Day When The Two Merely Get Along

Days of Ours
 
 

The sun had rose when Suzy dragged her foot to the bathroom. Washing up, brushed her teeth, then finally rinsed the facial fair-skinned. Her choice of denim jacket to cover the broken white long-sleeve, distressed jeans and Doc Martens, seemed will be matched her favorite black satchel. It went along with everything though, she spoke within her head. By less than twenty minutes, she was all set and ready to go downstairs meeting someone who waited her outside the building.

Kai was tucking his hands to the navy jersey jacket, his yawning was quite emerging since the first few minutes he has been expecting for her on the side road. She was there in the next five.

“Oh… You look very much alike your sister, Mr. Bae…”

“Excuse me?” She questioned, after finished making a bun from her tying hair.

He regarded at her head to toe, indicating to the much boyish clothing she wore that morning.

She scoffed, “I wear what I consider comfy, okay?”

“You sure are as grumpy as your sister, too…”

He said that as they started to walk alongside one another. The place where they agreed to meet Baekhyun’s acquaintance was still around three blocks away from there, and they sort of have a half hour left to when it has been arranged. She was taking her iPhone out from the carrier when he eyed her, wondering why she didn’t respond he last spoken.

“We haven’t mentioned about your superb dancing skill in our group—“

“No, no…” His still sleepy eyes then went wide open, “Omo, Bae Suzy-ssi! You look effortlessly stunning even in boys— I mean, rockin chic attires— It’s like a scene from the VMA red carpet.”

She mocked his false compliment, he couldn’t counter it. Because she could spill the tête-à-tête to everyone, that was from the voice inside his mind. He faked a smile, to her, though it was from ear to ear.

“I’m hungry…”

“I haven’t had any breakfast…” That’s when he identified the much famous breakfast spot in the block. “Do you want bagel?”

“Uh… I love this place’s cream cheese…” She directed to the window of the shop they passed by. Then, she looked at him, “What do you want to have?”

“I’ll have the plain and coffee.”

However, none of them was initiating to make the order. They both frowned, indeed glaring at each other, and when the universe thought of having some peace from these two, another argue of the day was arising.

“You, go…” He motioned her to walk in, “You’re the one who said you were hungry.”

“But, you talked about the bagel.“

“So that, you will buy it for us. Here’s my money.”

He handed her some cash, thus she withstand.

“I already type the dancer word on my phone, in our group chat.”

“One cream cheese bagel is coming right up!”

He was the one who went to the shop, even making the breakfast on-the-go as his treat. He was all looking contented by the time he exited and handed her the order.

“What? Did you hit on a gorgeous girl there?” She asked as taking the first bite.

“No, the place owner was so nice… I even get his number— see this—“

He took out his phone from pocket, and showed it to her.

“I didn’t expect you desire guys over girls.”

“It is for my reference.” He pulled it off her view, not wanting to give a look anymore. “In case… I need another job there.”

“Oh…”

Both of them later finished the take-outs as they keep moving to the destination.

“Um… Can I ask you a question?”

“About what?” He tossed the empty paper cup and used wrap to the garbage can, and then mystifyingly stare at her.

“I promise this will not annoy you. Seriously,”

“Okay, cool… Proceed.”

“Why do you have to do many jobs at this time?”

He raised an eyebrow, not really seeing this kind of question will come from her. He tucked his hands back to his pocket, similar to what she did with one, while her another was still holding the food.

“I messed around too much during my early years of college. In which I don’t actually have that much money. But, Lord have mercy, I used to work even when I was still at high school, back in Seoul. My savings put me up till I was able to come to this city…” He, then, glanced at her, “And thank God again, I met some very dead serious good friends.”

“Like Baek?” She asked, innocently, as well as focusing on him after finishing her munch.

“All of you… I mean, remember when you cook and make your place for all of us slumbering?”

She nodded and he was resuming.

“And if someday I ran out of bucks… Somehow I believe people like you will offer me the retreat.”

