Round OO2- Turn Back the Pendulum

Just Because of A Facebook 'Like'

Ah Wei watched silently as Aaron pedalled away with Gui Gui clinging onto his back. He sighed and shrugged to himself.

“I guess I should let him win this time,” Ah Wei made a small smile. As he turned to walk to school, he spotted a figure suddenly dash behind a wall nearby. Ah Wei frowned and looked behind the wall.

“Ya Tou? What are you doing here?” He asked. Ya Tou flinched as she realised she had been caught.

“U-Uh, I....”

“You aren’t going to do something bad to Gui Gui, are you?” Ya Tou cast her eyes down onto the ground.

“So you still like her,” She murmered. Ah Wei stopped and stared at her in surprise.

“What?” He asked. Ya Tou quickly spun around and ran off.

“Forget it!” She yelled and left Ah Wei standing there, trying to grasp on what she meant.

 

~FLASHBACK~

TaiPei Kindergarten was where Ya Tou had first met Ah Wei. It was her first day there and she cried the whole day.

“Hey...” someone nudged her. Ya Tou sniffed and looked up, tears in her eyes. It was a boy her age with a bright smile on his face. The sunshine’s brightness was nothing compared to his smile. He squatted down to talk to her.

“Why are you crying?” He asked.

“B-Because m-my m-mummy le-left me h-here all b-by myse-myself,” Ya Tou cried between hiccups.

“She didn’t leave you,” The boy comforted her. “She will be back soon. Unlike my daddy, he won’t ever be back.” He laughed a little.

Ya Tou paused her sniffing.

“Wh-Why?” She asked. The boy smiled softly and looked up.

“Because my daddy is up there now,” He said. Ya Tou stared at him with her big glassy eyes.

“Y-You mean he can’t be with you anymore?” She asked.

“I guess you can say that,” The boy shrugged. This caused Ya Tou to wail and cry more.

“Aiya...I thought I told you to stop crying,” The boy said, wiping her tears away with his sleeve.

“B-But....” Ya Tou cried. “You can’t be with your daddy anymore!”

She continued crying and then the boy smiled a little but he was quivering too. He took a deep breath and blinked tears that were forcing to roll down his cheeks away and put a hand on Ya Tou’s shoulder.

“How about we have a competition?” He suggested. “We’ll see who can smile the most in a day. Winner gets a lollipop and a hug.”

Ya Tou stared at him weirdly but nodded. She wanted a lolly.

“What’s your name?” The boy asked.

“Y-Ya Tou...” She sniffed, the last of her tears drying up. The boy held out his hand.

“Nice name,” He said. “I’m Ah Wei, nice to meet you!” Ya Tou took his hand and shook it and then smiled a little bit.

“Ack!” Ah Wei said. “You’re already smiling!? That’s one to you but I can’t lose.” He grinned back. Not wanting to lose that lollipop, Ya Tou smiled again, this time showing her white teeth.

They continued on and on until the end of the day when Ya Tou’s mother came to pick her up.

“We’re both equal now,” Ah Wei said, flashing a smile and Ya Tou flashed another one back. “If it’s still equal by the time-“

“Ya Tou!” A friendly voice called. Ya Tou turned to see her mother waving at her.

“Mummy!!” Ya Tou smiled widely and ran to hug her mother.

“Dang,” Ah Wei muttered. “Beat me by one at the last second.”

“Oh,” Ya Tou’s mother said, spotting Ah Wei nearby. “And who’s this?” Ah Wei bowed.

“My name is Ah Wei, aunty,” He said. “It’s nice to meet you.” He then turned to Ya Tou, digging into his pocket and taking out a lollipop.

“Here, you win,” He said, handing it to her and then hugging her. “Good job Ya Tou.” Ya Tou’s eyes widened and she clutched the lollipop. When they pulled away, Ah Wei nodded.

“We can have more competitions tomorrow,” He said. “Bye bye Ya Tou!” Ya Tou beamed and waved back and then she went home with her mother. She felt really happy meeting Ah Wei and she wanted to be friends with him forever.

The next day, Ya Tou arrived to Tai Pei kindergarten with a smile on her face. She smiled even more as she saw Ah Wei.

“Ah Wei!” She called, waving. Ah Wei looked up and so did another little girl next to him.

“Good morning, Ya Tou!” Ah Wei greeted. He noticed Ya Tou staring at the girl next to him and grew flustered.

“Oh, I forgot to introduce you guys!” He said. “Ya Tou, this is Gui Gui, my friend! She was sick yesterday but she came back today!” Gui Gui bowed.

“It’s nice to meet you Ya Tou,” She giggled. Ya Tou bowed her head a little. Ah Wei grinned.

“Let’s go play now!” He said and the three of them went off together.

As they played sand castles and hop scotch, Ya Tou realised that Ah Wei always seemed to take care of Gui Gui a lot and seemed to double his smile around her. This made her feel a bit uncomfortable but she shrugged it off and tried to smile.

Then, one day Ah Wei moved away.

Ya Tou didn’t know until the teacher had told her. Ya Tou’s eyes grew wide and she immediately ran to the toilets and burst into tears. The lollipop wrapper she had kept for so long since they met crumpled in her hand as she sobbed.

