The Dare

Just Because of A Facebook 'Like'

 

It was a hot day. Aaron plopped himself down on his favourite desk chair and swung himself around in boredom. There was nothing, ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING; he could do that was fun.

“Hey,” Danson said, waving over to Aaron. “Come and play *Spin the Bottle with us!” Aaron looked over to Danson and his other three friends, Calvin, Jiro and Chun who were all sitting in a circle on the floor. They looked like elementary school children.

“Seriously?” Was all Aaron could say. “Spin the Bottle is for GIRLS.”

“What?” Jiro teased. “Afraid that we will find out your darkest secrets? Afraid of doing a dare? Chiiiiccckkeenn!!” He started clucking and the other guys laughed. This got on Aaron’s nerves.

“I’m not!” He said, stomping over to them and joining the circle. “Try me!” Danson chuckled.

“Alright,” He said. “Let’s spin the bottle.” He handed it to Jiro who spun it. It landed on Calvin.

“Truth or Dare?” Jiro asked.

“Truth,” Calvin replied.

“Exactly how many girlfriends do you have right now?” Jiro asked him.

“…Many.” Calvin answered.

“Pffft,” Jiro said. “Many? I need the number of girlfriends, I know you’ve got many.” Calvin shrugged.

“Don’t know,” He replied. “I lost count ages ago.”

“So Calvin is going next now,” Danson said. “Spin the bottle, Calv.” Calvin spun the bottle and it slowly…slowly…stopped and landed on Aaron. Calvin smirked and leaned forward.

“Truth or Dare?” He asked.

Hmph. Aaron thought. Stupid jerks. I’ll show them!

“Dare!” He replied. Everyone stared at him for a while. Then they stared at each other. And grinned.

Aaron watched as they huddled together and discussed the best dare to give to him. When they came back, they all had broad smiles on their faces.

“Alright, Aaron,” He said. “Your dare is to create a page* on Facebook saying ‘If I get a thousand likes* I’ll date Wu Ying Jie’.”

Aaron blinked. The new girl? The really, really quiet one and the one that was way different from those other girls?

“I’ve already got a girlfriend,” Aaron said bluntly.

“Patty is overseas,” Danson said. “Plus she won’t be back in three months. It’s not going to be for that long!”

“Why Wu Ying Jie?”

“Because I think someone needs to spice up her life.”

“And why can’t you guys do that?”

“Because we dared you to.”

“I’m not going to do it.”

“Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chick-“

“ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, I’LL DO IT!”

Aaron yanked his laptop open and logged onto Facebook. I can’t believe I’m doing this, He thought, creating the page. Oh well, It’s not like I’m going to get a thousand likes anyway. It’s impossible.

After creating the page, he logged off and shut his laptop.

“There,” He said, turning to the guys. “I did it. Happy?” They looked at him gleefully.

Later that night…

Calvin held up the phone to his ear and grinned evilly.

“Hello?” He said. “Hey, there’s this really interesting page on Facebook saying ‘If I get a thousand likes, I’ll date Wu Ying Jie’. We’re trying to get a thousand likes. Please help us out.”

Then, he smiled.

“Great, thanks!” He hung up and dialled another number and held it up to his ear again.

~~~

The next day…

It was another hot day. Gui Gui Wu Ying Jie fanned herself as she sat by her laptop and logged into Facebook. There was nothing else to do so she looked at some of the pages.

Then, a title caught her eye.

If I get a thousand likes, I will date Wu Ying Jie.

She stared.

“…WH-WHAT!??”

She clicked on the page quickly and looked at the ‘likes’. There were 999 so far. She sighed.

That was a relief. She didn’t have to go out with this weird jerk. She scrolled up again to see who had made this page.

Aaron…Yan? He was that guy in her class that was always around with his friends. Half intrigued at why he would make a page like this, she clicked on his name.

Or so she thought.

Instead, she had accidentally clicked the ‘like’ button! Her brain froze for a moment and then reacted.

“C-CRAP!!” She yelled, moving her computer mouse. “DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE. DISLIKE.”

Gui Gui moved her mouse around in a panic, and by the time she clicked ‘dislike’, a friendly message appeared on the screen:

NO INTERNET CONNECTION

She gaped, mouth wide open. That meant that she didn’t get to ‘dislike’ it. That meant that she had done the 1000th ‘like’. That meant that she had to date Aaron Yan.

She howled.

~~~

Meanwhile on Aaron’s side…

It was yet another scorching hot day. Calvin strode up casually to Aaron.

“Say,” He said. “Shouldn’t we go check how many ‘likes’ you’ve got so far?”

“I don’t want to know,” Aaron grumbled.

“Hey look guys!” Jiro chortled. “He’s got 1000 likes! 1000 likes!”

Aaron and Calvin quickly turned their heads. Aaron in surprise, and Calvin in amusement. Aaron got up and ran straight towards Jiro’s laptop and stared into the screen.

It was true. He had gotten 1000 likes. Silence filled the room and Aaron’s mouth fell open.

~~

Author’s Note:

Hello again to those readers who’ve read my past fan fictions and hello to those new readers!

I like to count, so this is my fourth continuous fan fiction. Thanks for reading!

*Now, time for a little English lesson ^^ Spin the Bottle, as most of you may know, is a game where players sit in a circle and put a bottle in the middle of the circle. Then, of course, someone is chosen spin it. Whoever the bottle top is pointing to when it stops spinning, has to do a dare or make a confession or something. (There are many ways to play Spin the Bottle).

*Most of you might have Facebook, yes? Well basically, a page is…well, it’s kind of a little group thingy? And to ‘like’ it means you kind of join it? I can’t really explain, it’s kind of complicated. TT_________TT

And the dislike thing? Well, I don’t actually know how to not ‘like’ a page. I forgot. T_T But there’s actually no ‘dislike’ button on Facebook though some people have been wanting one.

Oh and by the way, if you’re wondering what that thing, in my fan fic poster Gui Gui is looking at, it’s my laptop. T_T I didn’t have a picture of anyone with a laptop so I decided to use my own one. IT WAS SO HARD TRYING TO GET THE PICTURE OF MY LAPTOP ON THE RIGHT ANGLE!! So yeah, that black-ish orange-ish thing is supposed to be a laptop.

Please leave a comment!! :D