“Well, of course. Anything for my friend.”

“I know right… That’s why I should treasure my friends more than anything, you know—”

“Oh!”

“What??” He grasped his chest, surprised by her sudden squeal. “You scare me…”

“I feel bad for you buying me breakfast…”

Her somehow bluntness, actually made him wanted to crack a guffaw. Never once in more than twenty one years of his life, he ever met a girl, very cold and aloof at first, but in fact was completely virtuous. He merely chuckled and couldn’t take his watches off her as they were still marching through.

“Relax, it’s a piece of cake… And maybe next time, you can buy me something to eat.”

“Sure, how about lunch today? On me…”

“Well… I gotta get to work at 1, my co-worker changed shift with me— But, seriously, some other time, you owe me that lunch…”

She replied his frank smile with the quite similar one. Not so later, they perceived a young woman, identical by what Baekhyun gave them her picture, when arranging the entire thing. Very much English girl-type, dark blonde, probably taller than Suzy, Baekhyun mentioned on his text. She came with a few shopping bags. Appeared striking with her medium cream skirt, which matched well the knitted top, and darker boots. Kai elbowed Suzy right away as they approaching the subject. She knew the look he given the minute they seen her.

“Let me do this one, okay?”

“You go, then… I’ll be right behind you.”

She patted his broad shoulder when the girl noticed them walking closer.

“Byun Baekhyun’s friends, aren’t you?”

“Indeed… I’m Kai, and this is Suzy…”

She shook both of their hands.

“Alright, I’m Emma. And you’re the lad, so… Could you please take these—“

Suzy tried to hold her laugh when Kai rolled his eyes then gazed at her, before taking the things he suddenly should carry around. He didn’t assign to be a concierge by the moment. His friend then tried to get along with the miss.

“So, you’re exchanging student at the Tisch, I’m currently attending the drama major at CAS so—”

“I suppose Mr. Byun has told how I’m quite well-known.” She brushed her hair, “Shall we get going?“

At the time, she was the one who puckered her brows, gawking at him. She should fulfill the duty to show her around the undergraduates’ common hangout spots, nevertheless. The tour went for about two hours and they felt like they’ve been with the crème de la crème for almost a very long, tiring day.

 

KJI_88                                   : Baek, why didn’t you tell us that we’re dealing with such drama snob?

Bacon Lover                       : Well, she didn’t sounds that bad

Bacon Lover                       : Over the phone and chat.

Suzy Bae                              : She isn’t…

KJI_88                                   : Seriously?

KJI_88                                   : Enjoy the royal acting 101 you’ll receive from her when you meet her, again.

Suzy Bae                              : Omg, no thanks.

Bacon Lover                       : I’m sorry guys, really :(

ohbubble                            : Are you two still with the snobbish?

KJI_88                                  : No, I’m off to work now…

Bacon Lover                       : Hey, can anyone stop by to buy some extra groceries?

Suzy Bae                              : Just text me, Baek… My loft still a block away

Bacon Lover                       : You’re jjang!

ohbubble                            : Where are you, Suzy-yah? I’ll pick you up then we can go together

Chanyeol_is_Real             : Maybe I can help and go with you, Bae…

Chanyeol_is_Real             : I’m like just around the corner from where you are

ohbubble                            : I think you should just go to Baek’s instead and help preparing there

Chanyeol_is_Real             : But, it’ll take you like half hour to even seek a place to park your ride

Chanyeol_is_Real             : The Saturday’s traffic, crazy.

Bacon Lover                       : Why don’t you two just show up there?

Bacon Lover                       : Sooj need hands to bring the foodstuffs.

Bacon Lover                       : Problem solved.

Suzy Bae                             : Hey guys, I’m already at the store

 

Baekhyun was in his kitchen, chopping up some onions to make whatever he only knows, when Suzy, Sehun, and Chanyeol arrived at his apartment.

