyeol didn’t know either—“

The talked about giant stopped the act of fulfilling the thirst as his big eyes widened when getting it back from the younger, he spoke over the straw. “But I don’t live with him 24/7 and not knowing about this thing, calls a lifetime-greatest-passion. Have you ever considered someone else living other than yourself?”

Sehun was ecstatic, laughing and clapping like a seal whilst catching Chanyeol’s answer of what he actually had begun.

“ you guys.”

Baekhyun was eventually wounded and braced his sad expressions onto the next seater. There was Suzy on it, who was just curving the edge of her lips. This kind of jokes have always been timeless in their range of group. She was normally guffawing and sometimes jumping in, whenever they were having this type of discussion. Especially when the target was Sehun or Kai, because those two were the ones who enjoyed to debate her the most. And speaking of Kai, she was kind of been silent for the whole day because she was feeling nervous on behalf of his audition.

 

Weird enough, huh?

 

Maybe since she was the one who initiated this, and she was the only one he knew that knew about this. She pondered of how he would react if he observed they were coming to support him.

 

Most people spent their time of twirling, pirouetting and even krumping, not more than five minutes in total on stage. And it’s like seventy percent of them were getting off it, a bit disappointed when the five judges in front of the center stage decided that they would not be enrolling by the time. That some people had their own supporting system, picking their chin up high after leaving the stage. Suzy noticed some of them were standing near the stage and seating gap.

 

The hustle bustle on their line of armed chairs got hushed when they hear the announcer has stated the name that they were so familiar of— at least Kai used his abbreviations in their group chat.

“Number one zero one, Mr. Jong In Kim, please take the spot on stage—“

Chanyeol clings to Sehun who was twining his arm naturally to the giant when they saw Kai was entering with his all black clothing, Suzy and Baekhyun did quite the same at the other side. The tanned young man was clearly not spotting their appearance as he was taking a few seconds of his introductions before bowing to the judges. But then, Kai had giving the signal to stop the music when it was rolling for about three seconds. He was having abrupt nerves and back facing the stage. One of the judge stated they could wait for some ticks, whereas Suzy could see him letting a loud breathe before she went to the lower steps, leaving the current seating.

“Sooj—“

“Hey, Bae… Where are you going?”

She directed a thumb to Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s pry, and gazed at Sehun, she already was rushing to the below, to be closer to the stage.

As the luck would have it, Kai was walking around the stage, hands on the hips with his hood covering the raven-haired when he’s been aware of the sight. He gave her the what-are-you-doing-here stare, although he could not hide the sudden grin once he observed that it was really her.

She mouthed, “You can do it.”

“Are you done taking your time?”

One of the staff asked Kai, and he was directly was on his spot again, as he raised his one arm for the track to begin playing.

 

And suddenly, the whole room has been in still when Kai had starting his routine. It was like each person was getting of what he was trying to interpret through the moves. Not that strong compared the earlier participants’ hip hop dance and locking, or not as soft and gentle like the set of ballet sequences. It was contemporary, with mostly piano sounds on track, and if you were taking note, the moves showed lots of settled habit and how easily broken you were when starting to lose it, translated from the song’s lyrics. It truly was a good a minute and half before one of the people in panel stopped the music.

“Alright, Mr. Kim… We’re expecting to see you this fall.”

“Really?” Kai spoke with high-pitched voice while still fixing his sweat hood.

The seemed 40-something-year-old man with glasses— you can tell if you were there that he was the head of the panel— lowered his glasses to look once more to the young man on stage. “Yes, unless you change your mind.”

“No, no! I’ll definitely come and join your programs… Thank you so much! Thank you—”

Not even he finished thanking his future lecturer, Kai heard an uproar came from the upper side of the audience seating. Baekhyun’s ‘I HEART KAI’ banner was the first thing he spotted. While the next were Chanyeol’s constant whistling and Sehun’s claps whereas shouting ‘Kim Jongin, Kim Jongin’. And Suzy, was the first he squeezed when nearly dashed as getting off the stage.

 

 

Later in much late afternoon that day,

 

Chanyeol_is_Real             : If there’s one easy thing that is so damn hard to ask from you guys

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Can someone be on time at least once?

Chanyeol_is_Real             : ONCE im just asking ONCE

Suzy Bae                             : Oppa I have said that I need to meet some of my colleagues first for the project

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Not you these other ing three

Suzy Bae                              : Okay im not gonna make you mad at me if youre this scary

ohbubble                            : Told you should come to Baek’s place rather than gorging yourself

Chanyeol_is_Real             : I came to Kai’s audition after class I need to change my morning clothes

ohbubble                            : I came from my place with my morning shenanigans 2

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Sehunnie just shut up and come here

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Im frickin starving

ohbubble                            : Can you please order the usual set of fried chicken and coleslaw?

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Really sehunnie?

ohbubble                            : and cold beer please

Suzy Bae                             : Sehun-ah im not gonna do this if I were you

ohbubble                            : Yah im going to be there since minutes ago I’m ready but Kai was still napping

ohbubble                            : Its his day n how could u leave him to the best fried chicken place in town

ohbubble                            : Its like u left me to buy bubble tea

Suzy Bae                             : And we’re not gonna hear anything from you till the next xmas if we ever done that

Suzy Bae                             : Yeah we all know that rule

Bacon Lover                       : Do you know how hard it is to make him comes back to life after nap?

ohbubble                            : Yup baek is now getting his phone after the struggle

Chanyeol_is_Real             : I ordered the usual stuff you guys love

Chanyeol_is_Real              : The last person arriving must pay for us all

Suzy Bae                             : Then it will be me not fair

Chanyeol_is_Real             : No bae just the 3 of them

Bacon Lover                       : Hey wheres Kai?