“Why didn’t he tell me!?” She hissed to herself and then wiped her tears away and headed outside.

“AH WEI I HATE YOU!!” She yelled out to the open, not caring if he could hear it or not. He had abandoned her and he wasn’t going to come back.

 

~END OF FLASHBACK~

 

The first two periods for Gui Gui’s class was physical education with Ya Tou’s class. Everyone changed into their sport uniforms and headed to the gymnasium.

“Alright students,” Mr. Han said, crossing his arms and looking at the students. “Today for sport, we’ll be doing something a bit different. Yep, I brought along Miss Tan today and she’ll be teaching you partner dancing for today.”

Everyone groaned and looked at each other in discomfort. The teacher named Miss Tan came forward and clapped her hands to get everyone’s attention.

“Now, now everyone, we’re all old enough to know better,” She said. “Now, my name is Miss Tan and I’ll teach you partner dancing for the upcoming school festival for the end of the year.”

Everyone broke into a quiet and excited murmur along with some questions. Miss Tan frowned.

“Your homeroom teachers haven’t told you yet?” She asked then muttered something about teachers these days and quickly cleared .

“Anyway, girls, go stand in a straight line over there and boys over here,” She ordered. Everyone moved to where they were supposed to stand and soon the boys and girls were all standing in a straight line opposite each other.

“Good,” Miss Tan clapped. “Now please take one step forward.” Everyone did as they were told and Gui Gui found herself staring at Danson in front of her. He smiled.

Next to Danson were Jiro, Chun, Calvin and then Aaron who was opposite Ya Tou. Ah Wei was standing a few people away from Aaron.

“Now,” Miss Tan explained. “The person standing opposite you will be your dance partner. First, take their hand.” Gui Gui stared at Danson, hesitating.

“It’s okay,” Danson smiled. “I don’t bite.” He held out his hand and Gui Gui put her hand in it.

“Everyone done? Now, now students, don’t complain, we’re old enough to know better,” Miss Tan instructed. “Alright then, girls must move your feet like this and the guys will follow on like this.” She demonstrated and then went to the music player to start the music.

Everyone did as Miss Tan had demonstrated before and soon she stopped the music and faced the two classes again.

“Well done,” she said. “Now we’ll be doing something similar to before but still a bit different. After moving your feet like that, the boys will lift up their arm while holding the girls’ hand and the girls will twirl under and then move to the next boy on the left. Like this....”

Miss Tan took the arm of the boy standing the closest to her who happened to be Jiro and made him stand in front of her. Jiro made a sulking face as Miss Tan took his hand and he lifted his arm while she spun under it and moved to Mr. Han who was standing next to them. She turned to face the students.

“Just like that,” She explained and played the music again. Gui Gui danced with Danson and then as he lifted his arm, she twirled under and then found herself holding hands with Jiro.

“Hello,” He waved and smiled. Gui Gui smiled back and they continued to dance.

“I hope I don’t get someone bad next,” Jiro grimaced as he twirled Gui Gui around. “Oh my god, is that Selina with Danson? Dammit, why is my luck so bad!?” Gui Gui chuckled as she spun and then was caught by Chun.

“Hello...” Gui Gui meekly greeted Chun who just nodded. He never spoke much to Gui Gui so she felt a tad uncomfortable. Before Chun sent her sent her off, he looked at Jiro who seemed uncomfortable dancing with Selina and smirked.

“It’s a pity you can’t dance with food,” He suddenly said. As Gui Gui turned around under his arm and headed to Calvin, she blinked.

Chun really was quite strange.

“How’ve you been, Gui?” Calvin asked as they started to dance.

“I’ve been fine,” She smiled and suddenly found herself looking at Aaron who was dancing with another girl next to Calvin. Her heart suddenly started to beat faster.

Oh no...She thought. I think my heart is leaping out of my chest!!

Calvin raised his arm while holding Gui Gui’s hand and she reluctantly spun while Aaron grabbed her hand as Calvin let go. She froze.

“Good luck you two,” Calvin winked and Gui Gui found herself blushing. For some reason, when they danced, time seemed to slow down a lot. (A/N: I know, sounds cheesy ;___;)

“Why are you so nervous?” Aaron asked, even though he was feeling a bit nervous himself.

“I-I’m not nervous!” Gui Gui squeaked and suddenly stepped on Aaron’s foot. “S-Sorry.....”

Aaron smiled and they continued to dance until the music suddenly stopped and everyone turned to look at Miss Tan. She clapped her hands together.

“Alright, we’ll stop at this. Now the person you’re with right now will be your partner for next week’s lesson,” She announced. Aaron and Gui Gui looked at each other in surprise. Then, Aaron turned his head to look at Ah Wei who had somehow ended up with Ya Tou and was looking at the two of them.

Aaron gave Ah Wei a victorious smile.

Aaron: 2

Ah Wei: 1

 

~~

 

This update is for bubblygal who told me to update~~ kekekeke >.<

Sorry for the boring or -ish chapter!! There will be lots more coming next chapter :)

I was planning to fit it all in this chapter but I don’t want to make it too long OTL

Thank you for your comments!! Please leave some more after this chapter too! ^^