Being Bullied

Just Because of A Facebook 'Like'

Gui Gui stared down at her desk. Black markings and writing of “scum!” and “how dare you yell at Aaron like that!?” and other insults covered her desk. She looked up at glared at her class. Most people quickly turned their heads away from her. She slid her bag off her shoulder and put it onto the floor.

As the bell rang for class, she sat down on her desk full of black markings just as Fahrenheit and Danson walked into the classroom. Each of them looked surprised as they stared at Gui Gui’s desk. Aaron looked especially surprised and a little more of something else.

Gui Gui ignored them. People had been bullying her like this for the past few days ever since that Facebook thing happened with Fahrenheit and Danson. She had hoped that she would have a peaceful school life but now she was dragged into a major incident. And it was all their fault.

~~~

Soon, their teacher, Ms. Yu came in. She took one look at Gui Gui’s desk, cleared and hitched her glasses further up her nose.

“Wu Ying Jie tong xue*,” She said. “What did you do to your desk?”

“Um,” Gui Gui said, slowly getting up from her desk. “I-“

“I don’t want any excuses,” Ms. Yu interrupted. “Wash it after school.” Aaron stared at Gui Gui as she sat back down and apologized to the teacher.

Why would people just go and wreck someone’s desk like that!? He thought. It was almost like how he was bullied when he was little. He shook his head. He didn’t want to remind himself again.

Aaron took a peek at Gui Gui during the lesson. For the whole lesson, she didn’t look at anyone except out the window.

~~~

As soon as the bell went for lunch, Gui Gui quickly got up and walked out of the classroom. She just wanted to quickly buy her lunch and hide in the toilet and eat there. She growled to herself.

If that stupid jerk didn’t do that stupid dare in the first place, I would’ve just peacefully eaten my lunch in the classroom where nobody noticed me! She thought, rapidly walking towards the canteen.

The whole canteen fell silent and looked at Gui Gui as soon as she stepped in. She felt terribly self-conscious but went to stand in line anyway. However, the line broke apart and everyone crowed in a circle around her. She looked around.

“So you’re not lining up anymore?” She said, her voice ringing out loudly in the silence. “Then I’m first in line, right? Awesome!” Gui Gui went forward to pick out her lunch but a girl stopped her.

“Who do you think you are?” She said coldly. “What makes you think you can just go and shame Aaron and reject him like that?” People started shouting at Gui Gui.

“Go out with him! Go out with him!” They yelled. “Shame on you! Shame on you!” Gui Gui blocked her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. She couldn’t bear it anymore. It was almost like the whole school was against her.

“STOP!” Gui Gui opened her eyes in surprise to see Aaron suddenly in front of her with his arms spread wide. He was facing the circle of students.

“Stop bullying her!” Aaron yelled again. “I’m the one who put up that Facebook page, okay!?” Nobody said anything for a while.

“B-But Aaron,” One girl said. “She rudely rejected you!” Others nodded in agreement.

“I-I don’t care,” He said.

“And she dared to insult you!” A boy yelled out.

“I know that,” Aaron said carefully. Everyone looked at each other, confused.

“I don’t care,” Another girl yelled. “No matter what you say, we need to protect you from this weed, Aaron!” Everyone roared in agreement. Aaron took Gui Gui by the hand and ran.

~~~

They ran and ran until Gui Gui’s legs ached.

“We can…” She puffed. “Stop now…We…lost them…” Aaron looked back and then stopped, making Gui Gui bump into him. He turned around and collapsed, puffing. Gui Gui sat down with him.

What was this guy thinking? Gui Gui thought. Dragging me running like that…

“Hey,” Aaron suddenly said. Gui Gui looked up. “Why don’t we just date each other for one day?”

Gui Gui stared at him.

Huh? Huh? HUUUUUHHHH!!!???

She stood up quickly.

“Wh-Wh-What are you saying!? W-Weirdo!!” She stuttered.

“No!” Aaron yelled. “I don’t mean it like that, idiot!”

“Whatcha call me!?” Gui Gui shouted.

“An idiot!” Aaron shouted back. “I-D-I-O-T!”

“I know how to spell!” She yelled. “Don’t have to spell it out for me!”

“Then you should get your ears checked next time when you go to the doctors!”

The two turned away from each other and crossed their arms, only saying, “Hmph!”

It was silent again. After a long while of thinking, Gui Gui lowered her head.

But…She thought. He saved me from that mob of students though…

She turned her head towards Aaron. His back was still facing her.

“Hey…” She said, feeling a little embarrassed. “Thanks for saving me back there though…” Aaron turned back at her.

“Yeah and uh…sorry for yelling at you before…” He said.

“Me too…” Gui Gui said.

Strange…She thought. He’s actually kind of nice…!

Then the bell went and they both safely went back to class.

~~

Author’s Note:

*Now it’s time for a little Chinese lesson! *puts on glasses and drags black board along* tong xue means student in Chinese.

The ‘x’ is xue is pronounced like “shuu” and then you add the ‘u’ which should be pronounced something like ‘oo’ and then the ‘e’ should be pronounced like ‘ehhh’.

So in addition it should sound something like “shuu-oo-ehh” :>

Yeah, I know. It sounds kind of weird but that’s how you pronounce it. For “tong”, the ‘g’ is kind of silent but you still kind of have to add it.

Hope I’ve helped! :3

Please comment~