And Let The Games Begin

Just Because of A Facebook 'Like'

 

Aaron stared back at Ah Wei in bewilderment. What was this kid saying? Ah Wei simply just smiled back.
“So I guess that’s a deal then,” He said. Before Aaron could say anything, Ah Wei looked ahead.
“Hey look, there’s our classroom!” Ah Wei exclaimed and started running. “Come on, we’re late already!”
“Mr. Wei and Mr. Yan,” Mrs. Yu said, hitching her glasses further up the bridge of her nose as they both came in. “Give me a perfectly good reason why you two are late.”
“Sorry, miss!!” Ah Wei apologised. “I got kind of lost so Aaron helped me find my way back to our classroom!” Mrs. Yu cleared .
“Very well, I’ll let you two off,” She said. “But next time if you come late again I’ll give you a detention. Now go to your seats.”
As Aaron headed back to his seat, he spotted Gui Gui and he quickly looked away. 
No, no, no, no, no. He thought. I mustn’t get too caught up on what Ah Wei said. We’re just friends.
 
~~~
 
Despite thinking that, for the whole lesson Aaron didn’t seem to focus. 
“What would be the answer, Mr. Yan?” Mrs. Yu asked. Aaron snapped out of his thoughts and looked up.
“Umm....” He looked down at his book, not knowing what question she was talking about. Danson lightly nudged him.
“The answer is 12,” Danson hissed to him. 
“T-Twelve...” Aaron stuttered. Mrs. Yu raised an eyebrow. 
“Next time listen in class,” She said, turning back to the board again.
“What’s wrong?” Jiro whispered to Aaron. “You usually listen pretty well in class.”
“Nothing,” Aaron mumbled. 
Don’t get too caught up on what Ah Wei said, He repeated in his head. Don’t get too caught up.
 
~~~
 
Class seemed to drag on much longer than usual. When the bell finally rang, Aaron groaned and reached for his lunchbox. Despite telling himself over and over again to not think too much about Ah Wei’s words, it would still bother him.
“Gui, what do you have there?” Calvin asked, turning around from his seat to talk to her. Aaron froze where he was and didn’t turn around. 
“My mum packed me onigiri rice balls this morning,” Gui Gui sounded a little surprised herself. “Wow she packed too much...”
“Is it alright if I have one?” Chun asked shyly. 
“Oh of course,” rustling sounds could be heard as Gui Gui took out some and handed it to Chun. 
“I want some too!” Jiro said.
“Me too!” Soon, everyone was crowding around Gui Gui’s table, asking for onigiri except for Aaron.
“Hey Aaron,” Calvin turned around and called with his mouth full. “This stuff is great, come and have one!” 
Hesitating, Aaron was going to turn around until he suddenly heard a voice.
“Wow these are really great Gui!” Ah Wei said. “Can I go to your house on the weekends and we could make some?” 
“Oh,” Gui Gui replied. “Sure, I’ll ask my mum.”
“Well?” Calvin asked. “What are you waiting for?” 
“I’m not hungry at the moment,” Aaron mumbled, not giving them any eye contact. “You guys enjoy, I’ll just go get some fresh air.”
As Gui Gui watched him walk out of the classroom, she grew worried. He was acting way too strange these days.
 
~~~
 
Aaron walked along the halls for a while, dragging his feet on the ground. Suddenly Ah Wei’s words flashed in his mind again that made him stop and smack his head on his locker. 
People around him stared at him as he hit his head over and over again on his locker but he didn’t care.
Why am I so bothered by Ah Wei and whatever he says and does to Gui Gui!? Aaron screamed in his head. I only like her as a friend! I think I’ve turned crazy now!!
Sighing deeply, he stopped hitting his head on his locker and dragged his feet slowly back to class. 
The bell soon rang for class again. From where she was sitting, Gui Gui stared at the classroom door. When Aaron came back, he seemed even gloomier than before. 
“Class,” The science teacher, Mr. He announced. “Today we shall be testing our heart rates.” The whole class sat silently as the teacher explained what they had to do.
“Now I’ll be splitting all of you into pairs of two to do this activity,” Mr. He said, looking down at the class list. One by one, he called out names of students and put them into pairs.
“Wu Ying Jie and Aaron Yan,” Mr. He announced. Gui Gui looked across at Aaron who had a poker face on. She blew on her bangs.
This will be awkward.
 