“It’s been two weeks we stay up in here to spend the days off.”

The tallest’s deep, persevering, voice bounded them when organizing the groceries.

“It’s never easy to make reservation on weekend, Yeol… And I just got back from a conference, tired.”

“Yes, and look at Sehun.”

The three of them peeked to the sprawling person on one of the house couch, over the counter, already slumbered. Most likely fatigued of driving a couple hours’ time, considering the rush-hour.

“He doesn’t even make a single noise.”

Chanyeol pondered while coming closer to the only girl who grinding the beef Baekhyun brought. The petite pal of his had previously rushed to the bathroom, leaving the two of them.

“He’s actually a baby.” She responded.

“Really?”

“Yeah… he’ll act as he the youngest from all of us… He shows that side of him, soon, as he always been.”

“What do you mean always?”

“He’s the youngest in his family—“

“Me, too…” He reacted whereas opening the canned tomato. “In fact, Baekhyun and Kai are as well.”

“But, I never met such whiny, and childlike, which I don’t see it from you guys.”

“But, really—“

“Seriously, ‘ohbubble’?”

He finally was agreeing with her.

“You seemed know him so well…”

“I’ve known him like all my life, Yeol…”

“I don’t know why I don’t like it when you call me that.”

“Really?” Her shimmery eyes then somehow looked sorry.

He shrugged.

“Then, what should I refer you as?”

“Um… How old are you? Be honest.” He jokingly aimed such big ladle at her.

“I’m 21… Well, soon-to-be.”

“Then, you can call me oppa.”

“Oppa?”

“I’m two years older, if you may know. And I like to be called as that…”

It just took a few seconds for him to entirely get her persuaded.

“Okay, then… Oppa… Chanyeol oppa.”

“It’s nice hearing it, especially from you.”

She couldn’t notice his very wide beam as too occupied of starting to sauté the ground ingredients.

 

“Sooj, you’re not going anywhere with your boyfriend?”

Baekhyun asked the only girl in the room, when they finished having their very late lunch in almost 4.00 pm. In some way causing Sehun who was doing the dishes, again, as he never participated in preparing the meal, and Chanyeol who looked up for the taffy from the storage, silently stopped their current activity. The tallest went back to the dining table once he attained the sweets.

“No… He said he has to go somewhere tonight, that’s why I was meeting him before I get to buy your groceries.”

“Ah…”

“But, wait… He just asks me if he can visit here for a while before going to this event he should be attending— see.“

She displayed her phone screen as reading it to the bright guy next to her.

“Sure, he should come here—“

That was when Baekhyun felt a splash of water hit right to his beautiful face.

“Sorry, man… I need to get these bad boys drying up…”

Sehun exposed his pale hands as he was leaving the sink, and Chanyeol was laughing his deep-toned along with it.

 

Around an hour later, they were having a guest, which they knew and sort of anticipated. The man was tall, about 6’2”, walked in graciously in long black coat, covering his white shirt and black trousers, also with a pair of flashy Loubs. He was like a walking mannequin. The facial features was divine, even with his very short hair, he was still looking fine. Statuesque, if another proper word needed to describe him.

“Hey, darling…”

The man pecked his girlfriend on the lips, right after she and the housemaster welcoming by the threshold. Leaving two other guys, looking disgusted, from the living space. They couldn’t hide it, but thankfully, only the two of them also noticing it.

“These are my friends I keep talking to you…”

“Yeah, she’s been so excited about you guys… Let me guess who is who…”

First, he was directing to the much tinier guy compared to him. “You must be Baekhyun.”

The bright guy grinned and quickly made their hands shaken. “And you are?”

“I’m Kris.”

They moved inside the apartment then.

“And you must be Chanyeol…” He motioned to the guy, who was not that tall being next to him. “And… Sehun, long time no see.”

“Hey…”

The palest was being his common cold self. And later, Baekhyun has always excelled of bringing people together. Their conversed much things, and hours spent they haven’t noticed.