Chanyeol_is_Real             : R u expecting me or Bae to answer?

ohbubble                            : Baek ure still with him in the room after shower

Bacon Lover                       : No I’m in my room brushing my hair

Bacon Lover                       : Sehunnie ure in the living room do you see him in any way

ohbubble                            : No I ate some oranges and just washed my hands

KJI_88                                  : Yeol wait 4 me im already downstairs tho

KJI_88                                  : Its Baek or Sehun whos gonna pay, right?

ohbubble                            :

Bacon Lover                       : YOU

 

 

Kai was the last to arrive, as he let the racing Baekhyun and Sehun— who were shoving each other while literally running— and actually were passing him while casually walking through the entire three blocks to their destination. He intended from the beginning that the early dinner was all going to be on him, as the ‘thank you’ for supporting his recent succeeded audition. Even though both of them were laughing, foolishly, at him when he entered the eating place. Chanyeol had merely shaking his head as he was welcoming Kai and he knew about this treat.

 

Chanyeol and Sehun were on the counter, ordering banana splits and brownie with vanilla ice cream for their desserts. Leaving Baekhyun and Kai on their table, whereas the tanned younger noticed that the older seemed having something to discuss with him.

“What?” He said, sipping his smoothie from the tall glass.

Baekhyun was kind of shaking his head while smirking, “No, Kai… It’s just… I’m so proud of you today,”

“Don’t lie to me, Baek.” Kai responded fast as handing some of the leftover french fries on the older’s plate across him.

“No, I’m dead serious about that.” He made a cross sign within his woolen covered chest.

“And then, what else?”

Baekhyun could not avoid the squint Kai made when he was clearing his fries.

“Okay, if that’s what you want,” Baekhyun turned his look in flash to the two at further sight, then resuming, “I think you should talk over to those two of what happened between you and Sooj.”

Kai raised one of his brows, “Baek, I know what I’m doing and I actually intend to… But,” he took another sip of his fruity drinks, “It’s not like something great happened between us…”

“But, it is going to…”

“No, Baek— hey, how could you say that?” Kai pointed Baekhyun with his straw. “Did she ever tell you anything else, beside the, uhm…” He coughed suddenly and his ears were red, he could feel it. “The kiss?”

Baekhyun simply grinned, “Not really, but… It’s not my part to match you two up, come on… You’re grownups! Or, should I?”

“No… I got this— and I should tell them first, I think,“

“Who should you tell and about what?”

Chanyeol cut it when he was back to his seat next to the petite buddy and Sehun’s was next to Kai.

“Uh,” Baekhyun had stiffened out of the blue as Kai was trying to catch up with the vibes, so that it would not be that awkward. But, couldn’t it be less than that?

“Well,” Kai cleared up the smoothie upon continuing, “We all know we attracted to this one particular person in our group.”

He never was a person who fancied much titter tale. Kai realized he received these sudden negative stares from both his side and crossways spots, Sehun and Chanyeol.

“So, you’re admitting it, right now?” Chanyeol replied, sort of coldly. “You’re in for the game that we already into for months away before you—“

“ Yeol… It’s not a game.” Albeit, the coldest gaze award should have been passed to Sehun, who was folding his arms upon the ribcage. “And if you’re talking of how long, I must stop you right here, right now.”

“Yeah, Sehun… But, can I ask what have you ever done for the whole years? None, okay… And we all do compete for this, and it is now for quite a long time.”

Baekhyun raised his small hand, “I’m already have gotten over her… It’s just you guys—”

“But then, you’re taking his side?”

Chanyeol directed his forefinger to Kai where he knew the buddy had talked to him earlier.

“Park Chanyeol!”

Kai was about to resolve the heated argument between Baekhyun and Chanyeol when he sensed that Sehun had frozen up next to him. And when he looked up, there was Suzy, standing a couple feet away from their table.

“Did you listen—“

“About whatever you guys are competing in? I lost my appetite thanks to it.”

Suzy cut Kai’s question before she turned away leaving the place. He had already on his feet but it was too late as he hesitated for a while, and then not directly go over her.

Well done, guys…”

Sehun was still on his steady position and seemed referring it to Chanyeol and Kai, who wanted facepalmed himself upon this unexpected incident. He could hear some curses, like ‘ it’ from the giant crossways. Who was later taking off his baseball cap and rustled his hair, saying,

“I’m so into her since the first time… It’s love at first sight—“

Oh, shut up… I’m the right person, I’ve known her best.”

“Guys, guys…” The outspoken appeared still having much sense to seize their dispute and suggested of doing what they should by this precise time, “Save everything for later, okay? Right now, we need to get her and explain what actually happened…”

And then, there’s this one soul who quickly ran off just to find her.

 

They began striving for the one pretty girl that all of them truly cared so much about.

 


 

A/N: Bae, please don't cry... :(