~~~
 
“Okay,” Gui Gui said as they got together to do the heart rate activity. “So Mr. He said we’re supposed to sit calmly and peacefully and count how many times our heart beats in a minute. Then we’re supposed to run on the spot for three minutes and then count again. Got it?”
Aaron mumbled a yes and Gui Gui frowned.
“Seriously, what’s wrong with you today?” Gui Gui asked, staring at Aaron. She touched his forehead and he quickly jerked back, looking at her weirdly.
“Sorry...” Gui Gui mumbled. “I was just checking if you had a fever or not...jeez....”
“Let’s just begin the activity,” Aaron said, avoiding eye contact. “I’ll start first.”
Both of them sat down and Gui Gui took out her notebook to record the number of pulses Aaron counted in a minute. She looked down at her watch and told him to start counting.
Aaron put his hand on his heart to feel the pulse and he watched Gui Gui and she counted the time on the watch. Her bangs that were tucked behind her ear fell and swayed across her forehead as she looked down at her watch. Aaron had the sudden urge to help her tuck her hair behind her ear for her but he decided not to.
“Alright, one minute is up!” Gui Gui announced, snapping Aaron out of his thoughts. “How many pulses?”
“Um....27 pulses...” He said. Gui Gui stared at him.
“27?”
“Yeah.”
“Wow that’s really quick,” Gui Gui remarked. “Are you sure you’re calm and in peace right now?” To be honest, Aaron wasn’t sure himself.
“Let’s try again,” Gui Gui said. “Just sit there quietly and just, I don’t know, think about things.” Aaron nodded and tried again. As Gui Gui counted down, he studied her once again. Why was it that he’d overreact at every little thing that Ah Wei and Gui Gui would do together? Why did he feel so strange around her?
“And we’re done!” Gui Gui said, looking up to realise Aaron was staring at her. She flushed a bit pink.
“Wh-What?” She stuttered. Aaron smiled because he’d finally gotten his answer.
“Nothing,” He replied. “And I counted 28 pulses this time.” Gui Gui frowned.
“That’s still too fast! You must not be human!” She joked, glad that Aaron seemed a tiny bit back to normal. 
 
~~~
 
Ah Wei skipped down the hallway as the after school bell went. He wasn’t in the same science class as Gui Gui so he decided to wait outside the science room for her. 
Along the way, he didn’t look properly and bumped into a large sack of flour.
“Ack!” The flour yelped as it shook some flour out and almost dropped onto the floor if Ah Wei had not caught it. Ah Wei blinked in surprise to see who had been carrying the flour around. 
“Ya Tou?” Ah Wei said. “What are you doing carrying a big sack of flour around?” Ya Tou’s eyes widened as she saw Ah Wei and cursed.
“N-None of your business!” She hissed. “Now leave me alone!” 
“You’ve got a bit of flour on your nose,” Ah Wei said, chuckling while taking out a handkerchief and handing it to her. 
“Are you going to get out of my way or not?” Ya Tou scowled, despite having a small flush of pink across her face. 
“Ya Tou!” A girl suddenly called from a nearby classroom. “Mrs. Wang needs the flour now!” 
“C-Coming!” Ya Tou said, moving past Ah Wei. 
“Ya Tou!” Ah Wei called before she went inside the classroom. “About what happened a few years ago...I’m sorry.” Ya Tou stopped in her tracks but didn’t turn around. After a while, she bit her lip and went into the classroom, closing the door behind her. 
Ah Wei sighed and scratched the back of his head. After that, he shook it quickly and looked around for Gui Gui’s science class. Suddenly, a hand tapped his shoulder and Ah Wei turned around in surprise to see Aaron.
“About what you said this morning,” Aaron said carefully. “I didn’t agree to it properly but I thought it over.” Ah Wei smiled at him faintly.
“Really?” He asked. Aaron nodded and looked at him straight in the eye.
“Ah Wei,” Aaron declared. “I love Gui Gui too. Let the games begin.”
 
~~
Looong chapter update! xD
I don’t know if you can even call this long LOL OTL
I don’t seem to update much...I’m so busy all the time T^T
And right now when I’m typing this, it’s around 1:08am and I need my sleeps
Gui Gui says see you next time and be sure to leave a comment! ^^