So near yet so far

Goodbye, Hello

It's already been an hour since Taeyeon passed out in the living room. Yoona and Seohyun had already returned to Yulsic's house with Jessica driving them back. Yuri had decided to stay behind with Hyoyeon to help clean up the mess that they had made earlier. Sunny had went off to sleep since she was tired after preparing the food for the party from the moment she came back from work.

As Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyoyeon sat down on the floor after they were done with the chores, they stared at the sleeping Taeyeon who seemed to fit in nicely in the couch.

"She looked so stressed out even when she sleeps." Yuri said as she pointed to the little frown that had appeared on Taeyeon's face.

"This is the first time that I saw Taeng-unnie sleeping with that expression." Hyoyeon said. "She used to have a peaceful expression when she sleeps."

"What do you think she's dreaming off right now?" Sooyoung asked and as if it was on cue, they heard some mumbling sounds coming from Taeyeon.

"Mianhae... mianhae Fany-ah... mianhae."

Even though it was very soft but since the room was in total silence, Taeyeon's mumbled words was heard clearly. Hyoyeon suddenly stood up and walked away to the kitchen, shocking Yuri and Sooyoung who then followed her.

"Hey, Hyo. What's wrong?" Sooyoung asked as she placed her hand on Hyoyeon's shoulders who had her back turned away from them.

Both Yuri and Sooyoung were surprised when Hyoyeon brushed Sooyoung's hand away. They watched as Hyoyeon's hands grabbed the edge of the dining table before she turned around.

"Initially, I thought I was fine when both of you apologised for not taking care of my unnie. But when I heard her saying that you actually laughed at her when she was expressing her troubles, I couldn't accept it at all." Hyoyeon's eyes was watery as she glared at both Yuri and Sooyoung.

"Hyo." Yuri's pleading voice made Sooyoung had her head bowed down, feeling guilty.

(Flashback)

"Don't worry, Hyo. I'll come back on the weekends to spend time with you, whenever I'm free." Taeyeon patted on Hyoyeon's head as her sister continued to sulk.

"Why do all of you have to stay in the dorm? Won't it be better to just travel to and fro to campus? I'll be all alone here. Who's going to play with me?" Hyoyeon rebutted as she folded her arms.

"Aigoo.. Yoona and Seohyun will still be around, Hyo. Furthermore, it saves us travelling time. You won't want your Taeng-unnie to be tired from her daily travelling, right?" Yuri asked as Hyoyeon looked at her before shaking her head slowly.

"Don't worry. Me and Yul will take care of your unnie. We know that deep down inside, you're just worried about her." Sooyoung smiled as she held out her pinky. "Let's do a pinky promise that we'll take care of your unnie and protect her."

Yuri also held out her pinky as the 3 of them linked their fingers together while Taeyeon just watched and shook her head.

"You made fun of Unnie's plight. You called her childish. You hurt her feelings." Hyoyeon continued to express her feelings as tears ran down her cheeks.

Sooyoung who wanted to calm her down, walked up to her but was taken aback when Hyoyeon suddenly grabbed her by the collar.

"You broke your promise to take care and protect her. Wae? Wae?! WAE?!!!"

Without realising, Hyoyeon's anger had overwhelmed her as her loud voice erupted through the silent night. Yuri started to panic as she quickly covered Hyoyeon's mouth while trying to loosen Hyoyeon's grip on Sooyoung's collar.

"What's going on in here?" A groggy voice was heard near the entrance of the kitchen. "Aigoo.. my head. I remembered drinking only one can of beer though."

The 3 girls, who had their hands all tangled up, only managed to turn their heads to look at a dishevelled looking Taeyeon who was blinking her eyes at them.

"What are the 3 of you doing in the kitchen? Where are the rest of the girls?" Taeyeon staggered towards them as she slowly lifted up her hand to look at her watch. "Omo, it's already midnight? How long have I been sleeping?... Aigoo, my head is killing me."