 

Far along, a friend of Baekhyun, who came with Kai, joined their early evening get together. Josephine, who took the same major as the housemaster, and solemnly looking at the statuesque man. He smiled at her in flash, before all of them sat together in the living space.

 

“So, you’re Chinese but came from Canada… And how is that possible?”

Chanyeol was trying to be nice, even to someone he got the feels that he wasn’t really fond of. Well, he was a cheery soul, indeed.

“Chinese is my descent, but I lived in Vancouver, that’s how I attained the citizenship. And then, five years ago, I moved here, for work… Just a year before I met the girl I’m dating up till now…”

Kris was then wrapping his arm to the girl beside, before giving a light brush to her crown. Chanyeol was more distressed of seeing it right in front of him. He glanced to Sehun, who was folding his arms upon the torso and keep being silent.

“Kris, I swear I’ve seen you somewhere… Recently.”

A friend of Baekhyun and Kai, who preferred to be called as Jo, took up.

“Oh, really? I often get my morning booze from around—”

“No, it’s like I saw your face… Being displayed on something… Damn, where is it?”

“Maybe—” He glanced at his quiet girlfriend, who just raised one of her brows. “— In SoHo…”

He was then somehow flushed.

“Thank goodness, yes! That’s what I was trying to tell you earlier!”

She even shoved Baekhyun’s shoulder over her sudden excitement.

Oh, what else did you modeled for now?”

Sehun added, still sounded so cold. Chanyeol was the one who appeared not getting any of it.

“What is his face doing in SoHo?”

“It’s in the billboard, Yeol… That original shoes brand ad.”

He still looked confused even though Baekhyun assisted to answer. Then,

“Are you a model?”

Kris was generously bowed at Kai’s question. It never was that comfortable to talk this kind of stuff as someone who tried to appear as his normal self. Sehun then, signaled Chanyeol to have a word.

“Want another coke, Yeol?”

“Yeah…”

 

They both moved to the kitchen.

“How is it even possible for someone like him to exist?” The deep voice whispered to the pale ears. “He must have some weaknesses, huh?”

Oh, trust me, I’ve been looking for it, for years…”

“Did you find any?”

“Not a single one. Surprise much?”

Sehun’s flat tone thankfully did not make another person who trailed them sense curious.

“Hey, you guys!”

She nudged those two edges, making them somewhat jittery and quickly pretending to be calm by her sudden appearance.

“You must be gossiping about that girl...”

Thank God, Sehun and Chanyeol seemed having the same words spoken in their minds.

“She’s adorbs.”

The very low-toned was adding spice to the talks.

“You think so?” She asked, at the time. “I’m actually thinking to start pairing her up with Sehun...”

“Why me?” The subject was almost choked.

“Because you haven’t had any proper relationship.”

“None of your business.”

Both Suzy and Chanyeol chuckled watching his pout. Then, another addition came to their side.

“Hey, what are you guys doing here?” The tanned guy passed through in between the three, taking a bottle of water from the fridge. “It’s kinda rude leaving the guests and chatting on your own here.”

However, by that moment, he muttered something to Suzy when the other two were already marching together back to the living space.

“I don’t know that you’re a jealous-type of person...”

She stopped to turn around and looked at him. “I’m sorry, what?”

“You are...”

He smirked as picking up the drink then walked away, therefore she held by grabbing his hand.

“I’m not...”

“You’re raising your voice...”

“This is how I usually talk...”

“Tsk, tsk...” He was confidently lifting and swinging his forefinger.

“What make you so sure of it?”

He just answered by tilting his head to where the other mingled. Particularly to some point, they watched her boyfriend and the other girl were chatting and giggling on many things they talked.

“I’m not, okay?”

“You’re not okay??”

Kai raised an eyebrow by way of playing with the words she just uttered. But then, he eased Suzy as he wrapped her shoulder when they were returning to the others.