Taeyeon grabbed the edge of the dining table before she sat on one of the chairs. When Taeyeon showed a gesture of asking for water, Hyoyeon quickly released her hand from Sooyooung and grabbed a cup of water for her sister. Sooyoung and Yuri then stood away, afraid of what Hyoyeon was going to do next.

"Were you guys fighting earlier? What was it about? Food?" Taeyeon asked as she gulped down the remaining water in the cup. "Don't get too physical with each other. Friends will fight sometimes but we should always stick together."

"I don't want to be friends with people who are insensitive to other people's feelings and also who can't keep a simple promise." Hyoyeon's voice was filled with anger as Taeyeon frowned at her little sister.

"What's wrong, Hyo? Why do you sound so angry?" Taeyeon said as she turned to look at Yuri and Sooyoung. "And how come the two of you are standing so far away from us?"

Before Sooyoung and Yuri could reply, the kitchen was suddenly filled with a familiar voice from earlier. The voice of a drunk Taeyeon who was expressing her feelings that she had kept over the years. As Taeyeon's eyes widened in disbelief, Sooyoung and Yuri had their jaws dropped while they stared at a phone on the table. Hyoyeon had recorded the whole conversation earlier without anyone realising.

"My love for her... Never change."

The moment Taeyeon heard that last sentence, she suddenly stood up and looked at Hyoyeon before shifting her eyes to Sooyoung and Yuri

"Explain." Taeyeon's voice was calm but there was a tint of anger in them.

************************

"I can't believe this." Taeyeon rubbed her temples as she took a deep breathe. Closing her eyes to calm herself down, she took a minute before she looked up at the 3 girls who were now seated on the couch in the living room opposite of her. Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyoyeon had explained everything about their plan to make her drunk and also about what Hyoyeon had told them before with regards to the blackmailing. Taeyeon was about to say something but she sighed before she slumped back into the chair.

"Taengoo..." Sooyoung was the first one who broke the silence among them. "I'm sorry. For neglecting you and being insensitive to your feelings."

"Hyo was right. She has every right to be angry with us." Yuri added on as she sniffed, trying to control her tears. "I'm sorry, Taeng. Things won't have ended this way if we had been more considerate. You and Fany..."

Before Yuri could complete her sentence, she was stopped by Taeyeon who had lifted up her hand as a sign to ask Yuri to stop talking.

"Whatever happened between Fany and I, has got nothing to do with anyone else. It was my mistake. I allowed others to take advantage of me and I assumed that Fany had a change of heart." Taeyeon sighed as she bite her lips. "Hyo, don't blame your Soo-unnie and Yul-unnie. It's not their fault."

When Hyoyeon heard her sister's words, she slowly nodded her head and turned to apologise to Sooyoung and Yuri. Silence filled the air again as they stared into thin air, each of them being lost in their own thoughts.

"Taengoo, if you were given a chance to set things right with Fany, would you take it?" Sooyoung suddenly asked, causing Yuri and Hyoyeon to sit up straight.

As they waited for Taeyeon to straightened herself, they noticed her sad smile.

"Do you think Fany even thinks of me? I don't know why but I kept thinking that she hates me. For leaving without telling her. For breaking up with her without a proper reason. Even if I wanted to set things right, do you think she will accept me back?" Taeyeon eyes was watery. "It's been almost 4yrs. She has never attended the reunion and even though she's only a few hours flight away from me, I couldn't bring myself to face her."

Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyoyeon had a confused expresion on their faces as they looked at each other with widened eyes.

"Wait a minute. Did you just say a few hours of flight away, Unnie?" Hyoyeon asked as Taeyeon nodded her head. "You mean you knew where Fany-unnie is?"

"She's in Japan. Working for some fashion company if I'm not wrong." Taeyeon answered casually.

"Mwo?"

The 3 girls replied at the same time, shocking Taeyeon and even themselves with their loud replies.

"You never attended the reunion all these while. How did you know that Fany never attended it too?" Yuri asked.

"And how did you know that Fany is in Japan? You even knew about her job." Sooyoung intercepted, even before Taeyeon could reply to Yuri.

"Remember when both of you messaged me to inform me that Fany had decided to return to the States straight after graduation?" Taeyeon looked at Sooyoung and Yuri who nodded their heads.

 "You told us that you're coming back before our graduation." Yuri replied.

"But you didn't came back. I can't believe that you continued staying in Japan for another month before finally coming back." Sooyoung said while shaking her head.

"I wanted to fly back as soon as possible to stop Fany from leaving and explain everything to her. But I couldn't. So I decided to contact Appa Hwang, Fany's dad and explained everything to him. Appa Hwang and I have been keeping in touch regularly through emails since I came back to Korea. It was through him that I found out details about Fany." Taeyeon smiled a little when she saw the shocked look on the 3 girls faces.

"Did Fany know that you were keeping in touch with her dad?" Yuri asked as Taeyeon shook her head.

"Appa Hwang wanted to tell her but I told him that I prefer to explain everything to Fany myself but until now, I couldn't find the courage to do so." Taeyeon sighed as she closed her eyes and covered her face. Soon, sobbing sounds could be heard. "I'm such.. a coward... I'm scared. What if she doesn't love me anymore? What if she's got someone new? What if all she has for me is hate? What if it's just too late for me to explain everything? Thoughts like these are the reason as to why I kept procrastinating about meeting her."

Taeyeon's sobbings soon turned into full-blown cries as Hyoyeon, Sooyoung and Yuri quickly went up to her sides to comfort her. Seeing their bestfriend in that state, the other 3 had tears in their eyes too but they had to stay strong for Taeyeon.

"Unnie, we're all here for you. You shouldn't have been carrying all this pain for so long." Hyoyeon started to pat her sister's back.

"We didn't do our part as your friend to help you when you needed us but we're going to make amends." Yuri said as Sooyoung agreed with her.

"Since you've already said that you still love Fany, we're going to help you to get her back." Sooyoung said with determination. "But you have to be strong instead of crying like this."

"What if she rejects me? I can't bear to be rejected by her." Taeyeon bite her lips and frowned as she tried to stop herself from crying.

"All of us had not seen her since graduation and we didn't even have any contacts with her at all since then. I'm not sure if fate is on your side but Yoona and Seohyun met up with Fany just recently." Yuri said, causing Taeyeon to have her eyes wide opened and her jaws dropped. "We told them to find out more about Fany."

Sooyoung then handed over the brown file which Yoona had showed to the girls earlier. As Taeyeon browsed through the daily report that the private investigator had done, she smiled a little.

"Typical of Fany to be so passionate about what she does." Taeyeon suddenly said as the other 3 girls smiled along.

"She's exactly like you. Workaholic" Sooyoung commented and was just about to say something when she saw Taeyeon staring at something.

"What the....?" Taeyeon didn't complete her sentence as she looked up and threw a photo on the table. "Please don't tell me that they're together."

Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyoyeon didn't have to look at the scattered photos to know who Taeyeon was talking about.

"They're not. At least that's what the private investigator thinks from his point of view." Sooyoung said.

"Unnie, you said that you kept in contact with Uncle Hwang right. Don't you think he would have told you about it if Fany-unnie is already in a relationship?" Hyoyeon's remarks made Sooyoung and Yuri nodded their heads instantly.

"But why is he with her in the photo?" Taeyeon sighed as she stared at a different photo of Tiffany, taken when she was alone in a cafe.

"My wife said that maybe they have some business connections since Nicky also owns a fashion company." Yuri answered Taeyeon's question. "Furthermore, Yoong said that she's not married. That's what Fany's colleagues told Yoong."

"Unnie, stop procrastinating. You've wasted almost 4yrs of your life without her. It's time you do something to get your happiness back." Hyoyeon grabbed Taeyeon's hands. "And we'll help you out. Supporting you in any way possible."